The roses delivered to Robin in CoE | Discuss Cormoran Strike! | Discuss

Register Members

The roses delivered to Robin in CoE
Joanne
04/01/2018 - 12:48 pm

Thank you and I do think you're right.

Just for curiosity sake, I kind of hope that someone asks JKR about who sent them, if she has one of those Q&A's. Just to hear what she would answer 🙂

04/01/2018 - 7:37 am

No, it didn't.

One of my guesses about the scene was that it was in the book (mostly) only for the sake of the spectacle. Robin carrying a bunch of flowers and Strike smilingly holding the door for her. If this was the case, than the roses scene was there in the show, only in another episode. (I mean the Cuckoo's calling.)

But I may be wrong. The fact that the scene was not there in the last episode does not necessarily mean that it won't turn up in one of the next books. Although I personally think that it is not very likely.

Joanne
03/31/2018 - 9:41 pm

Darn...I have to assume that the roses didn't show up in the TV version of "Career of Evil" since there's been no up date on this thread.

I was really hoping that we would find out for sure who sent them. I guess we'll just have to go with the obvious suspect--Matthew.

03/01/2018 - 3:04 pm

To me it seems too subtle to be a red herring. But I might be wrong! If the roses are in the next episode of CoE, then I'm pretty sure they play a role in Lethal White (but I could be wrong about that as well). Please JK Rowling, hurry up!

03/01/2018 - 11:14 am

But just for the sake of the argument: Who else could've sent the roses?

Matthew?

Well, my personal opinion about this roses thing is that if there is a red herring in the books at all then this is it. I am totally aware that I may be wrong but for me any of those other things I mentioned before I consider as (potential) "seeds for future plots" (the dream of Strike about the baby, their discussion about horses, the BÖC quote at the end of book three about the red hat and the kiss....) look more real. For me this roses scene is just way too direct to be a seed for a future plot. And, also: a hater from the past in two consecutive books? Doesn't it sound a bit... boring? At least from the pen of a world class writer?

So, I would rather go for the first option of Caitlin: the abandoned roses being just a metaphor of Robin's love (and: relationship) with Matthew.

02/28/2018 - 4:59 pm

Absolutely; I would also think it's the rapist. An wasn't it mentioned that he behaved overly politely in court? Would be fitting.

But just for the sake of the argument: Who else could've sent the roses?

Hmm... From someone close to her that knew she had a difficult time and wanted to cheer her up? From someone that is in love with her and will appear the moment she is single? Maybe it was a message from the killer and if she had opened the card they would have solved the mystery sooner? Matthew cheated again and the woman is kinda crazy and send Robin flowers informing her with each rose of they days they've been together? (ok that is way to stupid but I wrote it anyway just in case...) Maybe a very satisfied client that wanted to thank her and fancies her?
What would really surprise me though it's if they were from Cormoran!

02/28/2018 - 1:32 pm

I tend to believe it's more something alongside option two because J.K Rowling said she planted seeds for future plots though out the previous three books.

But just for the sake of the argument: Who else could've sent the roses?

02/20/2018 - 8:24 pm

It's chapter 31 right at the beginning. No, there is no conversation between the Interflora delivery man and C&R, but they both arrive simulaneously and (at least here) we can safely assume that the guy would have asked for their names before handing over the roses. So, I'd say the roses are definitely for Robin, but from whom... that's the question.

Thanks! I can't get myself to hold the copy of CoE again in my hands since I finished it! lol

Now about the question "from whom?"
For me they could be from Matthew and used as a metaphor that she will let her relationship with him behind her like she did with his flowers or they were send to her with a message from someone who wants to hurt her, maybe the man who raped her and each rose has the significance of the months he had to spend in jail because of her or how many women he raped or something like that, because if I remember correctly there were many roses in the bouquet.

02/20/2018 - 9:22 am

By the person who delivered the roses what is mentioned that they were for Robin or Cormoran and Robin suppose that since it's a bouquet of roses it was meant for her?
I can't recall that part at all...

Suzy
02/15/2018 - 9:59 pm

This thread is so interesting. There are definitely people here who are much better at looking for deeper meaning than I. The observation that roses seem to be given with insincere intent is impressive. The idea that they are from Robins rapist would make a great story but I’m skeptical that there will be two books in a row where Robin is the “victim”. I tend to think we’ll see her coming into her own a lot in the next book after the separation from Matthew.

My idea was that maybe they’re going to be from her new love interest. That made me wonder about single men Robin has met during the first 3 books and the only one I can think of is Al Rokeby besides Shanker and the computer guy. So something like that would add some interesting new tension.

02/13/2018 - 7:19 pm

LindMea said

The book doesn't reveal the specific fate of the card - just that Robin had left it behind, unopened; that Cormoran didn't feel it was his place to dispose of the roses or still unopened card (which seems to imply that the card was still out in the open, attached to the flowers); and that Robin shoved the "dying roses in their dry plastic bag" headfirst into the bin.

So it's open to a bit of interpretation, but I think it's likely the card got thrown out with the flowers.

I remember reading a brief flashback/ inner monologue that the unopened card still lay on her desk.

02/13/2018 - 7:18 pm

I can't recall that part at all...

02/13/2018 - 5:19 pm

Leafling said

If I remember it correctly the card is in Robin's desk drawer.

~~~ Follow me on Tumblr | Find my Strike Series Fanfic on A03 ~~~

02/13/2018 - 5:02 pm

Leafling said

If I remember it correctly the card is in Robin's desk drawer.

Ah! I was going back to re-read that part because I didn't recall completely. Thanks!

02/13/2018 - 4:46 pm

I'm guessing that the card that came with the roses will turn up unexpectedly, having been accidentally swept under the desk or sofa in the office when the roses were knocked over ... and then we will be surprised to learn who sent them and what the message was.

If I remember it correctly the card is in Robin's desk drawer.

02/13/2018 - 4:34 pm

02/13/2018 - 4:04 pm

I would love to read the story where the flowers come from the guy how raped Robin.
That could be a just as gruesome and personal mystery for her as CoE was for Cormoran.

02/13/2018 - 3:53 pm

Impulse said

I think the flowers will mean something, however I think we're thinking to much on it and it's probably just from Charlotte to Cormoran. However I hope not as I'm not to sure about Charlotte joining the plot I just find it annoying, but that's probably how it's suppose to be. So I hope I'm wrong.

I've got a bad feeling about those roses, the horrible thought that LindMea had about them had popped into my head too (after the third reading of the book). Fot me it would be a relief if they turned out to have been sent by Charlotte.

02/13/2018 - 2:55 pm

Kaqu said
It's pretty exciting to think that we'll have some sort of answer on how important the flowers and card are when we watch CoE. If they're not in there, they probably don't play a role in the next installment. But if they are ...

02/13/2018 - 7:52 am