Career of Evil Chapters 61 and 62 | Career of Evil | Discuss

Career of Evil Chapters 61 and 62
02/02/2018 - 1:15 am

I'm trying to figure out what could have realistically happened in the time spans that we know of. JKR has left us very few information on the days leading up to the wedding in 57, 61 + 62 - quite brilliantly so, because we were all so caught up in the showdown between Strike and Laing!

I found it very intriguing that she chose Matthew's POV for the ride back home in 57, something she rarely does. Except by doing that, she hid the fact that we don't know anything about what is going on with Robin!

So, to resolve the cliffhanger and see how the wedding would, realistically, end, we a) need to know how Robin is feeling in this situation and the moments leading up to her saying the vows, and b) we need to know how much time there was for any plot driving conflicts to have happend during this time. (and c) we need to know what the heck kind of service Matt and Robin were having because for the life of me i can't figure out, if there were saying their vows already, or if the were only making the declaration....)

I think your right I might have to have a re read of that last chapter or so, because I do feel like there's something going on we're missing (although I am probably completely wrong) I just don't know what. But it involving robin would makes sense as we only get glimpses of her, which chapter is her last chapter? Ok I'm going to find out right now and re read from her last chapter my heads going to be buzzing.

01/30/2018 - 7:23 pm

Actually there is a timeline on this site, under “The Books”:

It has some mistakes, but in general it is a good source.

Ah, great, thanks! I totally forgot about that. Yeah, so, they drive up on Thursday, and they arrive at Masham around midday leaving roundabout 48 hours until the service begins.

01/30/2018 - 6:50 pm

Actually there is a timeline on this site, under “The Books”:

It has some mistakes, but in general it is a good source.

01/30/2018 - 6:38 pm

Thirtieth of June - home for wedding

01/30/2018 - 6:24 pm

Leafling said

Well, we know that the calendar on Robin's kitchen wall was marked July 13 (2011) - going home for the wedding this was a Wednesday.
Douse the wedding takes place on a Saturday? Do we even know the exact date of the wedding?

July 2nd, 2011 is the wedding - which was a Saturday. Are you quite sure it was july 13th that was marked with "Home for wedding"?

01/30/2018 - 5:59 pm

01/30/2018 - 5:42 pm

Leafling said

I didn't think of the news, but your right 🙂 Why do you want to know the exact timeline? 🙂

01/30/2018 - 5:06 pm

You're right! Giving him an hour to get ready - only being able to use one hand and one leg - is more realistic.

Another hint to the timeline might be the news of the Shacklewell Ripper, which might well have been the news at the full hour (11.oo). After that Strike checks the time, and shortly thereafter they notice the first sign to Masham. So, it makes sense that after that they would be needing 15-20 minutes to finally get there.

01/30/2018 - 4:57 pm

Leafling said
Considering his injuries and leg, I would give Strike min. 1 h to get ready, I would say the ceremony started around 11AM ? What do you think?

01/30/2018 - 4:40 pm

01/30/2018 - 4:35 pm

Leafling said

I checked, but there is no further mention of the time.

At 5 Strike leaves the hospital where the police questioned him in between his treatment.
While leaving the hospital Shanker calls him, to inform him that he got a car.
He goes home to shower and eat something, then I presume they leave pretty much right away, and he sleeps in the car.
There is a flashback in the car that he doing his best to shave in front of his mirror at daybreak.
According to Google, the drive from London to Masham takes approx 5 h.

Thanks for checking, Leafling! So we could assume that Strike needs about an hour to get from the hospital back to his flat in Denmark Street (6 o'clock), which - considering he shaved and changed - would place Shanker's arrival roughly half and hour later (6: 30). Driving up north would take them 4,5 h, which places their arrival at St. Mary's Masham at about 11 o'clock - right?

Since we know that Strike arrived 20 minutes late, the service might have started at 10:30 (instead of 10:40, which would be an odd time for the ceremony to start). Do you agree? Have i missed something? (aside from the fact that i can hardly believe Shanker being awake at six in the morning lol)

01/30/2018 - 4:04 pm

Are you ready to talk about it now? 😉

So, I've been wondering: Do we have any indication *when exactly* the ceremony started? I only have the audiobook with me right now and can't check... I'm trying to build a timeline for the last 48 hours, and I'm somehow struggling to put together the timeline of the fateful Saturday.
The last indication of time seems to be that Strike left the hospital at 5 in the morning, right?

EDIT: spelling

I checked, but there is no further mention of the time.

While leaving the hospital Shanker calls him, to inform him that he got a car.
According to Google, the drive from London to Masham takes approx 5 h.

01/30/2018 - 3:50 pm

Cormoran Strike said
The final chapter... I can't get over this chapter. The cliffhanger is torture. I don't want to talk about it haha

Are you ready to talk about it now? 😉

EDIT: spelling

08/04/2017 - 6:47 am

The killer being revealed seemed different this time for some reason. In the other two books Strike is talking to the killer and lets them know it's them. In this one it's not him telling us who the killer is, but it's revealed by him turning up in Wollaston Close. It is shown to us, as opposed to us being told. I kinda like this, it's changing it up a bit, though I must admit I prefer the other two killer reveals with him telling them he knows it was them. I enjoyed the killers' reactions, the panic and the shock. With this it was just the killer turning up and them having a fight. I still love the way Strike brings all the clues and the leads together into the final concluding speech, while Laing is on the floor tied up like a trapped animal.

07/29/2017 - 3:00 pm

What do you think of how Strike catches the killer and the cliffhanger?