Cormoran/Robin Relationship | Page 3 | Discuss Cormoran Strike! | Discuss

Cormoran/Robin Relationship
03/28/2017 - 5:17 pm

Ellie B. said

For the first bit: a hundred times: yes!

And, it's very valid good point you're raising here. She is indeed different. Even physically, he says (well, think, really) that Robin is not beautiful but sexy. I don't know about you, but I'd take sexy over beautiful every time! (btw, Tom Burke matches this description, if you ask me)

Oh boy, Tom Burke is SO sexy! I cannot wait until November so that we can see him as Strike. He may not fit the physical description accurately, but he's a good actor and SO nice to look at.

~~~ Follow me on Tumblr | Find my Strike Series Fanfic on A03 ~~~

Ellie B.
03/28/2017 - 5:00 pm

LindMea said

My absolute favourite part of this is that she plans to PORE OVER this exchange later. In SOLITUDE. She has it so bad!!

Now I'm hoping that we see him be uncertain about where he stands with Robin in later novels. Perhaps because she's not the usual "total fucking flake" (as Polworth puts it) that he tends to attract, he'll be less sure about how to approach her or gauge her level of interest.

For the first bit: a hundred times: yes!

03/28/2017 - 11:54 am

Ellie B. said
Benedek: yes, I was indeed referring to his broken face as the indication he caught the ripper. Robin would know in an instant.

LOL I concede!! I have no deductive reasoning skills at all, so I cannot really fathom how Robin could make the leap from broken face to Ripper caught! But, you're right, Robin is a brilliant detective and probably would be able to figure it out instantly. And the more I think of it, the more sure I am that she continued her constant search for news, so she probably also heard about Laing's arrest.

Robin was not sure what to say to that, though it gave her a small glow of pleasure. She thought it might be the very first time that Strike had ever given any indication that he saw her as a woman, and she silently filed away the exchange to pore over later, in solitude.

But yeah, Strike has been pretty careful about keeping his attraction for her under wraps. I wish that one of them had referenced him kissing her hand during CoE... I wanted to see what Robin felt about it!

I agree with Ellie B., maybe he's purposefully trying not to care about how she sees him, since he is still adamant that nothing can happen between them. I know that he has slept with a lot of beautiful women... but surely not every woman that Strike meets is instantly attracted to him?! It sometimes seems that way in the novels, strains credulity a bit.

~~~ Follow me on Tumblr | Find my Strike Series Fanfic on A03 ~~~

Ellie B.
03/28/2017 - 9:51 am

I also think Matthew could be the key to the problem he is (hahaha).

I do love the fact that Robin, although kind of oblivious to her attraction to CS , keeps wanting him to see her... In every way.

I'm not sure he wants to ask himself how she sees him. Because it would be trouble. He keeps repeating that the fact she in a relationship and engaged helps him not to seek any further .

03/28/2017 - 7:35 am

Another question that keeps me thinking in connection to the Cormoran/Robin relationship is what each of them think about the other's feelings.

I am pretty sure that Robin is unsure whether Strike is interested in her as a woman at all. I already quoted a lot to prove this, but let me mention one more scene here. This is when they are on their trip to Barrow-in-Furness and Strike asks her how things were with Matthew (with whom she just broke up). (Again, it took me some time to find out what "fish" means but I think I managed.)

'Well, he wants to get back together.'
'Course he does,' said Strike.
'Why "of course"?'
'If I'm not allowed to fish, you aren't.'

Stupid Robin! What about him buying you a horribly expensive dress, what about kissing your hand? When Strike got drunk in the first book, he also told her several times that she was a very nice girl. (I know that "nice" does not necessarily mean her looks, but still...
Can you think about other times he showed signs of seeing her as a woman?

And - what about Strike?
I don't remember whether he was ever concerned that Robin may not like him. Not as a person but as a man. Is he just spoiled because so many women are attracted to him? Or does he also have his doubts? What do you think?

03/28/2017 - 7:09 am

LindMea said
Ellie B., do you think Robin will know that the Ripper was caught? If it only hit the news while Strike was driving up to Yorkshire, and she's been getting ready for the wedding all day, she might not know yet! Although it does seem like Robin to be sneakily looking up the latest news while she's getting her hair done, or something.

I think Ellie B meant that Robin would deduct that Strike caught the Ripper from his beaten up face.
It's an absolute relevant (and important) question whether Robin already knows that the Ripper is caught by the time she first sees Strike (anyway, she is far away from him in the church, I think she is not able to see his face at that point.)
I think both answers are feasible. She might not know about the news because - just as you say - the announcement was very new and she was definitely busy with the preparations. On the other hand we know that "she was constantly looking for news about the Shacklewell Ripper online and - just as often - Googling Strike". At least before Matthew brought her the newspaper with the article about Strike looking for a new "girl Friday". Maybe she stopped doing this after that? Or at least didn't do it as regularly as before because she was so disappointed? Who knows? But it's exciting!

LindMea said But whatever happens with their reunion, we know one thing: Matthew is going to be PISSED. Maybe he'll throw a tantrum and ruin the wedding himself.

Yes, this is one of the scenarios that I also have in mind. 🙂

03/27/2017 - 8:59 pm

benedek, I agree with you that they should/are going to hug! I hadn't thought of your point that everything would be really overwhelming for Robin... but it makes sense!

To the drops of blood, would he still be bleeding at this point?? The doctors must have done a pretty bad job of stitching him up if he is, lol!!

~~~ Follow me on Tumblr | Find my Strike Series Fanfic on A03 ~~~

Ellie B.
03/27/2017 - 5:00 pm

Reading you guys, I'm actually thinking of an awkward but happy/relieved smile and, Robin being the first to speak with "you caught him" or something basic and efficient as they always do. Then, a simple "yes" from him . And THEN a hug... I can't help but seeing Cormoran's drops of blood on her dress (if they hug) and I always see these kind of obvious pictures as a symbol of a doomed wedding. Too much?

Thoughts?

03/27/2017 - 7:54 am

favourite moment between Robin and Strike:

Yes, the burger scene is lovely.

There is one more which I especially like: When Strike calls himself knight errant. It took me quite a while to figure out that "errant" is not an adverb but an adjective belonging strictly to "knight", and these two words have a certain meaning together which I can (and should) google out. But once I did, I was done. 🙂

Let me just quote it for you! 🙂

'As knights errant go, I was on the crap side. She fell over with him and cracked her head on the pavement. (He is talking here about Whittaker's girlfriend.) What I don't get,' he added, after a short pause for reflection, 'is her. That was her chance. She could've left: I'd've got her to a refuge, I'd've seen her right. Why the fuck did she go back to him? Why do women do that?'
In the fractional hesitation before Robin replied, Strike realised that a certain personal interpretation could be put on these words.
'I suppose,' began Robin, and simultaneously Strike said, 'I didn't mean -'
Both stopped.
'Sorry, go on,' said Strike.

03/27/2017 - 7:31 am

Meeting each other on the wedding:

First time they successfully solved a case together, they were smiling. Second time, they almost hugged each other. (And strike kissed her hand.) For the third time, I expect that they will actually hug each other. Maybe not on the wedding, but shortly afterwards. But why not already on the wedding day. This case was so much more demanding, and personal than the previous ones. This was the case where the most physical injuries happened as well. They must be really-really relieved that it's over. And there is nobody else on the world with whom they could share this feeling.

This is part of the reason why I think that they will get together soon. Strike appears on the wedding as a real hero. Who just caught a serial killer. I think it's impressive for anybody. But for Robin, for whom it was much-much-much more important than for an average newspaper-reader.... And after catching the serial killer over the previous evening, spending the night in the hospital and with the police, he travels many hours to get to her. It must be so overwhelming for Robin, if she thinks it through....

I definitely expect at least a hug this time.

But what would Matthew say?

03/27/2017 - 12:50 am

LindMea said

As for number 9, I think that Strike is going to be doing some pretty serious grovelling! At this point he still thinks that Robin didn’t call him back on purpose; he doesn’t know that Matthew deleted his message. So he’s going to be thinking she’s angry, and he’s going to make some extravagant apologies, I think. As for Robin, I think that her curiosity over why his face is all beaten up is going to win out over anything else she might want to say to him, lol.

I CANNOT WAIT to see the next scene! Once again, Robin and Cormoran will be coming together when each has a different set of preconceived notions. It will be soooo interesting to see how they unfold. Will the voicemail situation come up then or later? If then, maybe Robin will annul the marriage before the cake is cut! (Although I'm thinking that in a legal sense, you might be right that Strike's mantra still applies: "There's still time.")

03/27/2017 - 12:45 am

HarukaCristina said
Hi, everyone
It's my first time here and I'll say I'm not a native speaker of english so excuse me my fails 😅
I like so much this fan page and all ideas that the people write here, it's so fun!

...
A thing I think is funny is when Robin get angry with Cormoran but he hasn't idea for why. It remember to me that he doesn't like to see to Robin unhappy like in The Silkworm when they are backing after talk with Daniel Chard and she was clearly angry and so close (?) from the tears while they are eating a burger, there Cormoran was particularly sensible and the scene was lovely.

Thank you so much for visiting the site and for your kind words! We're so glad you're enjoying it. Let us know if there's ever anything you'd like to see on this website.

Yes, that scene with the burger is priceless, isn't it? I do love how Robin and Cormoran are often at cross-purposes in their thinking but then sometimes come around to seeing things eye to eye. If they communicated more than they do, a lot of conflict would be resolved before it ever erupts! Kind of a typical man/woman kind of communication, don't you think? 😉

03/26/2017 - 11:25 pm

Ellie B. said
8- Tell me, traditionally, in the UK, who must say 'I do' first in a wedding? The bride or the groom? (see where I'm going to with that one?)
9- I wonder what will be the first thing they tell each other when they get to speak.

In regards to number 8, I’m not sure – but I AM sure that they’re not legally married until the papers are signed! (Ok, I’m pretty sure.) There’s still time..

Robin Ellacott said
We don't seem to know much about Robin's father, Michael, yet, do we?

Yes, Michael Ellacott has been suspiciously silent! He seems to fade into the background of every scene he’s in. I guess the fact that Robin is very close to her mother means that Linda will be the more prominent character… still, I’d love it if Robin’s family gets more time in upcoming books! I also REALLY want to meet Strike’s aunt and uncle, we know that he idolized his uncle when he was a kid, I think that their relationship would be really sweet.

I also want to know more about Robin’s older brother, Stephen – we know that he’s getting married soon as well, maybe if we’re lucky Robin will take Cormoran as her date to the wedding 😉

~~~ Follow me on Tumblr | Find my Strike Series Fanfic on A03 ~~~

03/26/2017 - 10:29 pm

Yeah, I agree that cancelling the wedding would have felt like such an ordeal for Robin – her parents losing their deposits, having to tell everyone what had happened, facing disappointment from so many people – and worse, the perceived humiliation. Add on top of that having to find a new place to live and separate her and Matthew’s lives… it was just too much, I think. She was already exhausted and tense from everything going on with the murderer, AND Strike was being kind of a jerk. I don’t blame her for giving in, especially with Matthew being contrite and begging her to take him back, I can’t be sure I wouldn’t have done the same thing in her situation. (Although I sure hope not!!)
And I agree that she regretted her decision. It was so sad reading about her having to pretend to be excited about getting married, and she didn’t smile ONCE during the entire DAY of her wedding?? I feel like someone in her life should have noticed how miserable she was and SAID something to her about it.

Robin Ellacott said
OMG! OMG! Fanfic prompts! Let's see.... You're asking for some "cute" prompts, so I won't request anything too demanding like the Kairos moment in which Robin and Cormoran finally acknowledge their undying love for one another. LOL

LOL please, about 90% of anything I write is going to have Cormoran and Robin declaring their undying love for each other. How could it not??
LOVE all of these prompts, adding them to my ‘to write’ list (two of them were already on there, you’re clearly psychic.) I cannot wait until I finally have time to sit down and write for fun without feeling guilty about it!

Robin Ellacott said

I think Matthew loves the image of Robin that he holds in his head – but as Robin continues to discover who she really is and what she really wants, he’s going to get more and more frustrated, because the real Robin doesn’t match who he thinks Robin is – or should be. Maybe he’ll realize eventually that he and Robin just aren’t compatible rather than continuing to try and shape her to fit into his ideal Robin template. Or maybe Robin will get tired of his BS and leave first!

~~~ Follow me on Tumblr | Find my Strike Series Fanfic on A03 ~~~

HarukaCristina
03/26/2017 - 9:26 pm

Hi, everyone

About the nickname for the couple Cormoran-Robin I think they are a special case (?) (I don't sure what is the word) so probably we have to wait till they create something.

I feel they have a such lovely relationship that I can't stop to myself of want more about them... I didn't like nothing read about Robin get married and I feel unhappy when I remember that yet.

Well, I know, so much "lovelies". I hope the 4th book soon!

03/26/2017 - 8:20 pm

Ellie B. said

2- At one point one tells the other "Get a grip" I think it's Robin to Strike and it makes him smile.

Yes, it's Robin to Strike. He's worrying about her safety toward the beginning of CoE. There's a noted change between them in CoE, I think. They're much more casual and comfortable with each other.

(Glad to see you on here, Ellie, even if it's as a guest! Blergh)

Ellie B. said
4- I cannot remember when Martin's nickname for Cormoran pops out, would you mind telling me?

It's when Robin and Matthew go home for her to do a wedding dress fitting in CoE. Martin's nickname infuriates Robin and she says he's not brave enough to call Strike that to his face! LOL -- I think Strike would love it.

Ellie B. said 5- About that, don't you find it funny how, without having met him, the Ellacotts weem quite incline towards CS? I don't know if it's because they don't like Matthew that much (I can't recall a scene where they are nice/funny/comfortable/... with a guy who's been in their duaghter's life for nine years) or just because they just like Strike.

From what I can tell, the Ellacott parents don't dislike Matthew -- Linda seems quite friendly with him and united with him on concerns about Robin, in fact, but she's also apparently open-minded about her daughter's partner choices. She genuinely encourages Robin to do what's right for her. We don't seem to know much about Robin's father, Michael, yet, do we?

It's mentioned somewhere that Robin's brothers aren't too keen on Matthew because he puts on airs to cover the fact he's a Yorkshireman.

Ellie B. said

What a change from Charlotte's family, by the way!

Exactly! Cormoran would fit right into Robin's family. I also find it interesting that Robin makes it a point to tell Strike she likes his friends, and it's noted that Charlotte never did and never tried to fit in with them.

Ellie B. said

Yep, I'm on to you with this question -- and I want the answer to it, too!!

Ellie B.
03/26/2017 - 6:56 pm

Wait! I'm confused... Robin's dad is Michael! I mixed up Martin and Michael! Sorry!

So: i'd like to have Michael's point of view and I want Martin to be the one who laughs!

My bad!

Ellie B.
03/26/2017 - 6:28 pm

Guys, I absolutely love what you're bringing to the table! It's a delight to read.

Several things - as I'm a bit late, as usual - (I'll put numbers to help my mind sort it out) :

1- "Corbin Dallas Multipass" maybe my day! Still laughing! Thank you for that!

3- Whenever she has a trace of her Yorkshire accent, he can't help but smiling. You know this kind of little details you notice when you spend so much time with someone and you do pay attention. I love it! It tells so much with very little.

6- Wouldn't it be nice if, for one chapter, let say the wedding reception where the Ellacotts both meet Strike we'd have Martin's point of view?

7- For the laugh in the church, Martin is a great guess... But I'd go for Robin's brother. First because I don't think he likes Matthew that much (I apologize for my lack of reference or quotes, I speak out of memory and impressions), secondly because he is the last (or one of the last) of the family Strike has won over. And he could have an ally. What a change from Charlotte's family, by the way!

10- Will Shanker be a runaway car????

TBC 😉

03/26/2017 - 4:35 pm

And, also, I think she just went down the path of the least resistance. She thought that cancelling the wedding required a lot of effort and she didn't feel like dealing with that. Under time-pressure, and under the romantic mood caused by the royal wedding, she agreed to go along with it.

...

But Robin was not happy with her decision later

I totally agree with this. "Path of least resistance" is a good way of looking at it -- she feels ultimately obligated to Matthew, so not only would the "resistance" involve cancelling a big wedding and all that it physically and emotionally entails, but it would also involve dealing with her internal feelings of guilt and obligation head on. Like LindMea said, Robin is good with analyzing the psychology of others, just not her own -- understandably so, with her history. And Matthew is good with the tears and the begging -- although we all despise him, I think Matthew thinks he loves Robin. Maybe he actually does, in the capacity he's capable of love, but it's not good enough for Robin, and she's knows that deep down inside. But she's susceptible to his emotional persuasion.

03/26/2017 - 4:27 pm

LindMea said

LOL whenever I hear Corbin I think, "Corbin Dallas Multipass". But is that a bad thing?? Perhaps the ship name should be CTFU&EYB.

HAHA -- thanks for ruining that OTP name with an image of Bruce Willis in my brain now! I guess it isn't too bad of a thing, though, since Bruce doesn't look half bad in that movie. LOL

Yes, perhaps an acronym for their most iconic moment would be best. However, it's a bit hard to say.... LOL

LindMea said
I've got a two week vacation coming up. Does anyone have any cute Cormobin fanfic prompts that they would like me to write while I have the free time?!?!

How about a scene in which a new investigator or assistant has been added to their agency and either Cormoran or Robin is a bit jelly of the attention that new member is getting from the other?

Or how about flashforwarding to when Robin and Cormoran have a baby and Robin is helping Cormoran relax into his role as a new father?

Or when Robin brings Cormoran home to Masham for the first time in their debut as a couple and he gets to meet the entire Ellacott family? Or Cormoran brings Robin to St. Mawes for the first time to meet Aunt Joan and Uncle Ted and/or Dave Polworth?

I can't wait to see whatever it is you come up with!! Thanks!