Reactions to the Strike TV series | Page 2 | Discuss Cormoran Strike! | Discuss

Reactions to the Strike TV series
08/30/2017 - 9:39 am

And I wondered what others thought of the idea. I hadn't really noticed anything that closely, only that she appeared more "London savvy' than I would have assumed, seeing as she hadn't been in town all that long. I acknowledge the possible frustrations of some about the altering of certain aspects of the storyline but the only major point I'd question for me is the drunk pub scene, where we must all have been waiting for Strike to reveal his feelings about Charlotte and the intense relationship they shared. This to me is key to Robin understanding the man and helps to shape their relationship. Maybe the writers are holding that back, hopefully.

08/30/2017 - 9:28 am

Many have commented about the music, titles and through the episodes although I found it less intrusive in Ep 2 and in fairness I understand what they're trying to achieve. I've read elsewhere the idea that Robin has been written and portrayed as being more savy and clued up than Strike

08/29/2017 - 10:52 pm

Agree with you all. Love these comments because in the US we are only getting info from Twitter and YouTube. I was surprised at the nice office Strike has. I thought it was small and somewhat shabby. I heard that Strike does not tell Robin about Charlotte's supposed baby, when he is drunk in the pub. That was a key part of the novel. Oh, well, not to complain, it is great that they made this and picked Tom to play Strike

Kim
08/29/2017 - 4:35 pm

Yes, I think they played overly peppy walking-to-work music for Robin in the first episode too! Suddenly feels like you are watching a sit-com or something. I do like the opening theme music though, it has an intimate feel that seems an appropriate nod to the way Robin and Strike's partnership insulates them from the darkness and urban anonymity of their setting. I wish the drunk scene had stuck closer to the original dialogue but Burke and Grainger were great in that scene. Looking forward to next week!

08/29/2017 - 2:06 pm

Thank you for your thoughtful reply! I agree with so much of what you've said.

I love the music that is associated with Lula Landry, especially the theme that plays at the very beginning of episode 1. However, like you, I think some of the music isn't quite right for the scene. And although I love the graphics in the intro, I don't like the show's main theme music. It's a bit country-ish sounding to me (UGH).

I had that exact same reaction to Robin and Matt's flat -- waaaayyyy too nice and modern. Such typical TV set inappropriateness. I always laugh at movies that take place in London and New York in which the main character is an office worker, and they're living in a trendy loft!

The story changes have me lurching here and there, but I'm doing my best to keep the book and the show separate in my mind. It's only expected that lots of cutting and condensing and rearranging has to take place in an adaptation. I'm interested to hear what people who haven't read the books think of the shows.

Alfie Minton
08/29/2017 - 9:02 am

I am really enjoying it so far, it's not ground breaking or decade-defining television like 'Mad Men' or 'Breaking Bad', but there's definitely something there. I think without Burke and Holiday it could of been a complete flop, but they carry the whole thing. The scene in episode two when robin is helping a drunk Strike in his office gave me goosebumps for some reason, I just love their friendship.

I really enjoy the opening credits, but I feel some of the soundtrack is really quite bad, for example when Robin is walking up Strikes office stairs for the first time before she runs into Charlotte, the music there really doesn't fit and took me out of the story. I also really didn't like the casting for Lucy; maybe it was that the actress didn't have much to work with or she wasn't directed very well, but I wasn't convinced about her. However I thought the actress that played Rochelle was fantastic, wish we had more time with her! Strikes office is exactly how I imagined it, but Matt and Robins flat looks a bit too nice, could they really afford that?

Generally the changes to the story are fine and fair, and I'm impressed with the actual adaptation of the plot. I thought for sure they would cut DB Mac (not sure that's the right spelling!) and I wasn't expecting to see Matt so soon. However, I thought Strike revealing the abuse Tansy suffered from Freddy the night of Lulas death could of been a lot better, he just casually says it in a conversation, it should of been a bigger moment. Also the 'do you want a hand job' line from the girl outside the hostal was unnecessary and felt awkward.

All in all, a very good adaptation! I think non-book readers won't be alienated which is one of the most important things when it comes to adaptation. I think if the tone gets a bit darker and grittier for the next two books, and they stop with the plinky plonky music, it could really be something special!

08/29/2017 - 2:28 am

What are your thoughts about the Strike TV series? The adaptation from the book, the castings, the music, the style, anything!