Cormoran/Robin Relationship | Discuss Cormoran Strike! | Discuss

Cormoran/Robin Relationship
07/31/2018 - 3:50 pm

I'm totally up for the wait as well! Ten books of pining, count me in!
I would hate it though if Matthew would die. I'd like Robin to make a concious decision to leave him, to choose for herself. Not even because of Strike, but because she knows she and Matthew will never be happy together.

People who die youg tend to become saints. I would also hate that to happen to Matthew. He does not deserve that 😉

07/24/2018 - 12:21 pm

I don't mind Matthew that much... Okay I don't like him, but I don't hate him like most of you guys on this site lol. In fact, we should all be damn glad that Matt exists.

I personally think Robin x Cormoran is a definite thing that is going to happen, but not in the foreseeable future. That's a good thing! The longer Matthew is in the picture, the more Strike novels we get. You see, I don't see JKR making Robin and Cormoran get together unless its the final climax of the series. As much as I love fluff, how dull would it be if in book 6 we're dealing with Robin and Corm's domestic issues? No thank you. Got enough of that with Matt.

Instead, we can brew in [torturous] tension and get go witness Strike and Robin naturally melt into their romantic feelings for each other. How amazing will their first kiss be if we waited 10 books for it? I am personally up for the wait.

[...]

I agree with that Matthew is going to die. I never thought of it myself, but the moment I read it I was like "YES! That makes sense!". If Matt dies, there'll be plenty of grief and other emotions for Robin to feel and Strike to comfort her. Oh, happy shipping people! We have got a whole bunch of years ahead of us.

07/05/2018 - 8:50 pm

Hello everyone,

I am pretty new here, but I would like to share my opinion about Cormoran's and Robin's relationship.
Let's get to it, Matthew is going to die. Why do I think this? Because Robin is not the type of girl/woman who would cheat on her husband. Just remember how upset she was when he "admitted" what he did back in uni. And I think she does love him, that's why she forgave him that he cheated on her. If she was really in love with Strike why didn't she say to Matt that sorry I will not forgive you? That would have been the perfect excuse. But she forgave and then they married. So now they are all in Rowling's hands. Matthew is either going to do something bad, which will result in a divorce, or he is gotta die.
What do you think? 😀

06/30/2018 - 5:30 pm

Welcome, Mysterylover! This board has been great fun for me and it's also quite thought-provoking at times. A few members are so passionate about their points of view that it's really a testament to the characters that JKR has created, to inspire such great depth of feeling.

My views in a nutshell -- love the series and can't wait for Lethal White. Can't stand Matthew, but I believe he will continue to be a part of the story for longer than most people would like (relationships are complicated things!). Adore the television version and even though Cormoran and Robin are physically slightly different than in the books, they really nailed it! Cannot imagine anyone else in the roles.

Cheers...

Thanks, spotlessmind!

I totally agree about that even though the actors are slightly different from the physical descriptions in the books they embody the essence of the characters. I love that we have both the book and the tv series. The books give us so much of the interior life of the characters and the TV series makes tangible the physical locations. I love it.

06/30/2018 - 3:01 am

Cheers...

06/29/2018 - 11:57 pm

Hi everyone!

New person here on the StrikeFans board. Have loved JKR's HP books and only recently found out she had written some mystery novels under a pseudonym. Well, long story short after downloading the books and gobbling them up within two weeks, I happily realized the shows are broadcasting on Cinemax in the States and have started watching them too.

Of course I immediately started looking to see if others were discussing the books, characters, and show online and found this awesome board!

Some of my favorite topics so far...

Robin and Cormoran... when are they going to realize they're meant for each other!
And of course what will happen in book 4!

I agree with some of the sentiments so far that Robin and Cormoran probably won't come together in the next novel, Lethal White. I think they both need to be aware of their feelings for each other in order for that to happen. While Cormoran is fairly aware of his feelings for Robin (even if he suppresses them), Robin is nowhere near ready to admit to herself how she feels. Though she knows she needs their working partnership and she relies on him heavily in a more than friendship kind of way. Even more than she relies on Cormoran. Otherwise, she wouldn't be nearly so disappointed when he doesn't back her up on some of her strong moral convictions especially going to try and protect Alyssa's children.

I'm hopeful that in the next book that she'll at least become more aware of her feelings and consciously aware of the romantic nature of them even if she doesn't act on them or tries to suppress them.

I also love the discussion on why she went back to Matthew. I think it's not so much that he's the safe bet but that her natural empathy (in the face of his emotional devastation) just couldn't really put the final bullet in their relationship coffin. I think once she realizes how Matthew has manipulated the situation (blocking Strike's number etc) she'll start to think twice about the marriage.

I also wonder if JKR wants to explore with one of her characters the "starter marriage" that she herself had before meeting her "true love" that she's been married to for the last 17 some years. Her first marriage lasted barely a year before they separated. I bet she has Robin and Matthew married for at least a year or so before they finally break up.

I also agree with the folks who have said that Charlotte is sure to reappear at some point ... most likely after Cormoran and Robin first get together. I feel like personally she would reappear when she's been accused of a murder or some kind of crime and reaches out to Cormoran as the only person who can help her. And of course he can't say "no" and that will end up being a strain on Cormoran and Robin's burgeoning relationship. But in the end obviously she won't be successful in breaking them up. Wink

Whew! I've rambled enough...

06/19/2018 - 7:36 am

As many of you here know I've always thought that Cormoran and Robin will get together very soon. I thought this because I found that the last book (CoE) was full of hints that Robin is also attracted to Cormoran by the end of CoE (the other way round has been obvious from the very beginning), and, as Caitlin explained right below my comment it is pointless even stupid that two adults who are attracted to each other won't get together. I couldn't accept an explanation like 'the tension has to be kept so that the books remain interesting'. I thought a good writer can probably find ways to write about a couple just as interestingly as about two opposite sex colleagues, or, if not, and has the intention to keep them separated for a while he/she would at least not pack the third book with descriptions from which it is obvious that the female hero is also attracted to the male hero a lot. My first prediction was that C and R will get together either in book 4 or 5, but when I noticed the epigraph to the last chapter of CoE (A redhead a redhead before the kiss) I was sure they will kiss still on the day of the wedding. And one more thing: there was this Twitter header of Rowling about a threatening crow which many of us identified as an allegory of Charlotte coming back to Cormoran. Now I thought that Rowling would bring back Charlotte once Cormoran and Robin got together so that she can keep up tension (and also because this would presumably make Charlotte mad). So I saw the header as kind of a support to my theory (i.e. that C and R get together in book 4).

Well, since then we have seen the TV adaptation of CoE where the ending really didn't suggest that Robin was happy to see Cormoran for any other reasons than her chance getting back her job and/or seeing a moderately nice colleague from work, and she seemed quite a satisfied bride.

In addition to this, last week I read an interview with Strike producer Ruth Kenley-Letts who said things like:

"I would put money on a bet that she will make us all wait for quite a few books before that relationship between the two of them is resolved.”

I don’t really want them to end up together because that would ruin everything, wouldn’t it? You can’t mix work with pleasure. We all know that that’s a really bad idea. So, I’m sure Jo will really enjoy spinning those plays.”

Now while seeing the tv adaptation of CoE wasn't able to ruin my theory about the future relationship of C and R, I am significantly less confident about it now, after reading this interview. I would try to explain it to myself like oh, she doesn't know, doesn't get it, but the truth is that she was explicitly asked if she has gotten to read the fourth story yet, which she answers: I can't say. I'm sorry. Undeniably, it means that she most likely got to read it. Otherwise she would have said she did't read it. Now there is a slight chance that there is a conspiracy between the team (including Rowling) not to reveal the big news that C and R will continue their investigations in book 4 as a couple until the official announcement, but this is not too realistic. Would she make a fool out of herself just for the sake of a few weeks extra tension? Unfortunately, I don't really believe so. She even goes on and expands on the topic: she explains why she personally doesn't find it a good idea for our heroes to get together (because it would ruin their working relationship). Hmm.

Although she got one thing wrong for sure (but would that mean that she got the thing about the C-R relationship wrong? unlikely, but who knows): she said that "I think there will be a number of books. She’s been quoted as saying that she’s got 7 to 9 Strike books that she can imagine writing." I remembered that R talked about more books, and indeed I found this quote.

“The first time I met Tom, I said, ‘Well I hope to God you do enjoy playing this character because I think I’ve got at least another 10 books in me, so you could be locked in for quite a few years here,'”

This is a quote from last September. So unless she said something else in another interview since then, "at least another ten" is Rowling's latest figure. I agree that this is not a big mistake, but I think if I was head of drama of Bronte productions (or how is it called) I would be aware of this.

Well, all in all, no matter how I try to see it differently, the conclusion is that C and R don't seem to get together for at least a few books (but at least not in Lethal White). I must say I'm quite disappointed and losing my interest in the series all together. Nevertheless, I'm sure I'll still read Lethal White at least to see how she "spins" those threads. But many more books with pining is clearly not my thing.

02/28/2018 - 4:40 pm

Dryadia4776 said
I suposse the most of the people in this forum read Harry Potter books. Do you remember when we read Ron/Hermione kiss? In the last book. I do not say we have to wait to the last book but JK Rowling is going to make us wait for a long time. There are alot ot things that will be happen until they will be a romantic couple.

I also recall that the Harry Potter books started with them at age 10 and where books for young readers so it's logical that she didn't focus much in the romance between the main characters on the other side the Strike novels are for adults so I can't see she has any reason to drag this situation between Cormoran and Robin for very long! Cormoran and Robin can't stay single forever waiting one another and it's pointless to have a man and woman in love with each other and putting them every time with different people just to keep the story going and besides we read about it for the first three books! If she is as talented as we all believe she will manage to bring them together and keep the story interesting!

02/28/2018 - 3:43 pm

02/03/2018 - 10:19 pm

Impulse said
I agree that this is a great place I look forward to the discussions, I also agree about cormoran having a hero complex, maybe it's a j.k thing, was it like that in the casual vacancy? (I couldn't get through a page of that, despite finding the whole book free online).

The casual vacancy was J.K Rowling's first book I've read and loved it! I don't know though to which of the characters you are referring to...

Impulse said
I think both cormoran and robin are great characters, and I'm really loving some of the supporting characters like shanker, and cormoran's brother, and robins brother and etc.
And something I've been happy to be proved wrong on is that j.k can actually do romance, I use to be like she could probably do a lot of genres but romance oh god no I wouldn't read a romance novel by her, so I've been pleasantly surprised with this series.

I'm curious to see if she will manage to develop it since until now it's all in some tiny gestures and thoughts!

Impulse said
However I do hope they stay focused on the mysteries, I think a Coe balance would be great.

And that's the reason I insist that a marriage between Robin and Matthew is a waste of time and pages! If she wants to adress some married life problems even domestic violence and get them through a divorce a crime novel isn't the right place to do this despite that she wants to make her characters ordinary people in order for us to feel closer to them or if this storyline will be given to us book by book in a few pages!

02/03/2018 - 7:00 pm

02/03/2018 - 1:22 pm

Something has been bothering me regarding Cormoran's feelings for Robin, and I'd like to know what you guys think of this.
So, we know, that by this point C is aware of feelings for Robin. Although he does not know that it is love, he seems to sense that his understanding and appreatiation for her personally, as well as her commitment and fascination for the job (and himself) are the grounds for his feelings, which goes far beyond being simply attracted.

We also know, that C is frequently chastising himself for thinking about her that way, at one point equating a potential relationship to self-sabotage.

YET, when Robin and Matthew break up, he decides (as we later learn from his frustration and dissappointment about them getting back together) to BREAK UP with Elin.
But - why would he do that??

Breaking up with Elin for a single Robin would have only ever made sense if he - at some point - had decided to give a relationship with Robin a try. We know this, because - as soon as the (however remote) possibility of them getting together is out of the window because she goes back to Matt - he basically resolves a beautiful woman is better than no woman. By extension, this means he DID plan to act on his feelings - (and this is the good part) without knowing how Robin feels about him!

I suppose it's a question that I don't have an answer to... I could only guess but I'm sure I'm wrong! Cormoran feeling save with Robin again with Matthew wants to put an end to his relationship with Elin because it's not what he wants!
I also couldn't understand why does it matter that he didn't break up with her before going to Robin's wedding, he could call her and meet with her after his return to Masham without mentioning to Shanker that he forgott to put an end to his relationship!

02/03/2018 - 10:58 am

But - why would he do that??

01/27/2018 - 5:55 pm

Shapeburn said
Reading up a bit more about Nick & Nora and honestly this is perfect:

Nick Charles character, described in the book as overweight, out of shape and a heavy drinker.

Sound like anyone we know?!

Imho this settles it, Cormoran & Robin will be a married detective couple in no time 😉

Cormoran isn't a heavy drinker he isn't Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole lol
Didn't know that the serie was based also in books!
And it will be absolutely amazing if Robin is single in book four and five, they start a relationship by the end of book five and get married in the seventh book!
After watching Tom with Holly I'm even more desperate for Cormoran and Robin to get together! 🙂

01/27/2018 - 5:06 pm

Shapeburn said
Reading up a bit more about Nick & Nora and honestly this is perfect:

Sound like anyone we know?!

I really hope so 🙂 that would be perfect!

01/27/2018 - 4:57 pm

Reading up a bit more about Nick & Nora and honestly this is perfect:

Sound like anyone we know?!

01/26/2018 - 1:44 am

The Nick and Nora reference is mentioned here:

By Tom Edge not JK but he's spent quite a lot of time with her discussing these stories so...

To whoever first brought this up, Thank you!

I always got the vibe that I was reading the back story, or the prequels to a 'famous married detectives' book series and to know that this was a legit thought is very comforting!

01/25/2018 - 1:12 pm

I also read about this TV show about the married couple solving mysteries in connection with Rowling and the Strike series. And I do remember where: in a post at goodreads.com, by "Joanne". We also have a Joanne commenting here from time to time, I don't know if she is the same one, but I guess so, at least from their style it could be.... (knowledgable and involved). So she wrote on goodreads that "Rowling has stated that she wants this series to be a Nick and Nora [Charles] type of mystery series. A lot of people may not know what that refers to but "Nick and Nora" was a very successful movie series (1934-1941) - about a married couple that solved crimes."
It can be that after reading Joanne's comment, I even mentioned Nick and Nora here - could it be, Caitlin, that you only remember my post? Or maybe the original one of Joanne? A few month ago I put some time into it and was really trying the find the original interview (or tweet or whatever) of Rowling but I couldn't find anything. Now I'm not implying that this does not exist, I find it even likely that Rowling was inspired by this show, it would even support my theory. :-)) But I just couldn't find it. Now, if somebody here was smarter / more lucky than me, could you please link me the source? I would be also very much interested.

I've read it in a page but I can't recall how I found it, what I was looking for! I read about the serie but at the time I didn't know the concept of the serie it was mentioned and didn't bother to look! I've tried to find it again but now the results are different because the books became a tv-show so any attempt shows posts about the Strike series!

01/25/2018 - 12:23 pm

I remember reading this as well, and I look for the source every so often - but I've never been able to find it! I hope someone else has better luck than me.

~~~ Follow me on Tumblr | Find my Strike Series Fanfic on A03 ~~~