BOOK 5 PREDICTIONS | Discuss Cormoran Strike! | Discuss

BOOK 5 PREDICTIONS
10/20/2018 - 11:45 pm

Lady Danièle said

Ooh, what an interesting thought! Imagine the baby goes missing, and Strike knows full well it was not wanted. His inside knowledge would be torture, and, of course, baby-free Charlotte would be working her charms on him for all she is worth.

Lady Danièle
10/20/2018 - 7:23 pm

I think a new case involving the disappearance of Charlotte or her baby after giving birth would make for an interesting twist. After all she did tell Strike that she didn't want the child. This could be a nice set up for tension between Strike and Robin, along with new, yet mentioned characters like Jago Ross and Charlotte's father. Could also stretch the stability of relationships with Lucy, Ilsa and Nick? Thoughts?

10/18/2018 - 2:22 am

Chiming in with my hopes and guesses about Book 5:

1. I hope it starts right up with curry at Nick and Ilsa's, and that Spanner is there, flirting with Robin. Strike will have to cope with seeing Robin interact with another man who fancies her.
Now that Robin has some friends (and her new roommate) they can help her sort out her feelings. But I'm a big fan of the slow burn so I hope it takes the whole book!

2. I think Whittaker will be back. He's the only villain who didn't get his just deserts.

3. Strike's half-brother Switch Whittaker is old enough now to cause trouble somehow, so I think
he'll figure in. Or maybe he'll ask them to investigate Leda's death? Isn't he the same age Cormoran was when Leda died (20?)

4. I think Strike won't willingly have anything to do with Charlotte, but I would like to see Robin get the better of her somehow. Did Charlotte ever meet Leda, I wonder?

5. The Whittaker family connection could mean that they are up in Yorkshire, where Robin and her family would have the contacts and Robin could take the lead in the investigation. I'd love to see the Ellacotts interacting more with Cormoran, especially in a domestic setting.

10/14/2018 - 5:51 pm

Here are a few predictions I have:

1. A case could lead both to either Masham or St Mawes.

2. There could be a case where someone impersonates a soldier in the RMP and they need Strikes help for some reason.

3. I cannot see them persuading a case where they have to search for a hacker (both are not very talented with computers; Robin knows a bit more than Strike about computers) at least not in book 5

4. The next case could be a hate-crime against any minority (gays, immigrants, etc.).

5. We are definitely going to meet Robins roommate. Like him already. I hope Nick and Ilsa are going to pop up too.

6. Robin and Cormoran could have trouble with their exes (Charlotte more likely than Matthew).

7. Cormoran and Robin could have the same case as Mitch Patterson (rival PI) and they try to outdo each other. LaughWink

10/13/2018 - 7:21 pm

Joanne said
7. Finally—I come to what will be the current case of book 5 and I will have to give that some thought. At this moment I’m not sure but another interesting thing took place at the very end of book 4. Twice—once in the next to last paragraph of page 646 and again in the next to last paragraph of page 647—a place called Finsbury Park was mentioned. I just thought this was a bit strange. It could be nothing but Finsbury Park is located in Harringay and Harringay always makes me remember the Harringay Crime Syndicate and Terrance “Digger” Malley.

Oh my! This is such a good idea!

riverlynn said

So I was on a Tom Burke marathon then and I found this cute and really good short film called "The Brunchers", about a couple, Tom Burke and Natalie Dormer, trying to find quirky, trendy brunch in London. I think we can imagine this short film, as a picture of Cormoran and Robin's domestic life, if they decide to be a couple. Since Tom's character in this is rather similar with Cormoran, and Natalie here is a bubbly blonde like Robin 🙂

Was going to watch it long time ago. Thanks! Love the idea!

10/13/2018 - 3:39 pm

novelwriter08 said

I'd love to see her do a copy-cat Jack the Ripper type book! Or, maybe their fame at handling cases gets around and they're called in on a cold case from a few years ago but not as far back as the killing Billy thought he saw. Something from a year before maybe? Or an international thing. I absolutely want to see more of them interacting with other detective types though, not necessarily police or freelancers.

As for Charlotte and Robin, I think Robin will outsmart Charlotte and be able shut down any plot she has to harm Strike. Not that he can't take care of himself, I just think she needs to be the one to shut it down for him.

Oh pleease, Jack the Ripper type case, I would want to read it so bad, it'd kinda feel like a Sherlock Holmes novel isn't it. Career of Evil is pretty similar already. I want them facing real horror together tailing or being chased by experienced murderer again (oh my I sound psycho). We got the sense of horror and urgency in Lethal White, when they were chased by dogs in the middle of the night. Unsolved cold cases reopened? And yes I agree with you with Robin shutting down Charlotte, but I don't think I can handle the drama and conflict ensues.

Also agree with your list Conchie!

I just graduated, and enjoying my free time so I find myself a bit hard to move on from Lethal White.

Joanne
10/13/2018 - 2:42 pm

Do you know the handwritten chart on Robert Galbraith's homepage where Robin is a PA of a CEO?

When still guessing about book four, many (including me) thought that this may relate to Lethal White. But it doesn't, does it?

So is it a chart related to book 5 then?

I really don't think we will see this particular chart put to use. I think it was more just to show how they plan out a job--and this particular job was one of the cancelled jobs when the leg arrived at the office in Career of Evil.

I really hope that JKR starts writing Book 5 soon--she mentioned that she thinks it will be the next book she works on--but she didn't say for sure. I fear if she works on the children's book after finishing the 3rd Fantastic Beasts script--that we will have another 3 year wait between Bk 4 and Bk 5 Cry

10/13/2018 - 10:54 am

So is it a chart related to book 5 then?

Joanne
10/12/2018 - 1:51 pm

I loved reading all these great ideas and even though I think I only got one thing right in my predictions for book 4, I can't resist trying again.

So, for what its worth, here goes my list:

1. I think the mention of the magnificent mansion along the Thames that Robin doesn’t notice at the very, very end of the book is going to figure into the story in the next book. My guess is that it will have a connection to Cormoran’s real father’s identity.

2. I think that book 5 will have a present day (2012-13) case and it will also be the beginning of Cormoran—after solving Billy Knight’s old case—taking a look into his own repressed memories and begin the painful process of solving his mother’s long cold case murder.

3. Hopefully all the wonderful new characters: Sam Barclay (love him), Robin’s new room mate (who we still need to meet), and Mitch Patterson—the rival PI (there’s real possibility for some great “fun” between the two of them). Also want to see plenty of the old gang as well: Shanker, Wardle, Vanessa, but if Matthew doesn’t show up---that would be fine with me (but alas--see #6 below)

4. I’m very excited to see where their new office turns up—I think they will try for a less expensive London location—but it still has to be accessible to clients and the growing agency's employees. It would be great if they could repurpose some old building that would also afford them car storage as well. (Since a car really is a necessity in their line of business, as well as providing some relief for Cormoran’s poor abused leg).

5. I’m afraid Charlotte will show up in the next book because she set the stage in book 4 with her little trick to have her and Cormoran seen in public together--just so she could use it later. She wanted to get out of the marriage with Jago and rid herself of the care and upbringing of the twins she is carrying. She will drag Cormoran back in with the divorce proceedings that will no doubt follow.

6. Speaking of divorce—Robin will also be entangled with divorcing Matthew—but I think she is going to wish she had treated him more like she would have if he’d been the cheating husband of one of their clients. He for sure is not going to go away by playing fair.

10/11/2018 - 9:42 pm

AMBER:
My prediction for the predominant color of the Book 5 cover. (Just putting it out there folks so you heard it here first)

10/09/2018 - 9:34 pm

I like what Conchie is saying here. Is it too soon for Strike's dad Jonny Rokeby to make his big entrance in Book 5?

I've said all along that Johnny Depp has been pencilled in to play the part of Jonny Rokeby with the Hollywood Vampires to fill in for his band. It's just a question of availability and where his loyalties will lie. Time will tell.

10/05/2018 - 11:18 pm

Love reading all the predictions for number 5. The new case let's face it could involve anything. I would guess it's not going to be set too far in the future, maximim a year on from the end of Lethal White, so can't see Brexit being a main feature.

1. We can definitely say we are going to have to get used to new offices, Denmark Street will be gone, but I think it will still be somewhere quirky and not some standard office building. That's not their style.

2. I hope Barclay is a permanent addition, I think he slotted in very well to the overall dynamics. I did miss Shanker though, even though he got a brief mention in LW. Would like to see him reappear.

3. Have not even met Robin's new flatmate yet, but like him already ! A gay actor could also end up involving himself in some way helping Robin in a case... who knows !!

4. As both deep down only long for each other and are now both free, is it safe to say we are not going to see any new boyfriend/girlfriends on the scene and instead the dynamics will shift to a growth in their own path to coming together as a couple.

5. Will we see Charlotte again. A lot of you think we will. I am not sure. I think we had the reappearance of Charlotte in LW and her attempts to get him back failed. I don't think at this stage anything she could do will make Cormoran want to go there again. I liked his very final explanation to Robin when she showed him her phone. "Forget me and Charlotte he said roughly, that was twenty minutes she coerced me into".

6. Somewhere along the line, whether it's book 5 or beyond, I can see a case which will bring Johnny Rokeby to Cormoran for help in a case or he ends up being asked to help Johnny Rokeby who has been accused of something. That would really be something very interesting to explore and has the scope to bring up all kinds of emotions, anger and resentments.

7. JK did say she has already planted the seeds in the existing books of characters that will appear in future books. Have we seen the end of the man who raped Robin at University. What about odious Matthew. I assume if a year has gone by that we can safely say legalities are in place re their separation. Whether it will have reached divorce by then who knows, that may be the only reason left to involve him hopefully briefly in any future storyline.

So can we hope that book 5 will bring us a confident happier Robin, over the worst of her panic attacks and living a happier relaxed new life away from Matthew, free to be closer to Strike both professionally and personally. I can see them as a professional unit stronger and tighter and the business getting more established and successful.

10/03/2018 - 8:38 am

Dominic Culpepper said
Someone mentioned on Twitter that the plot for Book 5 could carry on with J K Rowling's political theme and centre around the European Referendum and current Brexit negotiations. I second that prediction. For the mandatory Strike murder to investigate, I'd like it to be a master forger who gets his comeuppance this time. Just a hunch!!!

That would mean a jump in time of almost 4 years. I don't think she'll do that right now (but I agree Brexit could creep up in a later novel.)

10/02/2018 - 8:19 pm

riverlynn said
My romantic soul loves the idea that Rowling gives Cormoran and Robin weaknesses. Cormoran who pursues career in crime fighting world which often physically demanding, no matter how strong he is, couldn't run far due to his amputated leg. Robin who's strong-willed and physically able, is a woman, which in many ways also gives many benefits. I support gender equality and all that, but I admit there are some disadvantages and risks being a woman in a crime-fighting world. In book 5, I would love to read more of Robin outsmarting her much stronger adversaries like she does with Raphael. Cormoran admitting his constant worry of Robin being out there doing her job unsupervised is really touching 🙂

Also I want a scenario, where Cormoran is detained and uncapable to escape, is up to Robin to save him, she's also getting help from her new friends in London and her brothers. It would be a right moment for them to realise their feelings to one another.

A meeting between Charlotte and Robin perhaps could happen, with Charlotte quietly scheming Robin, after acknowledging Robin's feelings to Cormoran? I know it's cliche but after reading Charlotte in Lethal White I guess anything could happen.

Strike's stories already covers serial murders, political scandals, betrayal, blackmail and gore. What type of crime cases that you guys think Rowling hasn't written? Missing person (Silkworm done that already), Revenge (Career of Evil done that)? Or Moriarty/ Joker type of case? I think we haven't felt the ultimate horror experience in Strike stories, involving European myths, legends. Wondering the type of crime-cases that Rowling hasn't written would be a great way to predict. There might be some parallels with Harry Potter stories as well.

10/02/2018 - 6:39 pm

10/02/2018 - 9:46 am

riverlynn said

Yay! I feel like I have a new friend! Cormoran and Robin already realized their own feelings but not each other's feelings. I think it would be funny, the moment when they know each other's feelings, they would come up with an agreement that they would not pursue the relationship to a romantic level, yet. If anything goes wrong, that would easily damage their professional relationship, which is already well-established. They both know that they don't want their business to fall apart. That kind of agreement would also results some cute moments between them, resisting their feelings. I can already imagine Robin getting more jumpy whenever Cormoran is around :)) My God, I'm grinning while I'm typing this.

As for spies, yeah I think it's hardly in the next one. Foreign client probably? So there's a chance Robin and Cormoran going on a trip abroad, invited by a rich client and stays in the mansion?

In this case you have a new friend!))) I'm grinning while reading this) They'll be so awkward around each other))

Foreign client. That's a good idea, trip abroad is a dream. Their trips are everything!

10/02/2018 - 4:55 am

EverybodyNeedsShanker said

My romantic soul really likes your way of thinking!

As for the type of crime-cases I think there has to be a case about spies, international conspiracy and whatnot. There should be some evil Russians (they always do that to us :D), but that would be so very obvious, and Russians could turn out fine and the bad guy would be someone entirely different, some nice guy with a fluffy cat)))). Hardly a spy-case might be the next one. I say she goes for it in book 6 or 7.

10/01/2018 - 5:39 pm

riverlynn said

My romantic soul really likes your way of thinking!

10/01/2018 - 4:13 pm

09/30/2018 - 5:51 pm

Southbroom said
Hi all, just wanted to hear some of your theories and speculations on the next novel. We have a (I hope not) long wait ahead of us, so there's plenty of time to discuss.

Here's my three guesses:

1. I think the new investigation will involve a case centred around social media and the internet. Lethal White was set in 2012, so presumably, Book 5 will take place in 2013? Wouldn't a case surrounding online hacking and blackmail be interesting?

2. Charlotte is going to really stir up some shit in Cormoran's life. I don't know how, but I think that Mrs Campbell-Ross is going to mean BIG trouble for Robin and Cormoran. Maybe this ties in the the internet idea, Charlotte exposing intimacies between Robin and Cormoan online?

3. Robin and Cormoran discover each other's mutual feelings toward each other, BUT its not going to be smooth sailing.
I think that Robin will be overcome with guilt (her feelings rising so soon after her divorce with Matthew). She might also be confused (as we saw in the early chapters of Lethal White) that she doesn't know if what she is feeling is true, since Robin has little experience with dating in general.
As for Cormoran, won't there be a panic about the business (dating your work partner and whatnot) as well as a sensation that he isn't good enough for her?

What do you think?

I second you on that.
My reader's third eye see Charlotte is going to come back BIG TIME. But also, as much effect she has on Strike it's very much residual now. I think the fact that she is determined to abandon her children disgusted him. He doesn't want to be a dad (as of yet, but just you wait, guys), and it's crystal clear that kind of parenting is unacceptable for him. Charlotte will (if not included in the investigation) be much ado about nothing as she always is, she'll get on their nerves though, probably more so on Robin's.

I don't think they will "confess" any feeling to each other. Discover - yes, that's the right word you got there. It's too early for proclamations.

Also the big thing in book 5 can be moving out from Denmark Street. One of the things that Strike comes back to in his musings is the new developer (is it a correct word?). So office may change the address, so may Strike.

It's clear that Robin lives in a new place now. I already like her flat mate for no solid reason, just have a feeling (my third eye?) he's going to be in her circle now.

Also more roadtrips, please! At least two, better three. Maybe even abroad? We can't cut to what it was like before, can we? Their banters are the best.

Also that museum trip with Jack or more likely some mention of it. You promised, uncle Corm!

OK. Prick Cunliffe will definitely be floating on the surface. It won't be easy. Well, maybe legally speaking it'd be not so hard, they don't own property, there are no children or pets, only shared bank account, though he'll fight for it, because that's Matthew. To my mind the main drama can be in Masham. Prick will be telling every listening ear how amazing he was as a husband and what a tart Robin is. He gave her best years of his life and all his money, and she ran off with one-legged freak. But that should gather the Ellacotts as never before. I love Robin's brothers. Adorable bunch!

What else?? Can't come up with anything else at the moment. Need to reread the book for sure.

Currently Online: RozaBelikov