Lets talk about Matthew for a change... | Page 3 | Discuss Cormoran Strike! | Discuss

Register Members

Lets talk about Matthew for a change...
01/24/2018 - 7:06 pm

Leafling said
I wonder if JKR wants to explore the "world" of an unsuccesfull marrige like her first one, to inspire woman that there is still hope, and women don't have to subject themselves to one if it doesn't work out. That you can have a happy life and a successful career after an unhappy marriage?

I think you might be right. This is the only thing that will stand between our ideal beginng of LW (aka the ruined ceremony), and a probable outcome what was forshadowed by Robin herself in CoE/42:

"I was only going to say that abused people cling to their abusers, don't they? They've been brainwashed to think there's no alternative."

On the other hand, Robin has already experienced what an alternative could be like (for like a year and a half!), so maybe she might realise the abusive nature of her and Matt's relationship and leave him on the spot.

01/24/2018 - 7:14 pm

I hope this will be the case, but this is still a 50/50 chance. Robin can be strong, but she is still so insecure when it comes to her relationship with Matthew.

The other senario I would love to read is the one where Sarah Shedlock stops the weddin ( but sadly this is ore like a fanfiction senario) ! She also has reason to stop the wedding, and Cormoran's appearance might just give her the push she needs to act on it. I think she is obsessed with Matthew, why else would she still be around him after all those years and constantly enduring being the second choice, the placeholder. She is trying to break M & R up for even before the affair. She dated M for over 18 months and she kept mentioning all the good times they had together while Robin was at home every chance she got. The boyfriends and double dates are just to make M jealous. Imagine how much resentment she must feel toward Robin and Strikes presence combined with Matts stony face might just make her snap and do something to ruin the wedding. This would also resolve the situation without any of the other three character having to act on it.

01/24/2018 - 7:24 pm

Leafling said

You know what? I would love it to be Robin the one that will end things for good and if at the altar even better buuuut I'm so desparete right now for her to not get married in LW that even if the fairy godmother herself stops the wedding I would be perfeclty alright with it! 🙂

01/24/2018 - 7:37 pm

Yes, Robin ending it would be great for her character development, but I will also take what I can get.

01/24/2018 - 7:44 pm

Leafling said

I wonder if JK Rowling knows how desperate she has made us about knowing what will Robin do or what will happen in Robin's wedding after her "I do"

Maybe the pastor himself after seeing Robin's reaction will ask "my dear child are you sure the man you wish to marry is the one standing by your side?" Ok I know that's to much but desperate times bring desperate ideas!

01/24/2018 - 8:00 pm

JK Rowling is a smart woman, I think she is aware of what she is doing to her fans, but being involved in so many projects at the same time, and taking time away for her family must be exhausting. She said as much in the acknowledgments in CoE . The fact that now it is public knowledge that she is Robert G. just ads to the pressure.

This would be so funny! Also, there are so many ways this can go. There is also Robin's mother Linda, her parents stayed out of her relationship so far, but CoE prooved that Linda can be just as stubborn and might just speak her mind. How knows?

01/24/2018 - 8:14 pm

Leafling said

We made so very good scenarios as to how the story can continue that I'm gonna be really disappointed if she gets married after all!
OMG I'm gonna feel like I'm back in the PLL fandom where fans made such great theories and the scriptwiters just made a mess in each season finale!
I know that J.K Rowling is an amazing writer but after waiting for so long for the fourth book I just really want it to start with something really good!

01/24/2018 - 8:25 pm

I know the feeling, the last time I was this invested in a fictional crime-solving duo was with the Millenium trilogy, and I found this series after the publication of the 4th book written by a different author. I enjoyed all 4 books (1st and 4th being the most enjoyable for me) and I was really looking forward to the 5th book. After 2 years of waiting it came out, last September and t was such a big disappointment that it broke my heart. I will still read book 6 when it comes out, but I'm no longer that excited about it. However I don't see this happening with JKR, she did an amazing job with HP, she won't let her fans down on this.

01/24/2018 - 8:48 pm

Leafling said

I hope you are right! It's really heartbreaking when you invest time to watch or read something and you get disappointed at some point with some development in the storyline!

02/01/2018 - 9:02 am

Since we were starting to talk about Matthew and Robin and Love in the "to be continued"-Thread, I thought we should probably continue the discussion here, so as not to overly confuse anyone 😀

So, just to repeat the positions for practicality:

Generally speaking, I'd agrees with you both. After thinking about it, however, I'm not so sure, that Robin is the kind of person, to go through with it because she is afraid of what everyone is going to think. I feel, that's more like Matthew, worrying about appearances etc.

Robin on the other hand is different. I wager that she would go through with it, because a) she still believes she loves Matthew, and b) marrying Matthew - to her - is somehow an achievement, that links back to the dreams of old Robin. Or, putting it the other way round: For her to STOP the wedding she would need to seriously analyse her emotional situation - never ONCE crying about Matthew while away with Cormoran on their trip up to Barrow, instead showing jealousy whenever he interacts with women on a level that suggests attraction, and only ever displaying sadness, when Cormoran wants to go back because he's meeting Elin - (I mean, Robin, the clues are ALL THERE, just be a effing detective!), and realise that Matthew does NOT love her for who she is.

I agree! Robin's character changed after her abuse and her new character was fitting to Matthew's expectations and so from his part they stayed together! As for Robin because of that change of character and her insecurities she also stayed with him! Both of them love an idea they have for each other and I believe they are getting married because it's the logical follow-up of the path they took!

Leafling said

I would put this more like Matthew doesn't love who Robin is becoming, rather than not loving her.

02/01/2018 - 9:13 am

So, just to repeat the positions for practicality:

Leafling said

Both positions are right somehow: Matthew hates who Robin is becoming AND he does not love her for who she is.
Remember the Chapter 41 of Silkworm where Cormoran muses about Love and what and what how he only knows examples of untrue love, examples of people who only love the IDEA of the other, instead the person they really are; and again (was it in CoE or SW?) where Cormoran thinks something along the lines of "she could never be herself with Matthew, why couldn't she see that".

So, in the end, if you define "true love" as loving the person for who they really are (and Jo has clearly been working towards this realisation), no, Matthew does not really love Robin, and in turn, Robin does not love Matthew.

02/01/2018 - 9:23 am

Yes the tread are king of a mix in regarding the actual topics.

Also regarding Matt and Robin I enjoy coming up with unlikely theories, because I want to be surprised by JKR.

That being said, the reality is that JKR calls Matt her new husband, that was a conscious choice and we will have to keep an open mind regarding this, to avoid disappointment in LW. I'm not a fan of Matthews, but if they are married and stay that way in the 4th book, in the long run, that will help the development of Robin's character and her relationship with Cormoran. I have faith in JKR and she knows what she is doing, her brilliant books are proof of that.

02/01/2018 - 9:25 am

In reality their (Matt and Robins) relationship should have ended long ago. If the rape had not happened Matt might have left her for Sarah or any other girl way back in college.

02/01/2018 - 9:36 am

Leafling said

I agree on that Matthew's and Robin's relationship should have ended way back! They are such different people and want different things from life that without the incident of Robin's abuse they wouldn't last together!
Matthew should have been honest and tell her that he can't cope with what happend and leave her heal alone! What he did was way worse as I see it! Not only he cheated on her while she was at her worst moment but also ridiculed her by keeping his ex? mistress around in Robin's presence!
If the rape didn't took place I see more Robin leaving him. She wouldn't feel gratitude towards him for staying after what happened as she does now, she wouldn't be so insecure about finding another man to be with, Matthew wouldn't represent familiarity to her and she wouldn't have so much tolerance towards his character!

02/01/2018 - 7:25 pm

Leafling said

I also love to be surprised and am ready to go wherever JKR takes us. With a projected 10-book series (!!!) there is plenty of time to develop these rich and complex characters and it would be nice if the personal relationships resolve themselves in the backdrop of the cases they are solving.

02/01/2018 - 7:33 pm

I 100% agree. JKR doesn't write mysteries for the sake of mysteries, just like she didn't write HP just for the sake of the plot! So much is about the characterization. She makes her people real to us in ways that other writers don't, and that is, in my opinion, the real reason we are so drawn to her books. We all get so emotionally invested in the paths her characters will take, how they grow as people! Whether they're perfect or not. She's the master of getting us all to realize the extenuating circumstances of everyone's life. Only JKR could so effectively make us all cry over the fate of someone like Snape, who she had caused us all to hate for years...

Which is why I do agree that the path to our favourite ship will not be as easy as we all hope. Life is rarely that easy, it's never fair. HP taught me that when I was young, it's one of the most consistent themes in her novels. But ultimately, I have no doubt that our heroes will have an ending that will more than make up for their difficult paths getting there 🙂

02/09/2018 - 10:49 pm

I read an interesting comment and I wonder who else might think that Matthew is Robin's true love?

02/10/2018 - 7:30 pm

Well, nothing about their relationship fits what I would consider to be true love. Each of them is annoyed or frustrated by the other far too often; and also we see plenty of times when both Robin and Matthew feel the need to hide what they are doing from each other. Not a very healthy relationship, much less true love.

02/11/2018 - 2:51 am

You are absolutely right and I agree with all you said and that's why I was so surprised to read a comment which claimed that Matthew is Robin's true love!
Yes they are together for many years but that doesn't mean they are each other's true love or that they never meet someone else that they will love more! I also believe that they have misplaced feelings and expectations because of the circumstances they kept this relationship going!

02/12/2018 - 1:31 pm

Matthew is Robin's true love, just about like Charlotte was Cormoran's. So, not at all.
Two sets of people clinging to eachother, for the wrong reasons, _thinking_ it's true love when it's actually utterly misguided, destructive, and abusive.

Rather interesting though how similarly fucked up both relationshiops are..