Book 4 Predictions | Discuss Cormoran Strike! | Discuss

Register Members

Book 4 Predictions
02/09/2017 - 4:21 am

What are your predictions for book 4?

Bunsen
02/09/2017 - 4:26 am

Robin will murder Matthew and then be a fugitive with Cormoran and they'll live happily ever after in the Caribbean.

02/09/2017 - 4:27 am

Sounds good to me!

Donna Norris
02/16/2017 - 10:43 pm

I think she marries Matthew and then regrets it. We will see massive fighting between them in book 4. I think it will be Matthew that will suggest the divorce.

I think Cormoran's business will flourish because he is consistently, with Robin's help, solving these difficult cases. I think the police might finally get a clue and use his expertise to actually solve cold cases.

I think we will see Charlotte again, just to piss off Strike. Stike may need to open his own restaurant just to keep him in food. The man can eat! LOL

When Matthew finally leaves Robin, it will get complected between Strike and Robin.

Ok, now I want book 4...LOL

benedek
02/17/2017 - 9:32 am

Do you think the girl in the guitarre shop will have a role some time in the future? She is mentioned so often...
Also: do you think it has some importance that the street where the office is located is full of music shops? I think one book will have a music-related plot...

Ares M
02/18/2017 - 9:00 am

Marriage to Matthew especially as i don't think Galbraith will want to bring Cormoran and Robin any closer than they have become - for the moment anyway. It would change dynamic of the books. I could see the return of Charlotte in a much more prominent role. The case could involve her as there are so many possibilities to explore with the character.

benedek
02/22/2017 - 12:39 pm

One more observation: Have you paid attention at the faith of Robin's wedding shoes?
She got five hundred pounds from her mother when she was leaving for Masham, and she told her: Either invest it in your single life or buy wedding shoes." and then "Take the money. Decide."
She took the money and bought wedding shoes, which she even showed Strike. And later she exchanged them to cash so that she can pay Shanker for his services.
I think this shoe stuff will come up somehow in the next book. Will Strike notice that she is not wearing the Jimmy Choo ones? (Even though Robin said that "you can barely see them.") I don't think that the scene when he looked at the shoes were in the third book just by chance... Probably we should interpret Robin giving the money finally to Shanker so that she in her soul decided against the wedding....
What do you think?
And sorry for my English, I am not a native speaker.

02/25/2017 - 3:21 am

Some really amazing things people have said on here! Really interesting! I apologise for the Forum being so inactive - we're new to this and still trying to figure things out. You can now register to the site so you don't have to log in as a guest. The Bookclub I started on Twitter will now be hosted on here on the Cormoran Strike Bookclub forum. We're starting The Silkworm and reading a chapter a day. Thanks for all your comments! 🙂

Ellie B.
02/26/2017 - 6:59 pm

I love what you said Benedek! (+ I love seeing we are several non native speakers around here 😉)

I think Robin will not find out about the missed calls erased by Matthew before a looooooong time. And because Cormoran does not talk about those things or will assume she had other things to think about he will not mention them . But whenever Robin will find out, that will be it. Matthew will be out of the picture.....unless she gets pregnant.... Why not?!

Ellie B.
02/26/2017 - 7:00 pm

02/27/2017 - 7:32 am

Robin finds a mystery while she's on her honeymoon, spends the entire two weeks detecting and making constant phone calls to Strike so he can consult; Matthew pitches a fit, and consequently, when Robin finally gets back to London it's as a single woman, wedding annulled.

The second half of the book is just Robin and Cormoran working cases and joking around, being generally adorable.

(I know this won't happen, don't care, it's my ideal fourth book!)

~~~ Follow me on Tumblr | Find my Strike Series Fanfic on A03 ~~~

02/27/2017 - 9:41 am

I was also thinking about this phone issue. Matthew not only deleted Strike's voicemail message and her entire call history but also blocked out Strike. Now that they reconsile, they may want to talk to each other over the phone again.
it is no way that it will remain unknown to Robin that Strike is blocked. Unless Matthew unblocks him (or how this is called), of course. But Robin has been so cautious with her online security (she kept deleting browser history and changing paswords on her computer), I would think she would change her passcode as well, knowing that she gave it to Matthew...

Ellie B. said

Ellie B.
02/27/2017 - 8:10 pm

OH MY GOD , BENEDEK!!!! 😱😱😱 i had forgotten about that!!!!! I need to read the end of the book again!!!!! Thank you!

Lindmea, I love the honeymoon idea.... But it's a bit Agatha Raisin for my taste! But god how much I'd love her to come back free of Matthew.

I dream of an investigation in Ireland / northern Ireland!

Or if Robin and Cormoran were stuck on an island for a while (jersey or isle of man...)

Or....OK, I'm getting out of control, so, I'll stop here.

02/27/2017 - 10:34 pm

I had never heard of Agatha Raisin, just looked it up... and it looks right up my alley!! so thanks for that, lol.

The two of them getting stuck on an island is what fanfic is for!

~~~ Follow me on Tumblr | Find my Strike Series Fanfic on A03 ~~~

Ellie B.
02/28/2017 - 5:39 pm

LindMea said

The two of them getting stuck on an island is what fanfic is for!

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!! So true!!! Didn't realise! You made my day!

02/28/2017 - 6:28 pm

And I just watched the first episode of Agatha Raisin, and IT made my DAY!! So we're even lol

~~~ Follow me on Tumblr | Find my Strike Series Fanfic on A03 ~~~

03/06/2017 - 12:31 pm

I think Strike wouldn't mind if he returned to London from Masham with Robin. Why would he otherwise hurry there, injured, exhausted and late, begging Shanker, sacrifising a substantial part of his future income... We read before in Career of Evil that "offhand, he could think of literally nothing he wanted to do less than watch Robin marry Matthew." And also, we've just seen in The Silkworm that if he doesn't want to do something he would just ignore that as long as possible, using all kinds of excuses (I mean here the pub meeting of Robin, Matthew and Strike) without remorse.
I know that he told Shanker in the car that he "of course not" wanted to stop the wedding, but I don't think it matters. All right, maybe he was not planning anything theatrical, but he could hope that something would happen... Why would he otherwise rush to Masham? OK, you can say that he wanted to talk to her, but he could have done that over the phone as well... (he didn't know that Matthew had blocked him), he could think that Robin didn't want to talk to him first, but she may change her mind over time and pick up the phone for him finally. Why not? And on the other hand, if he doesn't think that Robin ever wants to talk to him, why is he travelling to the wedding at all? Or, at least, why was he so much concerned to arrive on time? (He could have talked to her later, during the reception as well.)

Well, I am not saying that they will leave together, but I definitely think that there is a chance for it.
...

03/06/2017 - 12:56 pm

...
It would certainly need the willingness of Robin, which is not that straightforward. In Career of Evil it was already clear that she is also in love with Strike, but she has not admitted it to herself yet. Therefore I can imagine all the following three scenarios in book 4:
1: Robin and Strike leave together from the wedding despite Matthew's protest
2: they leave together because Matthew made a fuss about Strike's entrée in the church and Robin's reactions and he was not willing to finish the ceremony and this made the decision lighter and
3 Robin and Matthew get married and Strike leaves alone but they will soon get together. (The very latest in the fifth book, but I would say in the fourth.)

pros for scenario 1: Strike is definitely willing (as I explained above), Robin loves Strike
con could be that up to this point Robin was described to be so nice and fair with everybody that it may ruin her image. On the other hand, it could be a tool for Rowling to show that she continued to change and be independent (a process that started when she started working for Strike.) Another con could be that up to the point they last met (when Strike fired her) she had not admitted herself that she loved him. But it could turn out that over the days elapsed since then she managed to realize it, or, the latest, when he showed up on the wedding, and stared as he did (or will).

scenario 2 would help keeping the neat imagine of Robin and still achieve the same results.

scenario 3 would be the most fair towards Robin (although I have difficulty imagining the interactions between Strike and Robin on the wedding and later the honeymoon with Matthew...)

In any case, I definitely project a soon get together between Strike and Robin because she is a conscious adult woman interested in psychology, It would look very strange for me if she was unable to realize her own feelings within a relatively short time. And, if she realized she loved Strike, it would again look very strange for me if she just stayed with Matthew for reasons I cannot even imagine.

03/25/2017 - 5:05 pm

So at the end of CoE, Robin says, "I do" while smiling and looking into the eyes of Cormoran Strike. (Whose 40-minute-late entrance to their wedding was disruptive, just as Matthew foretold.) Matthew is described as Robin's "stone-faced husband," so does that mean he's already said his vows? What I'm getting at is this: If Matthew has not said his vows yet, perhaps he will refuse to do so and this will be the end of that relationship (finally!).

Rowling has promised to pick up the story right where CoE ended, so we'll get some sort of resolution at the scene of the wedding.

However, I don't think Cormoran and Robin will get together in book 4. It's too soon. The sexual tension between these two will be milked for all it's worth as long as possible (deliciously!). Then I predict that once they finally get together, Charlotte will crash onto the scene, perhaps newly divorced, with the intention of ruining Strike's life (after all, according to him, she has a huge taste for revenge, and she has to get him back for leaving her).

Joanne
05/17/2017 - 1:52 am

I remember that JK Rowling answered a fans question about whether Matt and Robin were married by telling the fan to read the last part.

Unfortunately, it seems by the quote you pointed out--in the very last chapter of the book--that clearly Matt is Robin's new husband.

But there are some other factors in the last chapter that I haven't seen people bring up--and I confess I hadn't really given them due diligence when I first read the ending. The biggest one is a piece of dialogue between Strike and Shanker as they rush to Marsham in hopes of not being too late; and it goes like this:

“Well, I’m going go try and get her back, aren’t I? But the next time she calls you—if she calls you—“ Strike said.
“Yeah, yeah, I’ll tell ya Bunsen.” (Pages 486-487 "Career of Evil")

In this one bit of dialogue Strike says right out loud what he's going to try and do. He is also worried that she might throw him out--only to be wonderfully surprised by Robin's actual reaction:

“I do,” said Robin in a ringing voice, looking straight into the eyes, not of her stony-faced NEW HUSBAND (caps mine), but of the battered and bloodied man who had just sent her flowers crashing to the floor.
(Page 489 “Career of Evil”)

The above paragraph also tells quite clearly that she sees that Strike is battered and bloodied. She doesn't yet know that it is because he caught the Shacklewell killer (since the announcement about the capture just came on the radio while Strike and Shanker were racing to Masham and while the ceremony was already in progress).

There is no way Robin will not go and try to find out what happened to Strike. It's her very nature to find out.

Her reaction tells me that they both will approach each other. But the only question is when? Strike will definitely try to get her back and she will defy Matt to find out what happened to Strike. I also believe that Matt will do whatever he can to keep them apart--I just don't know what exactly that will entail.

Strike did mention he didn't want to disrupt the wedding--ruin Robin's day--but I think that Matt will be the one that does that. He is definitely in his worse possible nightmare scenario by having Strike there at this time. Strike really doesn't have to do anything to get some real drama going from Matt--since Matt considers Strike his rival.

The disadvantage Strike will be in is the same disadvantage that an opposing team gets when they come on the home field and the local boy is made to look bad.

Somehow Strike and Robin have to get back together, but for the life of me--I don't know exactly how its going to play out for them to get there but I can't wait to read it to find out!