Why did Strike go to Robin's wedding? | Discuss Cormoran Strike! | Discuss

Register Members

Why did Strike go to Robin's wedding?
07/25/2017 - 2:31 pm

He was just wrestling with a serial killer less than 24 hours before the wedding, his life was in danger, got seriously injured, was treated in hospital and questioned by the police almost all night, and had no money at all. Why didn't he just stay at home and called/wrote later?

Just one and a half months before the wedding (on the 14th of May), he was like: "Offhand, he could think of literally nothing he wanted to do less than watch Robin marry Matthew."

07/25/2017 - 3:32 pm

There are a few reasons I can think of...
He didn't reach her by calling her and wanted to tell her as soon as possible before they grew further apart, or she finds another job that he is sorry for firing her or that it all was a plan of his to fend her away from danger!
He wanted to be there for here in what it's considered the happiest moment in a womans life!
He wanted closure to his feelings for her by seeing her marrying Matthew!
Subconsously he wanted to stop her from making a mistake by marrying Matthew!
He concidered that by going to her wedding he could manage for her to forgive him more easly and show her that he cares for her and that he wants her back to work with him!
He thought that calling her again or write to her is to impersonal to make things right between them and if she goes away for her honeymoon it will be to late!
If I could give credit to the optimistic voice in me I would go by: he did wanted to stop her wedding but didn't realize it when he made the decision to go there and I hope he succeeded it!

07/25/2017 - 4:19 pm

Great list, thanks! I will definitely comment each when I'll have more time.

Before I write a more detailed comment, let me just reveal that (surprise, surprise) I would also go for this answer. 🙂

07/26/2017 - 12:29 pm

So let me come back to your great list of reasons. All of them (expect for the second one, I would say) sound more or less plausible for the first sight. And this shows nicely how tricky Rowling can be. And it is also one of the reasons why I consider the ending a cliffhanger.

Despite the above, as I have already mentioned, I have my favorite one. And that one is not only my favorite because I want that to happen (I do want that to happen, though 🙂 ), but also because having read CoE a few times, I find that the closest to the truth.

But maybe I'm wrong. Feel free (anybody) to challenge me.

I don't think it's realistic that she could find a job in two or three weeks considering that he knew that she goes for her honeymoon right after the wedding. Nobody is looking for a job during her honeymoon, but even if she would, it is highly unlikely that a contract would be signed so quickly. There are so many things to negotiate and arrange, even if a job is found.

And, he could have written an email as well.

If her wedding was in London, I might find this reason plausible. But Masham is so far away, and the time and his money were so little, and he was so exhausted, that I can't see why to travel only for this reason.

No, I can't take it seriously. 🙂 Of course it had to be listed for the sake of completeness, but considering his previous reluctance, it is just not plausible.

He wanted closure to his feelings for her by seeing her marrying Matthew!

Hmm. I think that he had feelings for her almost from the very beginning, and this only grew throughout the story. And he always tried to suppress these feelings. And we also know that despite that he was reluctant to go to her wedding ever since the subject came up (I quoted one sentence from him but for me, all his actions - and non-actions - point toward that). Why would he become suddenly so eager to go? And especially under the most difficult circumstances?

Also, I think knowing that she got married, and went to (and returned from) her honeymoon could have worked almost the same way. I don't see how seeing her on the wedding could add as much to his attempted closure of his feelings that he went despite all the serious obstacles. (Not that I consider that seeing her marrying Matthew or knowing that she is married could make him stop loving her at the first place. 🙂 )

Subconsously he wanted to stop her from making a mistake by marrying Matthew!

Yes, for me this is the answer that best fits to the story. My theory is that at a point (when she was attacked) he realized that he cannot keep their relationship collegial and this is why he tried to distance her from him (first not seeing her, saying things like "there is no we at the moment" and finally firing her), but later he realized that he cannot live without her. I find this reason serious enough to take all the hassle and travel to Masham.

Yes. We know that she was desperate to get back to him but I agree that he was not so sure about that. And I also agree that by turning up on the wedding, despite all the difficulties, he wanted to show that he cares. But is it only about that he cares about her getting back to work? For me putting so much effort in turning up on the wedding is much much more personal. Actually, I would say that his firing of her was much more personal.

It is quite impersonal, of course, but did he seriously think that her wedding will be the right moment to discuss in detail what happened, and why? And that they'll have enough time for that? And: did he exactly know his motives why he did that? And: why was it so important for him to be there in time? For a discussion, it doesn't really matter so much.... (During the ceremony, they can't discuss, anyway...)

A personal discussion is very important, I totally agree, but I not necessarily exactly on the day of the wedding. Why would it be too late after the honeymoon? (Or maybe during that?) Provided that he lets her know via email or whatever that he is eager to work with her in the future as well and looking forward to discuss the things personally when she gets back.

07/26/2017 - 1:10 pm

I guess you are right and the most logical explanation is that he without realizing it wanted to do something to prevent Robin for making a mistake because he knows better after what he went through in his previous relationship but I'm sure he is late! If JKR said indeed that we must read the last part to know if she married Matthew (and in another tweet before CoE was published her answer in the same question was "you must read the book to find out), Cormoran came to late and now we have to wait and see how much her wedding will last! God I hate this scenario but I guess it will happen and I have to deal with it! Now the only thing left I wonder about is if the author of another serie I read is going to kill the main characters wife or not! Just great! Cry

07/26/2017 - 1:52 pm

So what would you say if the marriage is legally valid but Robin will decide right after it that she is not going to the honeymoon with Matthew and not going to continue her relationship with him at all, never sleep with him any more, move out from their common flat and legally initiate a divorce? Is this really that much different from a scenario when Robin runs away from the church in her wedding dress and the wedding is not valid? For me the two things are almost the same. Even I would say I would prefer the first one because that is a little bit less pathetic. Do you really see here a big difference? Do you think Robin is less ethical if she starts a relationship with Strike soon after the wedding day under the first scenario than under the second? Or do you think she is less likely to do that?

07/26/2017 - 2:14 pm

I have a let's call it a thing (in movies/books/tv-shows) and with characters I don't like I don't want them to win at all! Your two scenarios are kinda of the same thing but I find it superfluous to marry him in order to leave him after an hour! I still believe JKR will not initiate a romantic relationship between Robin and Cormoran in the fourth book even if Robin files for a divorce the next day after her wedding or leaves the church without being married! It's to soon and Robin doesn't even realize how she feels! Not once in CoE did she wonder why she makes those thoughts about Cormoran and his girlfriend or gives those thoughts wrong motives all the time!

07/27/2017 - 10:29 am

In my opinion, the only reason he goes is that he loves her (even if he tries to hide behind a weak "I only want to get her back as a work partner" excuse).

I think there are a couple clues:

1) this sentence from when Matt deletes Strike's message:

Strike had said on the voicemail message that if he did not hear back from her he would not call again.

Robin never called back. At that point, the logical thing for Strike to think was that Robin just didn't want anything to do with him. Why should Robin want to talk to him at the wedding? And why would Strike contradict his own decision to leave her alone?

Also, if he only wanted to ask her to come back to work, he should know her wedding day would probably be the worst possible moment for a variety of reasons (including Matthew).

2) this little snippet of dialogue while Shanker and Strike are going to Masham:

“Oh, fuck.”
“Whassamatter?”
“I forgot to ditch someone.”

Why would ditching Elin before going to Masham be so important, if Strike was going to the wedding for work- or friendship-related reasons? Especially considering that he had already decided to break up with Elin, and at that point one more day couldn't really make any difference.

Of course, this sounds fishy even to Shanker, and Strike quickly denies he wants to stop the wedding.
Maybe he isn't even consciously lying. Maybe he doesn't really know what he will do.
But I definitely think he isn't going there either as Robin's boss or her friend.

07/27/2017 - 10:52 am

honoraryskywalker said

I think there are a couple clues:

1) this sentence from when Matt deletes Strike's message:

That part bothered me very much! He doesn't know that it's Matthew's fault that Robin didn't called back so why doesn't he respect her decision? Or is it because of that, that he goes to Masham? Because he realizes that a phonecall isn't enough for Robin to come back to work after the way he fired her? Did he say something more in that voicemail or was it just that? Did he make the decision to make her a full partner and wanted to share the news during "the most happy day of her life" as kinda wedding gift? I agree that going to the wedding only for business matters is a weak excuse so he goes there for other reasons also but I don't know if he realizes it! But there are not much things he could say or do to stop her from marrying! They never confesed how they feel for each other, Robin doesn't even realizes what is that she is feeling so a decleration of his feelings is out of place! Throwing the flowers over could be such a strong reason to stop the ceremony? Will something happen to him after the incident with the flowers to make Robin leave her place in order to help him like for example taking him to the hospital?

07/27/2017 - 4:30 pm

It's hard for me to imagine what his exact intentions were. Judging from what we know of his personality, I don't think he wanted to throw the church door open and run down the aisle screaming his love for Robin.
Also, he's always been (or at least tried to be) respectful of Robin. It would be kinda rude and arrogant to think that it's a good idea to hijack her wedding with a job offer, especially after she seems to have intentionally cut off all contact.
I don't know. Maybe he just knew he wanted to be there, and he didn't really think about the next step.

07/27/2017 - 6:25 pm

honoraryskywalker said

Matthew's work as an accountan isn't that innocent as it seems so someone kills him while at the altar because he knows to much and the case Cormoran and Robin are going to investigate is his murder, revealing the other life he hid and that's why the new story beginns where CoE ended and is good that Cormoran is there to take over the case! Yeah I guess I would do anything to get rid of Matthew!

07/30/2017 - 2:54 pm

I'd actually read that book.

08/01/2017 - 8:06 pm

honoraryskywalker said
I'd actually read that book.

I'm sorry but I don't think I got that one right! Is there a book that this actually happens?

08/03/2017 - 7:21 am

No, I was just joking that I totally WOULD read a book where Matt is killed at the wedding :D.

08/03/2017 - 10:58 am

honoraryskywalker said

Oh, thank you!!! It would be my pleasure to kill him off and make us all happy!!!

08/30/2017 - 5:07 pm

From the book, I think Cormoran was just trying to show Robin that he wants to apologize and wants her back to work. The fact that Robin looked right at him and smiled and said "I do" meant, yes I know why you are here. I am afraid Rowling is not going to let them show their real feelings in next book. That means we have to wait another year for the next book to find out. A couple that fights as much as R. and M. before the wedding, is not going get any better after marriage!

09/16/2017 - 4:03 pm

Given that JK has said that she hopes for there to be many more books to come, that one fact alone would indicate to me that Matthew as a character cannot be sustained. There would be no further use for him after book three. Obviously we have many more adventures to come featuring Robin and Cormoran, adventures and cases that could not take place if she were married to Matthew who hates what she does. Therefore he has now come to the point where as a character his time is up. It also would be bad to suddenly develop a romantic relationship between Cormoran and Robin, it's the undercurrent of it, the suggestion of it that is the draw. That has to be sustained for a long time to come for the magic to work. She may have said I DO.... but I think we will see Robin either leave him right after the wedding when she finds out about the phone calls, or even regardless of the phone calls suddenly find herself saying to Matthew.... I can't do this..... and walk off. It would be very dramatic let's face it. Cormoran of course had to go to the church. Everything inside him on a subconscious level would want to stop it. Even Shanker was no fool.... he called her "your Robin" and said she reminded him of Leda. Matthew represented Robin's life before walking in that door to start her temp job. Everything changed the moment she did that.... she suddenly found something she was passionate about and life was never going to be the same again. To that end... I did love that scene where the moment the wrong woman stormed out of Cormoran's office... the right woman walked in ten seconds later. How's that for fate.

09/21/2017 - 8:43 pm

Conchie said

I totally agree with you and I hope you are right! I don't believe that Matthew has something to give plotwise anymore! It would be a surprise factor for us and for her (Robin) if she would learn about him cheating after they got married! For three books we read about how bad he is treating her, how little he respects and values her and in the third book how little he cares about her, because lets face it, one man that loves a woman wouldn't show her the newspaper with the add about a job she loved so much, she was already fired so to add more pain to it is just cruel! To take away from her the chance to get the job she loved back speaks also about how little he respect what she loves and what she wants (deleting Cormoran's calls + voicemail)! The only reason I would think of why J.K Rowling would let her marry Matthew is if she wants to explore violence in a marriage, maybe Matthew besides emotional abusive while being married to Robin gets to a point to abuse her also physical! I can't see Robin go back to work with Cormoran if she is married to Matthew and even more after her reaction while she said "I do" I can't see Matthew being supportive to her desicion if she tells him she got her job back! I see Matthew more putting her in front of an ultimatum "me, our marriage or him (Cormoran) and the job!"
And serioulsy what more can Matthew do? Disrespect her more, vulue her less, cheat on her again?

Cormoran and Robin don't need Matthew to keep up the emotional/sexual tension that exists between them! Cormoran is afraid that starting a relationship with Robin would complicate them working together, besides he doesn't think of himself as the right man for her to date!
As for Robin she isn't even aware of the feelings she has developed for Cormoran so...
It would be interesting to see how Cormoran will try to keep his feelings in track around a single Robin and how Robin will slowly discover that she fell in love with him and that he is in love with her! There are so many options for J.K Rowling to torture us with these two...
Robin discovering her feelings for Cormoran acts on them but Cormoran isn't ready to leave his safe place so he decides it's best for the job to be only friends... Robin wants to test how far he can resist his feelings so she goes out on a date with a man that is flirting with her oooor... Cormoran in a moment of weakness kisses her she kisses him back but as she realizes how she feels for him she isn't ready to start dating so soon so they keep being friends with a growing up tension between them because they want each other! This whole thing can go on for 2-3 books and without Matthew!

09/29/2017 - 5:19 pm

Why does he go? Why do you think?

All through the three novels, he's been grappling with feelings for Robin that he can't quite explain. She walked into his life at LITERALLY the moment Charlotte left it. And it's clear to him from early on that she is very different from the women he has spent his life with (though Shanker makes the kindness connection between Leda and Robin).

He realises she's intelligent, tactful, discreet and more than capable professionally. At turns she impresses and surprises him. I think that's unusual for our friend Strike. But even as far back as Chapter 5 of Cuckoo's Calling (go back and read the start of that chapter again) we know he's VERY attracted to her. He doesn't want to be, but he is. He tells himself, "she not beautiful, not like Charlotte", but that she's "very attractive". In that same little rumination, he also drops in the thought that his libido is unimpaired, so clearly all of that is on his mind, even then. Which explains the dress, of course...

She's the only person it seems who he doesn't mind being driven by: a big trust issue for him. And he even begins to share things with her that he struggles to tell others (like when he gets drunk at the Tottenham. I think Robin's equivalent in Career of Evil is deliberately set up to mirror that. I think we're very much being invited to stack up a bunch of equivalences between Cormoran and Robin, to think how similar they are in many ways, to think how well they fit together).

But he is determined to keep a professional distance. He spends quite a lot of time trying to do that. And he's failing, isn't he? Look how well that goes on the visit to Barrow, when they're staying in the Travelodge. Then he finds out just how mentally strong she REALLY is, and that utterly floors him. So how can he not find her special, especially if you add all of that to what they've already been through together?

Then there's Matthew. The "safe boy from home" . But he's the boy who also wipes her phone (like she's not going to work that one out - complete call history going AWOL?). There are already fault lines there. Maybe she has her 'kairos' moment approaching, maybe not, but its difficult to say if Robin and Matthew are even married yet. The licence isn't signed, but the last paragraph of the novel even contains the words "new husband" to ram the point home. I suspect that this is going to be a stormy marriage (and wouldn't be interesting to think of that like a mirror image of Cormoran and Charlotte?)

And that's before we even think about Robin. Robin who describes Strike to Matthew early on a "extremely" unattractive, but the same Robin who notices that he's perfectly attractive to women like Elin, and Nina Lascelles, and Ciara Porter (not to mention Charlotte). She realises something is going on in her reaction to him, but doesn't know quite what. She starts to notice the things she likes about this man, and they're not obvious things (not like her conventionally attractive, but fairly dull fiance). She's in a pretty pensive state in that Barrow hotel too. Matthew is her only template for love. He's the only serious boyfriend she's ever had, and her only serious sexual relationship (and that's a very big deal considering what happened to her). Now, suddenly, she's confronted with a very different kind of man, he's someone utterly different to anything she's used to. Think about how she wonders at one point whether she and Matthew would have just grown apart in normal circumstances. Are they still together indirectly because of what happened to her?

I also think that Sarah Shadlock's boyfriend, Tom, is not described a lot because he may not be around long. I suspect that Matthew-Sara thing will flare up again. After all, she's in Masham for the wedding as well, isn't she...?

But relationships, attractions, and friendships are strange things. Things that seem strange to outsiders can work perfectly well between two people. And who's to say how JK wants the whole Cormoran/Robin thing to work...

Sorry, ramble over 🙂

09/30/2017 - 5:34 pm

illuminatus said

Robin who describes Strike to Matthew early on a "extremely" unattractive

I remember that description, and I think it is very telling. Especially if you compare it with what she told about him to her mother in CoE when her mother was trying to find out whether (or how much) she was attracted to him.

Her very early description of Strike to Matthew:

"Matt, honestly, if you saw him... he's enormous and he's got a face like some beaten-up boxer. He is not remotely attractive, I'm sure he's over forty, and..." she had cast around for more aspersions to cast upon Strike's appearance, "he's got that sort of pupen hair."

And this is how she tried to convince her mother that she was not attracted to him:

I don't fancy Strike.

That's all what se was able to say. And this was before they went for their trip up north, where things got more serious, for sure.