Book 4 Predictions | Page 6 | Discuss Cormoran Strike! | Discuss

Register Members

Book 4 Predictions
01/21/2018 - 11:23 pm

I've been wondering if Lethal White will be set in either Yorkshire or Cornwall? If it is indeed set in the equestrian world as some people have suggested due to the title.

Our dynamic duo might want to spend some time away from London and the press aftermath of their last case and they stumble into a case while away? but then again London is such a big part of these books, another character practically! so If they do spend any time away from it I doubt it would be a large part of the book.

01/24/2018 - 2:44 pm

Hi everybody, happy to join in on the discussion - there have been some excellent points made for LW. I just have a few observations to add.

Shapeburn said

Regarding the setting, I don't believe that C&R will avoid London and miss out on the publicity of catching the Shacklewell ripper. Remember, Cormoran tells Shanker explicitly at the end of CoE that he needs the press attention to solidify his business. I think there are stiill a few installments left to pay Jonny Rokeby back. So I would guess that in LW we will see the business finally flourishing, and Cormoran and Robin being able to afford a secretary.

I do, however, believe they will be some excursions; there's at least one confirmed trip to Masham, for Jonathan's upcoming wedding around october (don't know if anyone has already mentioned it). So, I could imagine that if Matthew and Robin don't split at their own wedding at the very beginning of LW, Robin splitting with Matt at or before her brothers wedding seems like full circle. In any case, there will be the stark contrast of what a happy couple marrying eachother should look like (I know, total conjecture on my part, that Jonathan is in a happy relationship, but another unhappily coupled Ellacott would be just too much) , and Robin's own pathetic experience of it all.

But I do wish there will be a shared trip to Cornwall at some point - maybe even for their Kairos-moment? But I would guess this will only take later, my guess would be book 5.
Did you know, by the way, that the surname "Ellacott" originates in Cornwall? Just another indicator that Robin and Cormoran were destined for eachother from the start.

EDIT: Sorry, looked it up, and it's STEPHEN's wedding in october, not Jonathan's (he's he baby of the family, so a marriage would be disturbing early). Interestingly enough, out of the four Ellacott siblings, he is the only one we haven't heard from yet (probably the reason, why he isn't listed as one of the characters..?) ! I'm very curious to know, what he is like and what he does for a living.

02/04/2018 - 8:08 am

Impulse said

See I was reading some of career of evil the other day and I think Shanker! could be the new assistant we were teased.
And I reckon Robin will move in with Ekwenzi and finally have a friend to gossip with and stuff. And I think it will be better this way, or maybe it's a house share and they're living together that way. I want Robin to have a genuine friend and feel this is a better way.
Plus when I noticed how in awe Shanker was in the showdown in coe and his seemingly new admiration for strike, I just couldn't get the idea out of my head he will be the new assistant, I think it could be great.
I think the set up will be better this way, but I'm probably completely wrong lol.

Usually dreams don't come true but if Robin doesn't marry Matthew and is single in LW, rents a flat or moves in with Ekwenzi and starts being friends with her it will be close to a dream come true! I would love for Robin to meet Ilsa and Nick in the fourth book, they might be Cormoran's friends but I believe they will have an amazing time all together!
I would like for Shanker's character to have more presence in the next books but since the nature of his activities are a bit "shady" I can't see him in the role of the assistant... But J.K Rowling is an excellent writer and might find a way to fit him in!

02/04/2018 - 3:46 pm

Robin has already met Nick and Ilsa, but we've never witnessed them together. At one point Ilsa even asks Strike about Robin and how things are going with her and if she's still getting married (wink wink). However, I'd LOVE to see robin interact with Strike's gang!

Regarding Shanker, I agree with Catlin for several reasons. The most important would be that they simply don't make enough money to attract Shanker; second, Shanker is so much part of the London underground world that I can't see him leaving that and working a office job; and third, Cormoran is VERY acute when it comes to his cases being airtight so they won't get thrown out in court, Shanker being part of the day to day work would be quite counterproductive.

Impulse, Robin and Vanessa living together would be BRILLIANT! And so believable - really love it!

02/04/2018 - 4:07 pm

it!

I would imagine J.K Rowling would write an actual scene where Robin meets Cormoran's best friends and from the translation I didn't get the fact that they actually have met! I always thought Ilsa knew about Robin only from things Cormoran has said to them anyway I hope then on an actual scene where they will spend time together and have some fun even if Robin and Cormoran are not a couple (yet)

02/04/2018 - 4:20 pm

It's mentioned in chapter 11, that Ilsa likes robin, and between the lines it's apparent that they must've met (and probably a couple more of his friends, who "called in at the office")

02/04/2018 - 4:38 pm

Kalliope do you remember why Sarah is still invited in the wedding after Robin found out about her affair with Matthew? Did Robin ever mentioned she didn't want her there or she didn't care at all?
Career of evil is the one book of the series I can't re-read because of the end ok and because of the middle and I can't recall some things. 🙂

02/04/2018 - 5:04 pm

Yes, Robin decides against disinviting Sarah, because she does not want to show that she _only just_ found out about their affair.
Pretty stupid, if you ask me, as Matthew probably told Sarah at some point that Robin doesn't know about their history (especially since they had a row about Robin not wanting to have Sarah at the wedding in the first place at the beginning of the SW).

02/04/2018 - 5:10 pm

Thanks! I couldn't remember about that at all!
I agree that it's stupid! She wouldn't want her presence in Matthew's life if she had found earlier about their affair!
In your personal opinion do you believe that Matthew kept having intimate relations with Sarah when things weren't good in his relationship with Robin?
Might be the reason as to why they are still close and why Sarah is so obsessed with him....

02/04/2018 - 5:47 pm

Thanks! I couldn't remember about that at all!

Funny you should ask that, because I've been thinking about that for some time. I do believe that Matt loves Robin, BUT we all know that people even cheat on their loved ones, especially when there's conflict, or they have self-worth issues, or are when thy're generally narcissistic. And we know he did it primarily to feel good about himself, because he felt rejected by Robin.

It might be a possibilty that he'd slept with her even after uni. I thought that at some point she'd asked him directly whether it had only happened then; but i checked and that never actually happened. He only wrote in his text message that it was only one time (for 18 months), and it hadn't happened since. So, I do think there's a possibility he'd slept with Sarah when she and Strike were on their trip to Barrow, after she declines to go to his father's birthday. Because that's when he stopped texting her.

02/04/2018 - 6:06 pm

Funny you should ask that, because I've been thinking about that for some time.

I believe his love is misplaced! I do understand that it's an issue of someone's character to cheat or not but Matthew loves the image he has for Robin they way she used to be after her abuse! He doesn't like what she really is and it started to show the moment she started to do something she loves!

Despite the fact that J.K Rowling used the word "imagination" at that point in The Silkworm where after their fight Robin slept in the sofa and the next day went early to work to avoid him his thought made me think that he might cheat on her every time his ego is at his low!
He thought of Robin going to the building but instead of going to the office she went to Cormoran's flat where he was expecting her to cheat on him because they had a fight!
I don't know though if it's because of his previous actions or because it's something he does the times he has problems with Robin!

02/04/2018 - 10:33 pm

Been thinking about how we could rescue Robin, in case she actually does go through with the vows and everything. So, I've looked up the annulment laws in the UK and there seem to be several options left, even after the "i do" (and in case this is where JKR is heading, I have a feeling that our favourite detective KNOWS about stuff like that - or he will be smart and call Ilsa and she can save the day):

2. Your marriage is defective - ‘voidable’ marriages
You can annul a marriage if:

A) it wasn’t consummated - you haven’t had sex with the person you married since the wedding (doesn’t apply for same sex couples)

That seems VERY likely to me. They will be rowing, Robin will be crying, there will be no sex.

B) you didn’t properly consent to the marriage - eg you were drunk or forced into it

Matt being the manipulating wanker that he is, this also seems like a realistic solution to me.

C) the other person had a sexually transmitted disease when you got married

Maybe less likely, but indefinitely more satisfying (haha) because not only will he be exposed as the lying arsehole he it, but his (possible) cheating will come back to haunt him in the most poetic way.

You can look up everything here: https://www.gov.uk/how-to-annul-marriage

02/05/2018 - 12:03 am

I'm going to re post something here that didn't belong in another thread I posted it in lol, sorry about that.

02/05/2018 - 7:54 am

Impulse said

I just can't see Shanker being an assistant. Ha is a shady guy with shady dealings and he loves that life, he is not the type of character that will want to change. Also, he is Strike the best connection to the underbelly of London, they would not want to lose that.

I think is much more likely that Alyssia will stay on as an assistant and true her Shanker will be a more permanent fixture in the office?

02/05/2018 - 10:29 am

Leafling said

I think shanker is definitely going to be involved with the investigation now, and if something goes down at the wedding he will definitely be involved in the next case.
I was just thinking about his reaction the last couple if chapters of coe, and how he helped both cormoran and robin to bring someone down.
I think he's really up for it and he can still be shady and have friends, I actually see him more of an assistant who just comes in when he wants too lol.
I think by his reaction that bringing these people down gives him the same buzz as when he's doing his shady stuff, I can just see him being like I didn't realise there was so much paperwork and stuff and him just ending up doing the more physical stuff.

02/05/2018 - 10:36 am

Impulse said

I agree with everything you wrote, but when you say "assistant" I picture someone answering emails and phone calls.

02/06/2018 - 1:30 pm

Leafling said

I know which just makes it more funny.

02/14/2018 - 10:34 am

I bring the discussion about Charlotte’s baby here as I think it is rather out of topic under “Lethal white publication”.

I seem to remember that some high society magazine published an engagement photo spread about Jago Ross and Charlotte's marriage. If she was pregnant (far enough along to know it at the start, when Cormoran breaks up with her) it would be pretty difficult to conceal it for very long under that sort of public scrutiny ... although, according to the timeline, everything including Charlotte's wedding happens within the space of a couple of months.

My thinking is that Charlotte and Jago were not under constant scrutiny by the press, it was only one article in the Tatler magazine where they were featured, right before the wedding. (Otherwise you are certainly right and a pregnancy should have been apparent.)

As to the timeline: once I put it together for myself (and even shared it on this site). I copy it here:

“Charlotte first told Strike that she was pregnant one month before they broke up. As they broke up on the 28th of March, it was late February, meaning that the first day of her last period was probably around late January. If I put this date in a pregnancy due date calculator, it gives me early November. Strike learnt about her wedding and bought the Tatler magazine on the 24th of November.”

So by the time of the article (on or 1-2 days before the 24th of November) the baby (if any, of course) should have already been born.

But don’t get me wrong. It’s not that I’m convinced about the baby. It’s merely something that I find possible. Just bcause of two things: this exact timeline, and that very lively dream of Strike about the baby.

02/14/2018 - 11:17 am

A photoshoot for a magazine isn't made the month or the week of it's publication so it might have been November's issue but that doesn't mean the interview and the photoshoot took place that exact month.

And my question remains! Why not use this baby to pressure Cormoran to show up before she gets married as she did with the sms but instead of "was yours" she only had to use "is yours." It would the perfect way to make him go for sure and "save" her from Jago and as Charlotte is described I doubt she would lose the opportunity to use it in her favour.

Also I can't but insist that a crime novel isn't a place for honeymoon scenes or paternity issue drama and if J.K Rowling wants to write about such things she should start wrting different genre novels. God I'm starting to miss Agatha Christie style crime novels!

02/14/2018 - 11:49 am

Yes, it probably takes some time but I don’t think it’s too much. My guess it’s a week the most. They want to be up to date.

I see your point, and I don’t know the answer. Maybe Charlotte wanted to take things to the extreme. Why did she wait with the “was yours” until the wedding day? Maybe she just went crazy and only thinks about hurting Strike the most. Maybe the baby is actually not Strike’s, she’ll just claim it’s his? Maybe she doesn’t want the baby and they are not “out” with it, maybe it has some disability (mental?) and want to hide it from the world, keep it in an institution? (In that certain dream the baby had allegedly something wrong with it.) It could allow Rowling to bring in her favourite subject of institutionized children. And, of course, maybe there is no baby at all. 🙂

Hmm, there are around twenty active people on this forum, hundreads of comments, but hardly any of them deal with the misteries. Practically, none of them. Notice, that you neither. 🙂

Currently Online: LindMea