To be continued... | Discuss Cormoran Strike! | Discuss

To be continued...
02/01/2018 - 4:59 pm

Impulse said

Well it wasn't until the 4th harry potter book that things got crazy, before then it was just like now but a bit more active, so we could see history repeat itself.
Also didn't the the first movie come out before the 4th book? Which helped, and we've now got the tv series before the 4th book, so we will see what happens.
I'm also guessing around the same wait time for the 4s, I did notice before that they parallel, except we're getting at least 13 books so it will be interesting when the parallels stop and what happens in term of content and fans after book 7, I'm hoping they will still be great.

This is interesting info until two years ago I didn't even read any HP fanfics, and I generally missed all the came with it. But I would love to see how things will go with the Strike fandom. As a kid, I grow up with HP and loved it, and as an adult, I love Strike books just as much.

02/01/2018 - 2:44 pm

Leafling said
I wonder if the Strike fandom will ever grow to rival the Harry Potter fandom / factions? That would be amazing.

02/01/2018 - 9:43 am

Leafling said

That's an interesting question! I guess it depends... How interesting the cases will be, how intense Robin's and Cormoran's relationship will be, how much the serie will manage to have an influence...
I hope they will promote some things better in the future though!

02/01/2018 - 8:56 am

02/01/2018 - 1:21 am

Impulse said

Yes I've said all this for ages thought I was the only one who thought so, we start from robins pov the day of the wedding or the day before I reckon.

Oh, but that is fantastic! Sorry, I didn't see that, I so would have quoted you for support! 😀

Impulse said

I think she realises about her phone on her actual wedding day and then confronts him before the wedding, hence why they are both ' stony faced'. Plus it would cast bad luck on their marriage the fact I'm guessing Mathew will see Robin in her dress before her wedding.

I think she goes through with it because of all the pressure, the guests are there, it would be an embarrassment, plus she probably feels like it's too late and if she was to end it it should of been when her mother said so.

That reminds me of "She must plow on, to the finish line", that what she thinks at some point, right? Being very dutiful about the wedding, especially because she thinks her other options (aka Cormoran) are dead, seems like the prime motivator for Robin to go on despite everything.

I don't think I have on this thread lol don't worry, just in my first couple posts I think.
It was pretty dead back then like a couple of posts per month so would only check like once a month, I decided to sign up because I thought if I make this place slightly more active more people might join. But then I didn't post that much because I didn't want a conversation with myself aha. It's great to see it so busy now, I check once a day just to keep up.
It's great because I prefer forums because you can theorise more and it's basically down time not connected with your personal life.

And sorry for saying they were both stony faced that's what I always thought, I guess it's an easy enough misread. Perhaps they haven't fallen out yet, though but surely Mathew would be pissed that robins not joyful when marrying him.

01/31/2018 - 9:52 pm

Matthew does NOT love her for who she is.

I agree! Robin's character changed after her abuse and her new character was fitting to Matthew's expectations and so from his part they stayed together! As for Robin because of that change of character and her insecurities she also stayed with him! Both of them love an idea they have for each other and I believe they are getting married because it's the logical follow-up of the path they took!

01/31/2018 - 5:46 pm

Matthew does NOT love her for who she is.

I would put this more like Matthew doesn't love who Robin is becoming, rather than not loving her.

01/31/2018 - 5:25 pm

Agreed...weddings are such a big production that it could conceivably seem simpler to just go through with it and sort out the resolution later. Especially when you have parents who are stressing out about every detail. (Not a smart decision, in my opinion, but I actually know people who did this. Several weeks later they returned the gifts and apologized to everyone involved.)

Generally speaking, I'd agrees with you both. After thinking about it, however, I'm not so sure, that Robin is the kind of person, to go through with it because she is afraid of what everyone is going to think. I feel, that's more like Matthew, worrying about appearances etc.

Robin on the other hand is different. I wager that she would go through with it, because a) she still believes she loves Matthew, and b) marrying Matthew - to her - is somehow an achievement, that links back to the dreams of old Robin.

Or, putting it the other way round: For her to STOP the wedding she would need to seriously analyse her emotional situation - never ONCE crying about Matthew while away with Cormoran on their trip up to Barrow, instead showing jealousy whenever he interacts with women on a level that suggests attraction, and only ever displaying sadness, when Cormoran wants to go back because he's meeting Elin - (I mean, Robin, the clues are ALL THERE, just be a effing detective!), and realise that Matthew does NOT love her for who she is.

01/31/2018 - 4:43 pm

Kaqu said

Which then begs the question what the f happens in between that she is still willing to marry Matthew! Any ideas?

I don't know, but to me it seems like such an extremely difficult and hard decision to call off a wedding just a few days before it happens. Especially in a small town like Masham, where a lot of people know her and Matthew. The social pressure must be excruciating. Maybe she feels there is no other way than forward.

01/31/2018 - 4:03 pm

janeausten24 said

Another interesting aspect of the blocked call that I don't think Matthew knows about....

Oh the possibilities....maybe this is how Robin finds out soon after the wedding...maybe Strike calls her about work, is immediately directed to voicemail, and Robin realizes there was no trace of his call...

Your link says that this feature was introduced by iOS 7, which was in turn (I googled) released in 2013. So Robin is not using iOS 7 in 2011. (But maybe some version of Android. Or - most likely, I think - Rowling did not explore this aspect of the story too much, she just wrote what she thought.)

01/31/2018 - 3:45 pm

janeausten24 said

Now this is INTERESTING - what a great discovery! So, let's hope Robin is an iPhone-Person (haha)

01/31/2018 - 3:35 pm

Thank you to all that shared their opinions in this topic! In case I disagreed with one of your options from now on I will keep my opinion to myself!

01/31/2018 - 3:05 pm

Kaqu said

I believe you can still call the person you have blocked, but they can't call you back. I have never tried this, but I think that's how it works (I've looked it up a while ago for something I was writing at the time).

I think it works the same with texts. So maybe she really hasn't noticed anything odd. Because Matthew didn't remove Strike from her phone, he only deleted the call history and blocked Cormoran.

01/31/2018 - 2:55 pm

This has to be a part of it, surely. But does this the mean you believe she will go through with it (so no cliffhanger) - or do you believe something serious (what?) will have to happen for her to call it quits? (Sorry, if this is a redundant question. you've probabaly written your POV already at some point, I just don't seem to find it..)

I think she will go through with it, because I can't really see a plausible way out. But I will be happy to be surprised!

01/31/2018 - 2:46 pm

Impulse said

Impulse said

01/31/2018 - 2:43 pm

Impulse said

They are not both stony-faced! Only Robin is described as the bride that didn't smile once during the ceremony and at this point we don't know nothing about who Matthew is looking! Matthew is described as stony-faced when he sees Cormoran at the church and Robin saying "I do" looking at him!

01/31/2018 - 2:37 pm

Edit: spelling and minor additions.

Maybe Matthew confessed half of the truth so oblivious to the other things he did she goes on with the wedding!
Maybe Matthew confessed the whole truth but conviced her that he did out of love and she is marrying but is not happy about it!
Maybe she did look up news about the case and Strike but she hasn't has to go to her call history to do that and still doesn't know what happened!
Maybe she didn't call someone or didn't receive a call the two days followed by the incident and goes on with the wedding!
But as all of you pointed out it's difficult to cancel it all the last day so she goes on with wedding despite that she might know the truth about what happened! Maybe Cormoran is her way out and she realizes the huge mistake she is about to commit and stops it all the minute she see him, not based on her feelings for him (until the end of the book she didn't realized she had that kind of feelings for him) but based on what he represents, the job she loves to do and freedom to do it!

01/31/2018 - 2:34 pm

You're absolutely right. It's only natural that Robin would be burning to talk to Cormoran. And it would be very interesting, all the conflict being transferred into the honeymoon onto a beach; Robin going crazy because she finally knows that she's back at work, but bored like hel because she's stuck with Matthew, finally (hopefully) realising that she doesn't want to be with him..

Szenario 9:

Robin has already confronted Matt about her phone moments before the ceremony started (fun wist would her being so furious that she actually confronts him in her wedding dress), he has denied that there was a call from Strike (possibly making her feel bad because she is jinxing the wedding and all). She doesn't believe him, but believes now it's too late anyway. Now she's at the wedding, anguished that she might have missed a last chance. Cue Cormoran smashing the flowers, Robin realising that - yes - not all is lost, Matt, stony-faced, knows that the jig is up.
Wedding bands are not exchanged because Robin now knows for sure that Matt lied, does not want to marry him after all.

A bit flowery, but it's quite telling that during the last few chapters we havn't seen Robin's POV. My gues would be, that LW starts way before the flower crashing scene in St. Mary's to reveal what Robin is really thinking during the last 48 hours leading up to her wedding. (I have a theory, I don't want to spoil quite yet)

EDIT: spelling.

01/31/2018 - 2:22 pm

Kaqu said

01/31/2018 - 2:13 pm

I didn't say that I'm not interested in your opinions but having honeymoon scenes in a crime novel I find it just absurd!

You might say you like hearing other opinions, but ridiculing them like this

Oh come on you guys it's a crime novel not Fifty shades of Grey with Anastasia and Christian going on their honeymoon and him punishing her for doing something it wasn't of his liking! (I don't usually read books like that and it was the last I read with honeymoon chapters)

hardly encourages others to share theories freely and openly.

I get that you're passionate about Strike. We all are. But I what i liked about this forum is that it's the kind of place, where we could discuss even the most ridiculous and out-of-the-world theories, find pros and cons, without being put down.

It's just another opinion with an example why do you feel ridiculed by it! I see fitting a honeymoon scene in another kind of books but not in a crime novel and concider it a waste of time and pages!

StMawes: 40