Lethal White (TV) | Page 3 | Discuss Cormoran Strike! | Discuss

Lethal White (TV)
Lea
09/25/2019 - 1:33 pm

I also pictured Richard Rankin as Sam Barclay and Luke Pasqualino as Raff.

09/24/2019 - 9:43 pm

Isn't it so exciting to see it finally happen and to catch our first glimpse of Cormoran and Robin. Does anyone think it's possible that the opening wedding reception scenes were filmed already at the same time as Career of Evil for continuity or would they be filmed fresh at this production.

Regardless.....we have four heavenly hours to look forward to and enjoy and for me the absolute non negotiable scenes are .. wedding reception debacle but the stairway encounter most of all, hospital tears and kiss, the EARRING..... going to say it again just because I get a buzz out of it LOL ..... the EARRING scene !!!! Woo Hoo !!! Motorway meltdown, ticking off on the barge followed by hug, and takeaway with Isla and Nick. As long as all of that is there, i will be happy. I loved the scenes with Robin undercover in the clothes shop, so hope that features too.

Could we finally see it around May.... is that being too hopeful. Will be counting the days.

Leadinglight
09/23/2019 - 7:07 pm

StMawes said
First photo of Tom & Holliday as Cormoran & Robin in Lethal White 🙂

Aww…so good to see them back together! It’s almost like seeing your friend for the first time in ages - it might be years apart but you carry on from where you last left off!

So…going back to my theory that Robin stays at the youth hostel after walking out on Matt - the photo could point to that. It looks like they're shooting towards the hostel so it would appear on camera. We can also see Robin/Holliday is carrying that holdall bag. It looks the same one she had when running to catch the train at King’s Cross at the end of episode 1 of The Silkworm. The size of it suggests a visit or staying somewhere at least overnight. Not for work or day to day things. And why would she need a holdall for going on surveillance or meeting with Strike? Unfortunately we can not see Holliday’s hand to see if she’s wearing Robin’s wedding ring.

But why is Strike/Tom also there and in the same scene? Two possible scenarios:

1. Strike already knows about Robin’s and Matt’s split and meets her and the Landrover at the hostel before travelling up to the races and the dell. Her bag is full of supplies.

Or

2. This is after their digging adventure and Strike is meeting Robin at the hostel to collect her belongings and take her to Nick & Ilsa’s.

09/23/2019 - 11:31 am

First photo of Tom & Holliday as Cormoran & Robin in Lethal White 🙂

09/21/2019 - 1:55 pm

That is certainly a very plausible theory and it fits in with the character of Robin - her not wanting to bother or ask anyone for favours and thus trying to hide her marriage breakdown. That would also mirror with Strike's actions after Robin and Matthew’s wedding. There has been no mention of Vanessa returning in the press release but it’s still early days.

The fun part will be when Lethal White comes out and we’ll spot these locations and see how close, or far out, our theories are!

Signs for apparent filming were sighted earlier in the week in Bermondsey:

Doing some investigation work, that appears to be the junction on Southwark Park Road onto Reverdy Road. What makes that really interesting is that they were also filming for the new Alex Rider TV series on Reverdy Road a few weeks back. Coincidence? I’d hazard a guess that there is a house there that the homeowner rents out to TV productions. If they did film on Reverdy, and after looking at the houses on Google street view, it could double up as a stand in for Robin & Matthew’s Albury Street home. But then it could also fit in for Della, Lucy/Greg, or even Lorelei.

Leadinglight
09/20/2019 - 4:48 pm

StMawes said

Filmed outside the YHA Thameside on Rotherhithe Street, London. No idea what scene that could be from the book - I haven’t read Lethal White since it was released.

My initial guess with them filming outside a Youth Hostel was that they were doing Strike’s alcoholic bender after Robin’s wedding. But then I thought maybe they’ve altered what’s in Lethal White and they now have Robin going there to stay after she walks out on Matt! I looked on Google maps and that location isn’t actually far from where Robin and Matt’s house is, in the book, on Albury Street. So perhaps Robin doesn’t go to Vanessa’s flat and sleep on her sofa. It would also fit in the time period possibly covered in episode 4, the cover of which we saw tweeted from the read through. Lastly it would also link back to episode 1 of Career of Evil when Robin says to Cormoran “I’ll get a Youth Hostel or a YMCA”. Of course they could just be filming an outdoor scene near the YH and I’m overthinking things!

09/18/2019 - 4:38 pm

Bit more information on Mondays filming:

The letter also seems to confirm that the BBC transmission of Lethal White will be in the Autumn of 2020. I’m going to put my money on it starting on the August bank holiday weekend, Sunday 30th August.

09/18/2019 - 4:36 pm

Leadinglight said
Seconded for additional scenes with Ilsa & Nick. Is it too much to ask for Strike’s BMW to make an appearance? I’m praying that the Land Rover makes a comeback - it already feels like another character of the show.

I pictured Richard Rankin as Barclay but that might be because I’ve been watching Outlander! I’ve seen some people on Tumblr have mentioned Luke Pasqualino as a fit for Raphael.

Paul Butterworth, who plays Robin’s dad, wrote on Instagram recently that he’d been “booked on a big new TV drama for four days”. Could that be Lethal White? In which case it sounds like they are devoting a reasonable amount of time for filming the wedding reception.

Oooh I hope you’re right about the possibility of seeing the 1st footage in the new year! That will tie us over a bit! It might be because Strike was previously filmed in the autumn and winter, and then subsequently broadcasted in those seasons, but I have always felt that Strike suits a autumn/winter slot. So I’ll be quite happy to wait till the later half of 2020 *ducks head* 🙂

I’d be surprised if the BMW features - doesn’t Cormoran just use it for travelling around London? You could get away with filming Cormoran walking the streets or coming out of tube stations. Whereas the Land Rover is used by Cormoran & Robin on their travels out of London to the Uffington White Horse, the racetrack and to the dell. So it is almost a dead cert that it will reappear.

I’m liking the cast announcements although it is interesting why they have only revealed three of them so far. Surely they have to have all the parts cast for the read throughs? Perhaps they will drip feed the remaining casting as filming progresses.

On the “Strike Series - Dream Cast?” thread they’ve talked about Luke Pasqualino as Raphael. I actually agree with the post by riverlynn in that I don’t find him, or have seen him act, menacing or dangerous enough for me to be convinced with him being Raphael.

09/17/2019 - 3:49 pm

Cast announced and confirmed to air in 2020:

Filming started yesterday:

Robert Glennister as Chiswell - can't believe I actually got it right!

No word on who's playing Raphael but it looks like Lorelei will feature.

Leadinglight
09/14/2019 - 11:46 am

09/02/2019 - 10:08 pm

With the adaptation of Lethal White about to start filming, I hope it’s alright in creating a new topic to discuss thoughts, speculation, concerns and hopes for the forthcoming series.

So what are your expectations? What must be kept that was in the book? Are you worried about scenes or characters cut? What should be changed? Ideal cast?

Obviously spoilers from Lethal White from here on!

These are my thoughts:

- With four hours to fill, I hope they don’t rush the key scenes and fail to do them justice by missing out chunks of dialogue from the book. Namely, the wedding, the whole hospital sequence, Robin leaving Matthew, the motorway and racecourse talks, and Robin and Raphael on the houseboat.

- I’ve seen conversations on Tumblr that people were concerned about the wedding being cut right down, or entirely, or viewed as flashbacks. There would be an uproar in any of those instances! My guess would be episode 1 opening with flashback scenes of Billy as a child, followed by the titles, and then opening with the wedding reception. They could probably get away with dedicating 10-20 minutes worth on the wedding. I could see them maybe cutting the fallout in the bridle-suite and the honeymoon period/missed calls though simply to get the plot moving on. Although I’d like to be proven wrong as we’d miss out on the frostiness of Strike & Robins relationship and see them rebuild it through the episodes.

- I really am not a fan of “Wherever You Will Go” by The Calling. If it has to be in, then hopefully the version by Charlene Soraia or a slower, softer version especially composed. Maybe Beth Rowley could do a cover?

- Keeping in the imagery of the swans, especially at the wedding and at the end of the book on the doors of the building. Parted at the beginning, together at the end.

- Will we see a “One year later” title card?

- The previous three series didn’t make it obvious that they were set in 2010 or 2011. We saw car models and reg plates, along with advertisements, from the time they were filming in 2016/17. It would be a bit jarring then to suddenly feature the 2012 Olympics in the background. I reckon they will drop it altogether, or replace it with another sporting event, or a political event.

- They obviously won’t be able to film inside the Houses of Parliament or the Department for Culture, so they will have to find locations with similar interiors. As done in the Bodyguard and the most recent series of Peaky Blinders.

- The return of the green dress done differently - Robin changing and coming out of the office toilet didn’t do it justice! Maybe Strike first sees her wearing it outside the event party and has a similar reaction to the one in Cuckoos Calling.

- Did any of the previous series mention at all that Strike was an awful uncle? I feel we would need to see this or for it to be explicitly mentioned for the scenes at the hospital to be more impactful.

- I haven’t looked at the places where Lethal White could be divided into four but I’d hazard a guess that episode 2 will end with Chiswell being found dead as the cliffhanger.

- Fingers crossed they managed with the script to involve Nick and Ilsa, and Shanker, more within the plot.

- The motorway breakdown/heart to heart scene will probably be altered to a country road for logistical reasons.

- Up the ante of the climax with scenes of Cormoran’s realisation and then the panic and terror when he’s racing to rescue Robin. At the same time winding up the tension between Robin and Raphael and that we actually fear that he will kill her.

- Episode 4 ends with Cormoran, Robin, Nick and Ilsa together on their curry night, happy and enjoying each others company. The three previous series, and books for that matter, seem to end on a ‘life/relationship changing moment’ for Strike & Robin. Cuckoos Calling was Robin offered a full time position; Silkworm - Strike putting Robin on a detective course; Career of Evil - “I do”. The ending to Lethal White felt rushed and a bit low key.

Other things I hope we will see:

- Orange juice!
- Cormoran’s disdain towards Sarah Shadlock.
- Cormoran thinking Robin is pregnant.
- Robin undercover in disguise.
- Cormoran wanting to be a better uncle and saying he wants to take Jack to the Imperial War Museum.
- “Hunger Strike: Car Journeys I Have Starved On”
- Robin keeping the champagne cork.

We will probably hear casting selections soonish but I did picture Robert Glennister as Jasper Chiswell. He played the corrupt Home Secretary during multiple series of Spooks and it would be a nice nod to his brilliant work on the audio books.

As for the filming and broadcast timeline:

Holliday mentioned on the Zoe Ball Breakfast show (Thurs 29th Aug) on BBC Radio 2 that she was starting on Strike this week. That will probably be for the read throughs and fittings and then actual filming starting the following week or the next and finishing before Christmas. I reckon we might actually get the first glimpse of Lethal White when BBC release their “2020 Drama” trailer in the beginning of January.

In terms of the post production period, it’s difficult to know. It could be complete and ready to broadcast by March/April but it then has to fit within the BBC’s plans for the year. It's unlikely to be broadcast whilst the Tokyo Olympics are on during July and August as that takes up the majority of the airtime on BBC1. Possibility is the August bank holiday or early September. Hopefully the BBC won’t hold it in limbo like their latest adaptation of War of the Worlds for the past 1 1/2 years - I think they would only do that if they knew Strike5 was coming out soonish and release it on a similar date to maximise publicity and interest. I just hope they don’t air it over four consecutive nights as it will be over before we know it and we’ll all be back to the waiting game for the next one!