Cliffhanger or not? | Discuss Cormoran Strike! | Discuss

Cliffhanger or not?
03/09/2018 - 2:46 am

irnbrugirl66 said

It definitely came across like that on first look that why I was so cross too. But there are some little touches of book Robin, in her contemplative moments but she doesn't vocalise exactly what she is thinking and could be ambiguous just as her thoughts are at the end of the book - she doesn't look pleased/excited about her wedding dress fitting, Matthew and Robin in the Land Rover angled in different directions and Robin has her earphones in to cut herself off from him, when she's sat on her bed with her rollers in she again is not a happy bride, she looks down the aisle at the door in the church. The only times we see her looking happy or bride-like is in front of everyone else and in the book she says she is faking her excitement. She just needs more time strong enough to leave Matthew. Is she is beaming because she has her job back then that confirms she loves her job more than she does Matthew, as marrying him certainly doesn't make her smile. Once she finds out he tried to sabotage her getting her job back that could be it - "I'm not giving my job up for anyone."

I'm sorry but I can't reconcile the image I had of Robin while reading the book with the image of Robin walking down the aisle beaming and leaning at Matthews shoulder and giving a nod at Cormoran like "ok thanks for coming!" I just can't!
Not even the smile she gives Cormoran while saying "I do" to him was as I expected it to be, it seemed so fake and forced nothing to do with beaming Robin and her ringing voice as described in the book!
There must be something else that's coming and the only logical explanation I can give to it is that Robin indeed had a "kairos moment" and maybe she realized that Cormoran is work and she really loves Matthew!
If there is something else you can think of about why there's a difference at that particular moment between book Robin and tv Robin...
Yes I know what was said in the book but since she wasn't faking it (the bride that didn't smile once during the ceremony - book) why fake so much happiness and affection towards Matthew while they leave the church married?
Also tv-Robin despite having some moments to indicate that she might not be happy about getting married (now that I think better about it might be because she lost her job only and nonthing to do with the wedding because of how the wedding scene was directed) she was quite happy while going to the church, while at the altar and of course while she was leaving the church at her husband's side!

03/09/2018 - 1:14 am

Tv-Robin had nothing to do with book-Robin in the second episode! Maybe that's why I hate the wedding scene so much! tv!

03/08/2018 - 11:29 am

irnbrugirl66 said
At first, I was angry with TV Robin (or Tom Edge) - it was that smile at the end. But then watched again and realised Cormoran did himself no favours in this episode -' Swedish. Pretty. Doesn't give a fuck.' Just after Robin's covered him with his coat and offered him her deposit money for 'us'. This was his "There is no 'we' " moment from the book. He knows what he's done too as he is so upset and goes to her house the next day to find Robin engaged again.

I'm not convinced that she's revealed her big opener for 'Lethal' though.

Tv-Robin had nothing to do with book-Robin in the second episode! Maybe that's why I hate the wedding scene so much! I don't trust Rowling at all to be honest and I'm not concidering to read Lethal White if that what I'm gonna read is what I saw on tv!

03/07/2018 - 11:53 pm

I'm not convinced that she's revealed her big opener for 'Lethal' though.

03/05/2018 - 11:03 am

Kaqu said

I feel that JK Rowling is stretching the romance plot over the 8 or 10 books she is writing in this series like she would do in one single romance novel. So the first stage is the attraction, then something gets in the way (the marriage), then a lot of misunderstanding, there is a big twist two/thirds of the story and in the final one or two books the romance plot is resolved. At least, that's how I hope it will be. As I said here before, I like it when a love story takes a lot of time. I know it's not to everyone's liking, but I expect Rowling to be the kind of person who likes 19th century romances where a lot of things need to happen before the two lovers finally get together (Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, North and South (the Gaskell one) etc.)

But maybe they don't get together at all. All your sleuthing concerning the Endymion myth has made me think that Rowling may take us in a completely different direction. (Although I hope not. I love Robin and Cormoran to get together in the end).

And for a quick fix I'll just keep rereading your story on AO3 😉

I can't imagine the BBC ending the series this way without Rowling's consent. She probably hadn't planned to take so much time to finish the book, and wanted to save us from our misery 😛

I'm happy you liked it but I'm done! She was shit stirring for three years to give me that? No thank you! I feel so ridiculed by her right now I can't even handle it! She could just add two freaking pages in Career of Evil and end with the wedding! If I wanted a Jane Eyre novel I would actually be reading Jane Eyre!
I don't care if Robin and Cormoran get together because to be honest she doesn't deserve him! She should stay forever with Matthew for all I care but right now I don't want her even near Cormoran!

03/05/2018 - 8:54 am

Btw: Did anyone else suspect JKR encouraging the BBC adaptation to be less ambiguous? I mean, we all know that she is fairly involved in the process and I can't imagine them shooting the wedding like that without her express approval.

And for a quick fix I'll just keep rereading your story on AO3 😉

03/05/2018 - 8:22 am

Kaqu said
I must say I'm glad the cliffhanger, that turned out not to be a cliffhanger, is resolved now. It makes the wait for Lethal White a little less frustrating. I am even happy they ended the series this way, I would have found it more frustrating if they didn't. And I wasn't counting on Robin cancelling the marriage anyway (though I loved your version, Kalliope!). And after all, it's just marriage. Does anyone still believe in all that 'till death do us part' stuff? I give it two more books, and then we and Robin are finished with Matthew Wink

you're such a sweetheart, Kaqu! <3 (replied t your comment on A03 btw)

But you're right. I, too, feel more relaxed about LW. Also, it's more about the crime now, so that's not entirely bad.

03/05/2018 - 7:41 am

03/05/2018 - 7:30 am

Can't say I really care about Lethal White anymore!

I feel a bit frustrated too. She made us care about that detail (because we all KNOW with jkr it's ALWAYS about the details!) when, really, we would have been perfectly happy and patiently awaiting Lethal Without if the ending had been less ambiguous.

03/04/2018 - 11:08 pm

Yeah well... according to the TV series, there's no cliffhanger after all.. bullocks.

Yes and I can't believe I wasted hours of my life in the last three years for that! I'm beyond angry! She could just finish the bloody wedding scene in the book as they did in the serie! Can't say I really care about Lethal White anymore!

03/04/2018 - 10:07 pm

02/20/2018 - 8:29 pm

Impulse said
And for you guys asking why it stopped where it did and why couldn't we have a couple more pages, well we don't know what's next, it's a wedding so something's bound to go down.
Like say Mathew is killed a couple more pages in or something, then something more juicier would make the wait even longer, and I'm pretty sure j.k hinted at that saying she left us in the best place so it wouldn't be too hard a wait or something.

I hope you are right and something goes down and the long wait will be worth it!

02/20/2018 - 8:56 am

You could send your fanfic in this site under the fanfiction section as your friend LindMea did, did she forgot to mention it?

I know about that, and it's so kind of you to say that - thank you! We should probably wait, however, how the story fares with everyone one it's completed (especially Cormoran Strike and Robin Ellacott - Forum Versions) before we bring that up 😉

02/19/2018 - 12:38 am

I've now decided it is some type of cliffhanger just from the way it's written, it's weird though because when I first read it I didn't read it as a cliffhanger. Just an abrupt ending and a resolution to the wedding because I didn't think it would go ahead.

02/18/2018 - 5:36 pm

Hey guys, I know that self-advertising is not the best of styles, but a while ago I teased that I had some ideas how jo could resolve the cliffhanger and that I was writing a fanfiction about it, covering the days leading up to the wedding.... so, in case you want to check it out, I just posted the first chapter on a03 (massive thanks to LindMea!!) and will update every other day or so. I'd love to hear your comments (but please don't be mean, it's my first fanfic and it actually started as a sort of case study of possible scenarios lol).

02/18/2018 - 5:05 pm

02/14/2018 - 4:30 am

irnbrugirl66 said
I've reread CofE A LOT - the more I do, the more I think Robin will not go through with the wedding.
1) She only goes back to Matthew because she's increasingly stuck at home and she's losing the self-confidence she's built up since working for Strike. Therefore, she feels there is no other option - she's overwhelmed by the thought of moving out.
2) Cormoran shows up to the wedding - she knows Charlotte was torturing him about getting married, he did nothing. She gets married and he rushes to make it up to her.
3)JKR cuts the vicar's speech so that all that is left is "'- do you part?' " to which Robin's response is " 'I Do' "

So my fingers are well and truly crossed she sees the light and doesn't put herself through any more awfulness with Matthew.

I can't read COE again it's pure torture even though for me it was the best one until now!

Robin's reasons for going back to Matthew are complicated but I believe that she deep down knows that she is not in love with him anymore but I don't know if that's enough for her to leave him at the altar (I would love that)

Yes maybe Cormoran's presence will make her see what she will lose if she marries Matthew and that she has other alternatives to follow.

For the life of me I can't remember what the vicar said I might re-read that part at some point before Lethal White gets published.

I really hope you are right! It will save us from unnecessary drama like fights between them all over again and a divorce and the stories can be focused on the crimes, how Robin and Cormoran will find their balance after going through so much all those years and how their relationship might develope while they work together.

02/14/2018 - 12:55 am

02/05/2018 - 5:20 pm

Which I think, having done that cliff hanger, I really owed it to the audience not to just leave (them) hanging for a flashback that might happen in chapter 15.

So, if she herself calls the ending a cliffhanger than I think it’s safe to say that it is a cliffanger. So the question in the title of this topic is satisfactorily answered, right?

Yes but I have other questions now! lol
Will be something important happen and she doesn't want to describe it in a flashback?
Wedding: Yes?
Wedding: No?
or
It's only about how Robin will go back to work?

02/05/2018 - 4:11 pm