BOOK 5 PREDICTIONS | Discuss Cormoran Strike! | Discuss

BOOK 5 PREDICTIONS
12/08/2018 - 1:37 pm

Antosha said

Huh. Having worked in publishing for most of my adult life, I can tell you... That's amazing. Actually, it makes sense. They know they've got a large book coming, so they're setting everything up ahead of time. Still, you don't see that kind of timeline outside of non-fiction very often!

I can imagine JKR being high priority at her publishing house 😉 Even so, it's probably too optimistic to think the book will be finished at the end of next year (mind you, it doesn't have to be published yet to be turned into a screenplay), but hey, a girl can dream 😉

Antosha
12/07/2018 - 6:04 pm

Antosha said

This seems a bit too much.

Rowling announced on Twitter that she finished Lethal White on 23 March and it was published on 18 September - approximately six months.

Same with Career of Evil. She tweeted that she finished the book on 24 April 2015 and the book was published some time in October.

12/07/2018 - 8:17 am

Antosha said

This seems a bit too much.

Antosha
12/06/2018 - 3:10 am

Kaqu said
It might be terribly optimistic, but would it be possible that JKR is quite a way into the next book already, and that they will film LW and this next one back to back at the end of next year?

For a book like these, there's usually at least a full year between when the manuscript is submitted and the book comes out -- sometimes more like two. Think of it this way: We know she's still writing. Even once she's finished, she'll want to do rewrites. Then, once she's happy, there's editing, marketing, publicity, design -- and that's not even mentioning the months it takes to get tens or hundreds of thousands of paper copies printed.

So as wonderful as it would be if you were right... I think the soonest we can expect the fifth book is summer 2020.

melanie
12/02/2018 - 6:38 am

It's just so great that JK is working on book 5 I'm really excited...I was a little worried about the time jump but then I realized that there was such thing in LW and it actually was really good cause there were flashbacks so technically we didn't miss anything...I'm also really happy that Al Rokeby is coming back in the new book cause he seemed such an interesting character and he was so handsome too:)) I hope that he'd have an important role in book 5...since we've never seen the real jealous Cormoron I want Al to fall for Robin...Robin is probably single in the new book so she deserves to be in other relationship except that shitty marriage and it would be really interesting to see that Cormoran's half brother and Robin attract to eachother...maybe it would make Cormoran finally realize that he's actually in love with his work partner.

11/29/2018 - 8:23 am

Clive
11/29/2018 - 7:52 am

I was also worried about the possible time jump, but then LW wasn’t at all like I would have wanted and it turned out great, so obviously I trust JK Rowling to know what’s best for the characters.

If we do start in late 2013, assuming they’re not together, I hope they’re both single. I would be happy enough with them focused on the work and enjoying being friends, but I’m not sure what you gain from putting Strike in another one-sided relationship. Robin I don’t know – I’ve never been through a divorce. It has been entertaining to see them both jealous of each other’s partners without wanting to admit it, but I’m not sure that can go on.

I’m mostly just excited that JK Rowling is already working on the book. Do we think it could be published before LW is shown on TV?

Joanne
11/24/2018 - 7:43 pm

Yesterday (Friday, Nov. 23, 2018) Rowling/Galbraith) gave us (on her Twitter account) a bit of information about Book 5. The biggest piece of information was that she was at that moment writing about Robin's inner dialogue on her 29th birthday!?

I was a bit shocked since I was just re-reading Lethal White and had just come across where Robin is asked how old she is by Jasper Chiswell and she says she's 27 (Chapter 15 page 148). Her birthday is in October and book 4 ends in September 2012 before her 28th birthday.

We don't know which chapter JKR's working on but my hope is that she has actually been working on book 5 for awhile and has moved on into 2013, rather than book 5 starting in 2013 (so it jumps ahead a whole year like in book 4). That jump was OK since we missed a lot of Robin and Matt and sad Cormoran but Robin and Cormoran had actually gotten into a good place at the end of book 4--so losing a year now wouldn't be good.

JKR also mentioned that Al Rokeby would be returning in book 5--but didn't answer if Jonny Rokeby would ever be making an appearance. I had scenarios worked out for book 5 when I thought it would pick up where 4 left off but now I'm not so sure that's the case. I'll have to rethink everything I thought might happen in light of this new info.

11/05/2018 - 5:28 pm

wvjilly said
Hi!

I've just discovered this website and have just begun to look around. I feel absolutely obsessed since I read LW, and re-read it, then listened to it... 🙂

Hey! I've read LW once and now savoring it by listening to all the books in order in English for the first time (in the middle of the Silkworm right now). And hopefully when I'm done LW will be out in here.

wvjilly said

I wonder what others think of the idea of a kidnapping while helping Rokeby with some problem and including an abroad trip? I've gone through several scenarios in my head about who might be kidnapped and who might be the saving hero(ine), but I just keep thinking that if Robin is in a life and death situation for days, it might make Strike realize he needs to declare his feelings, working relationship be damned. And if the story line involves Rokeby, it might involve travel abroad. Of course, they would need to be solvent enough as an agency to be flying here and there, so maybe this won't happen in Book 5. If Rokeby would meet Robin and they'd like each other (as in some characteristics he and Strike have in common draws her to him), then Rokeby was the saving factor for Robin in a dangerous place, might that not heal things a bit between Strike and his dad?

Somewhere online I read a prediction that Strike and Robin's wedding will occur at the beginning of Book 7. ( I was rather amazed at such a specific prediction, but there were reasons given.) I kind of like that idea. It would give Book 5 time for them to be a little more relaxed together, then Book 6 to actually be in a publicly acknowledged relationship.

I am totally up for their foreign trips. I mean I adore their just road trips. Imagine them going somewhere overseas. Bless those two! (And Jo.) No matter what the reason of the trip will be.

Oh I've read about that wedding predictions yesterday actually. I must say I disagree with the reasoning they gave (as far as I understood it was about parallels with HP books). But I still want them to get married no doubt!) And I really like your timeframe for it.

Also I've read on the same website an interesting theory. It states that Rokeby is not Strike's real dad. They have pretty convincing reasons there, but I still don't buy it. Or I thought I didn't. Because now ALL I can here now whenever Rokeby is mentioned in Silkworm (as I'm listening to it) is that Strike doesn't look like him at all. Thought by Robin, thought by Strike himself. And practically everyone else. Here's the theory http://www.hogwartsprofessor.c.....al-father/

wvjilly said

Also, I'll just throw it out there that I'm excited about their new office space. I'm thinking they might repurpose an old building with a nice loft for living that would be plenty handy and big enough for two. 🙂

I love Robin's brothers. What a gang! They are so onboard! I'm sure her mom will pretty soon realise how happy she is.
And one of my favourite things to be excited about is the highest possibility of their new office space on book 5. It's going to be such a turning point in the whole series.

wvjilly
11/04/2018 - 5:43 pm

Hi!

I'm hoping Robin's family will be more a part of one of the future books. I think her brothers are already onboard for liking him and her mother will come around, I'm sure.

I'm so glad I found this website and can't wait to look around more. I'm excited to find others who are as immersed in this as I am!!!

10/29/2018 - 6:24 pm

Charlotte had a way too big part in Lethal White not to make an appearance in book 5. She sounds like a borderline personality disorder patient. She has gotten the cold shoulder from Strike, he's done with her hurting him. This won't go down lightly with Charlotte. She will do anything to make him care about her again because she does not want to be abandoned by him. This is going to continue for sure.

Rutland Belle
10/28/2018 - 7:41 pm

As they’ve been in the news a lot recently I was thinking, could the Invictus Games feature in a future book?

A sporting event for injured veterans, the brain child of Prince Harry. Even sponsored by Land Rover. There seem a lot of links to what we’ve read so far.

Can’t really see Strike competing at this stage (you never know!) but he has been known to swim. Boxing is not one of the events. Maybe he will become a super fit athlete. Like I say, you never know!

10/20/2018 - 11:45 pm

Lady Danièle said

Ooh, what an interesting thought! Imagine the baby goes missing, and Strike knows full well it was not wanted. His inside knowledge would be torture, and, of course, baby-free Charlotte would be working her charms on him for all she is worth.

Lady Danièle
10/20/2018 - 7:23 pm

I think a new case involving the disappearance of Charlotte or her baby after giving birth would make for an interesting twist. After all she did tell Strike that she didn't want the child. This could be a nice set up for tension between Strike and Robin, along with new, yet mentioned characters like Jago Ross and Charlotte's father. Could also stretch the stability of relationships with Lucy, Ilsa and Nick? Thoughts?

10/18/2018 - 2:22 am

Chiming in with my hopes and guesses about Book 5:

1. I hope it starts right up with curry at Nick and Ilsa's, and that Spanner is there, flirting with Robin. Strike will have to cope with seeing Robin interact with another man who fancies her.
Now that Robin has some friends (and her new roommate) they can help her sort out her feelings. But I'm a big fan of the slow burn so I hope it takes the whole book!

2. I think Whittaker will be back. He's the only villain who didn't get his just deserts.

3. Strike's half-brother Switch Whittaker is old enough now to cause trouble somehow, so I think
he'll figure in. Or maybe he'll ask them to investigate Leda's death? Isn't he the same age Cormoran was when Leda died (20?)

4. I think Strike won't willingly have anything to do with Charlotte, but I would like to see Robin get the better of her somehow. Did Charlotte ever meet Leda, I wonder?

5. The Whittaker family connection could mean that they are up in Yorkshire, where Robin and her family would have the contacts and Robin could take the lead in the investigation. I'd love to see the Ellacotts interacting more with Cormoran, especially in a domestic setting.

10/14/2018 - 5:51 pm

Here are a few predictions I have:

1. A case could lead both to either Masham or St Mawes.

2. There could be a case where someone impersonates a soldier in the RMP and they need Strikes help for some reason.

3. I cannot see them persuading a case where they have to search for a hacker (both are not very talented with computers; Robin knows a bit more than Strike about computers) at least not in book 5

4. The next case could be a hate-crime against any minority (gays, immigrants, etc.).

5. We are definitely going to meet Robins roommate. Like him already. I hope Nick and Ilsa are going to pop up too.

6. Robin and Cormoran could have trouble with their exes (Charlotte more likely than Matthew).

7. Cormoran and Robin could have the same case as Mitch Patterson (rival PI) and they try to outdo each other. LaughWink

10/13/2018 - 7:21 pm

Joanne said
7. Finally—I come to what will be the current case of book 5 and I will have to give that some thought. At this moment I’m not sure but another interesting thing took place at the very end of book 4. Twice—once in the next to last paragraph of page 646 and again in the next to last paragraph of page 647—a place called Finsbury Park was mentioned. I just thought this was a bit strange. It could be nothing but Finsbury Park is located in Harringay and Harringay always makes me remember the Harringay Crime Syndicate and Terrance “Digger” Malley.

Oh my! This is such a good idea!

riverlynn said

So I was on a Tom Burke marathon then and I found this cute and really good short film called "The Brunchers", about a couple, Tom Burke and Natalie Dormer, trying to find quirky, trendy brunch in London. I think we can imagine this short film, as a picture of Cormoran and Robin's domestic life, if they decide to be a couple. Since Tom's character in this is rather similar with Cormoran, and Natalie here is a bubbly blonde like Robin 🙂

Was going to watch it long time ago. Thanks! Love the idea!

10/13/2018 - 3:39 pm

novelwriter08 said

I'd love to see her do a copy-cat Jack the Ripper type book! Or, maybe their fame at handling cases gets around and they're called in on a cold case from a few years ago but not as far back as the killing Billy thought he saw. Something from a year before maybe? Or an international thing. I absolutely want to see more of them interacting with other detective types though, not necessarily police or freelancers.

As for Charlotte and Robin, I think Robin will outsmart Charlotte and be able shut down any plot she has to harm Strike. Not that he can't take care of himself, I just think she needs to be the one to shut it down for him.

Oh pleease, Jack the Ripper type case, I would want to read it so bad, it'd kinda feel like a Sherlock Holmes novel isn't it. Career of Evil is pretty similar already. I want them facing real horror together tailing or being chased by experienced murderer again (oh my I sound psycho). We got the sense of horror and urgency in Lethal White, when they were chased by dogs in the middle of the night. Unsolved cold cases reopened? And yes I agree with you with Robin shutting down Charlotte, but I don't think I can handle the drama and conflict ensues.

Also agree with your list Conchie!

I just graduated, and enjoying my free time so I find myself a bit hard to move on from Lethal White.

Joanne
10/13/2018 - 2:42 pm

Do you know the handwritten chart on Robert Galbraith's homepage where Robin is a PA of a CEO?

When still guessing about book four, many (including me) thought that this may relate to Lethal White. But it doesn't, does it?

So is it a chart related to book 5 then?

I really don't think we will see this particular chart put to use. I think it was more just to show how they plan out a job--and this particular job was one of the cancelled jobs when the leg arrived at the office in Career of Evil.

I really hope that JKR starts writing Book 5 soon--she mentioned that she thinks it will be the next book she works on--but she didn't say for sure. I fear if she works on the children's book after finishing the 3rd Fantastic Beasts script--that we will have another 3 year wait between Bk 4 and Bk 5 Cry

10/13/2018 - 10:54 am

So is it a chart related to book 5 then?