Lethal Let Down! | Discuss Cormoran Strike! | Discuss

Lethal Let Down!
Telenovela-Rowling
12/26/2019 - 6:55 pm

Not sure where others on the forum are from, but I'm in America, where every day the news is full of anger and divisiveness, fed in large part by the angry racist who occupies our presidency. When I visit this forum, it's because I enjoy the Strike books and the TV series and find it interesting to share thoughts with others who feel the same. It's nice to escape the awful news here and immerse myself in something that brings me joy.

So, I wish you Merry Christmas, Telenovela (or possibly Caitlin). I mean no ill will to you -- I just don't understand why you spend time on the forum of a series written by an author that you seem to hate so much. I'd rather spend time on things that I feel deserve it and that make me feel happy. Life is short. I've survived cancer twice, and every moment is a gift. I hope that you find joy.

Hello!
Despite what you might think I didn't write my comment with anger! It was just an observation and what I received from the story. The girl that said that such things could never happen at a wedding ceremony because Rowling isn't writing a telenovela was wrong in my opinion because the things she wrote were much worse and I wanted to comment about it! I was curious if she continues to believe in her statement!

Despite what you might believe I don't force myself to read things I don't like but sometimes I come across stories that aren't to my liking so I stop reading them and as I mentioned before I just enter this forum to see if there's anything new about the tv-series because I might continue watching because of Tom Burke mostly!

I don't really know what you wanted from me after insulting the way I express myself but it doesn't really matter! I only blame myself because I know how negative comments are welcomed from her fans in many social platforms... Many times I've voiced a negative opinion about something I've read but only Rowling's fandom has such a need to make a fuss out of my opinion. I've read at some point The silent patient and I honestly thought it was such a waste of money to buy this book and such a loss of time reading it and I said why I felt this way in my review but none of Michaelides's fans who adore his book came to defend his writing or insult me for what I didn't like in his story.

It's good that you survived your health problems and I hope for the best for you but you can't just comment about me since you really don't know anything about me except that I didn't enjoy reading Lethal White and that I find Rowling's writing childish at some points and her characters not mature.
My name is Alice by the way if you want to adress me with something else than the guest name I picked.
Not that I really plan on commenting again since only comments that agree with how amazing Rowling and her writing is are appreciated! Guess not everyone is fan of constructive criticism!

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all!

12/24/2019 - 9:24 pm

Telenovela-Rowling
12/24/2019 - 8:13 am

Hi Kaqu, my thoughts exactly! The extreme negativity regarding the Strike/Robin relationship gives her away. I wasn't sure if anyone else remembered Caitlin's angry tirades, but, clearly, I was not alone.

Oh I see how it works...
Kaqu has an idea but only Spotlessmind agrees with her SO Kaqu and Spotlessmind are the same person with two accounts in the forum.

You clearly want to insult me even more because Rowling's fans have no other way of conversing with a person with different opinions than theirs!
And I thought I couldn't feel more sorry for your kind but it seems I can!
Grow up please and try to have Happy Holidays!

12/23/2019 - 9:01 pm

Kaqu said
I'm pretty sure that 'Telenovela-Rowling' is Caitlin, the one who started this topic and who was – for very personal reasons, I'm sure – deeply disappointed by Lethal White. You can tell by the many exclamation marks.
I do hope, Caitlin, that you're not going to troll this forum again like you did last time.You hate JK Rowling, we get it. Now carry on.

Telenovela-Rowling
12/23/2019 - 11:40 am

Kaqu said

What's wrong with you people? One occuses me of writing like a 12-year old which shouldn't be a problem because she read a whole book about persons behaving like 10-year olds and the other of being the person who started this topic!
If I was this Caitlin person I wouldn't do something to give my identity away since I don't think someone can be so stupid! I like exclamation marks, I find dots boring is that a crime? And I doubt she or I are the only people in the planet to do so! Yes in The Silkworm they found out something about the author's writing style to prove that he didn't write the manuscript but seriously Kaqu?
You might not believe it but many people don't like Rowling's books! I read sometimes about the series here because I like the actors and their dynamic and how well they portray the characters and the only reason I found the link to this girl's topic was because of a link mentioned in a comment and I was surprised that someone wrote that "this isn't a telenovela since I refer to Rowling like a telenovela writing author! I can see now though that it was a big mistake and I'm truly sorry I've done so!
But kudos since you have a better imanigation than your favourite author does!!!!!!!!!!

12/23/2019 - 8:12 am

Telenovela-Rowling
12/21/2019 - 8:18 pm

Wow, "Telenovela-Rowling," why don't you tell us how you really feel?

Your message reads as though it was written by a 12-year-old. Since you seem to find nothing worthwhile about the Strike books, go read something else. There are plenty of choices.

What I really feel is that your mind isn't that spotless and I really feel sorry for you and other people like you I really am!Fans that follow blindly a celebrity whether it's an actor, singer or author and don't accept nor respect different opinions from their own make me feel really sad!

Yes I may sound like a 12-year old but english isn't my native language so I might on occasion not express myself correctly but what is your excuse for insulting me?

What I wanted to point out is that a 90% of the Strike fandom buys the books for the potential of a romantic relationsip between Strike and Robin and not because of the crime plot! I bet they would continue reading even if the murderer was revealed in the first 100 pages!
And yes I believe that if people didn't know that the Strike books were written by her many wouldn't have read them and many would be more objective in their reviews!

But I shouldn't be surprised since I've seen it many times! When someone doesn't praise her writing and points what he didn't like in Rowling's books that someone gets insulted by her followers! As I use to say "Every leader has the followers he deserves!"

I usually don't give up on a series with the first book! I usually wait and give a chance to the author to find his pace and style until the third book and then make the decision if I'll continue reading or not. I made an exception with Lethal White because I wanted to see how Rowling would handle the situation she created in Career of Evil and I didn't like it so I'll stop reading from now on!

Next time please if you have a logical argument to my points of view feel free to share it but there's no need to find another flaw to my writing style or personality to defend your favourite author and her work! You should know that it's not an effective way!

12/21/2019 - 6:32 pm

Telenovela-Rowling said

I wonder why many bother to describe her books as crime novels since it's drama, drama and more drama and since her crime cases are borderline to boring she lures her fans in with a will they won't they relationship!
also can't stop laughing at her hardcore fans that believe that everything she writes is a masterpiece and praise her writing on character development! There isn't any character development just some moments that make her fans happy! Like a kiss and a divorce that brings the characters more close to what many want to happen between Strike and Robin!

Wow, "Telenovela-Rowling," why don't you tell us how you really feel?

Telenovela-Rowling
12/20/2019 - 11:18 am

cormorans said
When I read CoE, I wasn't aware of Rowling's comment. I finished it and knew Robin married Matthew. This isn't a telenovela: Strike isn't going to say anything, he didn't come to crash the wedding (especially after Robin agreeing and saying 'I do') and Robin (as we know and love her) isn't someone who will say 'I do' and then go 'wait actually, I don't'. Matthew isn't going to say 'I don't.' Worst case scenario (or best i suppose) is Matthew making a scene being Strike showed up (but then again, he was invited so...)
They are married. The book ends with Robin marrying him.
The cliffhanger may be about Robin being rehired / the whole Matthew deleting Strike's voicemail.
But we aren't reading a soap opera so the wedding isn't going to go all tits up. I would have been willing to imagine it if Robin hadn't said her vows. But she has.

Since my first comment wasn't published I don't know why... I'll try again and see what happens...!
First of all are you sure she isn't wrting a telenovela? I have watched many and Lethal White is not only close enough but beyond that!
Many times in a telenovela the good guy that is in love with the a good girl is forced to marry someone else and when he reaches the point to ask for a divorce the wife is involved in a tragedy and he is staying with her out of pitty let's see Lethal White...
Robin is about to leave Matthew and oh! surprise, surprise he got sick and she is staying with him but it's not only that!
Strike still dates women without any emotional investment and ends up hurting them! Also he loses his balance when his ex is around! He should know that being single isn't a disease and a man can survive it! Also there are many ways to go through a heartbreak than srewing around!
Robin is complaining about everybody and how their actions had brought her to the point she is now but she has herself to blame for it! She should know that there is no need for another man to take you away from your current one you can just go by yourself!
She didn't grow she just got cheated again by Matthew because in their one year of marriage they both treated each other like shit! Wonder how much longer she would have stayed if he didn't cheat again, propably for ever?
What can I say about Matt...? He has a wife that he doesn't want or thinks he wants but because of his ego is letting her make a fool out of him and then treats her badly because of it!
I don't even want to mention Strike and Robin that are like two stupid children that behave badly to each other because they don't talk and just make assumptions the one about the other!
Hurray for the mature adult people she writes about! Personally I can't relate to none!
During Lethal White what I learned is:
Rowling's political views in more detail!
It is ok for a woman to have sex with her husband to just make him shut up! I don't say that it doesn't happen and is realistic but she is a woman and should write that it's ok not to! Especially for a woman that knows how it is to have your body used like that!
And if I'm right how Rowling's first marriage was like!
Really if I wanted to know about her life I would have bought a biography and not her book!
After four books I still don't know what Robin is...
Is she the woman that doesn't give a shit about her fiance/husband and does as she pleases or is she a poor victim of an abusive fiance/husband! Once I believed in the second option but not anymore! She is just insecure and goes along with what is more easy to do!
In my opinion Robin and Matt are two people that are bad for each other and one brings the worst out of the other!
As for the crime case it was predictable and lost in the many drama of her main characters! She should honestly just continue writing about young adults and wizards!
In conclusion she not only writes telenovelas she writes the bad telenovela kind of the past decades because the new ones are more intersting than Lethal White!
I really wished she mantained her pseudonym for a longer time because I doubt people would obsess over her crime novels and I bet not half of the people would read them at all if they didn't know they are Rowling's but since her first one was starting to be a flop someone decided he didn't want to lose money and gave it away!

03/23/2018 - 8:21 am

Glyn said

You are so much going to enjoy the books, they are so incredibly rich in detail. The problem with the series is that they have to leave out a lot, and not only because they have 2 episodes, but also because a lot would be too difficult to film anyway.
If you've read book 2 or 3, please come back to tell us what you think!

03/22/2018 - 8:49 pm

I think it's worth bearing in mind that, not everyone will have read the books and, they don't know what the outcome is. It's also difficult to compare fairly, the books with the tv Series as, in my opinion, it must have been increadily difficult to distill all the information, in the books, into 2/3 episodes. It sounds as if the intention is to make the next adaptation 4 weeks long which will, at least, offer an opportunity for the story to be much closer, to that in the book. I haven't read book 2 or 3 yet and I found the tv versions enjoyable, albeit too short. It will be nice to now read the books and fill in some of the questions I have and to argue my own version of how he should have turned out. I can't wat for Lethal White and to see the Cast back on screen again.

03/08/2018 - 4:02 pm

1. He is so clever and undestands that Robin would never block him but to not ruin her wedding day he doesn't say anything to her about it!

I think there are limits for him when he doesn't want to ruin her wedding day. I just cannot imagine he would let this go from Matthew. This was a clear offense not only against Robin but him as well. Up to this point he disliked Matthew but had nothing particular to mention. He is not somebody who would let another one play around with him like this.

2. He thinks Robin while angry at him did it but since they are back in good terms she will unblock him and sees no reason to mention it!

If she was so angry with him that she blocked his number she would not have been suddenly beaming at him. Strike is not so stupid to think this.

03/08/2018 - 11:45 am

irnbrugirl66 said
I completely agree Caitlin - I went through all the same emotions as you. Only because JKR is very good at giving the readers lots of things to hold onto, to keep our hope alive that Strike and Robin are end game.

Even though, yes, the book says 'her stony-faced new husband', we know she has not smiled until the point she sees Cormoran and tries to stop herself from fully admitting she feels obligated to marry Matthew. I liked the way that in the TV series she seems to go back to Matthew because of Strike pushing her away.

However, in the TV programme, from the moment Strike sacks her and she looks mortified for a millisecond before she clamps down on that emotion, she is never shown as feeling like she has to marry Matthew or really upset that she has lost her job. And yes, she is far too happy when she walks down the aisle - I could take it if she was smiling (I could convince myself she was still being responsible Robin trying to do the right thing). But it was the way she affectionately leant her head on Matthew as if she was proud to be his wife. When she sleeps in the bed with Matthew again and kisses him, she seems to be forcing herself back into her old feelings for him so she doesn't feel so disappointed in Strike's subtle rejection.

There was a definite push to show Robin as much stronger in this story and as has been pointed out and Matthew as a lot less abusive. The TV show has lost something in doing this. It is a storyline very rarely pursued in fiction or drama as in real life emotional abuse is so easily overlooked and it is almost as if Tom Edge has overlooked it too. By not portraying it in 'Career' when it actually gets very intense, I think it does a disservice to how well JKR's characters were written originally.

I would have found her marrying Matthew more satisfying if it had been accompanied by a good helping of angst from both sides. But this makes me wonder - we've all noticed that we do not see things from Robin's POV at the end of the story still. We rarely see it in the episode either - apart from her looking a bit pained by her arm sitting on her bed alone and when she looks towards the door when the vicar asks if anyone is against the wedding.

So, perhaps the cliffhanger is still on its way. As you have said, the beginning of 'Lethal' will have lost its piquancy if that is all we are going to see. So, I'm hoping JKR has something more planned that will at least surprise if not blow our mind at the beginning of the next book. But I agree that the phone alone might not be enough to break them up

I agree with almost all you've written except that I don't think anything else will happen! Rowling gave the opening pages so they would film the wedding scene better and in that scene there was nothing to indicate that something is following! I only saw a happy married couple leaving the church and thank God I didn't had to watch the first kiss of the newlyweds because my stomach is sensitive to such bullshit and I already wasn't feeling well watching how the ceremony turn out, predictable and dull!

03/07/2018 - 11:22 pm

03/07/2018 - 8:55 pm

Rutland Belle said
The timing is interesting...

What do you mean?

03/07/2018 - 8:53 pm

It's very kind of you, but I think I'll cope somehow. Well, hopefully. 🙂

I still haven't seen the full film (I'm not in the UK), only an around 15 minute summary about the Robin-Cormoran moments. But even from this short version I saw that Robin was smiling more during the wedding than how I imagined it based on the book.

But what about the phone thing? I saw that Matthew blocked Strike. Do you think that he didn't call? Maybe he did, it was just not shown. I still think that it will come up later.

Cormoran called but found out his number was blocked so three options:
3. While talking to her about work she says how angry she was and he might respond in a teasing way that he does know how angry she was since she blocked him!
But I believe as always Matthew will get away with it because he will hava chance to get his hands on Robin's phone and Cormoran isn't going to mention something!

Rutland Belle
03/07/2018 - 5:15 pm

Just had a thought about the phone in the TV portrayal... The moment Strike had the killer in handcuffs he phoned Robin. Before even letting Shanker in or calling Wardle.

At that point Strike hears a message saying his number has been blocked by this phone.

The timing is interesting...

03/07/2018 - 11:22 am

Benedek I really, really like you and I don't want you to get disappointed so please don't expect for something to happen and especially not the phone incident thing! Wink
Think of how it happens in the book and how in the episode and you will understand why...

It's very kind of you, but I think I'll cope somehow. Well, hopefully. 🙂

03/06/2018 - 9:34 pm

My prediction was that either something would happen during the wedding, still in the church or soon after that. I thought that Robin will leave Matthew on the day of the wedding or very soon after that. And I actually still hold on to my prediction. (Except that something would happen in the church, obviously.) If it doesn't happen, I will be just as disappointed as Caitlin. (I'll try to be less disappointed, but will probably be close. 🙂 )

03/06/2018 - 12:47 pm

I completely see the point of Caitlin. Rowling did say that the ending was a cliffhanger and the next book will continue right where CoE ended. Really: why would she start the next book on the day of the wedding otherwise?

Thank you benedek! I was thinking the same and that's why I was carried away! I don't know why she said it's a cliffhanger if it's something not related to the wedding now that we know how the ceremony continues but to be honest I don't care anymore to find out! It was such a big let down for me that I lost all my interest!

I have always seen it as a cliffhanger, too. And not only because of the above words of Rowling. (But mainly because of the words of Rowling in the books. I mean: there are simply too many hints that Robin is also in love with Strike.)

I can't say that Robin's feelings were so obvious in the tv-show though! They cut off Elin even though Robin passed half of the book being jealous of her relationship with Cormoran! I also found the look she gave him while exiting the church at Matthew's side like she was mocking him! Even in the wedding she wasn't portaryed as in the book! She was a smiling bride and by knowing she is back in good graces with Strike she became even happier! As for Cormoran Roswling shouldn't have him running to the wedding if he didn't want to do something about it, he could arrive five minutes later and she still would concider him as present in the happiest day of her life and going to the reception would also be fine! All her writing to indicate something else and giving that end was so damn pointless it makes my brain hurt!

I still can't explain why Rowling felt as she said in her interview she owed it to us to start the next story where Career of Evil was left off since nothing happens except that she does marry her tosser of a fiance! I mean who really cares about them leaving the church as husband and wife and who would care about their wedding reception!
Personally I wouldn't mind if I read in a flashback how Robin got back to work with Cormoran instead of reading about the wedding reception and the happy newlywed Cunliffe couple!
And that's why I'm not gonna read the next book! The thought of reading all this makes me grinch inwardly!
I don't believe something will happen and I hated how they left Cormoran in the church looking like a tit!

Also I feel so played by Rowling throughout all of her books it makes me feel angry!

StMawes: 40