Why did Strike go to Robin's wedding? | Discuss Cormoran Strike! | Discuss

Why did Strike go to Robin's wedding?
01/14/2018 - 6:06 pm

Why did he go? I think the better question is, how could he stay away?

In her stubborn refusal to follow his instructions -- which led to her being attacked and his firing her -- how could he not recognize himself, his own stubborn and altruistic nature? Regardless of whether any romance could ever be feasible between them, it seems to me that Cormoran must have been surprised at finding a woman who truly is his counterpoint.

He goes because he needs her to see him there. He needs Robin to see (by his battered demeanor) that he has wrapped up the case to which they both gave so much blood, sweat and tears. He needs to see for himself whether there will be forgiveness in her eyes, since he received no response to his text, or whether she will turn from him in anger.

And her radiant smile says it all. (I re-read that last paragraph at least a dozen times, filled with joy each time at the economically perfect wording of it all!) God help Matthew. I can't wait to read Lethal White to discover Robin's reaction to Matthew's new deception.

01/06/2018 - 5:57 pm

Rob said
I'm assuming that Strike goes to the wedding in the third story? I have only seen the tv show (love it and the two 'stars') so therefore am only up to date after Silkworm!

You should definitely read the books! They're really good. But yes, since you've already been spoiled, he does go to the wedding in Career of Evil... I wouldn't want to ruin it for you by telling you more, it's an amazing moment in the book.

~~~ Follow me on Tumblr | Find my Strike Series Fanfic on A03 ~~~

Rob
01/06/2018 - 3:39 pm

11/22/2017 - 6:39 pm

great observations, irnbrugirl!

irnbrugirl66
11/22/2017 - 10:29 am

Just noticed that at the end of 'The Silkworm' Rowling uses a quote from the play 'Endymion'. This is the Chapter when he visits Robin at her flat to give her the Christmas present of the surveillance course. In the play, Endymion is in love with Cynthia, a queen, and is known in Greek mythology as Selene, Goddess of the Moon. However, Cynthia is unattainable to Endymion and which he regrets, in much the same way, Strike feels safer making Robin seem unattainable due to her relationship with Matthew.

In 'Career of Evil' Chapter 40's quote is from the Blue Oyster Cult's song "Searchin' for Celine' and this is the point at which Strike struggles with his disappointment that Robin has reconciled with Matthew.

So there does seem to be a parallel between Cormoran and Robin and these two mythological lovers.

The character of Tellus (Charlotte?), a goddess of earth, loves Endymion and is jealous of his feelings for Cynthia, in an act of vengeance she bewitches him so he will love Tellus and so weakening his love for Cynthia. Strike does say Charlotte has an appetite for revenge.

Also, Endymion says that the moon represents change and Robin is certainly on a path of transformation.

In mythology Selene and Endymion fall in love. Whereas in the play Endymion tells Cynthia that he feels the most affection for her but not romantically. If this continues to be a source of Strike and Robin's relationship, all signs point towards the ending of the myth.

10/26/2017 - 10:11 pm

illuminatus said
Actually, around the time of the trip north, (and her split from Matthew) things shift for Robin, I think, but maybe that's because she's in a susceptible state.

First, her reaction when Strike tells her he's off to meet Elin after not showing up for his date the night before; second, the image she gas in her mind of Elin, the bedsheets, and Elin and Strike in them; third, exactly what Robin is thinking in the hotel room, then the way she tells herself, "don't be ridiculous". By this point she knows she's attracted to him too.

And Strike himself knows things ate complicated. Just listen to his internal monologue on p205

I love the last paragraph of the CoE. The signs are there: seeing Strike is the only time she has smiled on her own wedding day, and Matthew's face is stony.

I think these novels have two ongoing themes:

1. the rehabilitation of Strike, a man damaged by the circumstances of his birth, his childhood, his relationships and his mother's death. He is so used to women behaving in particular ways, and Robin is strange to him. But she may be the means of some kind of rescue, a way of coming to terms with all sorts of things, but I think most obviously Charlotte, even though he is resisting it.

2. The reawakening of Robin Ellacott. After her rape, she has buried her own ambitions. She gave up on the path she wanted to take. She followed her boyfriend to London, and was prepared to subsume herself. Now, suddenly, there is another chance: a chance to do the thing she wanted, a chance to be the person she wanted to be before her life changed.

I think both of these things are heavily entwined. I think they need each to get to where they want to be. Just how they need each other is rather less clear, but I think the sexual tension between them is going to get ramped up significantly in book 4.

You know I love your posts you always seem to say what I think!!!
I think Robin definitely knows she's attracted to him but is trying to tell herself she doesn't. Doesn't she even think about filing something Cormoran said, to think about later?!

10/01/2017 - 12:31 am

I think these novels have two ongoing themes:

09/30/2017 - 5:34 pm

illuminatus said

Robin who describes Strike to Matthew early on a "extremely" unattractive

I remember that description, and I think it is very telling. Especially if you compare it with what she told about him to her mother in CoE when her mother was trying to find out whether (or how much) she was attracted to him.

Her very early description of Strike to Matthew:

"Matt, honestly, if you saw him... he's enormous and he's got a face like some beaten-up boxer. He is not remotely attractive, I'm sure he's over forty, and..." she had cast around for more aspersions to cast upon Strike's appearance, "he's got that sort of pupen hair."

And this is how she tried to convince her mother that she was not attracted to him:

I don't fancy Strike.

That's all what se was able to say. And this was before they went for their trip up north, where things got more serious, for sure.

09/29/2017 - 5:19 pm

Why does he go? Why do you think?

All through the three novels, he's been grappling with feelings for Robin that he can't quite explain. She walked into his life at LITERALLY the moment Charlotte left it. And it's clear to him from early on that she is very different from the women he has spent his life with (though Shanker makes the kindness connection between Leda and Robin).

He realises she's intelligent, tactful, discreet and more than capable professionally. At turns she impresses and surprises him. I think that's unusual for our friend Strike. But even as far back as Chapter 5 of Cuckoo's Calling (go back and read the start of that chapter again) we know he's VERY attracted to her. He doesn't want to be, but he is. He tells himself, "she not beautiful, not like Charlotte", but that she's "very attractive". In that same little rumination, he also drops in the thought that his libido is unimpaired, so clearly all of that is on his mind, even then. Which explains the dress, of course...

She's the only person it seems who he doesn't mind being driven by: a big trust issue for him. And he even begins to share things with her that he struggles to tell others (like when he gets drunk at the Tottenham. I think Robin's equivalent in Career of Evil is deliberately set up to mirror that. I think we're very much being invited to stack up a bunch of equivalences between Cormoran and Robin, to think how similar they are in many ways, to think how well they fit together).

But he is determined to keep a professional distance. He spends quite a lot of time trying to do that. And he's failing, isn't he? Look how well that goes on the visit to Barrow, when they're staying in the Travelodge. Then he finds out just how mentally strong she REALLY is, and that utterly floors him. So how can he not find her special, especially if you add all of that to what they've already been through together?

Then there's Matthew. The "safe boy from home" . But he's the boy who also wipes her phone (like she's not going to work that one out - complete call history going AWOL?). There are already fault lines there. Maybe she has her 'kairos' moment approaching, maybe not, but its difficult to say if Robin and Matthew are even married yet. The licence isn't signed, but the last paragraph of the novel even contains the words "new husband" to ram the point home. I suspect that this is going to be a stormy marriage (and wouldn't be interesting to think of that like a mirror image of Cormoran and Charlotte?)

And that's before we even think about Robin. Robin who describes Strike to Matthew early on a "extremely" unattractive, but the same Robin who notices that he's perfectly attractive to women like Elin, and Nina Lascelles, and Ciara Porter (not to mention Charlotte). She realises something is going on in her reaction to him, but doesn't know quite what. She starts to notice the things she likes about this man, and they're not obvious things (not like her conventionally attractive, but fairly dull fiance). She's in a pretty pensive state in that Barrow hotel too. Matthew is her only template for love. He's the only serious boyfriend she's ever had, and her only serious sexual relationship (and that's a very big deal considering what happened to her). Now, suddenly, she's confronted with a very different kind of man, he's someone utterly different to anything she's used to. Think about how she wonders at one point whether she and Matthew would have just grown apart in normal circumstances. Are they still together indirectly because of what happened to her?

I also think that Sarah Shadlock's boyfriend, Tom, is not described a lot because he may not be around long. I suspect that Matthew-Sara thing will flare up again. After all, she's in Masham for the wedding as well, isn't she...?

But relationships, attractions, and friendships are strange things. Things that seem strange to outsiders can work perfectly well between two people. And who's to say how JK wants the whole Cormoran/Robin thing to work...

Sorry, ramble over 🙂

09/21/2017 - 8:43 pm

Conchie said
Given that JK has said that she hopes for there to be many more books to come, that one fact alone would indicate to me that Matthew as a character cannot be sustained. There would be no further use for him after book three. Obviously we have many more adventures to come featuring Robin and Cormoran, adventures and cases that could not take place if she were married to Matthew who hates what she does. Therefore he has now come to the point where as a character his time is up. It also would be bad to suddenly develop a romantic relationship between Cormoran and Robin, it's the undercurrent of it, the suggestion of it that is the draw. That has to be sustained for a long time to come for the magic to work. She may have said I DO.... but I think we will see Robin either leave him right after the wedding when she finds out about the phone calls, or even regardless of the phone calls suddenly find herself saying to Matthew.... I can't do this..... and walk off. It would be very dramatic let's face it. Cormoran of course had to go to the church. Everything inside him on a subconscious level would want to stop it. Even Shanker was no fool.... he called her "your Robin" and said she reminded him of Leda. Matthew represented Robin's life before walking in that door to start her temp job. Everything changed the moment she did that.... she suddenly found something she was passionate about and life was never going to be the same again. To that end... I did love that scene where the moment the wrong woman stormed out of Cormoran's office... the right woman walked in ten seconds later. How's that for fate.

I totally agree with you and I hope you are right! I don't believe that Matthew has something to give plotwise anymore! It would be a surprise factor for us and for her (Robin) if she would learn about him cheating after they got married! For three books we read about how bad he is treating her, how little he respects and values her and in the third book how little he cares about her, because lets face it, one man that loves a woman wouldn't show her the newspaper with the add about a job she loved so much, she was already fired so to add more pain to it is just cruel! To take away from her the chance to get the job she loved back speaks also about how little he respect what she loves and what she wants (deleting Cormoran's calls + voicemail)! The only reason I would think of why J.K Rowling would let her marry Matthew is if she wants to explore violence in a marriage, maybe Matthew besides emotional abusive while being married to Robin gets to a point to abuse her also physical! I can't see Robin go back to work with Cormoran if she is married to Matthew and even more after her reaction while she said "I do" I can't see Matthew being supportive to her desicion if she tells him she got her job back! I see Matthew more putting her in front of an ultimatum "me, our marriage or him (Cormoran) and the job!"
And serioulsy what more can Matthew do? Disrespect her more, vulue her less, cheat on her again?

Cormoran and Robin don't need Matthew to keep up the emotional/sexual tension that exists between them! Cormoran is afraid that starting a relationship with Robin would complicate them working together, besides he doesn't think of himself as the right man for her to date!
As for Robin she isn't even aware of the feelings she has developed for Cormoran so...
It would be interesting to see how Cormoran will try to keep his feelings in track around a single Robin and how Robin will slowly discover that she fell in love with him and that he is in love with her! There are so many options for J.K Rowling to torture us with these two...
Robin discovering her feelings for Cormoran acts on them but Cormoran isn't ready to leave his safe place so he decides it's best for the job to be only friends... Robin wants to test how far he can resist his feelings so she goes out on a date with a man that is flirting with her oooor... Cormoran in a moment of weakness kisses her she kisses him back but as she realizes how she feels for him she isn't ready to start dating so soon so they keep being friends with a growing up tension between them because they want each other! This whole thing can go on for 2-3 books and without Matthew!

09/16/2017 - 4:03 pm

08/30/2017 - 5:07 pm

From the book, I think Cormoran was just trying to show Robin that he wants to apologize and wants her back to work. The fact that Robin looked right at him and smiled and said "I do" meant, yes I know why you are here. I am afraid Rowling is not going to let them show their real feelings in next book. That means we have to wait another year for the next book to find out. A couple that fights as much as R. and M. before the wedding, is not going get any better after marriage!

08/03/2017 - 10:58 am

honoraryskywalker said
No, I was just joking that I totally WOULD read a book where Matt is killed at the wedding :D.

Oh, thank you!!! It would be my pleasure to kill him off and make us all happy!!!

08/03/2017 - 7:21 am

08/01/2017 - 8:06 pm

honoraryskywalker said
I'd actually read that book.

I'm sorry but I don't think I got that one right! Is there a book that this actually happens?

07/30/2017 - 2:54 pm

I'd actually read that book.

07/27/2017 - 6:25 pm

honoraryskywalker said
It's hard for me to imagine what his exact intentions were. Judging from what we know of his personality, I don't think he wanted to throw the church door open and run down the aisle screaming his love for Robin.
Also, he's always been (or at least tried to be) respectful of Robin. It would be kinda rude and arrogant to think that it's a good idea to hijack her wedding with a job offer, especially after she seems to have intentionally cut off all contact.
I don't know. Maybe he just knew he wanted to be there, and he didn't really think about the next step.

Matthew's work as an accountan isn't that innocent as it seems so someone kills him while at the altar because he knows to much and the case Cormoran and Robin are going to investigate is his murder, revealing the other life he hid and that's why the new story beginns where CoE ended and is good that Cormoran is there to take over the case! Yeah I guess I would do anything to get rid of Matthew!

07/27/2017 - 4:30 pm

07/27/2017 - 10:52 am

honoraryskywalker said
In my opinion, the only reason he goes is that he loves her (even if he tries to hide behind a weak "I only want to get her back as a work partner" excuse).

I think there are a couple clues:

1) this sentence from when Matt deletes Strike's message:

Strike had said on the voicemail message that if he did not hear back from her he would not call again.

Robin never called back. At that point, the logical thing for Strike to think was that Robin just didn't want anything to do with him. Why should Robin want to talk to him at the wedding? And why would Strike contradict his own decision to leave her alone?

That part bothered me very much! He doesn't know that it's Matthew's fault that Robin didn't called back so why doesn't he respect her decision? Or is it because of that, that he goes to Masham? Because he realizes that a phonecall isn't enough for Robin to come back to work after the way he fired her? Did he say something more in that voicemail or was it just that? Did he make the decision to make her a full partner and wanted to share the news during "the most happy day of her life" as kinda wedding gift? I agree that going to the wedding only for business matters is a weak excuse so he goes there for other reasons also but I don't know if he realizes it! But there are not much things he could say or do to stop her from marrying! They never confesed how they feel for each other, Robin doesn't even realizes what is that she is feeling so a decleration of his feelings is out of place! Throwing the flowers over could be such a strong reason to stop the ceremony? Will something happen to him after the incident with the flowers to make Robin leave her place in order to help him like for example taking him to the hospital?

07/27/2017 - 10:29 am

I think there are a couple clues:

1) this sentence from when Matt deletes Strike's message:

Also, if he only wanted to ask her to come back to work, he should know her wedding day would probably be the worst possible moment for a variety of reasons (including Matthew).

2) this little snippet of dialogue while Shanker and Strike are going to Masham:

“Oh, fuck.”
“Whassamatter?”
“I forgot to ditch someone.”

Why would ditching Elin before going to Masham be so important, if Strike was going to the wedding for work- or friendship-related reasons? Especially considering that he had already decided to break up with Elin, and at that point one more day couldn't really make any difference.

Of course, this sounds fishy even to Shanker, and Strike quickly denies he wants to stop the wedding.
Maybe he isn't even consciously lying. Maybe he doesn't really know what he will do.
But I definitely think he isn't going there either as Robin's boss or her friend.