Why did Robin say 'I Do' to Strike | Discuss Cormoran Strike! | Discuss

Why did Robin say 'I Do' to Strike
07/02/2018 - 1:33 pm

Today's Robin and Matthew's wedding anniversary. I'm pretty sure the marriage won't last until 2018 though ;-). How long do you think it will take for it to fall apart? Since Lethal White starts right after the wedding, I feel it might be too soon for it to happen at the ending of book 4. I give them a year, at the most.

Joanne
03/31/2018 - 2:32 am

I've not heard any rumors about Robin being pregnant. I would put the odds down for that one happening in Lethal White at Absolute Zero: 0%.

I haven't seen the whole episodes yet since I live in the US--but I did watch the posted YouTube parts & the one posted above (thank you) and I have to say that to me there was very little difference between the book and the show.

Cormoran came into the church the same as in the book (even hesitating for that moment of doubt at the door) and was in the back of the church and accidentally knocked the flowers over. Neither Robin or Matthew were standing real close at the alter and I didn't notice either looking happy until Robin turned and smiled when she realized it was Cormoran who was standing in the back of the church (just like in the book).

It was only a couple of beats that Cormoran and Robin looked at each other during which she answered the Minister's question with her "I do". She answered while still in the moment of happy surprise of knowing Cormoran had come after all. She then looked back towards the minister and Matthew.

In an earlier scene (as in the book) it is clear that Cormoran had been looking for a way to get Robin out of harm's way. This is why they showed Cormoran trying to call Robin right after he had caught the serial killer--it was clear in the book and the show that one of the reasons he could fire her was that he was desperate to have her out of the killer's sites. He does mention that if it were up to him she would be off in Yorkshire until the killer was caught.

I think he only made up his mind to actually go to the wedding, even though he thought she blocked his calls and probably didn't want to see him again, because he faced the fact that he needed her for his business as well as for his own personal happiness. He was willing to risk rejection but he had to know for sure if there was still a chance to get her back (as he told Shanker in the show and in the book--"we're going to try and get her back aren't we."

The one thing that looked different to me from the book was that they actually showed Robin and Matthew walking out of the church as man and wife, with Robin giving Cormoran a heart felt smile as she passed.

I'm not sure of the customs in English weddings--whether the bride and groom stand at the church's entrance and greet the guests as they come out of the church or if they all just get in their cars and go to the reception after the church service is over.

I do know that Matthew won't want Cormoran at their wedding reception but Robin will--and that it would be the best place for her to hear the details about the capture of the killer (she would definitely want to hear that) and for her to hear Cormoran out about her coming back to work for him.

The big unknown at the begining of Lethal White for me is how this will play out with Matthew, since he will be dead set against it--but I have no doubt that Robin will be back working with Cormoran at some point in Lethal White. I would put those odds at 100%.

03/09/2018 - 5:21 am

It's so weird, having not seen it but hearing about the ending to the TV show. Hard to imagine, but it sounds as though it is clearly a different tone than the book's ending. Hmmm. I know that there is always a difference between a book and a film -- the necessity to convey everything visually rather than in words -- but it still makes me curious as to what is going to happen next (and I mean immediately next) that JKR was okay with the way the actors played it? Maybe Holliday Grainger didn't intend to look as "smiley" as she did and it just came across that way?

I can't wait to see this.....!

I don't know if you are going to enjoy watching it but I hope I could help!

03/09/2018 - 3:37 am

I thought about those things while reading the book but damn that doesn't add up with how the wedding scene ended!

I can't wait to see this.....!

03/09/2018 - 3:08 am

Yes, exactly! That's what I meant when I said that Robin is thrilled that she is an "exception". She is happy of course about work, but more about the personal relationship aspect. She observed what seemed to her to be the ruthless way he cut Charlotte out of his life -- she only knows the part she saw -- how he refused to return Charlotte's message, ignored the wedding photo Charlotte sent him, etc. But now she knows that she means enough to Cormoran that he was not able to do the same thing to her. She does not see this as only a work relationship, any more than he does. They just haven't admitted all that to each other...yet.

03/09/2018 - 3:04 am

Do you mean this sentence from the book? (This is Robin's first thought when he fired her.) "His girlfriend of sixteen years had never heard from him again after he had ended it, although Charlotte had tried to initiate contact since."

Charlotte didn't go to find him but did try to make him go to her:
1. Tell him Charlotte Campbell called soon to be mrs. Jago Ross - (If he doesn't do something he will lose me) - The Cuckoo's calling
2. sms "It was yours" ( I didn't lie to you, I lost our baby, please come back to me, don't let me go through this wedding) - The Silkworm
3. e-mail the photo of the wedding (you didn't do something so I did got married but look at me how unhappy and haunted I look you could still come and save me from my misery [not sure about that but she could meant that]) - The Silkworm

03/09/2018 - 3:00 am

I firmly think they are way too emotional about each other than simple colleagues. And his appearance at her wedding just cannot be a simple "I want you back to work" message. And I think Robin should get this.

03/09/2018 - 12:52 am

Don't forget in 'The Silkworm' when Robin sees the photograph of Charlotte at her wedding. I think Robin knows that this and when she has to pass on the message that Charlotte is going to marry Jago Ross are Charlotte's attempts to provoke Strike to come back to her.

Another reason that I believe Rowling could turn her a happy bride by Matthew's side now that everything is alright with the job!

Also why direct a wedding scene so differently from the book if nothing changes in the beginning of Lethal White since the scriptwriter has read the opening pages?

I just think it's hard for Robin to separate her feelings for her job and Strike. When Matthew shows her the article in 'The Sun', Robin says is she rows with Matthew over his reaction it would be a triumph for Strike, and there's the slip that Matthew is the man she has to marry and she doesn't want Strike to sully their relationship. Which implies he has the power to do so in her mind. I always thought she was happy to have her job back when she sees Strike too and hoped that some of her feelings about why she felt she had to marry Matthew, who will never support her chosen profession, would dissipate. This may not be immediately but certainly when she finds out he blocked Strike's number - and this is what will sully the relationship if she admits to herself that the action itself cannot be ignored.

I think we hoped this could be their kairos moment but reflecting on Strike's last kairos moment it didn't mean anything but a romantic notion, he and Charlotte still had the same problems in their relationship and broke up again. Maybe JKR is trying to show this type of romantic notions as unrealistic - which Strike doesn't always face, especially about Charlotte in the same way Robin is about Matthew and they are about each other.

03/08/2018 - 3:45 pm

But what kind of contact did Charlotte try to initialize? I never really got it. Does Rowling mean something we know about? (I.e. something that is in one of the books?) That’s not much... All I can think of is a text message saying "Please could you give me a quick call when convenient?". True, he didn't call her back. On the other hand, and Robin should know about it very well, he started to run after Charlotte on the morning when Robin started working with him. Who knows how that would have worked out if Robin didn't appear. (Strike was even thinking to himself that maybe he should be thankful to Robin for stopping him chasing Charlotte!) So it's not that straight forward, I would say.

Even Robin herself, while in the first moment she feared that Strike will never contact her again, in fact later she "hoped and even believed that Strike would call her, that he would realize what a mistake he had made."

And one last thing to this comparison between not calling Charlotte and not calling Robin. Strike was still under the emotional influence of Charlotte at that time so this is why he didn't call her. If he sees Robin (as she probably presumes) as a colleague only, it would be a clearly despicable behavior from him to fire her like this, and not calling her later, at least to discuss it in a more normal tone. And I wouldn't except a boss who fired his employee so dramatically to schedule his apology to the wedding of the employee. The normal course of action would be to call her (or call her from another number, if there is a suspicion that the number is blocked), or send an email and ask for an appointment to discuss. And I wouldn't expect this employee to be beaming at the boss and not returning to her husband when saying "I do".

03/08/2018 - 11:35 am

irnbrugirl66 said
Concerning JKR turning around 'Lethal' that would not be honest to what she has written so far. Even in the programme, they made it clearer that Robin has feelings for Strike and isn't blissful about getting back with Matthew - the ambiguous crying and looking depressed lying in their bed, looking away from his side of the bed.

The tv version of the wedding is making me think otherwise... Maybe all her sadness was about losing her job and not because she was marrying Matthew!

irnbrugirl66 said
I always felt Robin's 'I do' was instinctual - she can't help herself, either because yes she has feelings for Strike she can't admit to herself in her situation or to let him know straight away she is happy that he appears to have changed his mind about their working relationship.

03/07/2018 - 11:37 pm

03/07/2018 - 8:45 pm

Impulse said
I feel like there has been a lot of discussion about the wedding, but I havent seen anyone speculate on the most obvious and interesting question.

Firstly why is she in so much joy at seeing Strike despite the fact he sacked her and didn't even try to contact her (as far as she's aware)?

Because Cormoran isn't known at giving second chances while he puts an end so she sees him there and understands that she is given a second chance to go back to a work she loves!

Impulse said
Why wasn't she smiling at her own wedding, something must of really upset her for her to not even give out a fake smile (I do hope the theory of her being pregnant isn't true)?

I think Rowling will turn this upside down somehow! Also in the series Robin was happy to be getting married and only in the book she was mentioned as sad so I don't which version is the correct one because Rowling did read the script! I expect everything from her (Rowling) even Robin being pregnant but if she is why isn't she happy about it? She is marrying the man she in love with and having a child with him should make her feel radiant!
I believe that Rowling will turn this in Lethal White with something like: Robin knowing that she was forgiven and given a second chance (by Cormoran) finally could enjoy her ceremony and left the church happy at Matthew's side because otherwise it doesn't make sense how it was directed in the episode!

Impulse said
Thirdly why did she direct her 'I Do' to Strike, I get the whole her saying yes to her job back, but it just doesn't fit well enough, and in front of the whole church also, doesn't she realise she's doing it or What?

I have lost all hope that Rowling will make this personal so I do believe that she will make this also work related! Her "I do" was about going back to work if it was for any other reason she wouldn't turn to Matthew and continue the ceremony! I mean you don't realize you want to adress an "I do " to another man because you would prefer to be married to him and then turn around and tie the know with somebody else!

Only in the book I felt like Robin wasn't in love with Matthew and felt like an obligation her marriage to him but the second episode of CoE gave totally different feelings and that's why I believe Rowling will turn everything around in Lethal White!

Also when I first saw it I hoped for a second that Cormoran was having a nightmare (not getting there on time + turn over the flowers and be embarrassed and Robin leaving the church with Matthew) waking up in the car he would go to the church his dream in a way would come true and he would turn over the flowers but his presence would make a difference and Robin wouldn't get married! (not for them to get together but because she has her work back and she doesn't want a life as Matthew's wife)

A big bravo to Rowling for playing us! "There was still time" Cormoran wanting to arrive at the service why in such hurry? In the reception he could manage to find her and ask her to go back to work! Also why breaking up with Elin before going to Robin's wedding...
Robin being sad, smiling only when she sees him, adressing her "I do" to him!
Even fan fic writers continued the story in a much more impressive way that Rowling's way seems so dull!

03/07/2018 - 4:47 pm

Impulse said

I think it goes back to a thought Robin had earlier (prior to the wedding). She remembered how Cormoran NEVER responded to anything Charlotte did once he cut her out of his life. She realized that he was the sort of person who is able to cut even long-standing ties with frightening finality and once he says it's over, it's over -- and she believed that their work together was another thing he had surgically excised from his life. So for him to show up at her wedding is meaningful in the extreme! For her, Robin, he is clearly making an exception. She is exceptional to him.

Knowing this, how could she not break into a radiant smile?

03/07/2018 - 2:08 pm

Hmm @benedek I'm not sure about love unless Robin had an awakening or something before the service. I do reckon Robin likes Strike at this point more than most people reckon, especially I found with reading between the lines of Coe.
Maybe she had her own I fancy him moment before the wedding, but if so she's not trying to hide her feelings, or maybe she is someone who finds it hard to do that sort of thing like the fact she finds it hard to lie ( although I think she ends up finding it easier by the end of Coe especially to mathew).

03/07/2018 - 11:44 am

Impulse said

Because she clearly loves him. If she saw him merely as a colleague, a boss, who fired him not much more than a week before, well, maybe she would be able to forgive, maybe she would eventually go back to work with him, but for sure would not start suddenly beaming. Unimaginable for me.

Because she doesn't love him any more. Remember, how all her thoughts were about her engagement and wedding at the beginning, and how she lost all interest later. Sad. But meaningful.

(I do hope the theory of her being pregnant isn't true)?

Me too!
(Although I wouldn't completely exclude. Unfortunately. Rowling needs to keep things exciting even if they - C&R - get together.)

Same answer as to question 1. Really, she could have waited a bit with the answer, if she had any respect left for Matthew. (But it seems she didn't. Or couldn't keep her feelings under control. And not because she thought her boss decided to reemploy her. I absolutely can't imagine that.)

And I can't imagine that Matthew will not resent this. Maybe he was able to hold himself back in the church, in front of the guests, but afterwards he won't be silent about it. And in a way, I should say he is right. It is kind of humiliating, isn't it? At least by no way normal. It's certainly normal that she turned when she heard the crash (Matthew did too), even though hard, let's suppose that it's OK to smile at Strike, but, really, is it OK not to turn back to her fiancé before she says I do?

03/07/2018 - 8:42 am