Reactions to the Strike TV series | Discuss Cormoran Strike! | Discuss

Register Members

Reactions to the Strike TV series
08/29/2017 - 2:28 am

What are your thoughts about the Strike TV series? The adaptation from the book, the castings, the music, the style, anything!

Alfie Minton
08/29/2017 - 9:02 am

I am really enjoying it so far, it's not ground breaking or decade-defining television like 'Mad Men' or 'Breaking Bad', but there's definitely something there. I think without Burke and Holiday it could of been a complete flop, but they carry the whole thing. The scene in episode two when robin is helping a drunk Strike in his office gave me goosebumps for some reason, I just love their friendship.

I really enjoy the opening credits, but I feel some of the soundtrack is really quite bad, for example when Robin is walking up Strikes office stairs for the first time before she runs into Charlotte, the music there really doesn't fit and took me out of the story. I also really didn't like the casting for Lucy; maybe it was that the actress didn't have much to work with or she wasn't directed very well, but I wasn't convinced about her. However I thought the actress that played Rochelle was fantastic, wish we had more time with her! Strikes office is exactly how I imagined it, but Matt and Robins flat looks a bit too nice, could they really afford that?

Generally the changes to the story are fine and fair, and I'm impressed with the actual adaptation of the plot. I thought for sure they would cut DB Mac (not sure that's the right spelling!) and I wasn't expecting to see Matt so soon. However, I thought Strike revealing the abuse Tansy suffered from Freddy the night of Lulas death could of been a lot better, he just casually says it in a conversation, it should of been a bigger moment. Also the 'do you want a hand job' line from the girl outside the hostal was unnecessary and felt awkward.

All in all, a very good adaptation! I think non-book readers won't be alienated which is one of the most important things when it comes to adaptation. I think if the tone gets a bit darker and grittier for the next two books, and they stop with the plinky plonky music, it could really be something special!

08/29/2017 - 2:06 pm

Thank you for your thoughtful reply! I agree with so much of what you've said.

I love the music that is associated with Lula Landry, especially the theme that plays at the very beginning of episode 1. However, like you, I think some of the music isn't quite right for the scene. And although I love the graphics in the intro, I don't like the show's main theme music. It's a bit country-ish sounding to me (UGH).

I had that exact same reaction to Robin and Matt's flat -- waaaayyyy too nice and modern. Such typical TV set inappropriateness. I always laugh at movies that take place in London and New York in which the main character is an office worker, and they're living in a trendy loft!

The story changes have me lurching here and there, but I'm doing my best to keep the book and the show separate in my mind. It's only expected that lots of cutting and condensing and rearranging has to take place in an adaptation. I'm interested to hear what people who haven't read the books think of the shows.

Kim
08/29/2017 - 4:35 pm

Yes, I think they played overly peppy walking-to-work music for Robin in the first episode too! Suddenly feels like you are watching a sit-com or something. I do like the opening theme music though, it has an intimate feel that seems an appropriate nod to the way Robin and Strike's partnership insulates them from the darkness and urban anonymity of their setting. I wish the drunk scene had stuck closer to the original dialogue but Burke and Grainger were great in that scene. Looking forward to next week!

08/29/2017 - 10:52 pm

Agree with you all. Love these comments because in the US we are only getting info from Twitter and YouTube. I was surprised at the nice office Strike has. I thought it was small and somewhat shabby. I heard that Strike does not tell Robin about Charlotte's supposed baby, when he is drunk in the pub. That was a key part of the novel. Oh, well, not to complain, it is great that they made this and picked Tom to play Strike

08/30/2017 - 9:28 am

Many have commented about the music, titles and through the episodes although I found it less intrusive in Ep 2 and in fairness I understand what they're trying to achieve. I've read elsewhere the idea that Robin has been written and portrayed as being more savy and clued up than Strike

08/30/2017 - 9:39 am

And I wondered what others thought of the idea. I hadn't really noticed anything that closely, only that she appeared more "London savvy' than I would have assumed, seeing as she hadn't been in town all that long. I acknowledge the possible frustrations of some about the altering of certain aspects of the storyline but the only major point I'd question for me is the drunk pub scene, where we must all have been waiting for Strike to reveal his feelings about Charlotte and the intense relationship they shared. This to me is key to Robin understanding the man and helps to shape their relationship. Maybe the writers are holding that back, hopefully.

08/30/2017 - 10:53 am

One last observation- Bristow's reply to the whereabouts if Lula's laptop..

08/30/2017 - 4:53 pm

When show eventually is shown in US, I want to stay positive. They have made some changes from book, some not necessary. Like Cormoran's office, and Robins flat. Hoping they don't change Robin's character too much. She should be portrayed as somewhat unsophisticated for London. This is what BBC did with characters in Poldark. You have to keep the book and TV series separate in your mind, and just enjoy the series.

Love strike and robi
08/30/2017 - 5:32 pm

Personally, I loved Tom Burke and Holiday Granger in the roles and I didn't mind the changes to the plot. Obviously they had to condense it for television, however, I felt the scene where the peed in the cup was totally out of character for Strike and even if you accept that, there's no way he'd have left it there for Robin to find or chucked it out the window. The strike i. The book is orderly, fastidiously clean and never idle or lazy. It put me off the whole show to be honest 😡

08/30/2017 - 10:38 pm

I thought peeing in the cup was gross. What happened to the grubby little bathroom out in the hall? I will have to wonder if they show Cormorans upstairs flat as really nice. Hope they don't change too much of the books.

09/03/2017 - 2:46 pm

I am enjoying the show every much. I think the adaptation is moving it along very well. Tom and Holly are really doing the characters justice. I love the theme song, it really reflects the relationship between Strike and Robin and taking into account their past.

There is a picture of Strike and Robin all dressed up. I believe they put Robin into Nina's character in Silkworm at the party. I understand that not all the characters in the books will be in the series because it would drag the plot too much for television or in a major motion film.

Ohhh, a major motion film.....sorry, drifting a little.

Trish
09/06/2017 - 5:13 pm

Just a quick question and this may not be the right place but I just found you and I wondered if any of you knew why in the book Strike is missing his right leg and on TV it's his left? Any thoughts?

09/06/2017 - 7:58 pm

Trish said

My guess is that they found a body double who was missing his left leg...

Alfie Minton
09/10/2017 - 9:10 pm

Oh dear... The Silkworm... the only scenes I enjoyed were the ones between Strike and Robin. It was really bad TV. Such a shame. I was watching with non-book readers and they had no idea what was happening and who was who. They definitely needed more than 2 episodes. The actor playing Liz was really bad. I'm getting worried for Career of Evil! I wish JK had said no to BBC and let us have a full series for each novel on Netflix, would of been so much better! 🙁

09/11/2017 - 7:53 pm

Why would they change the "eat your burger" line? The line is famous (iconic) for this book. I was hoping they would show Strike's hookup with Nina L. Love this series, but, it is too different from the book. Robin and Matthew were arguing and she was lieing to him by this point in the book. She is still very loving.

09/12/2017 - 1:50 pm

I suspect that Strike will hook up with the girl in the last scene in the series instead of Nina. She'll realize that he is the famous one legged detective who solved the Lula Landry case and turn back, blabla....
Nina's backstory was too complicated and was no time for it in the two parts but the necessary number of affairs just have to be there...

09/12/2017 - 4:57 pm

benedek...I couldn't tell if she stuck around when he got that phonecall about the police arresting someone, she probably got scared! The series is so different from the book, who knows? Did not like that scene with him hugging Charlotte, grrrrr

09/13/2017 - 3:58 pm

I absolutely love the TV series. I'm becoming obsessed with it! I used to work in the Tottenham Court Road/Charing Cross Road area, and it's great to see the actual locations used (saw my favourite pub, the Duke of York, in episode 4). I also love the fact that the series involves people walking or using public transport - sounds silly, but it does give a pace to the episode not having everything based round leaping into a car.

I've read and enjoyed all three books, and think the characters work well on TV.

I've been wondering when we can expect the series to be available on DVD/to download, and why the title song by Beth Rowley isn't available - absolutely compelling performance.

Leelsa
09/14/2017 - 12:05 am

Does anyone know the score/track used for the opening and closing scenes of the first Silkworm episode? find it compelling and am desperate to know! thank you@