Chapter 1 | Discuss Lethal White! | Discuss

Chapter 1
11/05/2018 - 9:54 am

Amy said
I thought (on the first two reads) that he knew Mathew deleted the voicemail and the call history, but he does not. [...] Strike may have figured it out, but he was very tired and I don’t remember a line where Galbraith insinuates that Strike knows (please let me know if I missed it).

I'm pretty sure he understood what'd happened the moment Robin told him she "did't get any calls or a message" (even though he called a couple of times), and she went pale. It's just kind of obvious. And as he never liked Matthew (let's be honest: de disliked him quite a lot), he had an even easier time to figure it out as Robin who first had to accept the fact that her new husband was lying again.

You are right that it is not explicitly said in this chapter that he understood the story but check out chapter 48. (I don't want to quote the sentence I mean here because I don't know - it may qualify as spoiler...)

Amy
10/31/2018 - 8:27 pm

I have a question. I am on my 3rd read/listen and I am wondering about Strike’s certainty that Robin was going to dissolve the marriage and his shock she went on her honeymoon. I thought (on the first two reads) that he knew Mathew deleted the voicemail and the call history, but he does not. Robin does not figure it out until after he goes with Linda to the table. Strike may have figured it out, but he was very tired and I don’t remember a line where Galbraith insinuates that Strike knows (please let me know if I missed it). Without that knowledge, Strike’s absolutely certainty that robin was agonizing over divorce and his shock that she would go on the honeymoon is only the hug, right? I am not diminishing the hug, but i am wondering if I missed something else.

10/08/2018 - 10:02 am

"He only knew that he wanted to hear her voice. It was at this point, drunkenly searching his kit bag, that he discovered that in his sleep-deprived haste to leave his flat, he had not packed a recharging lead for his mobile, which was out of battery. Undeterred, he had dialed directory enquires and succeeded, after many requests to repeat himself more clearly, in getting connected to Robin's parents' house."

Does the above mean that Strike didn't know the mobile number of Robin by heart?

"But on the seventh night, with Matthew back at the villa, she had decided to call Strike. Almost without acknowledging it to herself, she had formulated a plan. There was a landline at the bar and she knew the office number off by heart. It would be diverted to Strike!s mobile automatically."

Does this mean that Robin didn't know the mobile number of Strike by heart?

Easyly! I'm going to refer to my situation. The most frequently dialled number of mine is my husband's. I don't remember it at all - it's in my phone. Same for him. It's a common thing with mobile users.
Yes, they are awesome at what they do, but Sherlock Holmes was mentioned somewhere here - he knew everything about, say, dactylography, but had no idea that the Earth revolves around the Sun.

10/08/2018 - 8:29 am

Does this mean that Robin didn't know the mobile number of Strike by heart?

09/29/2018 - 10:14 pm

Rhyker said
and after all that! She stayed with matthew 😓 ugh. Why do you do this to us Rowling!

That’s a very similar reaction to the 1 I had. Before I got that far I read the ‘1 year later’ and shouted out loud REALLY!!

09/27/2018 - 8:21 am

I loved how from the very beginning we get the pace for the whole book. It's always back and forth in time both about the investigation and "emotional" part.
If there was no one year later than it would be very a long book with loads of unnessesary details and usual cases. Now we just have to go back from time to time and recall memories together with our favourite chracters. I admire the balance Rowling has in this book between detective storyline and personal shenanigans. Perfect.
Also the first few chapters are so sad. We quickly realise that grown-ups need to communicate. But they don't. I love to hate how distant they've become. Robin's psychological state is written gloriously well. So true to life.

09/26/2018 - 10:07 pm

“Such is the universal desire for fame that those who achieve it accidentally or unwillingly will wait in vain for pity.”
― Robert Galbraith, Line One, Chapter One, Lethal White.

Best line in the book?

09/22/2018 - 7:57 pm

What do you all make of Sam Barclay? A good addition to the agency?

09/20/2018 - 1:18 am