The motive | Discuss Cormoran Strike! | Discuss

The motive
03/05/2018 - 8:29 am

Oh, he was! When he made his list on the day following her firing,

”He paused, arguing with himself, scowling over the paper. After much thought, he reluctantly wrote:
5) Shanker”

He was not so hesitant in the past when he asked help from Shanker, I think...

that is true! If he was jealous - which I believe you're right - that DOES make a lot more sense! (btw, this grudge would've evaporated the second Strike suspects Shanker's and Alisa's sleeping with eachother)

03/04/2018 - 8:22 pm

But why wasn't he angry at Shanker too?

Oh, he was! When he made his list on the day following her firing,

5) Shanker”

He was not so hesitant in the past when he asked help from Shanker, I think...

03/02/2018 - 3:01 pm

I'm not sure if it is relevant here, but I find it interesting:

Remember, Strike asked Robin in the firing scene: "How the fuck did you get Shanker's number?"

So, how did she?

Well, I'm pretty sure it happened when Strike sent Robin with him to a cashpoint after they received the toe. And Shanker probably gave Robin his number without asking, having in mind something else than a bodyguard role.

Yes now I can see it! She couldn't have his number from Cormoran himself so he guessed that Shanker gave Robin his number and she kept it! But why wasn't he angry at Shanker too? Can see why he would be jealous though!

03/02/2018 - 2:45 pm

I'm not sure if it is relevant here, but I find it interesting:

So, how did she?

03/02/2018 - 1:59 pm

This question also bothered me for quite a while, I even considered to open a topic to discuss it. And I still don't have a satisfactory answer.

Actually, I think that him firing her is just the last bit in a chain of events. We need to go back (at least) to the day when the killer attacked Robin. Which is the same day Strike realized who the killer was. And between that day and the day of her firing there were quite a few days gone (the book isn't specific about the timeline, but it is at least 4-5 days) and Strike never visited Robin (which Robin resented) and, most importantly, didn't tell Robin that he knew who the killer was. Why was that? Wouldn't he tell her this if they were just normal colleagues? I think yes. At the end of book two he quite thoroughly explained Robin who the killer was and why he thought that. Even already in the first book he told her that he has the answer.

Why didn't he tell her this time?

Yes that's also an interesting question! Why didn't he tell her that he figured out who it was since he discovered it after she got injured? Was already the idea in his mind to take seperate paths with her? We know that Cormoran has build a wall around him after his break up with Charlotte and maybe because he thought that Matthew would try to keep Robin away after their wedding he wanted to prevent himself from being hurt again and decided to put an end rather earlier than later on! He distanced himself to the point he didn't even go to see how she is doing after her injury!

I would go with your second answer.

My best guess is that he (as we know) decided that he doesn't want to make a move towards Robin. But, slowly, he had to realize that he just cannot bear Robin being around him, watching her being pretty, clever, brave, moral, getting injured being in danger, and..... getting married. This is why he decided to distance him from her. And her from him. As it didn't work otherwise, he became very rude. Just for her sake. And his, he thought. First. (But later he changed his mind and this is why he went to the wedding. 🙂 )

I believe he did want to end things before it's to late and Robin would be another woman to leave him (as he thought at some point but don't recall if it was in The Silkoworm or CoE) because her husband to be didn't like her job! Robin gave him the perfect excuse to get out before it's to late!

And there is one last thing that I noticed and was thinking of a lot. On the following day, his internal monologue is this: "the thought of her heading off with Shanker, without telling him, and after Carver had warned them not to go anywhere near the suspects, made rage thunder through his veins all over again". I don't quite get it. If he knew that it wasn't Brockbank, then why was it such a big deal that Brockbank fled? Strike himself said that Carver thought his suspects were bullshit. And Carver also said in the hospital that "we checked all three of your fucking hunches. There's nothing in any of them."

So was it (partly) because of Shanker? Because Robin didn't involve him but Shanker?

I really don't know about this but you might be right! I don't remember well but Cormoran didn't want to do something about Brockbank in the first place so why would he feel put aside when Robin asked for Shanker's help since he knew deep down because of her past Robin wouldn't leave a little girl in danger whether he was only an abuser or also the killer. It's confusing though because Cormoran knew at this point who the killer was and he could tell Robin and they could go to the police and help the little girl!

03/01/2018 - 12:42 pm

Definitely agree Benedek - the calendar acts like a bit of an alarm going off during the scene. It also bites the dust in the scene which Robin doesn't even notice, so I wonder if it is foreshadowing that this is all a chain of events towards the wedding not happening too.

Your point about her going off with Shanker hits the nail on the head - I think he feels a bit betrayed too and sees it as disloyalty.

03/01/2018 - 12:13 pm

why did really Cormoran fire Robin?

So, yes he found out that she did something against his wishes and almost got hurt and it's the first time that we see that he is angry not because Robin put herself in danger but because she put his business at risk but it's that the only reason behind his anger?

No, I absolutely don't think so. Their relationship by that time was far too complicated than a regular boss-employee relationship.

Why didn't he tell her this time?

Would his reaction would be the same if he wasn't in love with her?

Might another reason be that he wanted to protect himself because the date of the wedding was coming closer and he didn't trust himself to keep his feelings in track around Robin?

I would go with your second answer.

03/01/2018 - 7:01 am

Is there only one motive behind Cormoran's decision to fire Robin or his decision is a combination of more than one?

I was talking to a friend that I conviced recently to read the books and we came up with the question why did really Cormoran fire Robin?

Maybe he had formed a plan earlier on to fake fire her and distract the killer's attention from her so he could set him up but was Robin's action enough to get him to the point to really fire her?

Would his reaction would be the same if he wasn't in love with her? She was getting married in a few days and he couldn't do something about it, he saw the calender in the kitchen with the date marked so could it be that his frustration fuelled further his anger towards her and brought him to the point to fire her?

Was it just anger at himself mirrored on her because he didn't do something to prevent her from putting herself at risk because deep down he knew that she wouldn't let this matter alone, maybe also anger because his actions in the past put her at risk and he couldn't do something to protect her?

What do you guys think?