Cormoran/Robin Relationship | Page 2 | Discuss Cormoran Strike! | Discuss

Cormoran/Robin Relationship
01/24/2018 - 7:50 pm

I've read about this too but I can't recall the name of the show! I believe at some point they will invastigate cases as a married couple since JK Rowling said she has at least 10 books more in her to write about Cormoran and Robin!
Honestly I can't see how a marriage between Robin and Matthew will help this development though!
I mean Robin has to be alone for a while to figure things out about herself and about her feelings for Cormoran so if she gets married that will take like forever!
I know I'm not the author of the books but as a reader I wouldn't like for Robin to discover she loves Cormoran while married to Matthew, get a divorce and jump in a relationship with Cormoran. I would like for her to be single for example in books four and five since the stories are only months apart (usually) and they can come to a point at the end of book five where they confess who they feel or something happens and the one realizes who the other feels about the other and in the next books we will see how their relationship will develop while they solve cases as a couple and they eventually get also married...
Also now it's also a tv-show based on the books and in my opinion Tom's and Holly's chemistry should be concidered for the future of Cormoran's and Robin's relationship!

I'm so happy I'm not the only one finding that article. Hope there is some truth to it.

Considering this, Matthew really did serve his purposes, and there is no more need for his involvement as long as JKR doesn't want to explore an unhappy marriage, with I hope she will not do.
And yes Robin definitely needs some time alone and a few rebound relationships, just as Cormoran had. This would also be a great tool to build the sexual tension between R. & C.

Yes, Tom's and Holliday have amazing chemistry, they are both perfect for the role of Cormoran and Robin.

01/24/2018 - 7:38 pm

Leafling said
After I read the series about a year ago, I started researching when the next book will come out. I read a blog post (with I can no longer find) that JKR got the inspiration from a 50's Tv show about a married couple having a private detective business, I have no idea if this is true or not, but it would be amazing to have Robin and Cormoran as a married couple solving crimes all over the UK or even EU i the long run.

01/24/2018 - 7:05 pm

01/24/2018 - 6:30 pm

So, in the end, Cormoran and Robin have what the other needs, emotionally and psychologically. They just need to admit that to themselves (and to eachother lol).

Couldn't agree more!!! 🙂

01/24/2018 - 5:01 pm

Hey guys, as always, a lot of eccellent points have been made about the characters! I really love how insightful this forum is.
What moontoblood has written makes a lot of sense, and I would agree with the key points of your assessment. There are two instances, however, where I would tend to a different reading, namely when it comes to the reasons for the kinds of relationships Robin and Cormoran respectively seek.

moontoblood said

Considering Cormoran, I agree, his muddled and unstable upbrining, and the demise of his mother have left deep scars in regards to his love life. However, I don't think that Cormoran choses "fucking flakes", as Polworth puts it, as his love interests because of a need to control. On the contrary, I think he is attracted to those troubled women because he believes, or hopes, that he can "fix" them, save them from their own tendency towards self-destruction.
Remember, Strike is deeply shaken by not being able to help his mother, implicitly blaming the lack of loving relationship for her incapability to find stability in her life. This whole situation then escalates with the utterly selfish Whittaker, who has no interest in Leda whatsoever aside from money and status, which then results in her death. Cormoran believes, therefore, that if Leda would have had someone stable, someone loving in her life, she would have never died so young.

When it comes to his and Charlotte's relationship, it is repeated several times that Cormoran was the "rock", never waivering, always there to come back to (I think this was in CC); at one point he even saves her (at least he thinks he does) from committing suicide. So, I would say then that Cormoran has developed some kind of Hero complex, caused by the impotence in regards to Leda's death (sorry guys for my naive try at a psychological analysis - I am NOT a professional, so this might just be utter rubbish). This is by no means a very healthy basis for a
relationship to begin with, and we have seen that this outset produces a kind of behaviour that - however well-meant in its intentions - only results in a toxic relationship where either party gets a high from the very instability of the outset. I hope this makes sense lol.
Because of his tendency to grant some kind of stability to women who so desperately lack stability (and probably do not actually want stability to begin with), Cormoran also believes that he is incapable of being with someone who has actually experienced the kind of loving background he thinks he is genuinely unable to provide because of his upbringing. So, in the end, he feels he is only able to be with damaged women, because he himself is damaged.

This is where Robin comes in.

moontoblood said I think she is unwilling to face people on an intimate level (much like Strike) but simply due to her fear of being hurt. Don't get me wrong, I do think she has battled her experience consciously after rape but I think Matthew has remained a well-know beacon, a safe place that has known her before and the intimacy she had with him is for her a very serious ground to reveal now to someone else, someone who has not know her before. She would have perhaps a huge fear, a discomforting so large should she determine she has to move on from something so well known and someone for whom she has felt something so long.

I would add, that Robin has serious issues with self-worth because of the constant belittleling and pychological abuse she has suffered from Matthew. She THOUGHT she wanted stability after the rape, returning to Matthew and taking up where they left (so to speak) was almost an act of defiance, of not letting the rape interfere with how her life would have played out without this horrific experience. Ironically, I would say, that Robin - although having successfully battled all the obvious horrors of the rape - is fixated on a sense of self pre-trauma; so much so, that her sense of self is intrecately tied to her being together with Matthew. This explains why she is having such a hard time envisioning herself apart from him. Not only, because he stood by her (which is, of course, not true), and not only because he represents stabililty, but mainly because he is the only one who knew her pre-trauma.

01/17/2018 - 12:22 am

LindMea said

What's everyone's favourite moment between Robin and Strike?

Every single page of Career of Evil pretty much 😉

06/19/2017 - 4:28 pm

This will be a mumbo-jumbo post as I've been lurking for the past few days around topics here and, firstly, I have to give it to you guys, you are by far the most uplifting and resourceful discussion-board I have ever seen. Forgive my babbling here, I am positive I'll omit some of things and forget other. I've seen some wonderful people posting and discussing on tumblr so, in a lack of a better introduction I just meant to say I am really happy to be here. Now onto some CR analysis.
What I see as most uplifting factor here is the fact they have what each of them needs in their relationship. Strike's upbringing and early years have passed in a shadow of shame, disdain and worry. He, as I see it, has been scarred permanently by his mother's lifestyle, and though hardened by ordeals, he has not escaped his demons. Where one would succumb to a life of crime and abuse, maybe even drug usage (though I mean no disrespect to those who have battled the addiction themselves) he has put up such a wall between himself and the world, he has found a focus in action that emits his temper's outbursting effect and his intellectual analysis. He is a stable being but he is far from opened. He can be overwhelmed but he craves control, not in a manipulative way (as Matthew, I believe does, complementing his inferiority issue), though in truth I see him having little to no good opinion of himself. Once the whole masculinity is put aside, what remains shows us a vivid and timid man, here and there willing to have a gentle word, but on the whole he has been playing and believes himself a soldier, not only of words and action but also of spirit and heart. I believe life has made him not difficult or unpleasant (well...not entirely once his motives are known) but rather bitter due to his intentional ignore of what he needs and how he should change; he is a keen and able man, but his main point would be his difficult life he has led because of his family past and his own temper that goes beyond the pure "Men should never weep" rubbish. I think his relationship with his mother is also a key point regarding his own relationships with women and, considering the fact he had always been the one to be in control, to take care, to solve and to enable, not necessarily to provide but rather to be at the top of the game before the game even began, this had made him redundant in mundane ways of trusting another being completely and utterly.
Robin is, and hallelujah to that, one of the most beautifully crafted female characters I have had the pleasure to find in contemporary works, especially in crime fiction (though I must admit my own redundancy); She is a worthy, intelligent being endowed with a compassion that stems both from her own superior nature and her unhappy circumstances at Uni. What I began on my blog as a response to a question by a fellow blogger was an analysis of her motives regarding her coming back to Matthew I'll just repeat here. I think she is unwilling to face people on an intimate level (much like Strike) but simply due to her fear of being hurt. Don't get me wrong, I do think she has battled her experience consciously after rape but I think Matthew has remained a well-know beacon, a safe place that has known her before and the intimacy she had with him is for her a very serious ground to reveal now to someone else, someone who has not know her before. She would have perhaps a huge fear, a discomforting so large should she determine she has to move on from something so well known and someone for whom she has felt something so long.
Both of them are guarding themselves from one another (Strike and Robin) romantically, intimately I mean, simply because they have known the value the other possesses. One has what the other lacks but both of them would have to work at those bits and pieces they have left unmoved for years.

06/14/2017 - 11:00 am

Pamela Fizler said

LindMea said

I think she just went down the path of the least resistance. She thought that cancelling the wedding required a lot of effort and she didn't feel like dealing with that. Under time-pressure, and under the romantic mood caused by the royal wedding, she agreed to go along with it.

Yeah, I agree that cancelling the wedding would have felt like such an ordeal for Robin – her parents losing their deposits, having to tell everyone what had happened, facing disappointment from so many people – and worse, the perceived humiliation. Add on top of that having to find a new place to live and separate her and Matthew’s lives… it was just too much, I think. She was already exhausted and tense from everything going on with the murderer, AND Strike was being kind of a jerk. I don’t blame her for giving in, especially with Matthew being contrite and begging her to take him back, I can’t be sure I wouldn’t have done the same thing in her situation. (Although I sure hope not!!)
And I agree that she regretted her decision. It was so sad reading about her having to pretend to be excited about getting married, and she didn’t smile ONCE during the entire DAY of her wedding?? I feel like someone in her life should have noticed how miserable she was and SAID something to her about it.

Yes, agree 100%, and i will be really
disappointed if she marries Matthew. Not only because she likes Cormoran but because she is unhappy with this wedding. I think it's for convenience now and that she isn't being honesty with herself. If it happens would be a waste of time and history, because we all know it's already a failed marriage. If she focus her independence in first place i will be happy. I wanna these 2 together very much, but think they need more time.

I think Corby is a beautiful shipp name 😍

And need to say that read this topic was very nice!!

I agree with what you said and I honestly hope that even in the last minute something happens and the ceremony will be canceled or at least Robin realizes very soon (at the reception would be fine) what Matthew did with her phone and how once more he interfered with something that has to do with her work and her life and leaves him once and for all! It's pretty clear that she isn't happy with their relationship and she is supressing many things in order not to have problems with Matthew and I don't think that's at all healthy for a person! We already read plenty of drama between them and I don't think we need more! Cormoran and Robin aren't ready to get together and so I think they should stay single for the whole fourth book and try to rediscover parts of themselves that they seem to have lost and by the end of book five to make a move to come closer!

* If they do get married Cormoran could mention to Robin that he did leave her a voicemail but since he could manage to come he can say it to her personally but when he leaves Robin still wants to hear what he said so she searches her phone only to realize that there is nothing in her voicemail and all her calling history has been deleted, she puts 1+1 together, goes to ask her father if he called at some point and when he denies doing so everything becomes clear to her! She leaves quietly the reception goes to her parents house, leaves her wedding dress and wedding ring, takes her Land Rover and goes back to London to get her things from Matthew's apartment and goes to a nice hotel!

* Another option is that Cormoran does fall because he doesn't feel well and there is a break and Robin's mother get's a chance to speak to her daughter to say to her that she watched her during the ceremony and her reaction to Cormoran's presence and realized she isn't happy and engourages her to put an end to it before it is to late!

Pamela Fizler
05/30/2017 - 9:01 pm

LindMea said

Yes, agree 100%, and i will be really

I think Corby is a beautiful shipp name 😍

And need to say that read this topic was very nice!!

Ellie B.
04/08/2017 - 6:38 pm

Well, in my school or sometimes in France a boss can call his employees by their first name. It's not necessarily a two way street. We learn it early in France when we call our teacher Mr/Mrs and they call us by our first name (+ vous /tu which are marks of respect but it's a bit long to explain).

That's why it didn't shock me that much.

Besides, he doesn't call her by name very often, does he?

(Simple curiosity, where are you all from?)

04/07/2017 - 1:31 pm

I messed up the formatting under 35, sorry. 🙁

04/07/2017 - 1:25 pm

LindMea said

I can definitely see Charlotte stirring up trouble between them! I couldn't bear to make it happen so soon, though... I just want everyone to be happy, all the time! I have to force myself to add conflict to stories, lol 🙂

For Rowling it seems to come very naturally. 🙂 Her books are full of conflicts and awkward situations. 🙂 (Which is a little bit too much for me as well sometimes, but this is part of the reasons why her books are so popular, I think.)

LindMea said Not only does he knock over her flowers, he also solves the murder because of them! It was her lily of the valley (or whichever kind? Can't remember) being out of season that made him realize Laing had no alibi.

Oh, right, really! And in the first book, the water drops were almost as important in solving the mystery as the lily of the valley in the third.

And I just remembered that he knocked a kidney dish to the floor in the hospital as well, when he visited Robin. 🙂

04/07/2017 - 1:16 pm

Ellie B. said

Yes, I understand that there are still some situations when one is called by Mr/Mrs and second name. About what I was wondering was not quite this but that he didn't call Robin by her second name, too. (Or, if he preferred to call her by her first name, he didn't offer her to call him by his first name as well. This would be the way how it would work in my language.) I would have imagined that either both call each other by their first names, or both call each other formally. Does the principal in your example call his (/her) adult colleagues by their first names (even though they address him formally)?

Ellie B. said FYI, in France it would be expected, we don't call bosses by their first name, usually. Although it's changing.

And - same question here - does a French boss call the employees by their first names in turn?

Ellie B.
04/06/2017 - 7:16 pm

Hey benedek!
I'm french so not a native speaker either, but I've lived in the UK for the past three years or so. From what I've gathered, Mr. .... would be used in a formal way. For example, I work in a school and no one would ever think of calling the principal by his first name. I'm not entirely sure it would be the same everywhere, but here you go . FYI, in France it would be expected, we don't call bosses by their first name, usually. Although it's changing.

04/05/2017 - 1:01 am

I see that for some reasons the topics are not that active lately.

Let me try to come up with some things.

First, I always wanted to ask you native English speakers something about the first book:

Until Strike got drunk because of the news that Charlotte is getting married, that is until 2-3 weeks, Strike called Robin Robin and Robin called him Mr. Strike. Is it customary so in England? For me it is a bit strange. Maybe it was perfectly normal a couple of decades ago in my language as well but I think not any more.
Is it because Robin is a female and Strike a male? Or is it because Strike is (/was) the boss and Robin the employee? Or just because Strike is such an old-fashioned guy? (Do you also find him old-fashioned?)
Or probably the combination of all three?

I'm in Canada, not the UK, but it does seem a little odd to me as well. Thinking back, I've always called bosses by their first names. But then, most of my jobs have been in retail and food service, and then in an academic setting - I've only ever worked in one office-type job. Maybe Robin is just way more professional than I am! It could be that their disastrous introduction to each other, with the breast-grabbing and what not, made her instinctively try to put a bit of distance between them.

Strike does seem a little old-fashioned sometimes - like when he insists on using paper maps instead of GPS, for example. But I suppose he has a reason for that.

I hadn't noticed about the flowers! Not only does he knock over her flowers, he also solves the murder because of them! It was her lily of the valley (or whichever kind? Can't remember) being out of season that made him realize Laing had no alibi. Perhaps him knocking the flowers over is an echo of how he is a source of tension in Robin's relationship with Matthew? Or maybe each instance of the flowers indicates something different about his relationship with her. I am going to go away and think about this for a while.

~~~ Follow me on Tumblr | Find my Strike Series Fanfic on A03 ~~~

04/04/2017 - 7:28 am

Strike is constantly knocking over flowers of Robin. (OK, at least twice.) Does it have a meaning? What do you think?
In the first book there was also a vase full of roses knocked over.
It seems a favorite motive of Rowling, isn't it?

04/04/2017 - 7:24 am

LindMea said
Does anyone have any cute Cormobin fanfic prompts that they would like me to write while I have the free time?!?!

If I was able to write fanfic (having English as mother tongue and having talent) I would write about their first working day together (after Robin returning from her honeymoon - I still have not decided whether she'll go on the honeymoon at all with Matthew, but let's suppose she does or at least that she doesn't let Strike know that she didn't go). As you probably can guess from my previous posts I think they would start very professionally but very soon they get more intimate and hug each other (they cannot help) and they are reluctant to finish when the telephone rings. Strike answers it (or Robin does and then gives it to Strike) - it is Charlotte letting Strike know that she had a baby who is open for adoption and there is a nice couple who wants the baby. She tells Strike that it is probably his and if he is interested he should hurry up to somewhere far, where the baby is... or something. He gets very confused, thinking only about the baby and almost forgetting about Robin.

04/04/2017 - 7:10 am

I see that for some reasons the topics are not that active lately.

Let me try to come up with some things.

Or probably the combination of all three?

03/28/2017 - 5:17 pm

Ellie B. said

For the first bit: a hundred times: yes!

And, it's very valid good point you're raising here. She is indeed different. Even physically, he says (well, think, really) that Robin is not beautiful but sexy. I don't know about you, but I'd take sexy over beautiful every time! (btw, Tom Burke matches this description, if you ask me)

Oh boy, Tom Burke is SO sexy! I cannot wait until November so that we can see him as Strike. He may not fit the physical description accurately, but he's a good actor and SO nice to look at.

~~~ Follow me on Tumblr | Find my Strike Series Fanfic on A03 ~~~

Ellie B.
03/28/2017 - 5:00 pm

LindMea said

My absolute favourite part of this is that she plans to PORE OVER this exchange later. In SOLITUDE. She has it so bad!!

Now I'm hoping that we see him be uncertain about where he stands with Robin in later novels. Perhaps because she's not the usual "total fucking flake" (as Polworth puts it) that he tends to attract, he'll be less sure about how to approach her or gauge her level of interest.

For the first bit: a hundred times: yes!