BOOK 5 PREDICTIONS | Discuss Cormoran Strike! | Discuss

BOOK 5 PREDICTIONS
Boo
11/10/2019 - 12:19 pm

I really agree with the whole victim-Robin situation, I hope it’s over.
I’ve been playing around with the thought that Strike is injured in som way and goes to Cornwall to heal and Robin goes to see him and then gets to know his aunt and uncle.
Also Strike decsided not to say ”I love you” until he meant it which is obviously Robin and I think it would be fun if he told her while hurt/in hospital on pain meds and then they both have to deal with it afterward.

sonik0909
11/02/2019 - 7:41 pm

StMawes said
Before I saw this, I would have predicted Shanker as the most likely candidate but you’ve put forward a very strong case! Like you, I agree it won’t happen in book 5 unless Barclay is really involved in the new case. I think we need to see him embedded more in the series, hear more of his background and see more of the partnership between the trio for his potential death to have more impact on us the readers, and on Strike and Robin. I’d say the likely cause of death would be Barclay undercover in an underground gang, or organisation, and having his cover blown. I think that would have the most profound effect on Strike; that he was responsible for putting him there and, as senior partner, was also responsible for his well being. How Strike would react brings a range of possibilities. Would he be after vengeance and override any common sense? He might well need Robin to keep him on the straight and narrow. Would it drive a wedge between him & Robin? He’d probably treat her like a porcelain doll again and keep her off the streets like in Career of Evil. Or does it actually bring them together when they realise how fragile life is?

I think Strike's sense of responsibility would certainly be a huge factor. Just spitballing here, but I wonder how it would be if Barclay died while somehow saving Robin. This is an issue people raise with regard to women in combat: Right or wrong, many men have an impulse to defend women, even if those women are supposed to be their equals on the battlefield. What if a male soldier can't resist saving a female soldier, and he ends up endangering the mission or his own life? No - I'm not getting into the merits of this as a big-picture argument against women in combat. However, I'm sure it's true for some people in some cases. If you're inclined toward chivalry, it can be hard to overcome.

What if disaster strikes (no pun intended) because Barclay feels the need to save Robin? Barclay ends up dead, and Robin feels horrible guilt for being the one he had to save. Strike feels equal guilt for being the boss who put them in this position - and questions (as he often has) whether it's a terrible mistake to send a woman into danger at all. Especially when it's a woman he can barely resist admitting he's in love with. Meanwhile, Robin wants to do the job, and she's good at it, and doesn't want to be seen as a liability because she's a woman. It's one of the main conflicts of the series, and something like this would bring it to a crisis point for everyone.

10/26/2019 - 9:13 pm

Devine said
Great to read others' thoughts. My pet idea is that Jago Ross gets killed (not by Charlotte) and Strike pursues the killer as Charlotte is the prime suspect.

Charlotte's pregnancy issue mentioned near the end of 4 had me wondering if the babies die or are unhealthy, but we'll see.

I think it was in Cuckoo’s Calling that Jago was mentioned having “a persistent drinking problem” and a temperament that is “vicious in the manner of an overbred, badly disciplined animal”. So there is a possible, if accidental, motive that could result in his death.

The inclusion of Charlotte’s pregnancy complications also had me wondering about the wellbeing of the babies. I think they will survive but there could be some sort of health condition. In which case, if she tries to abandon them and try and get back with Strike, that might ultimately cross one of his red lines…

Devine said
I've always presumed Strike would hook up with Charlotte again, but I'm not certain at all (maybe like 60% they will, 40% they won't). He seems pretty resigned to it and believes the relationship is appropriately and healthily over even in his own mind in Book 4. I'd really like to see Robin really burning and writhing with jealousy/angst like Cormoran has had to, though. I don't think they're on equal footing there at all as Robin has been attached to Matthew until now, and it's been made obvious to Robin in both cases that Strike doesn't really, ultimately care about Elin or Lorelei (I mean he respects them, kind of, but he's not too fussed in either case when they go). Charlotte would be a different animal for Robin--someone that has been inside his heart. Whether or not they're romantically attached again, that past between Strike/Charlotte will surely rankle for Robin, and I think that's appropriate for balance.

Having Robin attached to another man in a passing fashion might make sense, but I can't see that being a big part of it. We've done that. With Matthew. We're all set there.

I’m hoping that Strike and Charlotte never get together again, especially now that Robin is walking away from the clutches of Matthew, but I’m not hugely hopeful. We definitely haven’t seen the last of her and she appears to still have some hold over him, so I’m sure she’ll still cause some trouble and help ramp up Robin’s jealousy. There did seem a hint of jealousy from Robin during Lethal White so it would be good to see that magnified and it might be the avenue for Robin to finally realise her feelings for Strike are genuine. I do worry though that in a moment of weakness, Strike will give into Charlotte’s advances-possibly if Robin starts a new relationship or he makes a shocking discovery about his past. Unfortunately I can see Robin taking the same approach as Strike did when she and Matthew were together, in not commenting or expressing the true thoughts or feelings of the other’s relationship even if it could save them a lot of pain. So we’ll probably end up seeing Robin suffer in silence.

I would actually quite like book 5 to have both Robin & Strike single throughout. Robin so that she can get over her divorce, improve her mental health, and rediscover who she is. Strike so that he strengthens his family relationships with Jack and Lucy, and exorcise any remaining feelings for Charlotte. I am actually getting quite tired of how Strike gets a new girlfriend in each book and how he treats them each time - I do feel he needs time to mature before he’s ready for a serious relationship with Robin. I think as long as Robin is single, Strike will remain also in the hope that something might happen between them. I’m all in for Robin & Strike having some banter and flirting though in Strike5!

Devine said
No more Victim!Robin. I almost laughed at the scene with her on the boat at the end of 4. I was satisfied with the book, but found that part pretty cliche. We've had her in peril a lot. Let's get Strike in peril with her saving him!

I was actually alright with Robin being the ‘victim’ in Lethal White as I felt she showed her character growth in how she handled Raphael on the barge. Having said that, it did feel a bit cliche when Strike rescued her and I absolutely do agree it’s Strike’s turn to either be attacked/the victim/in peril.

Devine said

Long game:

Lay odds that they kiss in--
Book 5: 10% (too soon imo)
Book 6: 45%
Book 7: 35%
Book 8+: 10% (she'll have drawn it out too far imo)

With the kiss, I’m in the same mind with you that it would likely happen in book 6 or 7. I think Strike5 will be more about fully repairing their working relationship but also developing it into a genuine friendship. So hopefully opening up more to each other about their personal issues and socialising more often outside of a work environment; where they might have moved on to greeting one another with a hug or a peck on the cheek. That feels like the next stage, to me, in their slow burn relationship. I know JKR has mentioned she’s got 10 books planned but there’s confusion, at least on my part, to whether that is the entire series or 10 more after Career of Evil was published-which was when she mentioned that figure. If there keeps on being yearly time jumps between books Strike will be in his fifties before finally asking Robin out if JKR plans the whole series to be a “will they?/won’t they?”

Anubhab said
Dont know about book 5, but if JKR really wants to spice things up, then either one of Mathhew/Charlotte needs to die, and Strike needs to portrayed as the main suspect(bet the cops would love it) only for Robin to prove his innocence at the end. This would also increase the bonding between them.

I cannot help but feel that if Charlotte, or especially Matthew died, and with Strike potentially as the main suspect, it would feel like a predictable plot device to keep Robin & Strike apart just for the sake of it. Although you could say Robin & Cormoran getting together would be a cliche! I do like your idea of Strike being framed for a crime and it’s down to Robin to prove his innocence as that would certainly increase his love of her! I think after the divorce, which I reckon Matthew will make as difficult as possible, his role in the books will be done. I can only see him in a later book if Strike & Robin have to investigate his accountancy firm or someone linked to him. I could see Charlotte ultimately ending up in a mental health institute, or Strike places a restraining order on her. Or maybe Jago just takes her away and they live abroad. I think if Charlotte has to die, it would probably be an accidental death either by self harming or a drug overdose, maybe even trying to save Strike in some way. But I don’t think she’ll be murdered.

sonik0909 said
Not positive it will come in Book 5, but sadly my prediction is that Sam Barclay is SO dead.

The way these things work, "Galbraith" will need to raise the stakes by killing someone we care about. To make the dangers of this work believable, near misses and minor injuries won't be enough at some point. Someone needs to die (or at least be terribly, catastrophically injured). It needs to be a member of the team, someone we know and like and trust. And it obviously can't be Strike or Robin.

The way Barclay was introduced in Book 4, he has it written all over him. He wasn't so vital to the plot that he absolutely needed to exist. If the point was just that the agency needed more man-power, that could've been accomplished with bit-players like Andy and the other freelancers who aren't even named.

No, the point of bringing in Barclay was to make us like him. He's fun and relatable. He has a young family. He cracks jokes and "vapes" dope and blows the whistle on corruption in the army. We have to like him so we really feel the pain when he gets killed... and that day is coming.

I still do think Shanker may well be doomed but probably nearer the end of the series and in some sort of situation relating to Whittaker or Rokeby.

10/23/2019 - 3:19 am

Long game:

Lay odds that they kiss in--
Book 5: 10% (too soon imo)
Book 6: 45%
Book 7: 35%
Book 8+: 10% (she'll have drawn it out too far imo)

I think Charlotte killed Strike's mother. Well, had Whittaker kill her maybe. Just because Charlotte sucks, they met when he was 19, and his mom died when he was 20, right?

Anubhab
10/07/2019 - 10:55 pm

sonik0909
09/07/2019 - 5:38 pm

joqliqyxaze
07/28/2019 - 11:31 pm

ZefEMh ltxtdnqbxter, tauybpvbnnvv, [link=http://qcajwcfqiaqe.com/]qcajwcfqiaqe[/link], http://kxhxipurktvw.com/

06/30/2019 - 9:47 am

Since Eric Bloom is a real life person, there is no way he can be Strike's fictional father. Besides, there is too much emphasis in the book on the paternity test to leave any doubt as to the 'real' (fictional) father.

I so wish that JKR would resuscitate her Twitter account to give us an update. Just knowing that's she's really working on it would be enough for me.

06/20/2019 - 1:49 am

I'm interested to find out more why you don't believe Rokeby is Strike's father? I recently re-read the books and there were comments both about a DNA test being done to confirm Rokeby's paternity with Cormoran and that Leda never "got" Eric Bloom. I had no idea anyone believed there was a question to it.

I could see Matthew being a dick about the divorce and dragging it out as much as possible, even though they basically just have finances to figure out. Hopefully once divorce is final we won't see him anymore. It seems like there will be another time jump, as JKR wrote on twitter about writing about Robin's 29th birthday and we didn't even get to the point of her 28th yet at the end of Lethal White.

Joanne
06/19/2019 - 6:50 pm

Thoughts about Venetiahall’s interesting points in post 39:

1. Yes, I agree that there will be a new office in book 5. The real question I have is where will Cormoran’s new place to live end up being? I can’t see him getting a roommate like Robin and the cost of living in London was the reason he had such a poor excuse for a flat (apartment) all through the first four books. It seems like any new office will also need to have another area where he can set up house—just like the old place?

2. Agree about the contractors and the need for a new secretary. Be interesting to see who it ends up being since Robin would probably would not want the new secretary to be too attractive (if she’s honest with herself) but they do need someone very efficient. Be interesting to see who it ends up being. Vanessa and Eric Wardle are both here to stay. Hope Shanker is back in the thick of things in book 5. I also hope we see more of Mitch Patterson from Lethal White as I think Mitch makes a nice addition to the ongoing series as a rival/antagonist to Cormoran’s alpha male detective.

3. I think that Matthew will still be around in book 5 since I read that divorces (even uncontested) in England take at least a year. I don’t expect Matthew to make it easy for Robin even though he was clearly the cheating partner. This is mainly because in Matt’s mind he no doubt truly believes that Robin was also cheating; if for no other reason to make him self feel the injured party.

4. Charlotte will definitely be coming back into Cormoran’s life to stir things up. Unfortunately, it seems that both Robin and Cormoran will find themselves entangled with their former ill-fated romantic partners during the final “death throes” of their relationships in book 5. Charlotte does have the "threatening to kill herself" in her background to emotionally blackmail Cormoran so it will be interesting to see what she tries to pull in book 5.

5. I don’t see Cormoran and Robin starting to get together until book 6 and I think that the thing that will finally get Cormoran to act is when Robin is free and other men start to move in to date her. Strike will realize that it’s now or never. Hopefully he picks the “now” option.

6. One of the only two bits of information that JKR has given out about book 5 is that we will be seeing Al Rokeby again in Book 5. I confess I’m one of those who is not 100% sure that Al Rokeby is Cormoran’s father. There are enough discrepancies (dates and story wise) that I’m more inclined to believe his father will ultimately prove to be someone besides Jonny Rokeby.

Having said that, I was a bit surprised to see that the actor they hired to play Al Rokeby in the BBC series is a dead ringer for the actor playing Cormoran Strike. Since JKR is an executive producer of the show—I would think that she might have said something about having too close a physical resemblance between the half-brothers if Strike really isn’t related.

In the book it is quite clear that Cormoran is not supposed to look anything like Jonny Rokeby—and so his half-brother shouldn’t either, but in the show he does. I’m going to put this down to the casting director thinking the audience needed to see a physical resemblance since they would expect to see it (not that I’m complaining on the way they look!).

Final note—I totally agree that the next book needs to start filling in some of the hard facts about Strike's family story. The questions surrounding his father and the facts around his mother’s background and her murder. Somehow I feel the two are connected—else why the mystery? And why, after four books, have we still not seen Jonny Rokeby walk onto the pages of his “son’s” story?

Lea
06/19/2019 - 2:24 pm

I really think that in the coming books we will find out that Eric Bloom is Strike's real father not Johnny Rokeby...Robin was looking online in one of the books and saw that Eric Bloom had "Strike's exact same hair".

06/10/2019 - 11:05 pm

I've just discovered this page and am so excited to have somewhere to discuss these books! My predications for book 5 (or perhaps just later books in the series):

1) I think we will see Strike and Robin either in a new office or looking for one, as it was foreshadowed that developers are likely going to come through and evict everyone. Strike will also have a new place, as will Robin. It'll be nice to see them both somewhere new.

2) I was happy to see him utilizing contractors for work, as we are going to be losing (at least for the most part) the third most mentioned character in the books, Matthew, so we'll need other characters to fill in some gaps. I also think we'll see more of Vanessa and the new housemate Robin has. Perhaps they'll even have a secretary in the next book.

3) If Matthew is around at all in the latter part of the series, I wonder if he might come up as either a suspect in a case or--in truly ironic fashion--hire Strike and Robin for a case. I can't see him being too much of a disrupter in terms of Strike and Robin's relationship at this point. Their marriage is over, and while he is a total shitbag, he isn't as unstable as Charlotte.

4) I think Charlotte will come into play. If this book has a time jump like the others, she will have had her children and probably be on her way out the door, if she hasn't left them already. She'll try to come back into Strike's life, disrupt things with Robin. I've often wondered if Charlotte won't turn up dead or missing later in the series and that Strike will be the suspect.

5) I don't think we'll see Strike and Robin in a relationship in this book, or even confessing their feelings to one another. I think they each will continue to explore their feelings for the other, but I think they'll both likely be involved with other people to some degree. Robin is very inexperienced with men and Strike has always been worried about getting involved with Robin because of the business. Perhaps at the end we'll see them both accepting and acknowledging that they are in love with each other, but not saying that to one another.

6) I would really like to see some of Strike's estranged family come into play in this book or later in the series. The boy Leda had with Whittaker would be probably 20 or so by this point. Or Rokeby, though again as others have said it might be too early for that. I like Al. I'd enjoy meeting some of the other half siblings.

I hope we aren't waiting another 3 years for the next book. It was a killer to wait for book 4.

03/22/2019 - 7:14 pm

Hi, I read on a page called Howartsproffesor the theory that we have to wait for a relationship between Cormoran and Robin, and the idea that she could have a relationship with another man. Personally, don`t like the idea. I want them together.
I think that Charlotte will be in the middle of them, just like Mathew. And I have doubt, who send the flowers to the office, was Mathew or someone else? It`s possible that her raper reapeared to become a ñew threaten to Robin?

Mauro
03/01/2019 - 4:58 pm

Good afternoon to you all, I' ve recently discovered your site, and i found it really interesting.
I read in translation first (so I had to wait 4 monts LW trying to avoid any information about the book), then in English (even though my english is far from good JKR books are really well written and with a good dictionary can be fully enjoyed.

NO MORE CUNLIFFE!!! I hope in a divorce by first chapter and then try to forget they have ever exhisted(written?). I could make an allowance to enjoy a Cunliffe/Campbell marriage, a couple made in hell.

And a little peace for Robin.
She is really a woman which has suffered enough, we know, first raped and then psychologically abused FOR YEARS by MC (cheating included); I discussed about her with my wife and she said that in her opinion what MC did to her is worst. I'm inclined to agree.

In my opinion books 3&4 can be interpreted as an essay about violence against women.

That for me is more than enough.

Boo
02/24/2019 - 4:36 pm

I think Charlotte will have disappeared and Strike will have to find her. It feels like the episode in the restaurant in LW was building to something like that. Looking for Charlotte could also get in the wah of a Strike-Robin relationship

02/13/2019 - 7:55 pm

Hi from Argentina, I just found the web and I love it. just re reading LW and wonder what could happen in 2 years between them. In COE it was great who we could know the story by the flash back, but now, with them more closely and without any other person in the middle make me think if they don´t make any advance in their relationship!!!!

Rachel
01/29/2019 - 3:01 pm

If there are to be bumps in the road for Strike and Robin’s relationship it would be interesting to see it caused by them disagreeing quite strongly on some key aspect of a case, or perhaps the character of a client or suspect. Perhaps one of them is sympathetic the other very suspicious (probably Robin would be the sympathetic one but not necessarily. )

A more ambiguous murderer would be interesting, someone more sympathetic and not driven by narcissism, evil, revenge or greed. JK could do this so easily, I bet she will at some point if not in book 5.

Perhaps Robin gets to be the one to put all the information together and work it all out this time. It would be fun to see the reverse of her and Strike at the end of LW where she tries to prod him into making the connections, but I guess that is not how her character would behave.

12/08/2018 - 1:37 pm

Antosha said

Huh. Having worked in publishing for most of my adult life, I can tell you... That's amazing. Actually, it makes sense. They know they've got a large book coming, so they're setting everything up ahead of time. Still, you don't see that kind of timeline outside of non-fiction very often!

I can imagine JKR being high priority at her publishing house 😉 Even so, it's probably too optimistic to think the book will be finished at the end of next year (mind you, it doesn't have to be published yet to be turned into a screenplay), but hey, a girl can dream 😉

Antosha
12/07/2018 - 6:04 pm

Antosha said

For a book like these, there's usually at least a full year between when the manuscript is submitted and the book comes out -- sometimes more like two.

This seems a bit too much.

Rowling announced on Twitter that she finished Lethal White on 23 March and it was published on 18 September - approximately six months.

Same with Career of Evil. She tweeted that she finished the book on 24 April 2015 and the book was published some time in October.

12/07/2018 - 8:17 am

Antosha said

This seems a bit too much.