Lethal White (TV) | Discuss Cormoran Strike! | Discuss

Lethal White (TV)
Bryher12
11/12/2019 - 10:22 pm

Love, love Robin's dress!! Hopefully looks like we'll be getting more than just a few flashback scenes.

11/10/2019 - 11:10 pm

Cormoran Strike said
Hi!

Just wanted to pop my head in to say I LOVE all your discussion on here. Some very impressive detective work! We should hire you into the agency...

Apologies for being so quiet on here recently, life just gets in the way sometimes (the detective agency is booming!) Hopefully we'll manage to be more active soon.

Keep doing your thing.

- Bill (Strike)

Learnt from the best, Boss!

I think we all probably would want to say thank you for providing such a brilliant site and space where we can discuss all things Cormoran Strike related. So I think we’ll let you off for your absence and we'll all try to keep things ticking over till your return! Hope Edinburgh is treating you well.

I know it’s been posted on the affiliated Twitter account, and elsewhere, but I’ll add it here in case anyone else has missed it:

So they filmed for one day up by the Uffington White Horse on Friday 1st November, probably before then spending the last week at Dinton Park. Fingers crossed, and because it is less than a mile away from the Horse, they decided to film at The White Horse Inn in Woolstone as well.

11/07/2019 - 7:53 pm

Hi!

Keep doing your thing.

- Bill (Strike)

11/05/2019 - 3:42 pm

Looks like Lethal White will have flashback scenes of Freddie Chiswell, Izzy and Rhiannon Winn+others. Also of Billy Knight as a child where we’ll see what will cause his childhood trauma. It also appears that they are filming all week at Dinton Park and Philipps House in Wiltshire. If you decide to look it up, you should be able to work out what scenes they're filming...

11/02/2019 - 1:19 pm

Flanker27 said
Looking at the pictures that have been posted, has Robin changed her hairstyle post leaving Matthew? The pics on the barge look different?

I, personally, can not spot any differences but then I might have been looking too hard for them. Happy to be proven wrong! Am I right in thinking Holliday is wearing a wig this time round? I’m sure I read somewhere that she was-her hair was definitely shorter when she was doing the publicity for The Capture at the start of September. I do hope they keep in Robin's disguise when she goes undercover in the jewellery shop with Flick.

Going back to your original question, it will be interesting as to whether in Strike5 we’ll see Robin-post divorce-embrace her freedom and change her hairstyle and experiment around with her look.

10/31/2019 - 9:14 pm

Leadinglight
10/30/2019 - 12:16 am

They certainly picked the right time of year for Strike and his coat! Looks cold!

I too was thinking it could be Chiswell's but could it not also be the exterior for Pratt’s club and that was possibly ‘Georgina’ answering the door to Corm & Robin. But then I don’t remember Robin going to Pratt’s in the book.

Wonder if that actress is an extra or one of the main/recurring characters. Could be Izzy if it is Chiswell’s? This far into the filming, I feel like we’re surely due a few more casting announcements!

10/29/2019 - 5:35 pm

Tom & Holliday spotted filming in Fitzroy Square, London today:

View this post on Instagram

Looks like the fantastic STRIKE will be back on our tv .. London is one giant film set.. I stumbled on this on my walk today !🎬 Based on the best-selling novels by Robert Galbraith (aka J.K. Rowling), Tom Burke ("The Musketeers") stars as private detective Cormoran Strike, a former war veteran now working out of a cramped London office. Together with his assistant, Robin Ellacott, Cormoran tackles cases that have, so far, baffled the police. Though struggling with the psychological and physical toll that combat have wrought on him, Cormoran is well-equipped to delve into complex conundrums thanks to his background as a Special Investigation Branch investigator.♥️ . . #londonphotography #londonphotography #cityoflondon #traveller #travelphotos #travellondon🇬🇧 #culturetrip_ldn #culturetriplondon #travelcitiesoftheworld #citylife #londonlife #londoncityliving #streetlife #steetlife_mag #visitlondon#londonwandering #cityoflondon #prettycitylondon #london🇬🇧 #tomburke #londontown #londoncalling #londonmyoyster #suitcasetravels #bbctravel#visitengland🇬🇧 #film #detective #londonfilming #londonfilm #filmmaking #jkrowling

A post shared by Just H... 🐾🇨🇾🍸🇬🇧🏃‍♀️ (@helena_sagey) on

Best guess would be Chiswell's London house.

10/27/2019 - 10:25 pm

Mark Wildish, who is Tom Burke’s leg double, posted on his Instagram that he was filming his first scenes for Lethal White this coming week. Likelihood is that he’ll be shooting scenes of Strike with his prosthetic off in his flat or maybe recovering from the demo at Lorelei’s, given that we know she is appearing in some form in the show. There was also the scene of Strike & Robin at Kinvara’s house after the dell digging.

Fortunately Mark seems to be aware of the Strike fandom so there’s hope that he’ll be able to post some updates.

10/22/2019 - 4:53 pm

Bryher12 said

Some photos of Holliday filming, I assume this evening, in London 😀

Spoilers from the book onwards:

That restaurant does appear in the book, in chapter 58, and is where Robin & Raphael have their meal together whilst she questions him. In the book’s timeline, it is between Robin leaving Matthew and before she and Strike go to the Newbury Racecourse and onto the dell in Woolstone.

That suitcase throws up some questions - it’s the type you’d use for an overnight trip or a few nights away. Not so practical for taking through the undergrowth or to take when digging. The engagement ring is also clearly still present which adds to the mystery. I cannot remember what Robin did with her rings after she left.

Two lines of thought, both of which see the timeline shortened:

1. After the meal, Robin is planning on meeting up with Strike straight after and drive up to Oxfordshire to the dell and they are planning an overnight stay at a hotel (cue Career of Evil vibes).

Or

2. Robin has just walked out on Matthew that same evening, taking her belongings, and was planning to meet Raphael that night anyway. So she’s gone straight to the restaurant, forgotten to take off the rings, or they’re still on for appearances sake. She then later goes on to Vanessa’s or the Youth Hostel we saw in the background of the photo from the first day of filming.

Or they could have rearranged the order of the book and shuffled scenes and character interactions.

10/20/2019 - 7:38 pm

Flanker27 said
Maybe they're halfway through the external shooting but have the studio scenes to do? Makes sense as weather will only get worse

100% agree. We originally thought they were just filming episode 4 to begin with but it turned out quite quickly they were filming across the four episodes, and the amount of sightings certainly suggests they’re doing the majority of the exterior shots now. The second half of filming will probably see them more focused on the Parliament/Whitehall scenes - filmed elsewhere - and reasonable chunk spent at West London Film Studios on the Denmark office set.

ellissam84 said
How can they already be almost half way through filming - I thought it was going right up till Christmas?!! They’re going quicker than I did reading the book!

I think the average time to film a drama episode is 2 weeks for 60 minutes worth. We’re now just over a month into filming the four episodes so it sounds about right they’re half way through. Going on that schedule it looks like they will could finish by the end of November/early December. Might not be the case as every production is unique. Tom was recently cast as Orson Welles in Netflix’s film “Mank” and production is slated to begin in Los Angeles in November, so he might be needed for that quite sharpish.

ellissam84 said

They might still dye Glenister’s hair blonde! Hopefully not… I think if they had stuck to the Chiswell in the book and got an actor in who looked and acted the part similar to Boris Johnson, you’d have been asking for trouble. In this case I think they got the casting decision right in not sticking to the source material.

I think it would be hard to remove, or tone down, the political aspect of the book without then upsetting the fans or unravelling multiple plot threads, so you’ll upset someone whatever you do.

10/20/2019 - 12:18 pm

ellissam84
10/20/2019 - 10:26 am

Ditto with what’s already been said about what should be included in the series. I’m actually curious at how similar, or different, Robert Glenister’s performance will be to his Chiswell in the audio book. He obviously has a bit more creative freedom in portraying Chiswell in the series than reading what’s in the book. I’m at least confident that they won’t put him in a Boris Johnson style wig - I don’t think I could take his character seriously! I do worry though that given the political themes in Lethal White, we could see a backlash, from either side of the political spectrum, mainly from those who haven’t read the book. Either in the tabloid press or the twitter mob. We sadly seem to live in a world where people get instantly offended by someone with the opposite view even if it’s in a fictional TV show!

Leadinglight
10/19/2019 - 8:10 pm

Thanks for sharing that! I’ve read Lethal White multiple times and I have no idea where this fits in the book! They’ve either taken a scene and moved it to a different location or this is something entirely new. No complaints - gives us something unknown to look forward too and it might even improve Lethal White!

Leadinglight
10/16/2019 - 9:50 am

I was getting used to the idea of them moving the charity event to a country house setting! It does look like the confrontation with the activists at the barriers will happen closer to the event than in the book, so maybe Strike doesn’t see Robin in her dress until they’re inside and its a bigger reveal? The old romantic in me hopes so anyway! They definitely do seem to be ticking off the big juicy scenes first and perhaps focusing on interior shots - the office and parliament scenes- later on in the shoot when the weather is expected to be less kind.

10/13/2019 - 6:18 pm

FILMING UPDATE:

From yesterday:

There is also a video on Instagram which suggests they were filming the scene of the protesters outside the Paralympics Charity event. Also believed to be filming there today.

The building in the background is The Athenaeum, a private members’ club on Waterloo Place, London. So it looks like the exteriors will be shot here and the interiors will probably be the ones they shot at Wrotham Park last week.

10/12/2019 - 4:26 pm

FILMING UPDATE:

Tom Burke seen filming at Waterloo Place in London earlier today. Looks a tad wet.

Turns out that they've closed down that end of the street for the whole day and till midnight tonight. Architecture fits in with Whitehall so the scene could possibly be Chiswell related.

If you actually turn and face the opposite direction to where they're filming, you'd be facing 10 Carlton House Terrace. Sherlock fans will know it as being used as the Diogenes Club, the Gentlemans club that Mycroft visits. Perhaps it is doubling up this time in Strike as Pratts Club Or Chiswell's Ebury Street house.

10/09/2019 - 4:27 pm

FILMING UPDATE

Filming today at Wrotham Park in Hertfordshire:

The mention of wheelchair users perhaps suggests it is the backdrop to the Paralympics charity event where Robin wears the green dress again & Cormoran is confronted with Charlotte.

Lancaster House in London was the original location in the book.

Bryher12 said
All this talk of them filming the wedding makes me wish they’d include a scene of Robin & Corm dancing… 😉 But then the impact and significance of Robin walking out of her 1st dance would be lost! And we wouldn't get the hug!

Don’t rule it out! The producers are known to be fans of the Cormoran/Robin dynamic and they have added extra scenes not in the books such as the draping of the coats over one another and the toffee exchange in the Land Rover. I think it’s unlikely and I think JKR may have a dance for them saved for a later book. Maybe if one of Robin’s brothers gets married or Vanessa.

For it to possibly work in adaptation of Lethal White, I think you could have Robin & Matt having their dance and almost reaching the end of the song before Robin spots Strike leaving. She catches, then drags him onto the dance floor just as the 2nd song starts, forcing them to then dance together, and then have the same conversation as the book and ending in a hug. Would sort of keep truthful to the book and your wish!