Book 4 Predictions | Page 5 | Discuss Cormoran Strike! | Discuss

Book 4 Predictions
07/11/2017 - 7:27 pm

LindMea said
Plus, Matthew actually BLOCKED Strike's number. Robin is definitely going to figure this out pretty quickly, and I don't think Matthew will be able to get his hands on her phone before she does - if the topic of Strike phoning her comes up in their first conversation, she is going to check her phone at the very first opportunity. She is DEFINITELY going to find out what Matthew did.

Edited to add: Plus, Matthew has a history of going through her devices and snooping (UGH. HE IS THE WORST). So I don't think it'll be much of a leap for her to make - she is a detective, after all!

But what if it doesn't come up in the beginning of the fourth book and Matthew get's a chance on fix the things he can, for example unblock Strike's number and excuse himslef by saying that he deleted her calling history by accident when he picked up the phone to talk to her dad?
Actually my question was if there is any posibility that the phone thing doesn't come up in the first chapters and Robin goes on with her married life without knowing what Matthew did or she finds out about it much later!
Could it be posible for JKR to torture us for many chapters with will she won't she find out...?

07/11/2017 - 7:15 pm

~~~ Follow me on Tumblr | Find my Strike Series Fanfic on A03 ~~~

07/11/2017 - 7:13 pm

I am not sure whether I fully get what you mean... I think it would come up at the very latest after two weeks (if Robin did indeed go with Matthew on honeymoon - which I don't really think, or if she chose not to go with him but stood at home for the two weeks to arrange her thoughts, and Cormoran and Robin didn't talk during that time.)

I'm still a bit confused where you are getting at... Even if Matthew makes the phone disappear, It will naturally happen after the wedding, whereas Robin will (we assume) find out that Strike called before. She will definately remember that Matthew had her phone in his hands on their way home.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough!

About the first thing:
Cormoran will ask her to come back to work for him and I meant, could Robin go back to work without mentioning to him that it really hurt her that he didn't attempt to contact her after the way he fired her!

Second thing:
Matthew already excused himself by telling her that it was her father calling about their wedding trip and if he does something else to her phone so she doesn't find out about what he did she will only asume things without being certain!

07/11/2017 - 6:57 pm

07/11/2017 - 6:07 pm

Do you believe there is the slightest possibility of Robin not finding out in the first chapters of the fourth book what Matthew did with her phone?

I think it is pretty likely that she'll find out the phone thing.

If so, how would this matter come up again in the future?
I can't imagine Cormoran in a line like: "Hey Robin do you remember the voicemail that I send you hours before your wedding? Well, so rude of you to still avoiding the subject!"
Can you imagine how would the matter come up again, weeks or months after it happend?

It must not necessarily come from Cormoran's side. I can easily see Robin asking him why he didn't contact him before. OK, it's nice that he turned up on the wedding, beaten up and dirty clothes, she was really happy about it, but maybe he could have called before....

And, also, I already commented somewhere before: out of the three major cases they have solved until now, Strike only let Robin know the solution in the second book. OK, in the first one, she was only a temporary secretary at Strike, so we may understand. And at least he told her that he knows who the killer was. In the third book, however, Robin was deeply involved, she was a partner to Strike. I would perfectly understand Robin if she resented him not letting her know his revelation, and his planned actions. And she would mention it, I think. And - he would answer that he had called to tell her everything, but she didn't answer or call back. I indeed think that he called her not only to say that he was sorry for sacking her but he wanted to let her know what he was up to.

That's a good point about Robin being the one to ask of Cormoran to explain himself but could she go back to work with him and mention that he didn't call her after weeks or months? Also by then there would be no evidence left that Matthew did in on purpose and once again he would get away with it with Robin being the deceived one!

07/11/2017 - 5:15 pm

I think it is pretty likely that she'll find out the phone thing.

If so, how would this matter come up again in the future?

07/11/2017 - 3:33 pm

Hi you all! I had some questions and I saw this topic more accurate to add them!

You can blame my questions in the lack of imagiation of my part in this matter I think!
If so, how would this matter come up again in the future?

Let's suppose it isn't coming up and Matthew might be an ass but he isn't stupid so if Robin goes back to working with Cormoran to hide what he did, he could:
1. Break "accidentally" Robin's phone 2. "Accidentally" lose her phone 3. Claim there was a problem and by trying to fix it he "accidentally" erased her calling history!
Where does that leave Robin? Only supposing that he might did on purpose but she could never be sure!
The only way the whole thing could backfire on Matthew is if he doesn't know that Robin had the chance to speak in private with Cormoran and the matter came up and supposes he still has time to fix things but Robin already saw her phone and realized what he did and this only can work in the first chapters!
What do you guys think?

07/11/2017 - 11:32 am

LindMea said

As for when the fourth book comes out... we haven't really had any hints, have we. BUT I don't think that Rowling would have released the title without the book being finished, or almost finished. Hasn't she said before that the title page is the last thing she writes?

She writes, yes. I've just seen that the exact wording was "Robert shares my only writing superstition, which is that I only type the title page of a novel once the book's finished." If you think about it, she has never typed it. At least not that I know.

07/08/2017 - 7:17 am

I've found the previous Moirai header of Rowling (a Flemish tapestry) from January.

But as she stated that she was working on two new novels at the same time, the Moirai may not be a direct reference to the Strike books. On the other hand, at least partially it should be, because she also said that she is trying to come up with headers that sums up everything she is working on at the moment.

So I think we may not be wrong if we assume that the motive of the three women she often comes up with can relate to Robin, Leda and Charlotte.

07/07/2017 - 9:35 am

LindMea said

SO I did some digging, and Rowling's current header is a shot of part of the funerary monument for Count Friedrich Wilhelm Moritz Alexander von der Mark, 4 January 1779 , died August 1, 1787 - he was the illegitimate son of Frederick William II of Prussia, and according to Wikipedia he was thought to be poisoned.

This is VERY interesting. The elements are, basically, an illegitimate dead child, succumbing to a mysterious illness (poison). Seems like it could fit with Lethal White, maybe??

Wow, thanks for the research! Great!

Very interesting. Will the mystery in Lethal White be a poisoning? Could well be!

The sculpture itself, according (again) to Wikipedia is the Moirai - the Fates from Greek myth. Apparently "They controlled the mother thread of life of every mortal from birth to death. They were independent, at the helm of necessity, directed fate, and watched that the fate assigned to every being by eternal laws might take its course without obstruction".

Not sure how this applies! But again, veeryyy interesting.

It is, indeed. Especially because from what Joanne in the other topic wrote (the comment I quoted above) it seems that it is (at least) the second time Rowling uses a header about the Moirai. Remember, she wrote: JKR's previous header portrayed "The Triumph of Death" and the 3 Greek Sister Goddesses--Fate. [I thought that the 3 sister repetition might point to the 3 women in Cormoran's life: Robin, Charlotte and Leda.]

Unfortunately I don't remember Rowling's previous Twitter headers, I didn't pay attention before I read about them from Joanne. But I believe her. 🙂

07/06/2017 - 8:00 pm

LindMea said

An interview next week?!! Where was this?

In CNN international on monday, for Christiane Amanpour, is about Lumos and 20 years of Harry Potter!

07/06/2017 - 7:15 pm

Pamela Fizler said

J.K. is going to bring news for the fans in a interview next week, i hope that is about Cormoran Strike, it doesn't cost to dream kkkk

An interview next week?!! Where was this?

~~~ Follow me on Tumblr | Find my Strike Series Fanfic on A03 ~~~

07/06/2017 - 7:07 pm

Hi Pamela! I didn't know either how the publication proces of a book goes but I would be happy if we get in our hands the fourth book by December because we waited to long this time!
As for the header with white background and the cow I still can understand how this indicates to Charlotte, I guess in this matter I'm poor in imagination! lol
Something else I would like to mention is that if she brings a child with her that would complicate things further as they already are and I hope it's not the case! I hope she comes back out of boredom because of the "perfect" life she must display! But I still believe she must come back while Cormoran and Robin are in the beginning of their relationship because it will cause more sentimental angst, if she comes back now we only are going to see Robin jealous again as in the third book with Elin or it might help her realize how she feels about him?

Yeah, i agree with you, i don't like the idea that Charlotte can bring a child, come on, after all this time, serious? She is a selfish person that probably isn't happy that Strike hasn't been around her.

This theories about JKR'S headers are so nice! I finished to read Career of Evil again, and again can't forget the last part of it 😂

07/06/2017 - 7:02 pm

It was somebody here on strikefans.com (under the topic "Strike/Charlotte Relationship") detailing it. I copy it here for you:

"I don't know how many people here have been following JK Rowling's Twitter page (I'm not on Twitter but I check it online). JKR has been updating different Twitter headers over the months--and lately she has updated more than usual. She has stated that her headers always reflect what she is working on--and I don't doubt that she's working hard on book 4 "Lethal White". The latest header is an intense graphic of a large crow that is shown in flight and coming-straight-at-you.

I immediately thought of Charlotte. A dark haired intense force of nature. Someone posted that he thought JKR was using the new image to portray the Celtic goddess Morrigan. I had to look that one up--but JKR's previous header portrayed "The Triumph of Death" and the 3 Greek Sister Goddesses--Fate. [I thought that the 3 sister repetition might point to the 3 women in Cormoran's life: Robin, Charlotte and Leda.]
Morrigan is also made up a 3 Sister deity and she is known as the Celtic Goddess of War. She is also a shapeshifter and can appear as a beautiful woman or a crow.

Where the story could apply to Cormoran (ex-soldier) and Charlotte (mental shapeshifter) is that Morrigan offers her love to the famous Celtic warrior Cúchulainn and he rejects her (or in some versions it is said that he ignores her). Morrigan in revenge then appears as different animals to trip him up during military battles--a dangerous game.

She keeps returning several more times to get his love but his continual rejection leads her to finally appear in the guise of an old woman washing a bloodied uniform at the ford of the river. This is an old myth that presages death--known as the "Washer at the Ford". When Cuchulainn passes by her as the old washer woman, she tells him that she's washing the clothes of a famous warrior by the name of Cúchulainn. Later that day as he falls in battle, Morrigan turns into a crow; flying to land on his shoulder as he dies. She has his attention at last.

I think Charlotte, like Morrigan will wait, but only so long. I think we will finally see her in "Lethal White". JKR won't be killing off Cormoran but to paraphrase Anton Chekhov: If you show a gun* in the first act, then you have to have it go off by the third. [*the gun stands for a promise, something lurking that has to be addressed]

Charlotte is that gun and we are entering the middle of the series--if not the third act, close enough."

So, what do you think? For me, this sounds competely credible.

See? This is what I think as well. And if Joanne (the nick who wrote the above about Charlotte) is right, and Ch will come back in Book Four, this would also mean for me that Strike and Robin get together in the same book, and that before Ch appears.

Thank you very much benedek for your effort! It's a really interesting intepretation of JKR's headers! It could apply to the story if this time Charlotte comes back but Cormoran isn't willing to go back to her because he is in love with Robin or in a relationship with her! Maybe Charlotte won't accept his rejection and tries with her femenin wappons to win him back or declares "war" against the woman who is now in Cormoran's life! The only thing that still bothers me is that I see it to soon for Cormoran and Robin to start dating and I still doubt that Robin will be ready to be with another man so soon after a failed marriage! Maybe I'm wrong and Charlotte comes back even if Cormoran and Robin aren't in a relationship!
There are so many possibilities...
Charlotte comes back, Robin is married and Cormoran get's involved with her again!
Charlotte comes back, Robin is single but they are not dating and we see Cormoran's strugle between his first love and the woman he is in love now!
Charlotte comes back Cormoran instantly rejects her and she tries to win him over!
OMG my head started spinning around with all those scenarios! JKR must do something and soon or our heads might blow up! lol

07/06/2017 - 11:41 am

Wow, great posts, all of you!
I agree with LindMea about "redcap before the kiss" being about Strike arriving at the wedding right before the marriage is officially sealed. Combined with the repeated "there's still time" in CoE, I hope it's a good sign... But I don't know if Rowling will be so kind.

The Morrigan myth and the Friedrich Wilhelm monument are both very interesting. Now we have two references to the Fates... Knowing JKR, it can't be a coincidence. I like the idea of the three sisters representing the three women that seem to dominate Strike's life. I think this interpretation also fits with the idea of "doom":
1) Leda has become kind of a ghost that haunts Strike through the memories of his troubled childhood, and his need to find the truth about her sad, sudden death.
2) In Strike's thoughts, Charlotte really appears like a goddess or a force of nature: wild, untamed, unpredictable, ever present, always ready to wreak havoc in unexpected ways.
3) Robin, the woman Strike loves, and the one he may lose forever if she marries Matthew.

An illegitimate dead child? Interesting. This might be a reference to either Strike as Johnny Rokeby's son, or Strike and Charlotte's baby (the one she claims having lost).

07/06/2017 - 2:15 am

By the way, speaking about Twitter headers: does somebody happen to know here what Rowling's current header could mean? Could it be connected to the Cormoran Strike series at all?

Not sure how this applies! But again, veeryyy interesting.

(JK really needs to announce book 4 already before I go insane, lol)

~~~ Follow me on Tumblr | Find my Strike Series Fanfic on A03 ~~~

07/05/2017 - 8:22 pm

07/05/2017 - 8:15 pm

So, what do you think? For me, this sounds competely credible.

07/05/2017 - 6:35 pm

Pamela Fizler said

I didn't knew about the 4 months between announcement and release in the books of the series, so yeah we still have time this year! I believe too that we will have the release date in August, fingers crossed lol

I can see a way for a kiss between Robin and Cormoran a kinda accidently one though... If Matthew as the idiot he is after Robin's reaction while she said "I do" leaves her and Cormoran tries to comfort her and convince her that it wasn't her fault that Matthew reacted that way etc and she goes for a kiss on the cheek and he is so surprised and turning his head she meets his lips, I could imagine a kiss like that for a start!

As for Charlotte coming back I don't know what JKR said about it and I guess I didn't payed attention to her header on twitter, can you help me out here...? I always thought she will be back when Robin and Cormoran are ready to start a relationship or in the beginning of it! I only hope that Cormoran if not completly over her doesn't make the mistake of letting her back in his life and doesn't start dating her again for any reason!

I liked the idea of an accidently kiss kkk
I don't think Strike will come back with Charlotte, but i think she will appear again in Lethal White. In JKR's header had a crow in a white background and some people were saying it means Charlotte is back.

07/05/2017 - 6:04 pm

LindMea said

I guess we'll have to wait to find out, lol!!

If that is indeed the case, then I think that we will get an announcement of the release date in August, sometime around the airing of the BBC series - and I think the book itself will be released in December, in time for Christmas sales. There were four months between announcement and release for the other books in the series, and that would fit an August-December timeline. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

I liked the idea of an accidently kiss kkk