Chapter 26 | Discuss Lethal White! | Discuss

Chapter 26
10/21/2018 - 4:44 pm

I keep coming back to this chapter. It had such a "we interrupt this program for an important message" feeling to it. There are lots of tidbits to ponder!

Strike drops everything to go the hospital for Lucy (his mother's child) and be surrogate parent, despite all the times he'd purposely avoided family gatherings and that he felt only a detached affection for Jack.

Jack looks like Leda.

Strike is filled with guilt and can't help crying.

Robin appearing in the ward doorway harkens back to the kairos moment with Charlotte.

Echoes of the other times Strike was vulnerable, but fought back with rage. His defenses are down this time. He is "unguarded" when Robin comes to join him.

And, of course, the kiss! The tactile feeling itself, not just the memory, lingers in both their minds. (made me think of a certain Golden Snitch!)

Barclay again described as being like Robin. Hope he never shows up on a case wearing a red shirt. 🙂

10/13/2018 - 2:21 pm

Do you think that Ciara's name was deliberately wrong in Lethal White?

I would think it is just a mistake from the side of Rowling, as there are actually quite a few similar ones in the book...

It's been confirmed recently by the publisher (on twitter) that it was an error in Galbraith's part. So yeah.. turns out my theory is wrong then.

10/08/2018 - 10:10 am

Do you think that Ciara's name was deliberately wrong in Lethal White?

Might be as well rushed editing. The stupidest mistakes in the books are done like that more often than not. Statistically speaking an average editor misses 20% of mistakes during reading.

10/08/2018 - 8:19 am

riverlynn said

Do you think that Ciara's name was deliberately wrong in Lethal White?

10/01/2018 - 2:21 pm

"I've been a bloody terribly uncle. I don't know any of their birthdays. I couldn't have told you how old he was."

This is one of the things that disturbs me the most about the series. It did in the first book and does now. Strike is "highly intelligent" (said Rowling in one of her interviews) and is capable to remember numbers prodigiously. (See the end of the book.) It is just impossible that he cannot remember the birthdays of his nephews. I completely get that he didn't care about them, but even unwanted I would have expected him to remember. I just find it odd.

Or is it some conscious effort of him to keep distance from Lucy and her family? Or specifically from children?

(Which may change in the course of the series? As he already started to change?)

No, it's totally normal for him to forget his birthday, no matter how high his intelligence is. For example, in the first short story of Sherlock Holmes "Study in Scarlet", Watson detailed-ly describe Holmes as very intelligent, even lists his area of expertises, his knowledge is highly profound. But, Watson also notes that "His ignorance was as remarkable as his knowledge. Of contemporary literature, philosophy, and politics he appeared to know next to nothing." Holmes doesn't even know that the earth goes around the sun, which frustrates Watson. People like Strike and Holmes only choose what matters in his brain, so they're not overburdened with unimportant things. Though Strike is more humane than Sherlock I think, Strike regards his nephew's birthday including his ex's name like Ciara Porter, as unimportant.

09/30/2018 - 5:50 pm

I agree that up to this chapter, he had no interest in them. His immediate and emotional response to the news that his nephew was in the hospital struck me as an abrupt change, although he had taken some emotional hits in preceding chapters.

I wondered what Jack [the giant-killer] was going to "do to" Cormoran [the giant he kills], if anything.
I guess Jack is the means by which Strike can access emotions he's held in check for so many years?

Can I talk about things that happened in earlier chapters in this chapter? (Newbie!)

09/29/2018 - 10:30 pm

I always seen it as he has no interest in them at all, so he doesn’t bother to remember anything about them

09/24/2018 - 8:37 am