BOOK 5 PREDICTIONS | Discuss Cormoran Strike! | Discuss

BOOK 5 PREDICTIONS
04/01/2020 - 11:09 am

Hi everyone, I write from Italy and I'm a fan of the saga of Strike cormorants, waiting for the 5th book to arrive, and thinking about the end of the 4th, in my opinion the man Robin speaks of at the end of the book can be his investigation private, maybe just about Strike's past life, what do you think? Sorry for my English 🙂

Bird
03/04/2020 - 8:13 pm

Welcome, Bird! I love the discussions here and read your speculations with much interest. I was curious about your PS (above), though. Where did you see the portraits you mention?

Ah sorry, typo 😉 ‘Portrays’, i meant. I just feel that Holliday Graingers Robin is too posh..

03/02/2020 - 7:27 pm

Bird said

Ps. (OT) Anyone else feel that the Robin Holiday Granger portraits is more Venetia than Robin?

Bird
02/29/2020 - 9:28 pm

Hurray on title and publication date! 🙂
I’m new here but have given the new book a bit of thought, now we know when it will come. Many very fun theories here!

I feel that each of the four books we have had so far, reflects on a different aspect of English/British society.
The Cuckoo’s Calling: the fashion industry and the beauty standards it promotes.
The Silkworm: the literary world («we need more readers and fewer writers»)
Career of evil: the sex industry and sexual abuse (Platinum, Stephanie, Brockbank’s history. and of course we learn that Robin was raped in this book)
Lethal White: class differences.

I hope there will be a similar overal theme in book 5. If i would have to guess, my bet would be on something to do with gay rights. I found a list on wikipedia of notable events in 2013 in the UK. One of the events noted there, is the legalisation of same-sex marriage. Maybe part of the story will be centred on the various reactions to this? There is also Robins new flat mate 🙂 (plus, apparently Alan Turing received a posthumous royal pardon in 2013..)

I do not really have more detailed thoughts on the case they will be working on. I have thought tho, that it does not necessarily have to be centred on a murder. Maybe a missing person case without vitalities, for variety’s sake? It will have to be suitably dramatic tho, of course..

I do agree with many here that it would be good if Robin would be the «rescuer» and Strike the victim(if you will) in some way.

As for this long awaited romance between the two, i can’t amagine that happening before we get towards the end of the book-series. I think something would have change in their working relationship before that would be an option at all (doesn’t Strike himself say something along those lines?). And the premise of the books, is the two of them solving cases together, isn’t it? Maybe towards the very end Robin will decide to pick up that psychology degree and/or be offered a job as a profiler for instance.

02/19/2020 - 6:59 pm

Book 5 Troubled Blood 784 pages out 29th Sep

Boo
02/07/2020 - 11:38 pm

Had another thought about Robins future (someone may have said it bbefore but anyway...)
I think The man who raped Robin may be let out of prison soon, maybe not in book 5 though.
It would be too contrived to have him appear physically but The knoweledge of him being free would no doubt be difficult for Robin (to say the least).
Knowing her, she pobably wouldn’t confide in Strike, at least not at fitst, out of fear that he would find her weak.
I also think there would be a potential for a conflict between them if he did find out because he would be super protective and she would probably be rubbed the wrong way by that, not wanting to rely on a man to make her feel safe because another made her feel unsafe.

01/13/2020 - 1:56 am

Dilleysb said

Think about it: with Tom gone, Matt’s future is clear, both on the job and with Sarah (those Gita deserve each other). But if Tom dies under suspicious circumstances, who will be prime suspects? His unfaithful fiancé and her undercover lover. Strike and Robin will be reluctantly called on to get them off the suspect list and Matt will finally acknowledge he owes them both a debt of gratitude. We’ll finally get closure.

I have a thought that, rather than closure of the Matthew relationship, we will see more interference from Matthew. For example, Tom learns of the affair with Sarah and she is forced to choose between them....and she chooses Tom, the more "powerful" of the two. Then Tom has no choice but to sack Matthew, rather than face him daily at work. Now Matthew has no job, no income, AND no Sarah. Wouldn't that push him into a fervent campaign to get back in Robin's favour? Ugh. I hope I'm wrong about this; but I actually woke up this morning with that precise scenario popped into my mind.

Dilleysb
01/12/2020 - 7:54 pm

From some background reading, I’ve learned Denmark Place (street of Strike’s office) was site of horrific fire. Since the neighborhood is rebuilding, it would be a natural site for a body to turn up and Strike/Robin be called in to investigate. The area’s colorful past as “London’s Tin-Pan Alley” would be great background for a story and Strike/Robin’s services might get them office space in the renovated building.

01/12/2020 - 12:46 pm

I so love all those predictions.

From the romantic point of view I really hope Robin and Cormoran will NOT get together. Not yet at least. Their feelings are just too chaotic and both of them are aware of possible consequences of getting into a relationship while being business partners.
But I hope Robin will have some nice, easy going boy, as sort of relief valve, though still sorting out her own feelings towards Strike.

But in LW I was really hoping for something regarding their accidental kiss when Strike's nephew was in the hospital. You know, some low profile journalist, great fan of Strike, catching that on a camera, waiting quietly to drop the bomb by the time Strike is all over the press again. This would stirr some fun (oh dear, I'm so mean 😝)

I also would like to see Robin handling a case on her own for a while, because of Strike being absent, due to e.g. being held captive somewhere.

About Charlotte... I guess there will be some twist around her. She might very well disappear in suspicious circumstances. Depending on the timeline it would be interesting if that happened before her twins were born. Well, actual kidnapping could be involved, and Strike knowing her liking for scheming could be very sceptical of whole situation.

And I like the idea of Dilleysb of having Matt as the prime suspect of a crime.

Dilleysb
01/01/2020 - 10:04 pm

At some point, Matthew is going to face an unpleasant situation: that he’s been shagging the fiancé of his boss. Sad to say, I think that troubles him more than his being a lousy husband to Robin. So, in order to get Matt firmly off the map, reconciled to the divorce, I hat to say it, but I think poor old Tom is due for the chop.

As for Charlotte, my bet is that she runs away, either to America, or the after-life. Jags will have the twins and everyone will eventually heave a sigh of relief. Strike will feel guilty about that, of course, and Robin will worry he’s carrying a torch. But that will carry the “will-they/won’t they” through another couple of books.

And I want to see more of Shanker

Boo
11/10/2019 - 12:19 pm

I really agree with the whole victim-Robin situation, I hope it’s over.
I’ve been playing around with the thought that Strike is injured in som way and goes to Cornwall to heal and Robin goes to see him and then gets to know his aunt and uncle.
Also Strike decsided not to say ”I love you” until he meant it which is obviously Robin and I think it would be fun if he told her while hurt/in hospital on pain meds and then they both have to deal with it afterward.

sonik0909
11/02/2019 - 7:41 pm

StMawes said
Before I saw this, I would have predicted Shanker as the most likely candidate but you’ve put forward a very strong case! Like you, I agree it won’t happen in book 5 unless Barclay is really involved in the new case. I think we need to see him embedded more in the series, hear more of his background and see more of the partnership between the trio for his potential death to have more impact on us the readers, and on Strike and Robin. I’d say the likely cause of death would be Barclay undercover in an underground gang, or organisation, and having his cover blown. I think that would have the most profound effect on Strike; that he was responsible for putting him there and, as senior partner, was also responsible for his well being. How Strike would react brings a range of possibilities. Would he be after vengeance and override any common sense? He might well need Robin to keep him on the straight and narrow. Would it drive a wedge between him & Robin? He’d probably treat her like a porcelain doll again and keep her off the streets like in Career of Evil. Or does it actually bring them together when they realise how fragile life is?

I think Strike's sense of responsibility would certainly be a huge factor. Just spitballing here, but I wonder how it would be if Barclay died while somehow saving Robin. This is an issue people raise with regard to women in combat: Right or wrong, many men have an impulse to defend women, even if those women are supposed to be their equals on the battlefield. What if a male soldier can't resist saving a female soldier, and he ends up endangering the mission or his own life? No - I'm not getting into the merits of this as a big-picture argument against women in combat. However, I'm sure it's true for some people in some cases. If you're inclined toward chivalry, it can be hard to overcome.

What if disaster strikes (no pun intended) because Barclay feels the need to save Robin? Barclay ends up dead, and Robin feels horrible guilt for being the one he had to save. Strike feels equal guilt for being the boss who put them in this position - and questions (as he often has) whether it's a terrible mistake to send a woman into danger at all. Especially when it's a woman he can barely resist admitting he's in love with. Meanwhile, Robin wants to do the job, and she's good at it, and doesn't want to be seen as a liability because she's a woman. It's one of the main conflicts of the series, and something like this would bring it to a crisis point for everyone.

10/26/2019 - 9:13 pm

Devine said
Great to read others' thoughts. My pet idea is that Jago Ross gets killed (not by Charlotte) and Strike pursues the killer as Charlotte is the prime suspect.

Charlotte's pregnancy issue mentioned near the end of 4 had me wondering if the babies die or are unhealthy, but we'll see.

I think it was in Cuckoo’s Calling that Jago was mentioned having “a persistent drinking problem” and a temperament that is “vicious in the manner of an overbred, badly disciplined animal”. So there is a possible, if accidental, motive that could result in his death.

The inclusion of Charlotte’s pregnancy complications also had me wondering about the wellbeing of the babies. I think they will survive but there could be some sort of health condition. In which case, if she tries to abandon them and try and get back with Strike, that might ultimately cross one of his red lines…

Devine said
I've always presumed Strike would hook up with Charlotte again, but I'm not certain at all (maybe like 60% they will, 40% they won't). He seems pretty resigned to it and believes the relationship is appropriately and healthily over even in his own mind in Book 4. I'd really like to see Robin really burning and writhing with jealousy/angst like Cormoran has had to, though. I don't think they're on equal footing there at all as Robin has been attached to Matthew until now, and it's been made obvious to Robin in both cases that Strike doesn't really, ultimately care about Elin or Lorelei (I mean he respects them, kind of, but he's not too fussed in either case when they go). Charlotte would be a different animal for Robin--someone that has been inside his heart. Whether or not they're romantically attached again, that past between Strike/Charlotte will surely rankle for Robin, and I think that's appropriate for balance.

Having Robin attached to another man in a passing fashion might make sense, but I can't see that being a big part of it. We've done that. With Matthew. We're all set there.

I’m hoping that Strike and Charlotte never get together again, especially now that Robin is walking away from the clutches of Matthew, but I’m not hugely hopeful. We definitely haven’t seen the last of her and she appears to still have some hold over him, so I’m sure she’ll still cause some trouble and help ramp up Robin’s jealousy. There did seem a hint of jealousy from Robin during Lethal White so it would be good to see that magnified and it might be the avenue for Robin to finally realise her feelings for Strike are genuine. I do worry though that in a moment of weakness, Strike will give into Charlotte’s advances-possibly if Robin starts a new relationship or he makes a shocking discovery about his past. Unfortunately I can see Robin taking the same approach as Strike did when she and Matthew were together, in not commenting or expressing the true thoughts or feelings of the other’s relationship even if it could save them a lot of pain. So we’ll probably end up seeing Robin suffer in silence.

I would actually quite like book 5 to have both Robin & Strike single throughout. Robin so that she can get over her divorce, improve her mental health, and rediscover who she is. Strike so that he strengthens his family relationships with Jack and Lucy, and exorcise any remaining feelings for Charlotte. I am actually getting quite tired of how Strike gets a new girlfriend in each book and how he treats them each time - I do feel he needs time to mature before he’s ready for a serious relationship with Robin. I think as long as Robin is single, Strike will remain also in the hope that something might happen between them. I’m all in for Robin & Strike having some banter and flirting though in Strike5!

Devine said
No more Victim!Robin. I almost laughed at the scene with her on the boat at the end of 4. I was satisfied with the book, but found that part pretty cliche. We've had her in peril a lot. Let's get Strike in peril with her saving him!

I was actually alright with Robin being the ‘victim’ in Lethal White as I felt she showed her character growth in how she handled Raphael on the barge. Having said that, it did feel a bit cliche when Strike rescued her and I absolutely do agree it’s Strike’s turn to either be attacked/the victim/in peril.

Devine said

Long game:

Lay odds that they kiss in--
Book 5: 10% (too soon imo)
Book 6: 45%
Book 7: 35%
Book 8+: 10% (she'll have drawn it out too far imo)

With the kiss, I’m in the same mind with you that it would likely happen in book 6 or 7. I think Strike5 will be more about fully repairing their working relationship but also developing it into a genuine friendship. So hopefully opening up more to each other about their personal issues and socialising more often outside of a work environment; where they might have moved on to greeting one another with a hug or a peck on the cheek. That feels like the next stage, to me, in their slow burn relationship. I know JKR has mentioned she’s got 10 books planned but there’s confusion, at least on my part, to whether that is the entire series or 10 more after Career of Evil was published-which was when she mentioned that figure. If there keeps on being yearly time jumps between books Strike will be in his fifties before finally asking Robin out if JKR plans the whole series to be a “will they?/won’t they?”

Anubhab said
Dont know about book 5, but if JKR really wants to spice things up, then either one of Mathhew/Charlotte needs to die, and Strike needs to portrayed as the main suspect(bet the cops would love it) only for Robin to prove his innocence at the end. This would also increase the bonding between them.

I cannot help but feel that if Charlotte, or especially Matthew died, and with Strike potentially as the main suspect, it would feel like a predictable plot device to keep Robin & Strike apart just for the sake of it. Although you could say Robin & Cormoran getting together would be a cliche! I do like your idea of Strike being framed for a crime and it’s down to Robin to prove his innocence as that would certainly increase his love of her! I think after the divorce, which I reckon Matthew will make as difficult as possible, his role in the books will be done. I can only see him in a later book if Strike & Robin have to investigate his accountancy firm or someone linked to him. I could see Charlotte ultimately ending up in a mental health institute, or Strike places a restraining order on her. Or maybe Jago just takes her away and they live abroad. I think if Charlotte has to die, it would probably be an accidental death either by self harming or a drug overdose, maybe even trying to save Strike in some way. But I don’t think she’ll be murdered.

sonik0909 said
Not positive it will come in Book 5, but sadly my prediction is that Sam Barclay is SO dead.

The way these things work, "Galbraith" will need to raise the stakes by killing someone we care about. To make the dangers of this work believable, near misses and minor injuries won't be enough at some point. Someone needs to die (or at least be terribly, catastrophically injured). It needs to be a member of the team, someone we know and like and trust. And it obviously can't be Strike or Robin.

The way Barclay was introduced in Book 4, he has it written all over him. He wasn't so vital to the plot that he absolutely needed to exist. If the point was just that the agency needed more man-power, that could've been accomplished with bit-players like Andy and the other freelancers who aren't even named.

No, the point of bringing in Barclay was to make us like him. He's fun and relatable. He has a young family. He cracks jokes and "vapes" dope and blows the whistle on corruption in the army. We have to like him so we really feel the pain when he gets killed... and that day is coming.

I still do think Shanker may well be doomed but probably nearer the end of the series and in some sort of situation relating to Whittaker or Rokeby.

10/23/2019 - 3:19 am

Long game:

Lay odds that they kiss in--
Book 5: 10% (too soon imo)
Book 6: 45%
Book 7: 35%
Book 8+: 10% (she'll have drawn it out too far imo)

I think Charlotte killed Strike's mother. Well, had Whittaker kill her maybe. Just because Charlotte sucks, they met when he was 19, and his mom died when he was 20, right?

Anubhab
10/07/2019 - 10:55 pm

sonik0909
09/07/2019 - 5:38 pm

joqliqyxaze
07/28/2019 - 11:31 pm

ZefEMh ltxtdnqbxter, tauybpvbnnvv, [link=http://qcajwcfqiaqe.com/]qcajwcfqiaqe[/link], http://kxhxipurktvw.com/

06/30/2019 - 9:47 am

Since Eric Bloom is a real life person, there is no way he can be Strike's fictional father. Besides, there is too much emphasis in the book on the paternity test to leave any doubt as to the 'real' (fictional) father.

I so wish that JKR would resuscitate her Twitter account to give us an update. Just knowing that's she's really working on it would be enough for me.

06/20/2019 - 1:49 am

I'm interested to find out more why you don't believe Rokeby is Strike's father? I recently re-read the books and there were comments both about a DNA test being done to confirm Rokeby's paternity with Cormoran and that Leda never "got" Eric Bloom. I had no idea anyone believed there was a question to it.

I could see Matthew being a dick about the divorce and dragging it out as much as possible, even though they basically just have finances to figure out. Hopefully once divorce is final we won't see him anymore. It seems like there will be another time jump, as JKR wrote on twitter about writing about Robin's 29th birthday and we didn't even get to the point of her 28th yet at the end of Lethal White.

Joanne
06/19/2019 - 6:50 pm

Thoughts about Venetiahall’s interesting points in post 39:

1. Yes, I agree that there will be a new office in book 5. The real question I have is where will Cormoran’s new place to live end up being? I can’t see him getting a roommate like Robin and the cost of living in London was the reason he had such a poor excuse for a flat (apartment) all through the first four books. It seems like any new office will also need to have another area where he can set up house—just like the old place?

2. Agree about the contractors and the need for a new secretary. Be interesting to see who it ends up being since Robin would probably would not want the new secretary to be too attractive (if she’s honest with herself) but they do need someone very efficient. Be interesting to see who it ends up being. Vanessa and Eric Wardle are both here to stay. Hope Shanker is back in the thick of things in book 5. I also hope we see more of Mitch Patterson from Lethal White as I think Mitch makes a nice addition to the ongoing series as a rival/antagonist to Cormoran’s alpha male detective.

3. I think that Matthew will still be around in book 5 since I read that divorces (even uncontested) in England take at least a year. I don’t expect Matthew to make it easy for Robin even though he was clearly the cheating partner. This is mainly because in Matt’s mind he no doubt truly believes that Robin was also cheating; if for no other reason to make him self feel the injured party.

4. Charlotte will definitely be coming back into Cormoran’s life to stir things up. Unfortunately, it seems that both Robin and Cormoran will find themselves entangled with their former ill-fated romantic partners during the final “death throes” of their relationships in book 5. Charlotte does have the "threatening to kill herself" in her background to emotionally blackmail Cormoran so it will be interesting to see what she tries to pull in book 5.

5. I don’t see Cormoran and Robin starting to get together until book 6 and I think that the thing that will finally get Cormoran to act is when Robin is free and other men start to move in to date her. Strike will realize that it’s now or never. Hopefully he picks the “now” option.

6. One of the only two bits of information that JKR has given out about book 5 is that we will be seeing Al Rokeby again in Book 5. I confess I’m one of those who is not 100% sure that Al Rokeby is Cormoran’s father. There are enough discrepancies (dates and story wise) that I’m more inclined to believe his father will ultimately prove to be someone besides Jonny Rokeby.

Having said that, I was a bit surprised to see that the actor they hired to play Al Rokeby in the BBC series is a dead ringer for the actor playing Cormoran Strike. Since JKR is an executive producer of the show—I would think that she might have said something about having too close a physical resemblance between the half-brothers if Strike really isn’t related.

In the book it is quite clear that Cormoran is not supposed to look anything like Jonny Rokeby—and so his half-brother shouldn’t either, but in the show he does. I’m going to put this down to the casting director thinking the audience needed to see a physical resemblance since they would expect to see it (not that I’m complaining on the way they look!).

Final note—I totally agree that the next book needs to start filling in some of the hard facts about Strike's family story. The questions surrounding his father and the facts around his mother’s background and her murder. Somehow I feel the two are connected—else why the mystery? And why, after four books, have we still not seen Jonny Rokeby walk onto the pages of his “son’s” story?

StMawes: 40