Reactions to the Strike TV series | Discuss Cormoran Strike! | Discuss

Reactions to the Strike TV series
09/29/2017 - 4:51 pm

I really enjoyed The Cuckoo's Calling, but I was a bit disappointed with the Silkworm story.

Too many characters messed around with (Liz Tassel was not at all like portrayed in the novel really), or removed entirely (Nina Lascelles for example), and it all felt a bit rushed. That said, I'm still loving the chemistry between the two leads: they are pretty marvellous. And I think they did a good job casting Leonora and Orlando. It's a bit like the Strike version of what happen to HP and the Order of the Phoenix when that was adapted

So I'm looking forward to Career Of Evil, which I think will be an absolute cracker early in the New Year...

09/26/2017 - 2:03 pm

I was surprised to see that Strike didn't hook up with anybody in the Silkworm (Nina or anybody else) and that he didn't flash out his latin knowlwdge...

die Frau
09/24/2017 - 8:58 pm

While I'm in the U.S., I managed to find some online sites so I could watch the TV adaptation -- I'm way too impatient to wait for HBO to deign us worthy of seeing it who knows when.

I agree overall -- Holly and Tom do a great job of portraying Robin and Cormoran...even though his hair is much nicer than JKR writes it. 🙂 I feel they did a much better job adapting The Cuckoo's Calling than The Silkworm; the latter seemed too rushed, too much compressed together to create a TV plot. Admittedly I'm a stickler for book over show, and I know they have to make adaptations, but I agree that certain plot points still could've been fleshed out more.

- Definitely agree that Robin's driving skills could/should have been showcased differently and a little more referenced as to Strike's reaction and how she acquired them.
- Matt ironing? I don't think so. He came across as too sympathetic, especially in comparison to Robin.
- Finding out the killer seemed too convenient, but perhaps that's because I like a good plot and I didn't feel the TV version demonstrated Strike's thoroughness and intelligence in figuring out the cases.

Probably a few more things to nitpick, but that won't stop me from watching the hell out of the next one (and checking obsessively to see when I can pre-order Lethal White). Basically when my husband and I watch them together, I will fill him in on the missing backstory (as I did for all the Harry Potter movies)!

09/24/2017 - 3:40 am

I too noticed that they paint Matthew in more light colors than in the books! They even made him ironing clothes like WTF???
And when Robin left to go to the party for her work with Cormoran made her look bad!
They also should have left the arrgument he had with Robin that left her sleeping on the sofa!
Also the reason Robin choose to drive Cormoran to Devon made her look bad, in the book there was a serious reason for her doing it!
I don't understand why are they portraying Matthew that way and make Robin look bad! To make a point that she isn't so in love with him and she loves her job more? To make a shock factor about Matthew's cheating in the third book? I wish I knew...

I agree -- both Robin and Cormoran are seemingly painted in a poor light when it comes to their romantic relationships. Both simply seem to prefer their jobs above their partners. Charlotte's lunacy hasn't been made apparent, and Matthew is far too sympathetic at this point.

I have enjoyed the TV series, but I'm having to view it as a separate entity from the books. The TV adaptation is soooo different from the books. So much has been omitted (understandably), but often what is left is changed completely. I'm not sure why the writers would feel that was this necessary. I also wish more episodes could have been devoted to each book. Three, much less two, episodes simply aren't enough. I wonder if I would have even been able to follow the storylines if I hadn't already read the books.

09/24/2017 - 3:31 am

YorkieGirl said

Did I read that the Duke of York is the pub they used for The Tottenham?

09/23/2017 - 9:48 pm

DonnaN said
I wanted to add a few more comments here about the series. I am enjoying them very much and know with adaptations, much will be excluded. That being said, I think the writers and director missed some real gems and the show would have still moved forward with a little more excitement.

1. Robin and Strike in the car scene. They should have followed it more closely to the book with all the excitement of avoiding the accident and the talk in the pub about how she learned to drive professionally.

2. I think if they would have done the above thing, they could have kept Matthew and Robin's argument about her being at the funeral intact. This would have reflected the Matthew we see in the book. They way they rewrote it, made it sound like Matt was a victim and we felt sorry for him. Matt is a very selfish person and self absorbed. He is threatened by Strike and is always showing that insecurity in the book.

3. I think they should have used Robin driving the taxi in the book to take Liz Tassel to the police. They would have also been exciting with that fight scene between them and Al would have been used a little bit more. Strike would have come to Robin's rescue. A perfect way to show his feelings for her.

These are just a few things I thought of from the Silkworm. They really needed one more episode. And with Career of Evil coming us with only two episodes, I worry the same will happen. Nevertheless, I love the theme song. Such a lovely song that fits Strike and Robin's growing affection for one another. Loving Tom as Strike and Holly as Robin.

As for the taxi scene I totally agree, they should have kept it, it was so poor to make Robin only chase her on the street and Cormoran trying to run to get to her!
Also they didn't need snow to film an almost accident scene Ι don't know why that also was left out!
For me it would be perfect if they had five episodes for each book and I hope that now they saw that the tv-series had success they will film more episodes for each future book!
Tom Burke and Holliday Grainger are perfect for their roles and together they have an amazing chemistry! It's a pleasure to watch them act!

09/23/2017 - 6:40 pm

Leelsa
09/14/2017 - 12:05 am

Does anyone know the score/track used for the opening and closing scenes of the first Silkworm episode? find it compelling and am desperate to know! thank you@

09/13/2017 - 3:58 pm

I absolutely love the TV series. I'm becoming obsessed with it! I used to work in the Tottenham Court Road/Charing Cross Road area, and it's great to see the actual locations used (saw my favourite pub, the Duke of York, in episode 4). I also love the fact that the series involves people walking or using public transport - sounds silly, but it does give a pace to the episode not having everything based round leaping into a car.

I've read and enjoyed all three books, and think the characters work well on TV.

I've been wondering when we can expect the series to be available on DVD/to download, and why the title song by Beth Rowley isn't available - absolutely compelling performance.

09/12/2017 - 4:57 pm

benedek...I couldn't tell if she stuck around when he got that phonecall about the police arresting someone, she probably got scared! The series is so different from the book, who knows? Did not like that scene with him hugging Charlotte, grrrrr

09/12/2017 - 1:50 pm

I suspect that Strike will hook up with the girl in the last scene in the series instead of Nina. She'll realize that he is the famous one legged detective who solved the Lula Landry case and turn back, blabla....
Nina's backstory was too complicated and was no time for it in the two parts but the necessary number of affairs just have to be there...

09/11/2017 - 7:53 pm

Why would they change the "eat your burger" line? The line is famous (iconic) for this book. I was hoping they would show Strike's hookup with Nina L. Love this series, but, it is too different from the book. Robin and Matthew were arguing and she was lieing to him by this point in the book. She is still very loving.

Alfie Minton
09/10/2017 - 9:10 pm

Oh dear... The Silkworm... the only scenes I enjoyed were the ones between Strike and Robin. It was really bad TV. Such a shame. I was watching with non-book readers and they had no idea what was happening and who was who. They definitely needed more than 2 episodes. The actor playing Liz was really bad. I'm getting worried for Career of Evil! I wish JK had said no to BBC and let us have a full series for each novel on Netflix, would of been so much better! 🙁

09/06/2017 - 7:58 pm

Trish said
Just a quick question and this may not be the right place but I just found you and I wondered if any of you knew why in the book Strike is missing his right leg and on TV it's his left? Any thoughts?

My guess is that they found a body double who was missing his left leg...

Trish
09/06/2017 - 5:13 pm

09/03/2017 - 2:46 pm

I am enjoying the show every much. I think the adaptation is moving it along very well. Tom and Holly are really doing the characters justice. I love the theme song, it really reflects the relationship between Strike and Robin and taking into account their past.

There is a picture of Strike and Robin all dressed up. I believe they put Robin into Nina's character in Silkworm at the party. I understand that not all the characters in the books will be in the series because it would drag the plot too much for television or in a major motion film.

Ohhh, a major motion film.....sorry, drifting a little.

08/30/2017 - 10:38 pm

I thought peeing in the cup was gross. What happened to the grubby little bathroom out in the hall? I will have to wonder if they show Cormorans upstairs flat as really nice. Hope they don't change too much of the books.

Love strike and robi
08/30/2017 - 5:32 pm

Personally, I loved Tom Burke and Holiday Granger in the roles and I didn't mind the changes to the plot. Obviously they had to condense it for television, however, I felt the scene where the peed in the cup was totally out of character for Strike and even if you accept that, there's no way he'd have left it there for Robin to find or chucked it out the window. The strike i. The book is orderly, fastidiously clean and never idle or lazy. It put me off the whole show to be honest 😡

08/30/2017 - 4:53 pm

When show eventually is shown in US, I want to stay positive. They have made some changes from book, some not necessary. Like Cormoran's office, and Robins flat. Hoping they don't change Robin's character too much. She should be portrayed as somewhat unsophisticated for London. This is what BBC did with characters in Poldark. You have to keep the book and TV series separate in your mind, and just enjoy the series.

08/30/2017 - 10:53 am

One last observation- Bristow's reply to the whereabouts if Lula's laptop..

Currently Online: gerri