BOOK 5 PREDICTIONS | Page 3 | Discuss Cormoran Strike! | Discuss

BOOK 5 PREDICTIONS
10/05/2018 - 11:18 pm

Love reading all the predictions for number 5. The new case let's face it could involve anything. I would guess it's not going to be set too far in the future, maximim a year on from the end of Lethal White, so can't see Brexit being a main feature.

1. We can definitely say we are going to have to get used to new offices, Denmark Street will be gone, but I think it will still be somewhere quirky and not some standard office building. That's not their style.

2. I hope Barclay is a permanent addition, I think he slotted in very well to the overall dynamics. I did miss Shanker though, even though he got a brief mention in LW. Would like to see him reappear.

3. Have not even met Robin's new flatmate yet, but like him already ! A gay actor could also end up involving himself in some way helping Robin in a case... who knows !!

4. As both deep down only long for each other and are now both free, is it safe to say we are not going to see any new boyfriend/girlfriends on the scene and instead the dynamics will shift to a growth in their own path to coming together as a couple.

5. Will we see Charlotte again. A lot of you think we will. I am not sure. I think we had the reappearance of Charlotte in LW and her attempts to get him back failed. I don't think at this stage anything she could do will make Cormoran want to go there again. I liked his very final explanation to Robin when she showed him her phone. "Forget me and Charlotte he said roughly, that was twenty minutes she coerced me into".

6. Somewhere along the line, whether it's book 5 or beyond, I can see a case which will bring Johnny Rokeby to Cormoran for help in a case or he ends up being asked to help Johnny Rokeby who has been accused of something. That would really be something very interesting to explore and has the scope to bring up all kinds of emotions, anger and resentments.

7. JK did say she has already planted the seeds in the existing books of characters that will appear in future books. Have we seen the end of the man who raped Robin at University. What about odious Matthew. I assume if a year has gone by that we can safely say legalities are in place re their separation. Whether it will have reached divorce by then who knows, that may be the only reason left to involve him hopefully briefly in any future storyline.

So can we hope that book 5 will bring us a confident happier Robin, over the worst of her panic attacks and living a happier relaxed new life away from Matthew, free to be closer to Strike both professionally and personally. I can see them as a professional unit stronger and tighter and the business getting more established and successful.

10/03/2018 - 8:38 am

Dominic Culpepper said
Someone mentioned on Twitter that the plot for Book 5 could carry on with J K Rowling's political theme and centre around the European Referendum and current Brexit negotiations. I second that prediction. For the mandatory Strike murder to investigate, I'd like it to be a master forger who gets his comeuppance this time. Just a hunch!!!

That would mean a jump in time of almost 4 years. I don't think she'll do that right now (but I agree Brexit could creep up in a later novel.)

10/02/2018 - 8:19 pm

riverlynn said
My romantic soul loves the idea that Rowling gives Cormoran and Robin weaknesses. Cormoran who pursues career in crime fighting world which often physically demanding, no matter how strong he is, couldn't run far due to his amputated leg. Robin who's strong-willed and physically able, is a woman, which in many ways also gives many benefits. I support gender equality and all that, but I admit there are some disadvantages and risks being a woman in a crime-fighting world. In book 5, I would love to read more of Robin outsmarting her much stronger adversaries like she does with Raphael. Cormoran admitting his constant worry of Robin being out there doing her job unsupervised is really touching 🙂

Also I want a scenario, where Cormoran is detained and uncapable to escape, is up to Robin to save him, she's also getting help from her new friends in London and her brothers. It would be a right moment for them to realise their feelings to one another.

A meeting between Charlotte and Robin perhaps could happen, with Charlotte quietly scheming Robin, after acknowledging Robin's feelings to Cormoran? I know it's cliche but after reading Charlotte in Lethal White I guess anything could happen.

Strike's stories already covers serial murders, political scandals, betrayal, blackmail and gore. What type of crime cases that you guys think Rowling hasn't written? Missing person (Silkworm done that already), Revenge (Career of Evil done that)? Or Moriarty/ Joker type of case? I think we haven't felt the ultimate horror experience in Strike stories, involving European myths, legends. Wondering the type of crime-cases that Rowling hasn't written would be a great way to predict. There might be some parallels with Harry Potter stories as well.

I'd love to see her do a copy-cat Jack the Ripper type book! Or, maybe their fame at handling cases gets around and they're called in on a cold case from a few years ago but not as far back as the killing Billy thought he saw. Something from a year before maybe? Or an international thing. I absolutely want to see more of them interacting with other detective types though, not necessarily police or freelancers.

As for Charlotte and Robin, I think Robin will outsmart Charlotte and be able shut down any plot she has to harm Strike. Not that he can't take care of himself, I just think she needs to be the one to shut it down for him.

10/02/2018 - 6:39 pm

10/02/2018 - 9:46 am

riverlynn said

Yay! I feel like I have a new friend! Cormoran and Robin already realized their own feelings but not each other's feelings. I think it would be funny, the moment when they know each other's feelings, they would come up with an agreement that they would not pursue the relationship to a romantic level, yet. If anything goes wrong, that would easily damage their professional relationship, which is already well-established. They both know that they don't want their business to fall apart. That kind of agreement would also results some cute moments between them, resisting their feelings. I can already imagine Robin getting more jumpy whenever Cormoran is around :)) My God, I'm grinning while I'm typing this.

As for spies, yeah I think it's hardly in the next one. Foreign client probably? So there's a chance Robin and Cormoran going on a trip abroad, invited by a rich client and stays in the mansion?

In this case you have a new friend!))) I'm grinning while reading this) They'll be so awkward around each other))

Foreign client. That's a good idea, trip abroad is a dream. Their trips are everything!

10/02/2018 - 4:55 am

EverybodyNeedsShanker said

My romantic soul really likes your way of thinking!

As for the type of crime-cases I think there has to be a case about spies, international conspiracy and whatnot. There should be some evil Russians (they always do that to us :D), but that would be so very obvious, and Russians could turn out fine and the bad guy would be someone entirely different, some nice guy with a fluffy cat)))). Hardly a spy-case might be the next one. I say she goes for it in book 6 or 7.

10/01/2018 - 5:39 pm

riverlynn said

My romantic soul really likes your way of thinking!

10/01/2018 - 4:13 pm

09/30/2018 - 5:51 pm

Southbroom said
Hi all, just wanted to hear some of your theories and speculations on the next novel. We have a (I hope not) long wait ahead of us, so there's plenty of time to discuss.

Here's my three guesses:

1. I think the new investigation will involve a case centred around social media and the internet. Lethal White was set in 2012, so presumably, Book 5 will take place in 2013? Wouldn't a case surrounding online hacking and blackmail be interesting?

2. Charlotte is going to really stir up some shit in Cormoran's life. I don't know how, but I think that Mrs Campbell-Ross is going to mean BIG trouble for Robin and Cormoran. Maybe this ties in the the internet idea, Charlotte exposing intimacies between Robin and Cormoan online?

3. Robin and Cormoran discover each other's mutual feelings toward each other, BUT its not going to be smooth sailing.
I think that Robin will be overcome with guilt (her feelings rising so soon after her divorce with Matthew). She might also be confused (as we saw in the early chapters of Lethal White) that she doesn't know if what she is feeling is true, since Robin has little experience with dating in general.
As for Cormoran, won't there be a panic about the business (dating your work partner and whatnot) as well as a sensation that he isn't good enough for her?

What do you think?

I second you on that.
My reader's third eye see Charlotte is going to come back BIG TIME. But also, as much effect she has on Strike it's very much residual now. I think the fact that she is determined to abandon her children disgusted him. He doesn't want to be a dad (as of yet, but just you wait, guys), and it's crystal clear that kind of parenting is unacceptable for him. Charlotte will (if not included in the investigation) be much ado about nothing as she always is, she'll get on their nerves though, probably more so on Robin's.

I don't think they will "confess" any feeling to each other. Discover - yes, that's the right word you got there. It's too early for proclamations.

Also the big thing in book 5 can be moving out from Denmark Street. One of the things that Strike comes back to in his musings is the new developer (is it a correct word?). So office may change the address, so may Strike.

It's clear that Robin lives in a new place now. I already like her flat mate for no solid reason, just have a feeling (my third eye?) he's going to be in her circle now.

Also more roadtrips, please! At least two, better three. Maybe even abroad? We can't cut to what it was like before, can we? Their banters are the best.

Also that museum trip with Jack or more likely some mention of it. You promised, uncle Corm!

OK. Prick Cunliffe will definitely be floating on the surface. It won't be easy. Well, maybe legally speaking it'd be not so hard, they don't own property, there are no children or pets, only shared bank account, though he'll fight for it, because that's Matthew. To my mind the main drama can be in Masham. Prick will be telling every listening ear how amazing he was as a husband and what a tart Robin is. He gave her best years of his life and all his money, and she ran off with one-legged freak. But that should gather the Ellacotts as never before. I love Robin's brothers. Adorable bunch!

What else?? Can't come up with anything else at the moment. Need to reread the book for sure.

09/30/2018 - 9:46 am