Cormoran/Robin Relationship | Page 4 | Discuss Cormoran Strike! | Discuss

Cormoran/Robin Relationship
03/26/2017 - 4:37 am

So many excellent points to respond to!!

Robin Ellacott said

I'm thinking "Corbin" is a quick and easy OTP name! HAHA

LOL whenever I hear Corbin I think, "Corbin Dallas Multipass". But is that a bad thing?? Perhaps the ship name should be CTFU&EYB.

Robin Ellacott said

Oh my god, I thought the exact same thing, about Martin being the one who laughed!! I agree with Robin though, I'd loove to see him work up the nerve to call Strike "Hopalong" to his face - I don't think he could! Martin seemed to show a lot of interest in the Shackelwell Ripper case, and we know that he hasn't accomplished much with his life - what if he gets some inspiration from Robin and decides to move to London and try to become a police officer?? He would be a fun character to have a bigger presence, in that he would probably cause Robin a lot of grief - and give her a bit of an in with the Met! Maybe they could be roommates once she dumps Matthew, I could see a lot of potential for humour there....

Robin Ellacott said

OK, "cheer the fuck up and eat your burger" is ICONIC. If this is not in the BBC adaptation VERBATIM then I will be very upset!! Robin's reluctance to show emotion is pretty ironic, since her empathy and emotional intelligence is one of the reasons that she is able to make such a good partner to Strike - she has skills that he doesn't! I wish she wasn't so ashamed to be emotional in front of him. He doesn't want some stoic ex-police woman - he wants Robin, and her depth of emotion is what makes Robin Robin.

Now, I think that Robin is very perceptive when it comes to other people - and she is fascinated by how their minds work, and is very good at understanding motivation; but I think that she turns her perception outwards, focusing on other people, in order to avoid examining her own emotions. If she really took the time to examine her own feelings, I don't think she would have ever gone back to Matthew. I really think that she's afraid to look at what is in her own heart, so she just avoids it!

Robin Ellacott said
I think she feels that she owes it to Matthew.

This!!! She says at one point that she considered Matthew "a selfless paragon of kindness and understanding" (gag) for staying with her after she was raped; I think that she's been trying to 'pay him back' for that ever since... Ugh. Just leave him, girl! You don't owe him shit!

I've got a two week vacation coming up. Does anyone have any cute Cormobin fanfic prompts that they would like me to write while I have the free time?!?!

~~~ Follow me on Tumblr | Find my Strike Series Fanfic on A03 ~~~

03/25/2017 - 9:11 pm

LindMea said

Yes, absolutely. There are so many scenes. I think that at the end she goes back to Matthew because of Elin. Let me torture you with some further quotations. Scene: Robin and Matthew sit in front of the TV watching the royal wedding. This right before they get together again.

'Dearly beloved...' began the Dean of Westminster on screen.
She thought of the day that Matthew had asked her out for the very first time and remembered walking home from school, her insides on fire with excitement and pride. She remembered Sarah Sadlock giggling, leaning against him in a pub in Bath, and Matthew frowning slightly and pulling away. She thought of Strike and Elin... what have they got to do with anything?

I have the feeling that she thought that Sarah is past, but Elin is present. So she choses Matthew with a past Elin, which is still better than a present one.

She was jealous of others as well. For example remember when Strike went to that massage parlour in Market Harborough:

'How long does it take to hand over a telephone number?' Robin asked the interior of the Land Rover crossly. She felt chilly in the car. 'I thought you wanted to get on to Corby?'
He had told her nothing had happened, but you never knew. Perhaps it had. Perhaps the girl had covered Strike in oil and...
Robin drummed her fingers on the steering wheel.[...]
'D'you want to try Brockbank's number now?' Robin asked, recalling Strike's attention from the back view of Ingrid as she walked away. [...]
'You've just told me that girl -'
'Ingrid?'
'Ingrid,' said Robin, with a trace of impatience, 'yes.'

03/25/2017 - 8:57 pm

Oh, I do think that she'll figure out her feelings in book four.

I think this is a possibility, but I think it might be drawn out longer -- especially if it ends up that she's married to Matthew.

All the signs that Robin loves Cormoran are there -- but she won't go there or be honest with herself. So far, I think she's managing to keep her feelings toward Cormoran on a subconscious level. I think she might fight it off more and refuse to accept it because she's supposed to be in love with Matthew and want to marry him (she keeps telling herself, anyway). I think she feels that she owes it to Matthew. And if she marries him, the guilt associated with being in love with another man will probably rein her in even longer.

As it is, Strike is only barely honest with himself and letting his feelings toward her exist on a conscious but highly controlled level. I think we're in this for the long haul.

03/25/2017 - 8:41 pm

LindMea said

- Robin has no clue how she feels. It's obvious to us - she was so jealous every time Elin was mentioned in Career of Evil... and the scene of her trying to sleep in her hotel room, flustered because Strike is five doors down, imagining what would happen if he knocked on her door, is absolutely hilarious. I don't think she'll figure out her feelings in book four; maybe book five? And it'll be another book or two before they get together. JK is going to draw this out.

Oh, I do think that she'll figure out her feelings in book four. I think I said it somewhere here before: she studied to be a psychologist, interested in psychology, for me it would be very odd if she didn't. It is just credible that she didn't figure out her feelings until Strike fired her, because things were so much turbulent. She just didn't have time to think about it in peace and analyze herself.

Remember how she described Strike in the first book to Matthew:

"Matt, honestly, if you saw him... he's enormous and he's got a face like some beaten-up boxer. He is not remotely attractive, I'm sure he's over forty, and..." she had cast around for more aspersions to cast upon Strike's appearance, "he's got that sort of pupen hair."

And what did she say to her mother in CoE when she wanted her to stop the subject (her mother was probably trying to find out whether she is attracted to him)?

I don't fancy Strike.

That's all what se was able to say. Do you see the difference between the two quotations? And this was before they went for their little trip, where things got more serious, I think.

Next time, when her mother visited her in London and they met Strike (the Scene Robin Ellacott also mentioned above), her mother said that she thought "he's got something about him" she didn't even say she didn't fancy him. She didn't even dare to participate in the conversation between her mother and Strike because she was afraid that her mother would notice that she "was nursing a secret infatuation" towards him. It is certainly not written exactly this way but I interpret it like this. So she does have some clue by that time, don't you think?

03/25/2017 - 7:08 pm

LindMea said
Yesss!

Where do I even start with these two? I haven't been this invested in a fictional relationship since... I don't even know. Although, I actually started Cuckoo's Calling hoping that they would stay just friends - just because it seemed like a romantic relationship between them would be a bit of a cliche. Obviously, though, the second and third books pushed me way over the edge, and now I'm obsessed.

You and me both, Honey! LOL

LindMea said
- I love that all of Strike's family and friends want him to get together with Robin... I highly doubt that her own family would be as open to the idea. There might be some opposition to overcome there, especially after he fired her in front of her mother. And also is the reason that she keeps getting herself injured - or at least I think that's how Linda will see it.

What's everyone's favourite moment between Robin and Strike? What should their ship name be - Cormobin? Is anyone else as obsessed as I am??

I'm thinking "Corbin" is a quick and easy OTP name! HAHA

I agree with everything you've said so far and ponder the same things, EXCEPT I don't think Robin's family will have any opposition to Cormoran. Linda has already admitted that he's not a pretty boy but that there's "something about him." She sees Robin's attraction (even though Robin doesn't quite realize it) and understands it. Yes, there's the concern about the job and the dangers it entails, but I think the Ellacotts can separate the man from the job. Plus, Martin already has a nickname for Strike -- Hopalong -- and we know Strike is going to love that! (P.S. I envisioned the man in the congregation who laughs out loud at the wedding when Strike knocks over the flowers to be Martin! HAHA)

To answer your question about a favorite moment with Corbin .... There are SO MANY. One of them definitely is the "Cheer the fuck up and eat your burger" moment. Classic interaction with those two. They're both thinking each other is thinking the opposite, but they are able to communicate and work it out. I love it how in this scene Robin shows emotion (often her greatest fear is crying in front of Strike and losing his professional respect) but it doesn't change his views toward her one bit.

I also love how Robin makes Strike grin and laugh so much. Another indication that he's absolutely crazy about her.

03/25/2017 - 5:59 pm

Yesss!

Their relationship is just so full of mutual respect, and they are so similar in a lot of ways - at the same time, the differences between them are super complementary. Some random thoughts about them:

- I think Strike is pretty aware of his feelings at this point. He doesn't like admitting, even to himself, that he's super in love with Robin; he's always dancing around it in his internal monologues, calling his feelings a 'weakness'. The most he's willing to admit is that "He liked her face. He liked her voice. He liked being around her." (Which, oh my god). I really wish that we'd gotten some introspection from him about her after he decided to crash the wedding to get her back... I have a feeling he'd stopped denying his feelings to himself.

- When they do get together, I worry that it will be hard for Strike to open himself up emotionally - he's gotten so used to keeping Robin at arm's length, it would be a hard habit to break. Luckily Robin is persistent.

~~~ Follow me on Tumblr | Find my Strike Series Fanfic on A03 ~~~

03/25/2017 - 5:07 pm

Here it is, LindMea! Have at it!!