Lethal Let Down! | Discuss Cormoran Strike! | Discuss

Lethal Let Down!
03/23/2018 - 8:21 am

Glyn said

You are so much going to enjoy the books, they are so incredibly rich in detail. The problem with the series is that they have to leave out a lot, and not only because they have 2 episodes, but also because a lot would be too difficult to film anyway.
If you've read book 2 or 3, please come back to tell us what you think!

03/22/2018 - 8:49 pm

I think it's worth bearing in mind that, not everyone will have read the books and, they don't know what the outcome is. It's also difficult to compare fairly, the books with the tv Series as, in my opinion, it must have been increadily difficult to distill all the information, in the books, into 2/3 episodes. It sounds as if the intention is to make the next adaptation 4 weeks long which will, at least, offer an opportunity for the story to be much closer, to that in the book. I haven't read book 2 or 3 yet and I found the tv versions enjoyable, albeit too short. It will be nice to now read the books and fill in some of the questions I have and to argue my own version of how he should have turned out. I can't wat for Lethal White and to see the Cast back on screen again.

03/08/2018 - 4:02 pm

1. He is so clever and undestands that Robin would never block him but to not ruin her wedding day he doesn't say anything to her about it!

I think there are limits for him when he doesn't want to ruin her wedding day. I just cannot imagine he would let this go from Matthew. This was a clear offense not only against Robin but him as well. Up to this point he disliked Matthew but had nothing particular to mention. He is not somebody who would let another one play around with him like this.

2. He thinks Robin while angry at him did it but since they are back in good terms she will unblock him and sees no reason to mention it!

If she was so angry with him that she blocked his number she would not have been suddenly beaming at him. Strike is not so stupid to think this.

03/08/2018 - 11:45 am

irnbrugirl66 said
I completely agree Caitlin - I went through all the same emotions as you. Only because JKR is very good at giving the readers lots of things to hold onto, to keep our hope alive that Strike and Robin are end game.

Even though, yes, the book says 'her stony-faced new husband', we know she has not smiled until the point she sees Cormoran and tries to stop herself from fully admitting she feels obligated to marry Matthew. I liked the way that in the TV series she seems to go back to Matthew because of Strike pushing her away.

However, in the TV programme, from the moment Strike sacks her and she looks mortified for a millisecond before she clamps down on that emotion, she is never shown as feeling like she has to marry Matthew or really upset that she has lost her job. And yes, she is far too happy when she walks down the aisle - I could take it if she was smiling (I could convince myself she was still being responsible Robin trying to do the right thing). But it was the way she affectionately leant her head on Matthew as if she was proud to be his wife. When she sleeps in the bed with Matthew again and kisses him, she seems to be forcing herself back into her old feelings for him so she doesn't feel so disappointed in Strike's subtle rejection.

There was a definite push to show Robin as much stronger in this story and as has been pointed out and Matthew as a lot less abusive. The TV show has lost something in doing this. It is a storyline very rarely pursued in fiction or drama as in real life emotional abuse is so easily overlooked and it is almost as if Tom Edge has overlooked it too. By not portraying it in 'Career' when it actually gets very intense, I think it does a disservice to how well JKR's characters were written originally.

I would have found her marrying Matthew more satisfying if it had been accompanied by a good helping of angst from both sides. But this makes me wonder - we've all noticed that we do not see things from Robin's POV at the end of the story still. We rarely see it in the episode either - apart from her looking a bit pained by her arm sitting on her bed alone and when she looks towards the door when the vicar asks if anyone is against the wedding.

So, perhaps the cliffhanger is still on its way. As you have said, the beginning of 'Lethal' will have lost its piquancy if that is all we are going to see. So, I'm hoping JKR has something more planned that will at least surprise if not blow our mind at the beginning of the next book. But I agree that the phone alone might not be enough to break them up

I agree with almost all you've written except that I don't think anything else will happen! Rowling gave the opening pages so they would film the wedding scene better and in that scene there was nothing to indicate that something is following! I only saw a happy married couple leaving the church and thank God I didn't had to watch the first kiss of the newlyweds because my stomach is sensitive to such bullshit and I already wasn't feeling well watching how the ceremony turn out, predictable and dull!

03/07/2018 - 11:22 pm

03/07/2018 - 8:55 pm

Rutland Belle said
The timing is interesting...

What do you mean?

03/07/2018 - 8:53 pm

It's very kind of you, but I think I'll cope somehow. Well, hopefully. 🙂

I still haven't seen the full film (I'm not in the UK), only an around 15 minute summary about the Robin-Cormoran moments. But even from this short version I saw that Robin was smiling more during the wedding than how I imagined it based on the book.

But what about the phone thing? I saw that Matthew blocked Strike. Do you think that he didn't call? Maybe he did, it was just not shown. I still think that it will come up later.

Cormoran called but found out his number was blocked so three options:
3. While talking to her about work she says how angry she was and he might respond in a teasing way that he does know how angry she was since she blocked him!
But I believe as always Matthew will get away with it because he will hava chance to get his hands on Robin's phone and Cormoran isn't going to mention something!

Rutland Belle
03/07/2018 - 5:15 pm

Just had a thought about the phone in the TV portrayal... The moment Strike had the killer in handcuffs he phoned Robin. Before even letting Shanker in or calling Wardle.

At that point Strike hears a message saying his number has been blocked by this phone.

The timing is interesting...

03/07/2018 - 11:22 am

Benedek I really, really like you and I don't want you to get disappointed so please don't expect for something to happen and especially not the phone incident thing! Wink
Think of how it happens in the book and how in the episode and you will understand why...

It's very kind of you, but I think I'll cope somehow. Well, hopefully. 🙂

03/06/2018 - 9:34 pm

My prediction was that either something would happen during the wedding, still in the church or soon after that. I thought that Robin will leave Matthew on the day of the wedding or very soon after that. And I actually still hold on to my prediction. (Except that something would happen in the church, obviously.) If it doesn't happen, I will be just as disappointed as Caitlin. (I'll try to be less disappointed, but will probably be close. 🙂 )

03/06/2018 - 12:47 pm

I completely see the point of Caitlin. Rowling did say that the ending was a cliffhanger and the next book will continue right where CoE ended. Really: why would she start the next book on the day of the wedding otherwise?

Thank you benedek! I was thinking the same and that's why I was carried away! I don't know why she said it's a cliffhanger if it's something not related to the wedding now that we know how the ceremony continues but to be honest I don't care anymore to find out! It was such a big let down for me that I lost all my interest!

I have always seen it as a cliffhanger, too. And not only because of the above words of Rowling. (But mainly because of the words of Rowling in the books. I mean: there are simply too many hints that Robin is also in love with Strike.)

I can't say that Robin's feelings were so obvious in the tv-show though! They cut off Elin even though Robin passed half of the book being jealous of her relationship with Cormoran! I also found the look she gave him while exiting the church at Matthew's side like she was mocking him! Even in the wedding she wasn't portaryed as in the book! She was a smiling bride and by knowing she is back in good graces with Strike she became even happier! As for Cormoran Roswling shouldn't have him running to the wedding if he didn't want to do something about it, he could arrive five minutes later and she still would concider him as present in the happiest day of her life and going to the reception would also be fine! All her writing to indicate something else and giving that end was so damn pointless it makes my brain hurt!

I still can't explain why Rowling felt as she said in her interview she owed it to us to start the next story where Career of Evil was left off since nothing happens except that she does marry her tosser of a fiance! I mean who really cares about them leaving the church as husband and wife and who would care about their wedding reception!
Personally I wouldn't mind if I read in a flashback how Robin got back to work with Cormoran instead of reading about the wedding reception and the happy newlywed Cunliffe couple!
And that's why I'm not gonna read the next book! The thought of reading all this makes me grinch inwardly!
I don't believe something will happen and I hated how they left Cormoran in the church looking like a tit!

Also I feel so played by Rowling throughout all of her books it makes me feel angry!

03/06/2018 - 11:44 am

03/06/2018 - 4:35 am

The problem for me is that when I first read the book I didn't know anything about what she had said in her interviews!
When I read the last page I made the logical conclusion that she indeed is married and the other book will start like the others: after three - four months with married to Matthew and back working with Cormoran since that's what she like to do!
But then I read she is starting the book the moment it ended and it's concidered a cliffhanger so I asked myself why is that? Why start that very same moment if there's nothing more happening? So I found some things that might go down and would be way more interesting than the continuation Rowling decided to give!
For me the cliffhanger if there is one at all of course isn't about how Cormoran will convince Robin go back to work with him, her reaction to his presence was confirmation enough!
And it's so pointless to start her next book with the same way the tv-show ended because I don't believe anyone is interested to read more about the ceremony and how Robin left the church being married to Matthew! And I don't bloody know why we would need a flashback about it either!
Well done for you for not believing the cliffhanger wasn't about the wedding but if it's not then there isn't one at all! It's not about the case either since no killer is aproaching the place and if I'm mistaken again and it's about the talk between Robin and Cormoran and work it's such a lame one!
But I'm done with this serie! She can add as much drama she likes, she can make another Jane Eyre 10 parter drama out of her serie for all I care!

03/05/2018 - 10:43 pm

cormorans said

spotlessmimd: YES!! i like you, whoever you are ♥

Aww, thanks! Just a big fan who is dying to read more and see more ASAP!

03/05/2018 - 7:51 pm

Aaaagggh! I am in America and not able to see this episode....so can someone please tell me what happened at the very end that was so disappointing to several members?

Like a few others on here, I never for a moment thought that the wedding would suddenly be halted by Robin or Matthew or Cormoran, or that the wedding itself was the cliffhanger. I stated before that I think the cliffhanger is that Robin and Cormoran are "estranged" and that needs to be resolved somehow. Anyway, I am still very excited to read Lethal White.

spotlessmimd: YES!! i like you, whoever you are ♥

03/05/2018 - 7:14 pm

I saw the cliffhanger more about Robin than Strike and what was going on with her, they cut down a lot on the days leading up to the wedding so we still don't know whether Robin knows about the blocked calls, although the show leads us to believe not.

We only have them walking down the isle not what happens after. I never doubted they were really married, and this was the authors way of confirming yes they really are married. I hav'nt re watched the scene yet though as I want to get a good look at the actors emotions.

I feel the tv show botched up a lot with this second part to fit everything in, although they know more than us when it comes to that final scene. I'm slightly disappointed of course but I feel people are over reacting.

03/05/2018 - 6:53 pm

Simply that they are married, and when Robin walks out of the church on Matthew's arm, she and Cormoran (sort of sheepishly) smirk at each other. I liked it.

03/05/2018 - 6:21 pm

03/05/2018 - 4:00 pm

Agreed. It was an achievement to cram this book in two episodes and they did a great job at that.

03/05/2018 - 3:48 pm

cormorans said
I felt, but I'm not the only one, that it was rushed and that the book deserved a more thorough adaptations in 3 or 4 episodes though. Still, Tom and Holliday (and the rest of the cast) were great 🙂

I totally agree! But what was done with the limited time available was, in my opinion, pure gold.

Currently Online: LindMea