Prologue | Discuss Lethal White! | Discuss

Prologue
02/13/2019 - 8:01 pm

I´m re reading LW and I love the prologue. Love how he feel when saw them dancing and realized that he was hopping she didn´t married, and when she saw he left the salon and leave M in front of all. The hug!!!! What a moment!!!!!!
Sorry for my english, I don´t speak english a lot

10/01/2018 - 3:48 pm

wossname said
Upon reading, I found the second sentence very clever:

"He was loath to change the couple’s position, because the soft light beneath the canopy of trees was turning the bride, with her loose red-gold curls, into a *pre-Raphaelite* angel and emphasising the *chiselled* cheekbones of her husband."

Note that Rowling managed to place the two words "pre-Raphaelite" and "chiselled" close to each other. I'm more than convinced it was not a coincidence since "chiselled" sounds like "Chiswell" and "pre-Raphaelite" is a nod to another character. The line almost gave everything away.

WOW!!! That's so good!!!

wossname
10/01/2018 - 2:45 pm

Upon reading, I found the second sentence very clever:

09/29/2018 - 10:19 pm

I really enjoyed the prologue, I liked Robin’s brother that Cormoran was sitting with & I loved the hug. I would have liked to see Robin go back in to the reception sort it out.

09/27/2018 - 11:34 am

EverybodyNeedsShanker said
I've finished reading last weekend late-late at night. Just got the chance to register here and share my thoughts.
So prologue. What a ride, you guys!!!
I started reading the book at the airport in Turkey while waiting for my plane to go home. I totally forgot where i was. Rowling absolutely knows how to work her magic.
As I've told a friend the other day, prologue here is the place where comedy and tragedy collide. As previous fellow readers pointed, photographer's point of view was very interesting as he's one of the very few guests who's not involved with the story. Good to hear thoughts from unbiased witness.
My favourite thing that I guess was not mentioned here earlier is swans metaphor. Swans repeatedly appear through the story. And at the very beginning they are not close to each other, much like Strike and Robin. Quite far away they are, so the photographer can't take a proper picture. Someone said those swans represent Robin and Matthew. But to they are disvonnected Cormoran and Robin. So will they ever meet? Because we all know very well that once swans get together they are bonded for life
(SPOILER ALERT! Check the very last sentence of the epilogue))))
Also the hug. Oh that hug is worth a milloon kisses and whatnot. Beautifully written. Masterpeace.
On the other notes, I loved family communication. Robin's brothers are great humans and understand their sister way better than she thinks. I loved their attitude towards Strike. He is obviously very welcomed in their circle.
So many thoughts. Sorry, i'm all over the place after reading this book. Need to collect my opinions and post some more on the other chapters' discussion.

i absolutely love Robin's family. Especially the brother who hits Matthew!

09/26/2018 - 7:46 pm

So prologue. What a ride, you guys!!!
(SPOILER ALERT! Check the very last sentence of the epilogue))))

09/24/2018 - 10:15 pm

Nelli_ said

Mrs. Tebben said
I haven't been able to figure out how Strike knows about the deleted phone call history.

I think he just guesses it. Robin was saying she didn't get any calls, when did you call? And Matthew was standing next to them, maybe he looked teeny bit guilty?

This is the obvious answer.

Nelli_
09/24/2018 - 3:32 pm

Mrs. Tebben said

09/24/2018 - 2:52 pm

Hello everyone:

In the receiving line at the wedding, she finds out from him that he had called a couple of times and left a message two days ago. Robin asks her mother to add Strike to a table and Linda leads him away.
Only then does Robin confront Matt.

She and Matt go to sit at the head table for dinner. She and Strike gaze at each other across the crowded room
but don't speak. Then after the speeches Robin marches upstairs, Matt following, and they fight. They come back downstairs for the dance, and Strike can't bear to watch them so he leaves. Robin follows after him and we get the hug! on the stairs! but they don't mention the blocked calls etc.

In chapter one we learn about Robin calling Strike and Coco answering up his phone.

So, when and how does he find out?

09/22/2018 - 7:54 pm

Loved the prologue. I was on a train from Glasgow to Edinburgh, when I started reading it. By the time I reached Edinburgh, I had completed only 15 pages! In an hour!!! I must have read each line at least thrice. The hug was awesome!

09/20/2018 - 9:26 pm

The Prologue is such a triumph. JK so skillfully combines all the elements to create a tour de force, from following through on the cliffhanger at the end of COE, maintaining true to the main characters while giving insights to new and minor ones and describing the disastrous wedding with both comedy and pathos, foreshadowed through the jaundiced eye of the photographer. And that moment of spontaneity and truth between Robin and Cormoran will be hard to beat!'

09/19/2018 - 9:55 pm

So much happened it made one dizzy. Rowling put everything in this beginning that the fans were asking for. Very satisfying, but, did anyone think that Robin's actions were out of character for her. She married Matt because she couldn't disappoint her parents (and the money), and I don't think she would have called off the wedding even if Strike had contacted her. Her actions at the reception were surprising to me.

dropletguest
09/18/2018 - 7:02 pm

(posting from guest account while I wait for my confirmation email..)

That was such a chapter. So much happened (but also so little?). Kinda wish we'd gotten so see Shanker and Robin('s wedding guests) interact.

Agree with the people who have mentioned that the photographer's pov was very interesting!

Also bit of a thing from last book still, but how normal is it to not have the login of your partner's phone when you're in such a long relationship? Seems a bit weird to me.

Meghan
09/18/2018 - 5:46 pm

Thank you JK, for cutting right to the chase. What an incredible opening. It felt electric. Some quick thoughts:

-The wedding photographer's perspective was a terrific entry to the book. I thought the whole scene was reminiscent of the dress-fitting scene in Career of Evil.
- Poor Strike. Who hasn't wanted to stay in the bathroom at a terrible party?
- Robin's brother Stephen sounds alright
- Suck it, Sarah Shadlock
- Strike's reaction to Robin's father's speech was so lovely. His annoyance that no mention was made of her achievements, career or the incredible trials she has survived was a testament to the depth of their friendship.
- "Come with me" *heart implodes*
- OK. Anyone else think the lovely "loose waves" that Robin's hair was described as having at the wedding wasn't quite reflected in the slightly fussy style she wore in the TV series?

09/18/2018 - 9:07 am

Wow! What a ride, and that was just the prologue! I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. I just love their relationship, be it professional, be it as friends... (It's only possibly romantic on Strike's side as of yet.)

Robin taking off her wedding ring had me thinking, alright, she's going to get an annulment asap, right?! I hope that was foreshadowing for that. Oh well, she's a clever girl.

09/18/2018 - 5:32 am

Oh I loved the prologue. I've been hoping it would be something like this; I thought it would be too weird if Robin would run away with Strike, but I love it that she contemplates is for a second. And the embrace at the end, so lovely and emotional. We've been waiting three years for this!

Now I have to work. So stupid of me to plan a meeting this morning. What was I thinking?

Tiger
09/18/2018 - 4:16 am

OMG I have to wait a whole day still. Can't you guys give us a hint? I was browsing for
crumbs here.

Jen
09/18/2018 - 1:42 am

I am still reading but I just had to come on here and shout out my *love* and *heartache* caused by the prologue!! 💔 I literally felt my chest cave in as I was reading it... And its just gotten soooo much more so as each chapter passes but more on that later and hopefully something a bit more coherent after some sleep!

Can't wait to read others thoughts. Seriously though, how much do you want to bang those two idiots heads together?!

09/17/2018 - 11:56 pm

Can’t wait to hear what people think!