Chapter 69 and Epilogue | Discuss Lethal White! | Discuss

Chapter 69 and Epilogue
Rufusinvicto
07/08/2019 - 6:47 pm

Wait ...am I alone in expecting Jeff Whittaker or Donald Laing to kidnap Charlotte or at least someone really close to her, thus forcing Strike and Robin to rescue her? I have this weird feeling some awful event is going to catalyse Strike and Charlotte working together somehow and getting them deeper into things...and somehow Robin having to save Charlotte from something ghastly and twisting Strike's feelings even more... It seems farfetched but there's so much potential with these characters. For some reason I just hate the idea of Robin ending up with Strike, because frankly she's way too good for him. He's not awful like Matthew but I can't say I'm fond of him to be honest. He pretty much is a jerk to the women we've seen him with.

10/07/2018 - 4:31 pm

crapname said

Dont normally go on things like this, but I am equally confused about the man in Finsbury Park. Is it just as simple as a new client or am I missing something as well.

I agree with EverybodyNeedsShanker, the man in Finsbury Park might be their new client, which probably we'll meet in book 5. Asked this on youtube too, and yeah JK Rowling likes to put some tease in the ending, that links to the next book.

10/07/2018 - 10:58 am

Hello everyone, damn what a ride this novel is. I'm a bit clueless at this part, have you guys had an idea who's the guys that Robin is going to meet before dinner with Strike, Nick and Ilsa? The man in Finsbury park? Am I missing something?

Also, I don't feel good about the twin swans symbolism in the end since Robin passed it while going to meet the Finsbury Park man, and also walking away from Strike. Any of you guys have a theory?

10/01/2018 - 3:46 pm

riverlynn said

Maybe I'm a bit overthinking. I remember how in the prologue, when Matthew has enough with the photoshoot and releases Robin, the swan starts to paddle its way to its mate. In the epilogue, Robin passes the twin-swan when she part ways from Strike, not when together with Strike. Maybe it's because they will meet again eventually in the dinner? Yeah I really hope it's your theory, that the twin swans appear because they're both single and have a possibility to be together, partner in crime for life 🙂

Yes! That's right. Partners in crime for life!
I think they stood quite close to that house with the swans when the final dialogue happened. So I guess we can agree that it counts)) They are meant for each other)))
Also to me swans in the prologue can be Strike and Robin as well as Matthew and Robin. They can't meet to help make that awesome photograph of a doomed couple. Those swans are almost on the different sides like Strike and Robin for a good third of the book.

10/01/2018 - 2:36 pm

EverybodyNeedsShanker said
I absolutely loved the swans metaphor through out the book. It's just beautiful. Yes, swans mate for life!!!

It's all well. The Finsbury Park man to me is just a guy who's needed for their current case. Both of them are in a happy place at that moment, but they are also very focused on their work, that's why Robin passes by those twin swans and doesn't pay attention. Both Cormoran and Robin have no freaking idea that they are meant to be like swans)))) They need to walk this way further to dee the truth)

09/30/2018 - 4:20 pm

riverlynn said

09/30/2018 - 3:48 pm

Teajenny
09/25/2018 - 3:54 am

I definitely agree that Charlotte still exerts a significant hold over Strike and we will probably see more of her in book 5. I can't imagine she's the type to just give up when she's decided she's going to have him back... I really hope that Strike is asked to make the choice: Charlotte or a partnership (be it working relationship or more...) with Robin and he chooses the latter. He might think himself still affected by Charlotte but lets face it, it wasn't her wedding he crashed (sort of!). Still though, plenty of Charlotte drama ahead I'm sure.

09/24/2018 - 10:18 pm

BR said

I think eventually Charlotte will pull some final massive crime against Strike, maybe not in the next book, but later on, where she frames him for her death, Strike ends up in custody and Robin will have to do the majority of the detective work to exonerate him.

Typical Charlotte, I would say, of this plot line.

BR
09/24/2018 - 7:52 pm

abhinavka said

Charlotte seems to have a strange power over Strike. Even with her leaving him, marrying Jago and having a couple of kids, I felt Strike quivers in her presence. Strike has seen through her character, but is still unable to let her go. Strange. At least he should concentrate on Robin, now that Matthew is out of the picture.

09/24/2018 - 7:15 am

I also have a similar question, actually.

In chapter 51 Robin finds a "thick, folded piece of paper" in the bathroom of Flick, hidden in a sanitary towel. "A few disjointed words and phrases were scrawled in the distinctive, cramped handwriting Robin had seen so often in Chiswell's office, and in the middle of the page one word had been circled many times."

At the bottom of the page, there was a Catullus quotation in latin. I hate and I love. Why do I do it, you might ask? I don't know. I just feel it.

Why was it there? I couldn't get it... OK, Chiswell loved latin, but didn't love Kinvara, I guess. So - why?

09/24/2018 - 6:55 am

indianaguy said

I think this is the answer. We know from chapter 25 that "Robin gathered, from the side of the conversation that she could hear, that" he claimed he might have left it "at a hotel where he and Kinvara had spent the night of her birthday."

Still in the Same chapter, when Robin tells him what she learned of Winn, he was happier than Robin ever saw him before, and said: 'Well, well, well, this is turning out to be a rather good day. One by one, they trip themselves up... so Winn's a thief and a liar and maybe more?' And then he offered her a PA job which Robin refused. His reaction: 'Hmm. Well, perhaps it's better this way. I might well have a bit more work for you, once we've got rid of Winn and Knight. Off you go, then.'

He was never at that hotel, actually. She was there with Raphael. This is what Chiswell was after, and he was happy because he found out that Kinvara was really there.

In chapter 68, the police is asking her about all of it:
'To return to the subject of the hotel. Why do you think your husband called them, trying to ascertain--'

indianaguy
09/23/2018 - 10:14 pm

Can someone please explain the whole "money clip" thing to me? Was it actually lost? If so, how? Did Criswell call the hotel to legitimately find it, and that's when he started to piece things together regarding his wife and Raff? Or was it never lost in the first place (found in his pocket, after all), and he was pretending it was lost so he had an excuse to call the hotel?

Probably not the most important detail, but after 600-some pages of intense clue-following, I feel invested. Thanks!

09/23/2018 - 5:05 pm

and not to forget we will need to know what it is that the lawyer has to tell Robin... I would expect that Matt will get vicious. He will moan and tear up for a while, but as soon

I can't remember a single good thing about Matthew, having read all the 4 books! Robin's brother punching him made me so happy!

09/23/2018 - 5:03 pm

well, I’m quite worried about what Charlotte said him at the end of their “meeting” at Franco’s:
‘Wouldn’t you rather have had advance warning that I want you back?’
I think in book five we’ll see even more Charlotte... 🙁

09/23/2018 - 4:37 pm

‘Wouldn’t you rather have had advance warning that I want you back?’
I think in book five we’ll see even more Charlotte... 🙁

09/23/2018 - 4:15 pm

abhinavka said
I was worried over the prospect of Charlotte trying to worm into Strike's life, again. Well, I am at peace now.

‘Wouldn’t you rather have had advance warning that I want you back?’
I think in book five we’ll see even more Charlotte... 🙁

09/22/2018 - 7:52 pm

Definitely, both seem to be happy about the other being single. I don't know if their getting together would affect their professional life, though.

Irene
09/22/2018 - 7:18 pm

Swans are the birds that mate for life. They remain single when their partner dies.

Nelli_
09/22/2018 - 4:25 pm

I wish the epilogue was longer but I'm pretty happy with it. The two swans in the end... Loveeeed that. I'm so grateful for that tip about them getting together or at least belonging together. I'm guessing we won't see them getting together before some more drama.

Or am I reading too much into the swans? It's been a theme trough this books, I think?