Signs, Foreshadowing or just things to mess with us...? | Page 3 | Discuss Cormoran Strike! | Discuss

Register Members

Signs, Foreshadowing or just things to mess with us...?
11/10/2017 - 9:19 pm

Joanne said
Cormoran’s White Horse

Reading some of these great ideas here—made me rethink my long held conviction that the ending of Career of Evil was really a very straightforward and settled situation. After all, on the last page JKR called Matthew, Robin’s “new husband”. There doesn’t seem to be any real wiggle room—pretty much a carved in stone statement of fact.

But there were two things brought up here that made me, for the first time really, think there might be a couple of cracks in that stone and maybe even a few rays of real light shinning through.

It will, of course, all depend on which of the many breadcrumbs Jo has left along the trail, will ultimately prove to be the real path going forward.

One of the ideas that was presented in this thread that has led me to consider at least tweaking my previous beliefs was the incident with Cormoran and Charlotte. Specifically her using her old tricks to manipulate Cormoran back to her by threatening to marry Jago unless Cormoran came back to save/rescue her from her self-imposed fate.

I agree that this seems to foreshadow Cormoran now being in the position to instead act as Robin’s “knight on a white horse” and save the woman he really loves from marrying the wrong man.

The other reason I think there might be a sliver of hope is because JKR has also set up parts of the Greek myth of Leda and the Swan that could be offering foreshadowing as well. She has definitely given Cormoran some of the same qualities that the mythical Leda’s immortal son Pollux (fathered by King of the Greek Gods, Zeus) possessed. (Cormoran’s father is the “rock god” Jonny Rokeby).

Mythical Leda had two sons—twins—but only half-brothers because they had different fathers. Castor, the mortal half-brother was the son of her Spartan King husband and Pollux, the immortal son of Zeus.

Leda Strike also has two biological sons, Cormoran and her son by her last husband, Jeff Whittaker (a son who is never really shown or talked about and who is far from being a twin to Cormoran since there’s a considerable age difference between the two).

It is for this reason that I think JKR may mean to use bits and pieces from this myth in the story but to have Cormoran and Shanker as the representatives of the two mythical sons of Leda.

I will try to explain what I mean by that statement. In the mythical story of Leda and the Swan—Leda is the Spartan Queen and both of her sons are known for their fame as cavalry soldiers (Sparta is after all a military state)—hence Cormoran’s military background and since Pollux is also known for his boxing skills—Cormoran’s background highlights his boxing skills.

White Horses also figure into the mythical half-brother’s story in a big way and, if JKR wants to use this aspect of the myth, it could possibly foreshadow an escape for the marriage dilemma.

In the Greek myth the two brothers want to marry the daughters of Leucippus (“White Horse”). Interestingly both the daughters are already betrothed to two cousins; so Castor and Pollux kidnap the two women and marry them. (A common occurrence it seems in ancient times.)

Even though there is only one betrothed woman in this story, Robin, I think that Shanker is definitely playing the part of Castor since he thought of Leda as his mother and he is close to Cormoran’s age and in these last scenes he is clearly playing the “horseman”/driver for his brother Cormoran/Pollux. So will there be a way he ends up spiriting (“kidnapping”) Robin and Cormoran back to London?? (Not saying this means they immediately become a couple—but she would definitely be going back to work for him).

Just a side note: Castor and Pollux were not only twins but so closely joined in brotherhood that when Castor was slain and Pollux, who was also in mortal danger, was saved by Zeus, he asked his father to instead let his brother share his immortality so he wouldn’t lose him.
Zeus said that would only be possible if he were willing then to share his brother’s mortality. Pollux agreed, so the brothers shared their eternity alternating between Olympus (heaven) and Hades (not heaven ;^) [Doubt Jo will go this far but something to keep in mind.]

The book Career of Evil ends with a basically frozen scene—all eyes waiting on how this plays out. Matthew is definitely aware that
Robin was looking at Cormoran when she said, “I do”. But he was alone in knowing the true danger of that moment when Cormoran appeared. The very thing he had tried to prevent had happened and his worse fear of exposure as the one who sabotaged Robin, was now, pretty much a foregone conclusion.

The ball is now in Matthew’s court and I personally don’t think there is a good way out for him, especially since he also knows his bride never smiled, until the moment she saw Cormoran.

Thanks Joanne for sharing this with us! I hope you are also right and the myth is another sing that Robin's and Matthew's wedding wont be completed! I wish I knew what's going on in J.K Rowling's mind and what she intends to do with Robin's character!

I've said it before and I will say it again: For me Matthew's character has nothing more to give to the story! Until book three we found out 1. How little he values Robin 2. He doesn't respect her 3. Understimates her 4. Has cheated on her while she was in her worst moment 5. Obligated her to be some kind of friends with his ex mistress 6. He doesn't care if he hurts her if that means he will get what he wants (showing her the newspaper with Cormoran's add) and 7. How little he cares about what makes her happy (deleted things from her phone so she wouldn't had a chance to get back the work she loves doing) So what more can he do to her?
To keep him around only as an obstacle between Robin and Cormoran is not of my liking and I hope J.K Rowling is more creative if she wants to keep them apart for 1-2 more books!

11/11/2017 - 12:17 pm

Joanne said

I also agree. And consider: this can be a thing that could really piss Charlotte off. If they (Robin and Cormoran) simply got together without a scene Charlotte would not necessarily suspect that this is something more, something special. After all, Cormoran has already had a girlfriend since Charlotte. OK, she may not know about that as they were hiding it because of Elin’s ex. (And because of C.) But Charlotte cannot possibly think that Cormoran has been living in chastity since their break-up more than a year ago. He used to have girlfriends between their previous breakups as well. And now he got famous because of his two previous cases, so Charlotte can think that women are attracted to him even more.
BUT, to do something that is so spectacular, and something she was fantasizing about, for another girl, is probably beyond all measures in her eyes. So, time to appear and start an elaborated revenge. We all agree that Ch will appear soon, don’t we? This could be a worthy event for her to start acting.

And yes, as you say, those many parallels with the myth of Castor and Pollux in the books up to this point also suggest that the wedding scene will be a continuation of it. I had a hard time to understand why Rowling took Robin to the wedding at all (instead of letting her leave Matthew for good) but maybe it was to be able to continue the parallels between Cormoran and Pollux and to give Charlotte really good reasons to get pissed off.

01/14/2018 - 7:52 pm

As much as Matthew is clearly not good for Robin and she shouldn't marry him, I see the marriage as essential (at this point, anyway) to her relationship with Strike!

Cormoran is aware of his interest in Robin, and he also realizes that a personal or sexual relationship between them would vastly complicate their work together. Possibly even destroy it. As long as Robin is still with Matthew, he is "safe" from worrying about where these feelings could lead. I think that more time spent together will lead to the inevitable -- but by then, both will know each other much better, trust each other much more, and be better equipped to handle it.

01/15/2018 - 4:25 pm

For me it her being married to Matthew isn't essential it's just a waste of time because they will have the same problems as they did in the other three books and it will be boring! Also Robin and Cormoran aren't going to jump in a relationship together the moment she is single! For me essential is Robin to be free of Matthew and discover herself, grow confident and live as she likes for a while and during this progress she can discover the tru nature of her feelings for Cormoran. Using Matthew as an obstacle to a relationship between Cormoran and Robin isn't a good reason to keep him around!

02/01/2018 - 9:41 am

Joanne said
Cormoran’s White Horse

OH MY GOD reading this gave me LIFE! While thinking about it myself, I only got to Leda=Leda, Rokeby=Zeus, Cormoran=Pollux bit; but i totally forgot Switch LaVey Bloom (sidenote: we know who's referenced by LaVey and Bloom, but what's up with the Switch-part?) being perfect to equate to Castor. On top of that, the horses! So funny, that Coromoran explicitly says he hates horses, and Robin then names her uncle's massive Clydesdale.
Also, what you've written about Strike/Shanker and they, too, can be though of as the dioscuri because they're breaking up the wedding really convices me.

I just wanted to add another myth, that hasn't been mentioned so far, i think:
The titles of those chapters where Cormoran's and Robin's relationship is the main focus, JKR references "Endymion, or the man in the moon" by John Lyly. It's pretty clear, that Cormoran is Endymion who falls in love with the queen Cynthia (Robin), and who then is bewitched by a jealous former lover, Tellus (Charlotte). What bothers me about this is, that the play ends with Cynthia kissing and rescuing Endymion from a deadly sleep, BUT they don't end up together, as Endymion explains that his love for Cynthia was an idealising love (or something like that). So, I'm worrying that this might allude to the possibility that Stellacott might not happen, after all...

02/01/2018 - 9:48 am

I just wanted to add another myth, that hasn't been mentioned so far, i think:

Someone has mentioned here "Endymion" I can't recall in which topic and who but I remember there was a twist and he ends up with Cynthia! My memory is so bad right now but if I find I'll copy/paste it here.

02/01/2018 - 9:55 am

It's not the best source, but here's what the wikipedia-entry says:

Endymion explains that his feelings for Cynthia are chaste and sanctified--no one is higher in his affection--but he does not love her romantically. In response, Cynthia grants him her favor, and this blessing transforms him back into a young man. Because Endymion is restored, Tellus is forgiven, and she happily agrees to marry Corsites (who still loves her).

So, they're not a couple. Is there any other way we can understand the metaphor, so they DO end up together? Only thing I can come up with is the original myth, wherein moon goddess Selene falls in love with the sleeping Endymion - so maybe a foreshadowing to Robin kissing Cormoran and finally realising her love while he is in a (deadly) sleep - a coma maybe, in the hospital, so we can neetly wrap up a second (true) Charlotte/Kairos moment for Cormoran?

02/01/2018 - 10:18 am

It's not the best source, but here's what the wikipedia-entry says:

I wish I could find the topic to help you out! There was something that would help but I don't know where I read it! As much as I'm familiar with the other myth I know very little about this one! 🙁 I will search some topics more and I hope I'll find it!

02/01/2018 - 10:22 am

that would be fantastic - thanks!

02/01/2018 - 10:35 am

Look at the “Why did Strike go to Robin’s wedding” topic! 🙂

02/01/2018 - 10:47 am

Look at the “Why did Strike go to Robin’s wedding” topic! 🙂

Benedek you are an angel! Thank you!

02/01/2018 - 10:49 am

that would be fantastic - thanks!

Posted by irnbrugirl66 in the topic "Why did Strike go to Robin's wedding!

Just noticed that at the end of 'The Silkworm' Rowling uses a quote from the play 'Endymion'. This is the Chapter when he visits Robin at her flat to give her the Christmas present of the surveillance course. In the play, Endymion is in love with Cynthia, a queen, and is known in Greek mythology as Selene, Goddess of the Moon. However, Cynthia is unattainable to Endymion and which he regrets, in much the same way, Strike feels safer making Robin seem unattainable due to her relationship with Matthew.

In 'Career of Evil' Chapter 40's quote is from the Blue Oyster Cult's song "Searchin' for Celine' and this is the point at which Strike struggles with his disappointment that Robin has reconciled with Matthew.

So there does seem to be a parallel between Cormoran and Robin and these two mythological lovers.

The character of Tellus (Charlotte?), a goddess of earth, loves Endymion and is jealous of his feelings for Cynthia, in an act of vengeance she bewitches him so he will love Tellus and so weakening his love for Cynthia. Strike does say Charlotte has an appetite for revenge.

Also, Endymion says that the moon represents change and Robin is certainly on a path of transformation.

In mythology Selene and Endymion fall in love. Whereas in the play Endymion tells Cynthia that he feels the most affection for her but not romantically. If this continues to be a source of Strike and Robin's relationship, all signs point towards the ending of the myth.

02/01/2018 - 11:46 am

Posted by irnbrugirl66 in the topic "Why did Strike go to Robin's wedding!

Thanks, guys! However, the post also points out the exact same problem, that I've been having trouble with in adapting it to the Cormoran/Robin situation:

So, JKR could have easily used other sources to quote the Endymion/Selene-myth, because there are plenty to choose from: Ovid, Pausanias, Appolodor, Sappho, Hesiod.... (some sources even describe Endymion as being the son of Zeus, which would perfectly fit the Strike/Pollux-metaphor)

Most of these narrative traditions have in common, that Selene falls in love with Endymion, and (an aspect almost ALL of the traditions share) that Endymion falls into eternal sleep.

BUT Jo never uses other traditions, only ever Lyly. And the most important difference in Lyly's version is, that Endymion and Selene don't become involved, and the addition of the envious Tellus who hexes Endymion out of jealousy.

02/01/2018 - 1:35 pm

The problem with all this is that Cormoran loves Robin trully for what she is and Matthew an idea of her so I don't see how all this applies to the situation!
Maybe if Cormoran lies to Robin about his feelings in order to not ruin their working relationship and she goes back to Matthew!

02/01/2018 - 1:48 pm

Sorry for the spamming, guys. I have to give a talk tomorrow, so this seems like the perfect time to be procrastinating and researching greek mythology (lol -- but actually arggghh!).

While thinking about LW and its possible connectiong, I found it very interesting, that there are several horse references. Some points have been mentioned already, so please don't be mad for me not referencing properly, I just wanted to bring it all together:

illuminatus said
Someone mentioned horses earlier. The current header picture on JK's Twitter time line is this:

(Death on the Pale Horse, by Benjamin West)

How very interesting...

- Literal Horses (the ones Robin's uncle keeps, which Cormoran might get to see, as he is now in Masham)
- Horses that are associated with Castor/Pollux (Shanker/Cormoran) who steal (actually rape, but that's not the point) the daughters of Leukippos, which literally translates to White Horse
- Four Horsemen of the Apokalypse (Death, War, Famine, and Pestilence)
- The title, referencing "Lethal white syndrome (LWS), also called overo lethal white syndrome (OLWS), lethal white overo (LWO), and overo lethal white foal syndrome (OLWFS), is an autosomal genetic disorder most prevalent in the American Paint Horse."
- The Tottenham, which is now called the Flying Horse, a name which JKR apparently prefers

02/01/2018 - 1:49 pm

It applies, because this thread is dedicated to foreshadowing; and JKR clearly went through a lot of trouble referencing this particular Endymion-myth to mirror Cormoran and Robin.

02/01/2018 - 2:00 pm

I didn't mean to this topic but to the relationship between Robin and Cormoran! It might turn out though they feel things for each other they will never address them? Maybe she used only part of the myth but will give a different end to their story? I wish I knew...
The fact remains though that Matthew's feelings for Robin are based on an idea and Cormoran's are based to Robin's true personality!
Even though Cormoran might lie or hide his true feelings out of fear to destroy their working relationship I don't see why Robin should return to Matthew and not find another man!
Maybe the myth applies only to the story of CoE between those three characters and it's not the final outcome! Maybe Cormoran by not telling how he feels about her didn't give her another option to concider and she went to marry Matthew?

02/01/2018 - 4:42 pm

I don't get how you bring Matthew into the equation. He has literally no mythical counterpart (which is telling in itself), so why would he be part of the Endymion foreshadowing- love triangle?

The Endymion-story would only play out between Endymion (Strike), Cynthia (Robin) and Tellus (Charlotte).
The aforementioned problem, however, concerns whether Lyly's solution to the love between Endymion and Cynthia (no romantic love, but ideal love) will be applied to Strike and Robin.

02/01/2018 - 5:37 pm

I wasn't focuse while I read it so I got confused by this part:

Sorry about that!

02/01/2018 - 6:09 pm

It's a longshot but I'll write it anyway...

In The Silkworm Charlotte (Tellus) wanted something from Cormoran (Endymion) to safe her from her marriage with Jago ( Corsites?) but he didn't do it!
What if now Cormoran (Endymion) stops Robin's (Cynthia's) wedding and the story becomes public? Charlotte will know about it and will get furious that Cormoran did for another woman what she wanted him to do for her! She comes back wanting revenge so she will try to win Cormoran from Robin and in a way to put to sleep the feelings he has for Robin! At first she might succeed and confuse Cormoran about what he trully feels for Robin but then something happens and Robin kisses Cormoran waking him up from Charlottes influence! Cormoran confesses his feelings for Robin and sends Charlotte away and she goes back to Jago who still loves her!