Signs, Foreshadowing or just things to mess with us...? | Page 3 | Discuss Cormoran Strike! | Discuss

Signs, Foreshadowing or just things to mess with us...?
11/11/2017 - 12:17 pm

Joanne said
One of the ideas that was presented in this thread that has led me to consider at least tweaking my previous beliefs was the incident with Cormoran and Charlotte. Specifically her using her old tricks to manipulate Cormoran back to her by threatening to marry Jago unless Cormoran came back to save/rescue her from her self-imposed fate.

I agree that this seems to foreshadow Cormoran now being in the position to instead act as Robin’s “knight on a white horse” and save the woman he really loves from marrying the wrong man.

I also agree. And consider: this can be a thing that could really piss Charlotte off. If they (Robin and Cormoran) simply got together without a scene Charlotte would not necessarily suspect that this is something more, something special. After all, Cormoran has already had a girlfriend since Charlotte. OK, she may not know about that as they were hiding it because of Elin’s ex. (And because of C.) But Charlotte cannot possibly think that Cormoran has been living in chastity since their break-up more than a year ago. He used to have girlfriends between their previous breakups as well. And now he got famous because of his two previous cases, so Charlotte can think that women are attracted to him even more.
BUT, to do something that is so spectacular, and something she was fantasizing about, for another girl, is probably beyond all measures in her eyes. So, time to appear and start an elaborated revenge. We all agree that Ch will appear soon, don’t we? This could be a worthy event for her to start acting.

And yes, as you say, those many parallels with the myth of Castor and Pollux in the books up to this point also suggest that the wedding scene will be a continuation of it. I had a hard time to understand why Rowling took Robin to the wedding at all (instead of letting her leave Matthew for good) but maybe it was to be able to continue the parallels between Cormoran and Pollux and to give Charlotte really good reasons to get pissed off.

11/10/2017 - 9:19 pm

Joanne said
Cormoran’s White Horse

Reading some of these great ideas here—made me rethink my long held conviction that the ending of Career of Evil was really a very straightforward and settled situation. After all, on the last page JKR called Matthew, Robin’s “new husband”. There doesn’t seem to be any real wiggle room—pretty much a carved in stone statement of fact.

But there were two things brought up here that made me, for the first time really, think there might be a couple of cracks in that stone and maybe even a few rays of real light shinning through.

It will, of course, all depend on which of the many breadcrumbs Jo has left along the trail, will ultimately prove to be the real path going forward.

The other reason I think there might be a sliver of hope is because JKR has also set up parts of the Greek myth of Leda and the Swan that could be offering foreshadowing as well. She has definitely given Cormoran some of the same qualities that the mythical Leda’s immortal son Pollux (fathered by King of the Greek Gods, Zeus) possessed. (Cormoran’s father is the “rock god” Jonny Rokeby).

Mythical Leda had two sons—twins—but only half-brothers because they had different fathers. Castor, the mortal half-brother was the son of her Spartan King husband and Pollux, the immortal son of Zeus.

Leda Strike also has two biological sons, Cormoran and her son by her last husband, Jeff Whittaker (a son who is never really shown or talked about and who is far from being a twin to Cormoran since there’s a considerable age difference between the two).

It is for this reason that I think JKR may mean to use bits and pieces from this myth in the story but to have Cormoran and Shanker as the representatives of the two mythical sons of Leda.

I will try to explain what I mean by that statement. In the mythical story of Leda and the Swan—Leda is the Spartan Queen and both of her sons are known for their fame as cavalry soldiers (Sparta is after all a military state)—hence Cormoran’s military background and since Pollux is also known for his boxing skills—Cormoran’s background highlights his boxing skills.

White Horses also figure into the mythical half-brother’s story in a big way and, if JKR wants to use this aspect of the myth, it could possibly foreshadow an escape for the marriage dilemma.

In the Greek myth the two brothers want to marry the daughters of Leucippus (“White Horse”). Interestingly both the daughters are already betrothed to two cousins; so Castor and Pollux kidnap the two women and marry them. (A common occurrence it seems in ancient times.)

Even though there is only one betrothed woman in this story, Robin, I think that Shanker is definitely playing the part of Castor since he thought of Leda as his mother and he is close to Cormoran’s age and in these last scenes he is clearly playing the “horseman”/driver for his brother Cormoran/Pollux. So will there be a way he ends up spiriting (“kidnapping”) Robin and Cormoran back to London?? (Not saying this means they immediately become a couple—but she would definitely be going back to work for him).

Just a side note: Castor and Pollux were not only twins but so closely joined in brotherhood that when Castor was slain and Pollux, who was also in mortal danger, was saved by Zeus, he asked his father to instead let his brother share his immortality so he wouldn’t lose him.
Zeus said that would only be possible if he were willing then to share his brother’s mortality. Pollux agreed, so the brothers shared their eternity alternating between Olympus (heaven) and Hades (not heaven ;^) [Doubt Jo will go this far but something to keep in mind.]

The book Career of Evil ends with a basically frozen scene—all eyes waiting on how this plays out. Matthew is definitely aware that
Robin was looking at Cormoran when she said, “I do”. But he was alone in knowing the true danger of that moment when Cormoran appeared. The very thing he had tried to prevent had happened and his worse fear of exposure as the one who sabotaged Robin, was now, pretty much a foregone conclusion.

The ball is now in Matthew’s court and I personally don’t think there is a good way out for him, especially since he also knows his bride never smiled, until the moment she saw Cormoran.

Thanks Joanne for sharing this with us! I hope you are also right and the myth is another sing that Robin's and Matthew's wedding wont be completed! I wish I knew what's going on in J.K Rowling's mind and what she intends to do with Robin's character!

I've said it before and I will say it again: For me Matthew's character has nothing more to give to the story! Until book three we found out 1. How little he values Robin 2. He doesn't respect her 3. Understimates her 4. Has cheated on her while she was in her worst moment 5. Obligated her to be some kind of friends with his ex mistress 6. He doesn't care if he hurts her if that means he will get what he wants (showing her the newspaper with Cormoran's add) and 7. How little he cares about what makes her happy (deleted things from her phone so she wouldn't had a chance to get back the work she loves doing) So what more can he do to her?
To keep him around only as an obstacle between Robin and Cormoran is not of my liking and I hope J.K Rowling is more creative if she wants to keep them apart for 1-2 more books!

Joanne
11/09/2017 - 5:23 pm

Cormoran’s White Horse

11/01/2017 - 10:53 am

Pamela Fizler said
I never thought specifically about this parallel between Robin and Charlotte, now i see, that's interesting. I hope that Cormoran can do for Robin what he didn't want to do for Charlotte! I think that unconsciously he hopes his presence in the ceremony can make difference for Robin!

I believe too that Cormoran goes to Robin's wedding subcutaneously thinking that he might do something to prevent her from marrying Matthew even if he doesn't admit it to himself!

Pamela Fizler said
I agree with Benedek on this point. I thought about what i read here in this topic and for me is still difficult to think that Robin will actually getting marriage with Matthew. I can't see the point of this alredy failed marriage. I think someone said here too that Matthew isn't necessary to keep the tension between Cormoran and Robin, and i agree. I see that Robin will develop much better in Lethal White (or ok, maybe on the fifth book) when break up with Matthew. My point is that i believe JK isn't interested in develop the relationship between Robin and Matthew for so long, i think (and i wish) she is driving the history to bring together C and R. So, for me Robin needs a good time single, before her and C become a couple, and is better not waste time with Matthew and a marriage that she seems not want.

Pamela I was the one that said that Matthew's presence isn't needed as a mean to keep the tension in Robin's and Cormoran's relationship!
Let's imagine we are standing before an object that we want and we haven't money to buy it and a showcase is preventing us from even touching it... We might be disappointed but we will move on! But what if the showcase isn't there anymore and the object is available to us?
And that's why there is no one that can convince me that the tesnion isn't going to be bigger between Cormoran and Robin if she is single and he is kinda free to act on his feelings despite the boundaries he has set himself in order to not ruin their business relationship!

Pamela Fizler said
I hope too J.K Rowling takes under consideration the chemistry between Holly and Tom in the tv-show for the next books!

Tom and Holly are pretty amazing! Since a long time I haven't seen on tv a couple that can transmit so much with only looking and smiling at each other! I believe that they will be a wonderful couple when J.K Rowling decides to bring Cormoran and Robin together! Can't wait for it!

11/01/2017 - 2:59 am

I also want to add two things:

1. It's a parallel between Charlotte and Robin! Also in The Silkworm Charlotte sends Cormoran a photo of her as a bride and Robin gets to see her and thinks of her as "incomparably sad bride!"
In Career of evil Robin is described "the beautiful bride who had not once smiled in the entire service!"

2. In The Silkworm Charlotte is trying to persuade Cormoran to go to her wedding and in a way save her from her upcoming marriage!
Cormoran decides not to act on her request and we see that she got married to Jago but Cormoran does go to Robin's wedding so does it mean maybe that the outcome of Robin's wedding ceremony will be different?
Is Cormoran going to do unconsciously for Robin what he didn't do for Charlotte and save her from an unhappy marriage?

I agree that the books are full of parallels, signs etc. in connection to Cormoran and Robin, and their relationship. These relate partly to Robin’s wedding, as you - I think - correctly pointed out. For sure there will something important happen. No way that everybody (including C) will go home and Robin and Matthew to honeymoon satisfied over a nice but not too special wedding.

But, as you know, I even think that the books - especially CoE - are full of hints that C loves R and that R loves C. So I also think that they’ll get together soon. 🙂

10/27/2017 - 11:56 am

Impulse said
I think Robin already knows she fancies him, at least subconsciously. I say this because she is so in denial of it. Take for example her lunch with her mother, she is thinking of strike the whole time not even bothered about the wedding. Then her mother goes on to say something about cormoran and Robin goes on the defensive about not fancying him, despite her mum not saying anything of the sort as far as I remember?

Plus their roadtrip in coe where i can't even begin to explain, robins dream about him coming to her room, her wondering about him with the prostitute, even jealousy towards her and to Ellen too and loads if other stuff.

I can actually see Robin and Cormoran having a fling in the fifth or six book for around 1/3 of it, but it being the wrong time and things ending slightly badly. Ofcourse they will come to sort it out. Then all the angst feeling and stuff accelerating, maybe then a one night stand or something in the ninth book and things just getting complex.

Plus Charlotte will probably be hanging over their heads and I can even see cormoran even going back to her for a little while, maybe even two times.

J. K. Rowling did say that she had at least 13 books planned and it will depend on how far she can push Cormoran and Robins relationship or something.

But then again she also said that she will keep going with the story as long as she's got cases for them to solve also, so maybe after a long while they will be together but also solving cases as usual.
I don't see J.K being the sort to give them a bickering relationship anyway, I think they will just be happy enough, with maybe the odd row centered on the investigation ala coe.

The only three things I want to say are:
1. I hope J.K Rowling will take under consideration for the development of her books the amazing chemistry between Holly and Tom in the tv-show and doesn't let it go to waste!
2. I hope the will they/won't they tension between Cormoran and Robin doesn't become boring to read + watch as the Donna/Harvey thing in tv-show Suits!
3. I also hope that Cormoran's and Robin's lifes aren't turned into a mexican telenovela!

10/26/2017 - 9:49 pm

10/25/2017 - 7:51 am

I read a few things about it here and there, but I don’t remember all... I think people were thinking about it as a plot thing, either Robin working undercover or in real life as the author of the Hogwartsprofessor site (this is the only site Ican remember) that discussed the chart. It said:

“Could this be the Personal Assistant position Robin turned down in Cuckoo’s Calling to stay on at Strike’s? In his send-off to her then he said he imagined her working for a rich CEO in a swank office. Perhaps she refuses to go back to being his junior partner (or he won’t have her back after her decisions at the end of Career counter his direction which led him to fire her). No doubt, if this is the case, she will become involved with a murder case at the office and do her best to solve it on her own — or maybe with the black woman police officer we met in Career whom Rowling has said plays a larger role in Lethal White.”

I personnally don’t think she would refuse to go back to Strike in Lethal White and voluntarily work for a rich CEO. But my guess was that Lethal White will actually be about horses, and such a company does not fit into that theory either. So, to tell the truth, I have no clue.

I imagined that Lethal White would be a case about drugs in which Cormoran might also discover what happend to his mother!

As for Robin and the CEO position my guess is that she will work undercover for him in another case while Cormoran investigates the drug case!

The black woman police officer I always thought will be Robin's roomate if she dumps Matthew!

10/25/2017 - 6:55 am

10/24/2017 - 8:28 am

Hello everyone, I stumbled across your lovely site on the hunt for information about the notes on the Robert Galbraith website home page. It shows a organisational heirarchy featuring Robin and some interesting sounding characters. Maybe a hint towards the plot of Lethal White? (Or maybe just a massive red herring...)

Couldn't work out how to add an image, if at all possible, but you can view the webpage here: http://web.archive.org/web/201.....raith.com/

Anyone know if this is being discussed elsewhere? Any Rowling/Galbraith handwriting experts available to verify authenticity? Wink

10/18/2017 - 8:49 am

I really love your comments because you sound more optimistic about Robin's wedding outcome than I am myself! I'm going through a difficult time in my life and I'm in need of good things to happen even in a book series that I love to read! We are waiting for the fourth book for so long and if it gets published soon I hope it gives me a reason to smile!

10/17/2017 - 6:57 pm

10/17/2017 - 8:51 am

I originally posted it on tumblr but I wanted to post it also here for those who might not have an account there...

(Spoilers for those who haven’t read the books)

During the three books so many things have been mentioned that might have a meaning for Cormoran’s and Robin’s future!

In The Cuckoo’s calling: Cormoran while drunk mentions to Robin about the “kairos moment” he had with Charlotte! “Kairos moment. An’ it means,“ and from somewhere in his soused brain he dredged up words of surprising clarity, "the telling moment. The special moment. The supreme moment.” Was that to indicate that Robin will have a “kairos moment” maybe even while she is getting married and sees Cormoran at the ceremony?

In The Silkworm: Matthew after he meets Cormoran for the first time says about him: “He will arrive fourty minutes late and ruin the service!”

In Career of Evil: Cormoran to himself: “There’s still time!” He claims to not know at what he is referring to but subconsciously he thinks of Robin’s wedding! So did he/will he have the time to stop Robin from marrying Matthew?

The lyrics from the song used in the last chapter: A redcap, a redcap, before the kiss… Blue Öyster Cult, “Before the Kiss” (The Royal Military Police (RMP) is the corps of the British Army responsible for the policing of army service personnel, and for providing a military police presence both in the UK and while service personnel are deployed overseas on operations and exercises. Members of the RMP are often known as ‘Redcaps’ because of the scarletcovers on their peaked caps, or scarlet coloured berets.) Cormoran was in the army a redcap so does this mean there will me no wedding and so no kiss between the newlyweds or that the ceremony will be completed and Cormoran as a Redcap he used to be will witness the kiss between the newlyweds?

Also why did the scriptwriter of Career of Evil had to know how the story continues in Lethal White if nothing more will happen in the ceremony after Robin’s “I do and she is concidered married?”

I also want to add two things:

10/12/2017 - 8:21 am

LindMea said

I think that the real reason Moonlighting got cancelled was just the terrible writing! They were so afraid of letting the characters be together that, as I recall, they spent a whole season on really contrived ways to keep them apart.

As a counterpoint to the Moonlighting curse - Bones! 12 seasons, and the two leads were together and happy (most of the time) for as long as they were doing the will they/won't they thing.

So it CAN work! But I agree that I don't want them to get together too soon, because the break up with Matthew needs to be handled with realism, and Robin needs time to be single and amazing for a while.

I loved Bones and that in the end of season 6 something happened and in season 7 they became a couple! It was good timing with just enough tension and also enough time for us to enjoy them as a couple! Bones and Booth both had some issues while they became a couple not all was bright and shiny but they worked on them while being together!

I have also to add here Castle with eight seasons and the show didn't got canceled because Beckett and Castle got together but three seasons later and because the actors started to have issues with each other! I also enjoyed watching the crime solving and for four seasons the tension and the will they/won't they possibility between them and season five was perfect timewise for them to get together!

As for Cormoran and Robin I believe they need time to be alone lets say during books 4-5 and maybe book five can end with a cliffhanger and in book six they decide to give their feelings a chance and become a couple! I would love though if in the fifth book they would have a case in which they had to pretend to be a couple for some time! It would be a good opportunity for them to realize some things...

I know what you mean about realism but sometimes we read books or watch a tv-show because we want and a little bit of magic and by that I don't mean an evil witch will appear and turn Matthew into stone but Robin just realizing she wants another life as the one Matthew is offering her and just decides to not get married to him even the last second! And in that way so many signs, foreshadowing and parallels will fall into place if we can concider all those things as such and if J.K Rowling intends to use them...

10/11/2017 - 2:19 pm

illuminatus said
Anyone remember Moonlighting, with Bruce Willis (David) and Cybil Sheppard (Maddie) - maybe not, i'm old.... 😉

I remember vaguely but I think I never watched although I am old enough. 🙂

But it was hugely successful; most of its success was built on the unresolved sexual tension between the two leads. Then they made the mistake of resolving the tension. And it ruined the show. As soon as that tension was resolved, there was really nowhere else to go.

I have looked "Moonlighting" up on Wikipedia. It says:

"The show's ratings decline is popularly attributed to Episode #14 of Season 3, "I Am Curious… Maddie", which infamously had Maddie and David consummate their relationship after two and a half years of romantic tension. In commentaries on the third season DVD set, however, Caron stated that he did not feel the event led to the show's decline, but that a number of other factors led to the series' decline and eventual cancellation.

Much of that was attributed to the fact that in the fourth season Willis and Shepherd had little screen time together. Jay Daniel explained that, "we had to do episodes where there was no Cybill. She was off having twins. Her scenes were shot early, early on and then you had to integrate them with scenes shot weeks later. You were locked into what those scenes were because of what had already been shot with Cybill."[19] Bruce Willis was also making Die Hard during this period. When that movie became a box office success, a movie career beckoned and his desire to continue in a weekly series waned. In a series that depended on the chemistry between the two main stars, not having them together for the bulk of the fourth season hurt the ratings."

For me it all sounds credible.

And, also, I have no clue how much sexual tension were there between the two leads in Moonlighting. Maybe less than in the Strike books. What I know is that between Strike and Robin there is a lot of sexual tension, I think they are both in love with each other. If Rowling wanted to keep them apart for a long time, she should have written the first three books (and especially the third) differently. I am not saying without any attraction between the two at all, but definitely less.

10/11/2017 - 2:05 pm

illuminatus said
At this point, I'm going to inject a note of caution.

This is why I don't think there will be any easy fixes in a hurry. These stories need a fairly specific kind of spark between Robin and Comoran, and I think lots of that comes from the increasing sense that they both know something is going on, but know that they can't get involved, otherwise it all gets very messy and complicated.

I do think the reception is going to be explosive though. It must be where she finally finds out about the phone (or at least has any suspicions she has confirmed), because there's no way that she's not going to find out that Cormoran called her.

~~~ Follow me on Tumblr | Find my Strike Series Fanfic on A03 ~~~

10/11/2017 - 8:50 am

illuminatus said
At this point, I'm going to inject a note of caution.

I remember the show even though I was very little to understand much about sexual tension, l liked Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepherd! What I do remeber is that even though it was interesting to watch and both are great actors I couldn't feel much of a natural chemistry between them! I might be mistaken you maybe remember better so if you wanna add something to my observation please do so! 🙂
But just because it happend in this tv-show it doesn't mean it can't work in J.K Rowling's books and in Strike! Since I saw Holly and Tom together I'm sure they will be amazing as a couple!
Also I don't claim they should start to date the moment they are both single it would be rushed and not convincing! The only thing I say is that Robin shouldn't marry Matthew at this point!
She can be single, discover herself, live alone, do things she likes, discover her feelings for Cormoran, go on dates meeting other people and the tension between them as single people will grow more...
In that way at least 2-3 more books can pass without Cormoran and Robin being a couple! In book 6/season 6 I believe it will a nice chronological point for them to act on their feelings! J.K Rowling is an amazing writer but she can't go on forever with just the sexual tension between them, eventually it will get boring and if not boring frustrating!
(I'm watching a tv-show for 7 seasons, sexual tension, unresolved feelings, etc and every season they give us something and then take it away and I'm in this point now that I don't care anymore if it happens or not, I don't even watch to be honest, I only reblog things on tumblr!
Also it would be a shame to let go to waste the wonderful chemistry that exists between Holly and Tom! Two people that act around each other this way without being a couple can only be amazing while their relationship develops further... They are very good actors and I believe they won't disappoint us!

10/11/2017 - 12:21 am

At this point, I'm going to inject a note of caution.

10/09/2017 - 4:17 pm

cormorans said
See, for me, she hasn't fully realised she got back with Matthew for the wrong reasons. Just like she is unaware of how she feels towards Strike. Robin has still a long way to go. She needs to really face a few things and so far she hasn't; she's been busy with starting to get the career she's always wanted. The break-up was a set back and you'd think it would have had her realise just what she was in in for with Matthew but nope, didn't happen. He played her (Royal wedding, emotions, tears) and she fell for it because Robin is just that kind of a person, too nice and sweet. Afraid, too. And I don't believe she has completely come to terms with the reasons behind her lack of enthusiasm for her own wedding. She's good at burying her head in the sand when it comes to it. Because, in my opinion, if she really knew she went back to Matthew for the wrong reasons, she wouldn't be at the altar and she wouldn't say 'yes'.
I added the 'maybe' because I believe she will fight that control and he will fail (I hope so anyway)
I don't want to go through the drama of a divorce too, to be fair. But I just can't imagine Lethal White starting with her dumping Matthew at the altar :/

Then I need reasons as for why a woman isn't smiling in one of the most happy moments of her life!
Also I really hope Cormoran's presence is her "kairos moment!"
I hope while seeing him makes her realize that what she really wants is her job and not Matthew!
We don't know if she said "Yes" to Matthew because all her emotions where pointed towards Cormoran's presence, we don't really know what she was thinking until the moment the pastor made the question!
Also very important is that we don't know nothing about her thoughts and emotions after she was in the car driving back to Masham for the wedding!
Maybe she did realize that something isn't right with her decision but since she didn't had a way out she went on with the wedding!
I really, really don't know how J.K Rowling wants to play this out but I as Caitlin can't imagine her getting married, going to the reception, not talking with Cormoran, not finding out about her phone and going oblivious at her honeymoon with Matthew!
Matthew did lots of things to Robin and at some point karma should hit him hard on the face with a chair and I want it to be his wedding day or at least in the middle of the reception!

10/09/2017 - 2:16 pm