Book 4 Predictions | Discuss Cormoran Strike! | Discuss

Book 4 Predictions
06/21/2018 - 1:46 am

I know that this topic is not a prediction for book 5 but I have a prediction for that book:

I think in book 5 it will be finally Robin who will find out who the killer was. It will be time, don't you think?

Interesting! I love that. Robin has brilliant instincts and it would be fantastic to see her outdo Cormoran -- !

06/19/2018 - 7:46 am

Because in book for it will still be Strike. Rowling tweeted in February that "today, at long last, Strike thinks he knows who did it"

03/03/2018 - 12:30 pm

I read this a yearr ago. I always think that maybe Lethal White refers to a poisoned white pigment. White lead pigment was used in Europe paintings until XIXth century because caused death.

02/20/2018 - 8:12 pm

Leafling said

When she imagined Cormoran knocking on her door while they stayed at the hotel she didn't seemed scared at all at that thought though... I wonder what she would do if he indeed knocked on her door that night...

02/20/2018 - 2:50 pm

Leafling said

Now on the romantic level, her confidence took an even bigger hit. Her only sexual relationship was tainted by the rape and it took her and Matt time to get it back to even the point where it was before that incident. Now she is 27 and her only sexual relationship was still just Matt. Can you imagine how scary it must be for her to even think about another man in a sexual way, not to mention how vulnerable would make her feel to be in any sexual situation with a new man? I know you said romantically, but every romantic relationship leads to sex at some point. I can understand why she is timider, and why she hesitates to act and end her only relationship. No matter how much of a dickhead Matt is, she still considers him the safe option.

I think you've absolutely hit the nail on the head here!

02/20/2018 - 2:14 pm

Another thing I wanted to mention is that I do understand what connects Robin to Matthew and that many other women stay in relationships like that for those same reasons but Robin has chosen a job that puts her at risk every day and she couldn't take the risk to face a life as a single woman? And even if she stayed for misguided gratitude towards him and the things he did couldn't she see that if hadn't cheated he wouldn't have stayed or his behaviour towards her would be different?

Well we know that Robin, is just starting to get her confidence back and first she is getting it back on a professional level. She went into psychology to be a criminal profiler. Since her uni years wear interrupted by the rape she needed time to come to terms with it. Her career took the back seat and her family's opposition toward the ide of her working in any way related to crimes didn't really help her prospect and confidence. She is just starting to get back on track by working with Strike.

02/19/2018 - 7:10 pm

Yes, it doesn’t really fit, but she is changing. and she needs some flaws, doesn’t she? 🙂

I agree that it's better to stop something that would be wrong for you even in the last second but I don't know if Robin is realizig how wrong a marriage with Matthew is for her. I wish she does while seeing Cormoran standing there and refuses to go on with it!
For three books now we read about the drama between them not to add now the cheating thing that will come up every time they fight + the deleted phone calls&history. It's logical to have drama so is real life too but it my opinion it should be a different kind of drama for the next books.
Charlotte can come back to win back Cormoran or Cormoran by not revealing his feelings about her has to suffer as she starts going on dates to get to know other men.
Drama could also be if someone is accused of something and the other does anything in his power to save him.
The tension that exists between them is nice to read and watch but eventually it will get tiresome despite how a good a writer Rowling is.

I was disappointed that she didn't realize how much she is gonna miss him as a person apart from the job because he is the one person she came close to from the moment she came to live in London. He was much more than just her boss and enough days had past from the moment he fired her for her to focus only on her anger of loosing her job and not see that she didn't lost only that.
Also she is a smart woman and despite being in a relationship since her teen years that could make it a bit difficult to realize it she didn't once thought that what she felt during the events of CoE for Cormoran have a romantic basis and then deny it to herself because she wouldn't find it possible for this to be happening to her.

02/19/2018 - 3:30 pm

And, to tell you the truth, I don’t consider entirely wrong morally to step out of a marriage on the wedding day. it’s not nice, but not a sin. Divorce is socially acceptable, right? I don’t think it’s questionable. this is nothing more than a divorce. everybody should be entitled to change their minds. And I don’t imagine them sleeping together on the wedding day. A kiss is something that I find possible, yes. And this is because the text of CoE convinced me that Robin is really in love with Strike. (And the other way round, of course.) And - whether or not they will kiss each other on the wedding day - if Robin will not realize this very soon after her wedding, and, also, act on her feelings, I will be disapppointed from the series.

02/18/2018 - 6:07 pm

No, I definitely meant a kiss between Cormoran and Robin. Because (among others) I think that the Blue Öyster Cult line “a readhat a readhat before the kiss” as the subtitle of the last chapter means that. But I am fully aware that I may be wrong. I wish I could say that we’ll soon see.

02/18/2018 - 5:37 pm

But for me, there is a further (slightly less obvious) question, and this is what I consider the real cliffhanger: will they also kiss?

Umm, maybe it's just me, but Benedek -- weren't you referring to whether Robin and Matthew seal the marriage vows with the usual kiss ("You may kiss the bride")? And not about Robin somehow kissing Cormoran?

02/18/2018 - 4:31 pm

How can Robin and Cormoran kiss if she is already the wife of that tosser Matthew?

Being a wife of somebody nowadays does not mean being locked in a tower.
They can kiss just as they could have kissed before, I think.

Yes I know but it's way out of character for Robin to just marry Matthew and go and kiss Cormoran! We don't even know if she has realized her feelings for him in the time left to her wedding!
But even though she might have realized how she feels for him she kept on with the wedding and I doubt her morals would allow her to go kiss him. Also I would like to think that if she had realized that she is in love with someone else she wouldn't go through with marrying Matthew.

02/18/2018 - 4:23 pm

Being a wife of somebody nowadays does not mean being locked in a tower.
They can kiss just as they could have kissed before, I think.

02/18/2018 - 1:28 pm

Career of Evil finishes with these lines:

”The beautiful bride, who had not once smiled in the entire servcice, was suddenly beaming.
‘I do,’ said Robin in a ringing voice, looking straight into the eyes, not of her stony-faced new husband, but of the battered and bloodied man who had just sent her flowers crashing to the floor.”

I didn’t think there were many people who had doubt about whether Strike and Cormoran will get together again as work partners....

How can Rowling take back in the beginning of Lethal White these four words? (stony-faced new husband)

Since I've read Rowling's interview I'm starting to have the certainty that she will drag this situation between Robin and Matthew for long... I believe she will make her go through a hell of a marriage to get her divorced! I'll hate that bloody storline because I expected something different! I was hoping to not have their drama of the previous three books all over again but I can't say I'm so sure right now! I was hoping to see Robin develope but as a single woman, building a life on her own, with a flatmate, new friends, going on dates etc...

02/18/2018 - 7:41 am

Career of Evil finishes with these lines:

02/17/2018 - 8:43 pm

Just my personal take, but the cliffhanger is not necessarily about the wedding, even though that's where the book stops. To me, the cliffhanger is seeing how they get back to working together.

Robin took a big risk (to save Angel and Zahara) and angered Cormoran, so he fired her -- then he proceeds to take a similar risk himself (!!) to catch the killer. He has to recognize his own passion for justice in Robin and their similar unwillingness to let something go, even when they are warned to, when they are compelled to pursue it. So how can he not "forgive" her? Of course, such transactions are never simple when harsh words have been said, so how they smooth this out and get back to a good place again is (in my opinion anyway) the real cliffhanger.

You might be right about that but that would a be a major turn off for me because I can't concider this a cliffhanger since the books are about Cormoran and Robin working together and solving cases!
And J.K Rowling in my personal opinion always, whether the cliffhanger is about the ceremony or how Cormoran and Robin will start working together again shouldn't have left it at this point since it isn't at all case related and her books are concidered crime novels! She could just publish 4-5 more pages which she sure had written when she finished Career of evil and now will be the opening pages of Lethal White and end with the ceremony and Robin accepting going back to work and the fourth book should start like the previous ones with a few months later gap.

02/17/2018 - 5:32 pm

02/17/2018 - 11:33 am

irnbrugirl66 said
If they are connected then it must be about Whittaker then, as he is the one of the three where justice has not been achieved yet.

I've read that Career of evil and Lethal white were supposed to be one book but then it would be to long so it's logical to think that the case will be connected to something from Career of evil and if you count the title that reminds something of drugs my bet would be on Whittaker too and what happened to Cormoran's mother and my only objection is that she should have continued Career of evil until it was connected to the next case and not leave it in Robin's wedding ceremony!

J.K Rowling herself described the end of Career of evil as a cliffhanger but I can't see the point... I mean Matthew is described as "stony-faced new husband" so how are they not married and if they are married why is it concidered a cliffhanger at all, since it's clearly referring to the last chapter and the ceremony because there is nothing crime related to concider it as a cliffhanger to their next case!

02/17/2018 - 11:20 am

02/17/2018 - 9:08 am

Impulse said
The crime is the main hook though, it's what should draw you in. I'm hoping that cormorans and robins relationship wasn't just at the peak in the third book. I feel like it's going along nicely as it is for now, although I felt it a bit rushed at the end with cormoran admitting he fancied her, although I wouldn't mind robin admitting it to herself at the end of book 4.
Apparently books 3 and 4 was suppose to be one story but then there was too much going on, hence the 'cliffhanger' so the 4th case could be connected to the third one.

I really don't blame those who read J.K Rowling's books because of the characters and not about the case because she chose to make it personal and I understand them even though to me it still sounds a bad choice! Yes we love Cormoran and Robin and we want good things happening to them but in crime novels a cliffhanger like that isn't the ideal ending at least for me! Since Career of evil was suppposed to be one book she could continue the scene of the ceremony and write 30-40 pages after that to connect the crime story to Lethal White.
What I want to say is that the last crime novel I read that ended with a cliffhanger was Jo Nesbo's The thirst and it mixes personal with the next crime.
The killer met a woman at the gym which lives in the same neighborhood as the detective and it ends with him getting an order to commit a crime in that area so you keep wondering who is the person that's going to be killed... The neighbour, someone from the detective's family or someone completly random that happens to live in the same street... It's all crime related and a bit personal at the same time.
J.K Rowling even though the next case might be connected to Career of Evil chose to end her novel in a very personal moment that hasn't anything to do with crime so all discussions are based around the three characters this moment involves!
It would be an entire different story if another person was hidding to the ceremony following Cormoran and wanted to hurt him or Robin because then we wouldn't wonder if Robin gets married or not but who of the characters we know is going to get hurt by the killer or it was going to be another question alongside married/not married.

02/17/2018 - 12:21 am