Career of Evil (TV) | Discuss Cormoran Strike! | Discuss

Career of Evil (TV)
03/15/2018 - 5:20 pm

I didn't mean that Matthew should necessarily have made a scene during the ceremony once Strike appeared (and Robin turned towards him when she said her yes). I just thought that he should have shown some tension when leaving the church.... He just cannot calmly lean back in his armchair once his fiancée said yes thinking that he has just managed to secure himself a chained up slave for life.... It's not realistic for me.... Robin is still the same person as before the wedding, and their relationship is just as stable / unstable as before.

Matthew wasn't affraid to lose her to Strike he just blocked him to prevent him to reach Robin and she accepting to go back to work! I don't want to sound like a bitch but what do we know until now about Robin?
She hasn't big self confidence, she is kind and sweet but that makes her the perfect "victim" for Matthew! She was so stupid to go back to him after she found out he cheated on her for 18 months the moment she was recovering from rape so why would be Matthew be affraid of losing her since she went back to him despite what he has done? The only reason I was kind of supportive towards Robin was because I hoped she would do something before getting married but since she didn't I can't say I have much sympathy for her!
I know that out there are many women that are in relationships that are abusive in many ways and I respect them and wish them the best but Robin left and had the chance to free herself and motives to stay free but she decided to go back so I can't respect her for her choice!
I didn't expect her to fall in Cormoran's arms or Cormoran to stop her wedding with a love declaration but I hope his presence would work for her like a wake-up call for her and she would act and act not the way we saw she did!

03/15/2018 - 2:43 pm

03/15/2018 - 11:31 am

So for me it didn't fit at all that he was shown so happy and unconcerned....

Matthew's reaction is realistic! The smile he gives Cormoran is that of triumph! He did everything in his power for nothing to interfere to his wedding with Robin that he deleted calls and blocked Cormoran! We might all expected that he would be so mad at Robin and he would react right there but on the other side that would make him a loser and he would have given the victory to Cormoran by leaving Robin!

Sure, that bothered me a lot, too! But I thought maybe I should try to assume that Robin is indeed in love with Matthew and doesn't care for Strike (other than as a colleague, or maybe a friend) so maybe I was wrong and the creators of the series are right.... But they just cannot be right because they got Matthew's reactions wrong, too.

In my opinion they didn't get Matthew's reaction wrong! After he was stony-faced for some seconds he decided how to proceed! He could make a scene or go to the finish line and be the winner, he went for the second option!
As for Robin there must be a reason why it was directed this way! They are professionals after all! They got everything else right so why not this also? They were given the opening pages of the next book for some reason and if you don't have another explenation I concider that Robin was unhappy only because of the loss of her job and Strike being there making everything ok again was the reason she changed her mood!

03/15/2018 - 7:52 am

Despite that I concidered the whole wedding scene wrong I believe that Matthew's smile has something to do with " You came but didn't do anything about it she is my wife now so go and suck it!

Well, I don't think that getting married is such a big cut off point in a person's life nowadays as it was say a hundred years ago. In fact, I think it's almost nothing. Robin can decide to leave Matthew any moment after they got married just as before. So realistically I think Matthew should have just as many reasons to feel threatened from Strike's appearance as before the "yes". And I do think that the fact that Robin didn't turn towards him (but towards Strike) when she said yes should be a reason for annoyance. Even if he didn't believe that it means anything else than joy over her work prospect. (But knowing how jealous he is, he probably had further thoughts...)

So for me it didn't fit at all that he was shown so happy and unconcerned....

What bothered me more though is Robin's reactions... She seemed happy and in love while going down the aisle at Matthew's side and I feel like I read the whole book wrong!

03/14/2018 - 12:17 pm

Two more things about the last episode:

In the TV, Strike fires Robin before he finds out who the killer is. In the book, it happens after that (and I've always thought it had a relevance).... Why is that, what do you think? Or does it have a relevance at all, in your opinion?

(As opposed to Robin) in the episode Strike seems to be really in love by now. I think about the scene when Robin went back to Matthew and Strike dreamed about her mother talking to him about love, and about the scene with Brittany, when he just can't help smiling when saying Robin's name. By the way, do you think that in the TV Strike only decided to go to the wedding when he talked to Brittany? It seemed so, right?

In the episode so many things that seemed to be significand to the emotions of the characters and the plot just aren't there or were replaced with something else! What I found also annoying is that they made Matthew more important than he really is! In the books he is just Robin's annoying fiance but in the series he is the one to be send the finger like WTF! Also something I noticed is that they "paint" him with more subtle colors to the point that if I haven't read the books I would have felt sorry for him!

03/14/2018 - 12:07 pm

So I finally had a chance to watch the episode.

In addition to what was already discussed here, I noticed that Matthew is also laughing quite pleased when they are leaving the church. This I find strange, because even if Robin won't leave him immediately and throw herself into the arms of Strike, he still should find the presence of him somewhat threatening, don't you think? He has always been jealous of Strike and now that he appears so dramatically - and his fiancée says yes turning towards Strike - I would really expect him to be at least a little bit disturbed. Not to talk about his nice little action with Robin's phone. Or do I misinterpret his smile? Do you see some nervousness in it?

And Robin's nod.... Brrrr..... For me it is so formal, lack of real warmth, something one would give to a valued, but not really close acquaintance.... But maybe it's just a cultural difference....

Well, I definitely didn't like this episode, I think it misinterpreted the book....

I tried to justify Robin's actions during the third book but in the episode I really disliked her character to the point to wish she isn't going to be near Cormoran anymore!
Nothing was as described in the book! Her smile and "I do" had nothing to do with what I've imagined while reading CoE! She wasn't beaming and her "I do" was so flat!
I also hated the fact that of how Cormoran was left standing in the church like a beaten up puppy while she exits the church happily married to her tosser!

If the story continues in the book the way it was given in the episode I'm not interested at all to read it!

03/14/2018 - 11:42 am

Two more things about the last episode:

03/14/2018 - 10:40 am

So I finally had a chance to watch the episode.

(And I'm not talking about the mystery part here, because I didn't like that in the book either. But it's completely lame that they made Ray wear a fake beard. In one scene, his girlfriend even raked her fingers into it. No way she wouldn't know it was fake.)

02/26/2018 - 1:48 pm

I thought it was great, but am confused about all that hotel stuff with strike and that girl who was killed. I get it's to fill in for the letters but I can't make sense of it. And it seems the laing twist of him being there at the beginning has been taken out which is a shame. Still it's my favourite episode so far, and I can't wait until next week, especially the ending as the producers got the first couple pages of the fourth book to do that scene Apparently .

02/26/2018 - 7:49 am

I don't know about you, but I loved every minute of the first episode. It's always interesting to see what choices they've made to turn a book into a series. I realy missed Matthew's line in which he says that it was a difficult time for him as well, as an excuse for sleeping with Sarah. I think that is the most terrible thing he has said in all three books together.
And I'm wondering what happened to Elin. She isn't really necessary for the plot, I guess, unless she has a role to play in the upcoming books.
I am so looking forward to next week, but I also dread it, knowing that it will probably be a 2 year wait for us to see them again ...
And by the way, Holliday Grainger is a super brilliant actress. I was so moved by her tears (and I'm not easily moved, I have to admit). And the chemistry between her and Tom Burke ... it should really be illegal to show such things on tv LaughWink

02/18/2018 - 1:39 pm

irnbrugirl66 said
Yep I agree - I think it works well to promote a show as it gives you a little behind-the-scenes insight. I'm a sucker for the interviews as I'm a spoiler addict!

I was kinda disappointed that in the first dvd there was no behind the scenes/bloopers featurette. Also I can't remember when was the last time I shipped so much a couple as I do ship Cormoran with Robin and that's because of Holly and Tom that are so perfect interpreting their characters.
The only spoiler I would like to know right now is what happens in the opening scene of Lethal White because it's driving me nuts! lol

02/17/2018 - 10:48 pm

02/17/2018 - 10:05 pm

irnbrugirl66 said
I'm not suggesting the fandom wants it and my point is probably explained by what 'verge on the weird' means - it tends to be Hollywood PR mainstay to promote film/TV through the chemistry of the stars. It is much more common for the leads to be interviewed together and rarely apart.

As they don't do it this way, at least it ensures that Holliday Grainger gets equal 'air-time' just as she is getting equal pay on the show.

To tell the truth I don't watch much of interviews the actors of my favourite movies/tv-shows give so I don't know how it works!
Because I like them as Robin and Cormoran I thought it would be nice to see them interact as Holly and Tom as well to see their dynamic off screen!

02/17/2018 - 9:20 pm

02/17/2018 - 11:23 am

irnbrugirl66 said
I think they're afraid of Kristen-Stewart-Robert-Pattinson-wish-fulfilment! But in all seriousness, it might help to promote it better which is what most PR would do, so it's starting to verge on the weird.

I can't deny that they look good together and they have amazing chemistry but they are way to far from a Stewart-Pattison wish fulfilment I mean I never heard someone say they should date in real life... All the comments are about Cormoran and Robin getting together but nothing about Tom and Holly.
Also what to you mean by "verge on the weird?"

02/17/2018 - 11:15 am

02/17/2018 - 9:20 am

irnbrugirl66 said
Exactly what I was thinking!

Well they were at the same place so why just not put them sit next to each other and interview them together... Since they began to give interviews about Strike all are like this and they are the main characters so fans would be happy to watch an interview in common! Hope in the future we get to see one! They are both so sweet and look so good on screen together!

02/16/2018 - 11:32 pm

Exactly what I was thinking!

02/16/2018 - 10:23 am

irnbrugirl66 said

This has just gone up - clips from Career of Evil and interviews

Thanks for posting this! Can they do an interview where they are both in the same room I would love to see how they interact outside the tv-show! Can't wait to watch Career of evil!

02/16/2018 - 9:08 am