Charlotte | Discuss Lethal White! | Discuss

Charlotte
11/20/2018 - 9:48 am

In chapter 33 Charlotte says about Robin-

“You’ve always liked girls with that coloring, haven’t you?” said Charlotte
with a kind of synthetic gaiety. “That little American you started dating after you
pretended we’d broken up in Germany had the same kind of—”

Melanie
11/09/2018 - 4:31 pm

I think it's obvious that Strike has feelings for Robin,we can't call them love yet cause he hasn't even confirmed his feelings for himself so far.He still thinks that the only woman he ever loved is Charlotte and that no other woman can replace her in his heart but this is going to change through out the series.That's the plan and the most iconic thing about Robin &Strike relationship.They haven't fall for eachother in the first moment but gradually.

10/20/2018 - 11:42 pm

There has been so, so much emphasis on Charlotte's beauty -- how she turns heads everywhere she goes, and so on. We are a little hammered over the head with the many times her beauty is referred to.

That being said, at least in my humble opinion, I'm not sure the actress they chose for the television series is head-turning gorgeous enough to live up to the written word. I looked up images of her from various projects and she looked more attractive in most of them than in Strike, so perhaps they can use makeup to dial things up? Don't get me wrong -- I do think she is very attractive -- but Charlotte's looks are at a legendary level. I'm not sure who would be up to the task of playing that part! Maybe the bar has been set too high.

10/15/2018 - 3:00 pm

I think this new song is perfect for Cormoran and Charlotte.

feature=youtu.be&app=desktop

09/27/2018 - 5:10 pm

Nelli_ said

Agreed! Beauty isn't everything and a lot of it comes from character in which Robin wins always.

JK says that he dislikes Matthew and it shows in her writing of him - I always took this as sure sing they'd break up at one point. Has anyone any memory of a positive line about Charlotte? I think everyone dislikes her, even without comparison to Robin. Should we take this as (one more) sing to not worry about old Charlie?

Well, apart from the fact that Strike sometimes admits to himself they do share some happy memories, not all the time it was so bad, I cannot honestly recall any positivity towards her. I don't think we should be worried, Charlie might be a mild obstacle on a bumpy road, but they'll be fine. We shall have faith in them!

Nelli_
09/27/2018 - 3:49 pm

EverybodyNeedsShanker said
I knew that the frase about Charlotte being the most beautiful bla-bla-bla will cause a lot of discussion. To my mind he is getting over good old nutty Char more and more (sorry, probably too obvious I'm not her biggest fan, oh well...). He's still in some way or another attracted to her, because 16 years, years. Come on, it's loads of time, a lifetime almost. It doesn't go away that easy.
And I absolutely agree with those who said that he's clearly already has strong feelings for Robin.
Also I firmly believe that you can consider someone even drop dead beautiful, but not be in love with this person. Yes, Charlotte is the most beautiful woman in the universe, but Robin might be more beautiful to him, she is million other more important things to Strike.

09/26/2018 - 8:32 pm

09/23/2018 - 11:03 pm

Teajenny said
I do agree with you Iris in that Strike and Charlotte definitely had a profound and meaningful impact on one another and it was love for both of them in their own way, however, even with her caring for him after his injury, she still psychologically messed the poor guy up far too much to be healthily. Similarly to Charlotte, Robin has stuck by Strike at his lowest points too (financially etc) so that could be viewed in the same way perhaps? I just feel that right now Strike isn't "in love" with Robin as perhaps the earlier part of the book indicated (what with the angst etc) and still very much hung up on Charlotte after having seen her again. If that's the case then Robin should look for someone else until Strike wakes up a bit...

Definitely agree with your estimation that both characters still don't know what they feel for one another as it's a very different kind of love than the one they're both used to (such as first love which they have both experienced deeply). I just really hope JK finds a way of bringing them together that 0shows each values the other as the most special person in the world to them... but that's just the soppy moo in me coming out!

Strike has kept Robin at a safe distance, because of Matthew. Even before he met her, she was engaged to Matthew. It is obvious that Strike has feelings for Robin, but he doesn't wan't to worm his way into her heart. What Strike thinks of Matthew is quite obvious, but he can't say that to Robin, can he? When she finally dumps Matthew, we can see Strike's relief and he tells her what he thoughts about Matthew.

Robin has also stuck by Strike at some of the lowest points in his life. There is a certain invisible distance between Strike and Robin - at times, he is reluctant to ask for her help. I hope that as the story moves forward, probably in the next book, they would discover their feelings for each other.

Strike has a certain way (a bad one) with women - Lorelei, for instance. He is afraid to commit himself to serious relationships. I am not surprised, given how he has suffered in his childhood and with the loss of his leg. Strike notes that Robin is the only woman who has not tried to change him - who has accepted him the way he is. I would be disappointed if Strike and/or Robin find other partners, in the future series.

Admit it, what makes the series different from other detectives is the friendship between Strike and Robin. It is the evolution of their relationship that takes the series forward. The Prologue of Lethal White was so beautiful. I hope the intensity is captured onscreen, pretty soon.

09/23/2018 - 4:08 pm

Nelli_ said
"However, the ability to section off his emotions, of which Charlotte had always complained, and to which Lorelei had dedicated a lenghty paragraph of the email -- had never failed him yet"

I absolutely agree. I also thought (even before you mentioned here) that this will be crutial when judging how deep his love towards Robin is!

On the second reading I don't find it as obvious that Robin is the most difficult one to push out of his focus... And it kind of reads that he doesn't care about Lorelei but _Matthew_ is the one occupying his thoughts 😀

Maybe it’s not exactly that but is suspicious at least.
Maybe the final solution will be that with Robin work and love will unite. 🙂

Nelli_
09/23/2018 - 2:02 pm

The quotes I promised in my last post:

Chapter 49, after thinking about Charlotte, Lorelei and Robin:

Chapter 56, after thinking about Robin and Matthew:

"Nevertheless -- Strike's thoughts continued to eddy around Robin and Matthew until --"

And Chapter 60, after thoughts of Robin, Matthew and possible pregnancy:

"-- but it took him a little longer than usual to discipline his troubled mind back into obedience. "

Nelli_
09/21/2018 - 1:13 pm

I think there's a bit of longing towards Charlotte still but did you notice how after meeting/thinking about her, Cormoran didn't have any trouble moving his thoughts back to work (can't find the line right now...) but after thinking about Robin there was a line about how it was "little more difficult than usual" for him to focus at work again?

I'm pretty sure that happened. I'll quote them here if I remember while I re-read during the weekend.

Also the perfume. "oh yes, that smells like Charlotte's brand. You can by it from a store" vs. "the faint perfume he misses when Robin's not at the office" which is mentioned multiple times.

Smells are important. Remember the love potion with smells of true love in Harry Potter (6?)

I'm sure there're other pointers too. I'm not that worried about his feelings toward her but she might still cause havoc. On Robert’s new Q&A at the authors web site/ about mentions Edingburgh as a possible place they visit because Charlotte is from Scotland. That is worrying. But still the smells. He's over Charlotte.

09/21/2018 - 9:45 am

By the way, could somebody confirm me that the Catullus quote I hate and I love comes up only once, on the note Robin found? Why was it there, was it anywhere explained in the book? I read it through very quickly and I may have missed it.

I always thought that it will be connected somehow to Charlotte, when Rowling mentioned it in a Twitter post...

09/21/2018 - 9:31 am

Teajenny said
I just feel that right now Strike isn't "in love" with Robin

'Oh,' said Strike. 'Shit. I'm sorry.'
But his concerned expression was at total odds with his actual feelings. His dark mood had lightened so abruptly that it was akin to having moved from sober to three pints down. The smell of rubber and dust and burned grass recalled the car park where he had accidentally kissed her, and he drew on his cigarette again and tried hard not to let his feelings show in his face.

This is when Robin finally told him that she broke up with Matthew.

If this is not love, then what is?

Teajenny
09/21/2018 - 4:30 am

Iris
09/21/2018 - 4:05 am

Wait now--have to defend him here. Charlotte might be selfish but she was his kairos moment-she came in and took care of him at his lowest. We know she was selfish ultimately but I do think they had something genuine.

And Robin thinks of him as a 'pube-head'--there wasn't a whole lot of that in this book but I always thought that was not very mature either. I don't think either of these characters know fully what they feel--it is too scary a proposition.

Teajenny
09/21/2018 - 1:39 am

Thanks librarian! Glad to hear someone else agrees with me. I've finished the book now and it's still the bit winding me up the most. It seems so strange... how can he go from considering Robin so often in his thoughts prior to seeing Charlotte again, to just dismissing Robin and dreaming about his ex once more?? 🤔 I really feel like Cormoran has a lot of growing up to do emotionally before he is deserving of someone as good and beautiful (inside and out) as Robin. Charlotte (no matter how funny he finds her) made his life a misery at times and if he is honestly so obnoxious as to see only her beauty, then he definitely doesn't deserve our wonderful Robin in my humble opinion. Lorelei was bang on the mark with her email! I hope he gets a real boot up the a**e when it comes to Charlotte and starts to appreciate the beauty that is his partner, both physically and personality wise because if he can't, then he and charlotte truly deserve each other and Robin should ride the wave of independence and freedom and then find someone worthy of her should she want to. Maybe then he will realise how much of a twat he is being. Sorry. I am just so annoyed with the inconsistency of his feelings... the first part of the book is pure angst over Robin before he sees Charlotte, then its back to one armed hugs with robin like they're nothing more than good pals. Anyway, rant over! Lol.

09/20/2018 - 11:29 pm

I am so glad someone brought this up about the horrible Charlotte. I hate to say it, but, I think Strike would go back to her even if he didn't want to. She is such a monster, would give up those babies if Cormoran would eventually take her back. He now keeps thinking about her, in book three he hardly thought about his feelings for her. I agree with Teajenny he is not over Charlotte. We will have to wait now about two years to see if Charlotte reappears.

Teajenny
09/20/2018 - 3:10 am

Sorry I meant to put this post in the other forum bit. Please delete if needed!!

Teajenny
09/20/2018 - 3:08 am

I wasn't at all surprised by Charlotte showing up in this book, actually I expected it but god I hated it because I love Robin and Corm so much. Its quite obvious that Cormoran isn't at all over her though and still considers her "the most beautiful person" he has ever seen and the only one he has ever truly loved. How do you all feel this will play out for Robin? Bit tough falling for someone who will never view you as the most beautiful woman he has ever wanted or loved right? I just feel a bit flat about that. Mind you, I've still got a little bit left of the book to go but needed to vent my thoughts! 🙂