Lethal Let Down! | Page 2 | Discuss Cormoran Strike! | Discuss

Lethal Let Down!
03/06/2018 - 11:44 am

I completely see the point of Caitlin. Rowling did say that the ending was a cliffhanger and the next book will continue right where CoE ended. Really: why would she start the next book on the day of the wedding otherwise?

I have always seen it as a cliffhanger, too. And not only because of the above words of Rowling. (But mainly because of the words of Rowling in the books. I mean: there are simply too many hints that Robin is also in love with Strike.)

My prediction was that either something would happen during the wedding, still in the church or soon after that. I thought that Robin will leave Matthew on the day of the wedding or very soon after that. And I actually still hold on to my prediction. (Except that something would happen in the church, obviously.) If it doesn't happen, I will be just as disappointed as Caitlin. (I'll try to be less disappointed, but will probably be close. 🙂 )

03/06/2018 - 4:35 am

The problem for me is that when I first read the book I didn't know anything about what she had said in her interviews!
When I read the last page I made the logical conclusion that she indeed is married and the other book will start like the others: after three - four months with married to Matthew and back working with Cormoran since that's what she like to do!
But then I read she is starting the book the moment it ended and it's concidered a cliffhanger so I asked myself why is that? Why start that very same moment if there's nothing more happening? So I found some things that might go down and would be way more interesting than the continuation Rowling decided to give!
For me the cliffhanger if there is one at all of course isn't about how Cormoran will convince Robin go back to work with him, her reaction to his presence was confirmation enough!
And it's so pointless to start her next book with the same way the tv-show ended because I don't believe anyone is interested to read more about the ceremony and how Robin left the church being married to Matthew! And I don't bloody know why we would need a flashback about it either!
Well done for you for not believing the cliffhanger wasn't about the wedding but if it's not then there isn't one at all! It's not about the case either since no killer is aproaching the place and if I'm mistaken again and it's about the talk between Robin and Cormoran and work it's such a lame one!
But I'm done with this serie! She can add as much drama she likes, she can make another Jane Eyre 10 parter drama out of her serie for all I care!

03/05/2018 - 10:43 pm

cormorans said

spotlessmimd: YES!! i like you, whoever you are ♥

Aww, thanks! Just a big fan who is dying to read more and see more ASAP!

03/05/2018 - 7:51 pm

Aaaagggh! I am in America and not able to see this episode....so can someone please tell me what happened at the very end that was so disappointing to several members?

Like a few others on here, I never for a moment thought that the wedding would suddenly be halted by Robin or Matthew or Cormoran, or that the wedding itself was the cliffhanger. I stated before that I think the cliffhanger is that Robin and Cormoran are "estranged" and that needs to be resolved somehow. Anyway, I am still very excited to read Lethal White.

spotlessmimd: YES!! i like you, whoever you are ♥

03/05/2018 - 7:14 pm

I saw the cliffhanger more about Robin than Strike and what was going on with her, they cut down a lot on the days leading up to the wedding so we still don't know whether Robin knows about the blocked calls, although the show leads us to believe not.

We only have them walking down the isle not what happens after. I never doubted they were really married, and this was the authors way of confirming yes they really are married. I hav'nt re watched the scene yet though as I want to get a good look at the actors emotions.

I feel the tv show botched up a lot with this second part to fit everything in, although they know more than us when it comes to that final scene. I'm slightly disappointed of course but I feel people are over reacting.

03/05/2018 - 6:53 pm

Simply that they are married, and when Robin walks out of the church on Matthew's arm, she and Cormoran (sort of sheepishly) smirk at each other. I liked it.

03/05/2018 - 6:21 pm

03/05/2018 - 4:00 pm

Agreed. It was an achievement to cram this book in two episodes and they did a great job at that.

03/05/2018 - 3:48 pm

cormorans said

I totally agree! But what was done with the limited time available was, in my opinion, pure gold.

03/05/2018 - 3:41 pm

You are more than likely right, it is probably about the last episode of the TV series. The reason I mentioned the book was because I didn't understand people's surprise at seeing Robin marry Matthew since it is written black on white in the book that she says 'I do.'
The episode is good and I hope you enjoy it. I felt, but I'm not the only one, that it was rushed and that the book deserved a more thorough adaptations in 3 or 4 episodes though. Still, Tom and Holliday (and the rest of the cast) were great 🙂

03/05/2018 - 3:32 pm

cormorans said

Oh, I thought this topic was about how the last episode of the TV series might change the predictions we made up to now based on the books only. Because the script was probably approved by Rowling. Some heard that she even showed the director the first chapter of Lethal White.

But, as I said, I didn't have the chance to watch it yet, so I should better wait before I go into assumptions. 🙂 I only saw two GIFs on twitter. These:

03/05/2018 - 3:00 pm

Why did he come?
Because he was invited and considers Robin a friend. He cares for her. I think he also wants to explain what went down.
He was resting his head against the church door yes (that is not in the book but i'm happy to talk about it) I imagine he is nervous, worried, out of breath, riling with a LOT of emotions after what went down in a short amount of time. Besides, he and Robin didn't part on good terms, the last time they saw each other they were angry and emotional and upset.
Strike is there for a lot of reasons. Making a scene and telling her in front of the guests: hey don't marry that dick isn't his intention. I don't think Rowling left him stupidly at the scene.
There is a lot to expect from Lethal White in terms of further development.

03/05/2018 - 12:29 pm

cormorans said

So why did he come then?

Unfortunately I haven't seen the last episode yet, but is it right that he was banging his head to the church's door and looked disappointed?

Will Rowling leave her (our) hero so stupidly at the scene?

I still think that they'll talk after the wedding and Robin won't go to her honeymoon. (But at least she and Matthew won't come back as a couple.)

03/05/2018 - 12:12 pm

We still don't know what happens once Robin and Matthew are out of the church. The fact that Matthew blocked Cormoran's number (and deleted the voicemail and call history, which sadly was left out in the series, but so much worse than only blocking the number) will come up the moment Robin talks to Strike. I still don't think the marriage will be annulled, but I expect the first cracks to appear in the first chapters.

03/05/2018 - 12:08 pm

When I read CoE, I wasn't aware of Rowling's comment. I finished it and knew Robin married Matthew. This isn't a telenovela: Strike isn't going to say anything, he didn't come to crash the wedding (especially after Robin agreeing and saying 'I do') and Robin (as we know and love her) isn't someone who will say 'I do' and then go 'wait actually, I don't'. Matthew isn't going to say 'I don't.' Worst case scenario (or best i suppose) is Matthew making a scene being Strike showed up (but then again, he was invited so...)
They are married. The book ends with Robin marrying him.
The cliffhanger may be about Robin being rehired / the whole Matthew deleting Strike's voicemail.
But we aren't reading a soap opera so the wedding isn't going to go all tits up. I would have been willing to imagine it if Robin hadn't said her vows. But she has.

03/05/2018 - 11:53 am

cormorans said
Robin said 'I do' in the book. She marries Matthew in the book. The second episode gave nothing away.
I don't understand how and why it is shocking.

Because she said she left CoE in a cliffhanger and any person with a little bit of imagination that acutally works and isn't switched off would imagine that something would happen in the ceremony!
The cliffhanger couldn't be for the case since it's solved so the only thing remaining was the wedding scene! Also she said that she will continue her next book right where the other ended to not leave the readers waiting for a flashback but I can't see a problem why she couldn't start as usual with three months later and state that Robin's life as a married woman etc...
If she would let things be and don't mention a cliffhanger I would make the logical conclusion that she indeed got married and would wait for the next case without speculation about "does something happen after Robin's I do?"

03/05/2018 - 11:19 am

I don't understand how and why it is shocking.

03/05/2018 - 11:05 am

Yeah. That was dissapointing. I feel it's the epilogue debacle all over again.

And to be honest, the most dissapointing thing - at least to me - is that Robin did not have a moment of empowerment. We all know she will be leaving Matthew, but I can not believe that she would be so easily manipulated. I really hate that about the TV adaptation the most: it never quite captures how abusive matt is, nor how Cormoran-Robin and Matthew-Robin are almost two different people.

The best I can do to describe how I feel about Lethal White and to be honest about all Strike novels to come is only a quote:
"Frankly my dear I don't give a damn!" (Gone with the wind style)

03/05/2018 - 7:27 am

I shared so many things with you so why not that too!

I can't believe that the serie gave us how Lethal White is going to start! First of all it's unfair to all readers that waited so long for the answer and it was given this way!
Next I feel so stupid for sitting hours speculating what will happen because of the way CoE ended! She could just write another page and end with this!
Such a let down that the story will continue this way! I expected something spectacular and now I know it's nothing like that!
I feel like being in the Prettly Little Liars fandom all over again where the fans made such great theories about the plot and the writers just wrote a bunch of crap!
For me leaving the wedding scene at this point to only continue with it this way is disappointing!
I don't know about you but I lost all my interest in Lethal White! It was nice meeting you all though!

Yeah. That was dissapointing. I feel it's the epilogue debacle all over again.

03/04/2018 - 11:26 pm

I shared so many things with you so why not that too!

StMawes: 40